Projection Technology ca. 1920

orion_mk3

Ne Cede Malis
Registered
Reaction score
I'm curious what technology would have been available for public presentations and lectures around 1920-25, specifically on college campuses and in lecture halls.

I know that "magic lanterns" were known and used in the 1800's, but I'm not sure if a university classroom would ever be equipped with one. There seems to be a gap in projection technology between the magic lantern and the modern slide projector (ca. 1948).

In essence, I need to know if my character's lecture can be accompanied by projected images or if he needs to bring drawings and use a chalkboard.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
I don't have an answer to your exact question, but, even in the 50's and 60's, projected images were rare. College classrooms were equipped with large flip charts (3' x 5' probably) and the profs used them extensively for historical maps and scientific material. And yes, there was a lot of handwritten material on the boards. Puma

Tsu Dho Nimh

Registered
Reaction score
I'm curious what technology would have been available for public presentations and lectures around 1920-25, specifically on college campuses and in lecture halls.

I know that "magic lanterns" were known and used in the 1800's, but I'm not sure if a university classroom would ever be equipped with one. There seems to be a gap in projection technology between the magic lantern and the modern slide projector (ca. 1948).

In essence, I need to know if my character's lecture can be accompanied by projected images or if he needs to bring drawings and use a chalkboard.

Lantern slide lectures were popular then, especially those given by naturalists. The microbiologist Koch was quite fond of lantern slides ... he was probably the inventor of photomicrography and used them to show others exactly what he had seen.

If he were giving the sotr of lecture that benefited from illustrations, it's not anachronistic.

http://geoimages.berkeley.edu/GeoImages/LanternSlides/LanternSlides_TOC.html
http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/collections/landscape/lanternhistory.html