Red Room/ new site, helpful for book promotion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Susan B

Accordion Dreams
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.blairkilpatrick.com
Not sure where this belongs, maybe book promotion ideas. Among other things, it offers a web page/blog at no cost to published authors. (Supposed to be aimed especially at "midlist" types!) But it's of broader interest, I think.

Anyone hear of "Red Room"? It grew out of an organization in the SF Bay Area: www.redroom.com

It got some attention recently in the local press:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/01/08/DDD9U9GHI.DTL

Seems it could be helpful to the about-to-be-published. And kind of interesting to jump around and read a bunch of author sites gathered in one spot. I also like the idea they support designated charities.

Susan

kimmer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.scholarshipstreet.com
I checked it out. I found it through Backspace newlsetter. To be honest, I'm getting burned out by the many "opportunities" presented to new writers. I already have have two websites, a blog, a bi-weekly newspaper column, book coming out soon, workshops/speaking appearances and more. The problem is that none of this really pays the bills (except a few speaking engagements). While I have a background in marketing and appreciate the opportunity, I'm weighing what are called "opportunity costs." Yes, I intend to read it and check it out but I'm not clear yet on the benefits of joining or the benefits of submtting my work. If anyone can clearly explain the benefits, please let me know.

Susan B

Accordion Dreams
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.blairkilpatrick.com
I just put a page on Redroom. You can see it here
http://www.redroom.com/author/john-elder-robison

I don't yet know what the benefits may be, but I'll find out and report back.

Well, the fact that you signed up is a good endorsement, John!

(The link to your page doesn't seem to be working yet.)

I initially signed up as a member (open to all), looked around, then filled out the application to get an author page, on the strength of having an upcoming book. I was just accepted. Have started putting together the page, but it will only become "visible" to the rest of the world when the book is--in the fall, when it's published.

Susan

Susan B

Accordion Dreams
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.blairkilpatrick.com
I filled out the application and have a good log in status, but can't get my author page to load up so I can include blogs, newsletters, reviews and book covers.

Pisser. I've been a member three weeks, so I don't know what the hold up is.

Tri

Have you written to ask why you aren't "public" yet Tri?

I got a nice message last week out of the blue from author support, wanting to help me figure out a way to "qualify" so my site would go live. So now it is up (see below), somewhat in advance of my book being published. (It was on the strength of my band's CD being out there in the world, I think.)

You should definitely check with them!

Status
Not open for further replies.