My very first earnings as a writer

Susan B

Accordion Dreams
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.blairkilpatrick.com
Embarrassing to admit, but this is my "first time" so I wanted to share it.

Last week I deposited the first check that represented earnings from writing. First installment of the advance for my upcoming music memoir--my first book. A very modest advance, in the tradition of university presses, but suddenly this all seems very real.

It's even enough to cover the cost of the new printer I had to buy when the old one died after one too many manuscript copies :)

Susan

Susan B

Accordion Dreams
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.blairkilpatrick.com
Yay! Congratulations. I hope this is the start of a prosperous career for you.

Thanks for the good wishes, everyone!

Not holding my breath about the "prosperous career" though! This book was the proverbial labor of love, and I have no immediate plans to quit my day job. I've been a psychologist for 25+ years, so I'm what you'd call a late-in-life writer :) Definitely a return to an old dream.

Now, I'll just have to hope my current printer holds up for awhile.....

Susan

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
You may think your first cheque is modest, but if it can garner a new printer, it's more substantial than mine, which got me burgers for two at Burger King!

Don't be embarrassed - you deserve it, and I hope you have many more. Congratulations!

Susan B

Accordion Dreams
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.blairkilpatrick.com
You may think your first cheque is modest, but if it can garner a new printer, it's more substantial than mine, which got me burgers for two at Burger King!

Don't be embarrassed - you deserve it, and I hope you have many more. Congratulations!

Thanks for the good wishes!

(Let me add that it was a modest printer--though a step up from the old ink jet. Did some research on AW and got a nice cheap black and white laser printer. Entered the modern era!)

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Congratulations, Susan! That's great news. Here's to hoping it is the first of many!

Chickenscratch

Registered
Reaction score
Susan, that is so fantastic. I'm "from" that area, and Ole Miss press is a classy way to go.

As someone who's been pimping her writing to podunk newspapers since age 18, it's unfathomable that your first check would be for a BOOK. That's huge. That's crazy. That's ... a lot of hard work. Good job!

Oh, and keep us posted on the release date. My mom is a musician in Greenville, Miss., so I'll be sure to buy her a copy. Her undergrad is in music ed from Ole Miss.

K1P1

Procrastination is its own reward
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations, Susan. I'm sure it's only the first of a long line of payments.