• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Easley Literary Agency (Kiesha Easley)

Sahzee7

She wants to review my work. P&E indicated nothing is known about her. I can't seem to access the agent research and evaluation website. HELP!

Last edited by a moderator:

James D Macdonald

Re: Know anything about Easley Literary Agency? Kiesha Easle

No listing for Kiesha Easley or the Easley Literary Agency at <a href="http://www.agentresearch.com/" target="_new">Agent Verification</a>.

Agent Verification says: "If you cannot find the name of the agent or agency you're after, send us an e-mail with the name of the agent, the agency, and as much as you know of the address. We'll get back to you ASAP."

Their address is [email protected]

The Easley Literary Agency's website is <a href="http://www.easleylit.netfirms.com/" target="_new">here</a>.

Have you asked Ms. Easley for a reference list and the title/author/publisher of some recent sales?

Remember the rule: A useful agent has sold books you've heard of.

vstrauss

Re: Know anything about Easley Literary Agency? Kiesha Easle

A useful agent has not only sold books you've heard of, s/he posts that information on her/his website. If sales info is absent from an agent's website, it's a sign that you need to do some further checking.

There's also no indication that Ms. Easley had professional publishing or agenting experience before setting up her agency. People who come to agenting from non-publishing-related fields rarely manage to make a go of it.

A couple more items of concern, from the agency's contract (here: www.easleylit.netfirms.co...ract.htm):

- Clauses 8 and 9 contradict each other. Clause 8 empowers the agent to hire co-agents, and sets the commission at 15% to be split between them. Clause 9 sets a commission of 20% for foreign sales. But foreign sales, by definition, require co-agents. So shouldn't foreign sales also be charged at 15%?

- In Clause 11, the agent retains the right to continue to represent foreign rights and other subrights in any contracted work even after the agency agreement has been terminated (this is a clause you may also find in the contracts of some well-established agencies). This is not author-friendly--if you leave your agent (presumably for good cause), why should she be able to hold onto your subrights? Not to mention, bringing subrights with you can make you more attractive to a new agent.

- Victoria

Stace001

Re: Easley Literary Agency

Hi Sophie,
I have done a little research on them, as they just requested my manuscript. They don't charge up front fees, and they seem to be by the book, however I'm having difficulty finding any information on their book deals. I guess we just keep looking...sorry I couldn't be much help.

sdmoriarty

Re: Easley Literary Agency

Stace:

I tried to respond to your email twice, but each time it bounced for a bad address.

Sophie

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Site hasn't been updated since 2004. There's an active content writer of the same name, but no agent.