PDA

View Full Version : Unleash the dogs of war

Marian Perera
02-03-2008, 07:20 PM
I was walking from the bus stop to my workplace yesterday when this happened.

Across the two-way road from me, a guy was letting himself into an office building, and he had a dog with him. The dog wasn't on a leash. It took one look at me and ran towards me, barking its head off.

I stopped walking. It wasn't a large dog and I was wearing about four layers of clothes, so I doubted it could hurt me, and I thought I might excite it further if I looked as though I was running away. Besides, the sidewalks were covered with snow and ice. The guy just stood there as his dog tore across the road to get at me.

Dog : Woof woof woof!
Car : Vroom!
Me : Holy crap.
Guy : You son of a beech!

I'd never seen a car come out of nowhere like that, or drive so fast. The dog disappeared from sight, and I braced myself to see blood everywhere, but when the car drove on I saw the dog lying in the middle of the road in a little brown heap, making screamy whimpering sounds. I think the wheels missed it, but the undercarriage thumped it a good one. The guy came running then, and picked his dog up, still shouting after the driver. He didn't say a word to me, but hopefully that will teach him to keep his dog on a leash.

Devil Ledbetter
02-03-2008, 07:37 PM
That's an awful, helpless feeling, isn't it? I was driving home from work one day and saw my neighbor's tiny dog run into the road, into a line of oncoming traffic. I remember yelling "Pepe! No!"

The driver who hit him never even saw him.

I retrieved him from the road before he could get squished. His neck was broken. I carried him back to his house, but his owners weren't home. He was still warm as I laid him on their front lawn. I called Animal Control to pick up his body.

Elaine Margarett
02-03-2008, 07:39 PM
I more or less had this converasation with my sister-in-law. They let their dog run in the city, dog gets hit by car and they spend thousands! of dollars on vet bills. "It's the driver's fault," she says. "He didn't even stop." (It's a tiny dog; he probably didn't even feel it.) I'd say, "But your dog was in the street!" Whereas she repeats, "He didn't even stop." And I say, "Your dog was in the street!" And she says, "But he didn't even stop." Sigh.

I stopped arguing years ago about the benefit of having a fence; and it's not like they dont' have the money!

Their dogs are also not housetrained, their cats occasionally dissapear never to return, and their kids...well, we won't go there.

EM

Stew21
02-03-2008, 07:49 PM
My old golden retriever slipped out the door one time - he never was one to run, but that day he did. He ran so fast - busy road right there, I thought for sure he was a goner. Can you believe he turned left and stayed on the sidewalk? I couldn't believe how terrified I was.

The_Grand_Duchess
02-03-2008, 07:54 PM
My old landlord used to take her pomorain out to pee in the mornings without a leash. One morning the dog for whatever reasons decided to chase Winston who was the neighbor's cat. She chased him right into the road. He got to other side, she didn't.

She was a very sweet dog.

Cars are the number one reason why I have indoor cats. I'm so afraid that they'll be hit. So they stay inside. Period.

Elaine Margarett
02-03-2008, 08:07 PM
The idiot QOS posted about is lucky his dog didn't cause an accident, because he would have been liable. We had a case in MD where a horse was loose and hit by a car. Driver was paralyzed as a result, sued, and won a multi-million dollar law suit. As she deserved.

People are responsible for controlling their animals!

EM,
rabid proponent of dog training