Best Opening Lines in mystery/crime/thrillers

gp101

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Since opening pages, and especially opening sentences, are so important for every story, and since our genre has particular necessities to grab our particular readers, I thought it would be useful to share opening lines of some of our favorite mysteries/crime/thrillers. I think it might help us all to learn how pubbed writers do it. And it might turn us on to new authors.

I'll start. I just started reading Lee Child's Jack Reacher series. I'm on my second novel of the series. Really good stuff. Here's the opening paragraph from the first book in the series, "Killing FLoor":

"I was arrested in Eno's Diner. At twelve o'clock. I was eating eggs and drinking coffee. A late breakfast, not lunch. I was wet and tired after a long walk in heavy rain. All the way from the highway to the edge of town."

I love, love the first three sentences. First line has me asking, obviously, "why was he arrested?" The third line gives me a sense that this guy is funny, in a way; he's getting arrested but telling me what he ate for breakfast? The second line gives time of day, but is more for the rhythm of the paragraph. A nice short fragmented sentence. Child LOOOOOves the fragments. But he lets me know early on that this is how he writes. And for some reason, the directness, the no frills nature of fragments, makes the writing seem more hard-boiled. The rest of the paragraph didn't do much for me. Some of the rest of the opening chap was equally "skipable" but there were parts that the narrator--first person of MC--explains certain key info in such an authoritative way that made him very believable. And the restraint the MC shows endears me to him. A very cool cat... even if he can be a killing machine when he wants. Highly recomend this novel.

I really like the novel. Even though I enjoy fragments, Child kinda over-does it. And I think he may have at least one character "shrugging" on every page--very annoying. Other than that, the plot was spot on, even though you could figure out pieces of it before the main characters should have. The characters themselves were very enjoyable. The MC himself, Jack Reacher, very cool, very methodical, very believable. The kind of guy you wish you had as a friend.

Anyone else with comments on Child? Or better yet, what openings can you share that you think are kick-ass?

Last edited:

Elaine Margarett

High and Dry
Registered
Reaction score
Anything by Dick Francis

Can't come up with anything off the top of my head, but DF is a master at grabbing the reader's attention right off the bat.

EM

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I love Alexander McCall Smith's No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series. The first book sets the tone and location brilliantly and lures me in with it's promise of the exotic.

Mma Ramotswe had a detective agency in Africa, at the foot of Kgale Hill. These were its assets: a tiny white van, two desks, two chairs, a telephone and an old typewriter. Then there was a teapot, in which Mma Ramotswe--the only lady private detective in Botswana--brewed redbush tea. And three mugs--one for herself, one for her secretary, and one for the client. What else does a detective agency really need?

stc

Registered
Reaction score
I love Lee Child too--have read 5-6 Reacher books so far. Maybe he overdoes the sentence fragments, but he can get away with it.

Another opening sentence? How about:

"When I finally caught up with Abraham Trahearne, he was drinking beer with an alcoholic bulldog named Fireball Roberts in a ramshackle joint just outside of Sonoma, California, drinking the heart right out of a fine spring afternoon."

--James Crumley, "The Last Good Kiss"

Last edited:

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The last camel died at noon.

I defy the reader not to go on. Especially considering that the book's original cover has a swastika on it, not a desert. What camel? Where the hell are we? What's this got to do with Nazi Germany? And what's going to happen to the person who's now camel-less?

This is from Ken Follett's The Key to Rebecca and is my all-time-favorite first line, in any genre.

Maryn, biased

JJ Cooper

Registered
Reaction score
Killing Floor by Lee Child was the only 'Reacher' book he did in first person POV. And probably the only one I wasn't all that keen on. For me it just didn't feel right. I'm definately a big fan of the rest, though.

The Poet by Michael Connelly is on a list of top 100 'must read' books over here at one of our big chain outlets. I haven't got around to it yet, but have recently discovered his 'Detective Bosch' novels and I'm hooked. Almost finished Angels Flight.

I'll go through my collection and post some opening lines.

JJ

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
"The first time I laid eyes on Terry Lennox he was drunk in a Rolls-Royce Silver Wraith outside the terrace of The Dancers"

The Long Goodbye - Raymond Chandler. Sets up plenty of questions, and introduces wealth and trouble at the same time...

Willie

stc

Registered
Reaction score
Killing Floor by Lee Child was the only 'Reacher' book he did in first person POV. And probably the only one I wasn't all that keen on. For me it just didn't feel right. I'm definately a big fan of the rest, though.
JJ

Actually, Child wrote other Reacher books in first person:

From
http://www.leechild.com/faqnew.html#first_person

"So far in the series, Killing Floor, Persuader, and The Enemy are in first person narrative."

"Die Trying, Tripwire, Running Blind/The Visitor, Echo Burning, Without Fail, One Shot, The Hard Way, and 2007's Bad Luck and Trouble are in third person."

JJ Cooper

Registered
Reaction score
I sat across the table from the man who had battered and tortured and brutalized me nearly thirty years ago. Sleepers - Lozenzo Carcaterra

gp101

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I sat across the table from the man who had battered and tortured and brutalized me nearly thirty years ago. Sleepers - Lozenzo Carcaterra

Oooh... I so want to read that now. I'm envisioning all kinds of cool redemption/revenge. I hope he doesn't dissapoint in that regard.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have a problem with "Sleepers." Carcaterra sold it as non-fiction, and sold movie rights, making plenty of money with it. It's pretty horrific, what happened to those kids, genuinely shocking if true.

The incidents it contains would have left a great many paper trails in different offices in New York and Albany, from Corrections to court dockets and transcripts to Social Services to DA's offices. However, no paper evidence corroborating the events in "Sleepers" can be found. None. He made it up.

It's now shelved as fiction, and I refuse to read any of the guy's other novels. I don't believe he deserves to prosper.

Maryn, returning the thread to the first lines

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
Elizabeth Peters: The Last Camel Died at Noon -- is the TITLE. Link goes to p. 1. Gotta love a writer who can pack that much into a first paragraph, including the correct use of "recumbent ruminant."

But favorite first line? Dashiell Hammett wins that for The Dain Curse:

"It was a diamond all right, shining in the grass half a dozen feet from the blue brick wall."

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I can't think of a specific line, but all of Andrew Vachss' Burke novels open with a grim hook that lets you know from page 1 this is going to be a dark and gritty read.

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
Dr David Mitchell waved me toward the dead proffesor's chair. Rick Riordan- The Last King of Texas-

Just about anything by Robert Crais- Love Crais-

Linton Robinson

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
"Sometimes he felt like grabbing a fat man and throwing him thorugh a window."
Horse Lattitudes, Robert Ferrigno.

"When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."
Firebreak by Richard Stark (Better known as Donald Westlake)

Or just about any first line by Ross Thomas.

Here's a link to a nice little directory of first lines. Wish they had more.

http://itopens.7fffl.co.uk/firstW.php

Captain Howdy

closer + prettier than ever
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Chapter One of The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty is one of my all time favorite opening lines, and being that it is considered "a supernatural detective story", would like to quote it here.
"Like the brief doomed flare of exploding suns that registers dimly on blind men's eyes, the beginning of the horror passed almost unnoticed; in the shriek of what followed, in fact, was forgotten and perhaps not connected to the horror at all. It was difficult to judge."

Manderley

Slowly does it.
Registered
Reaction score
"Last night I dreamt I went to Manderlay again."

See, I don't get that (you wouldn't think so, what with my nick and all, love the story, hate the first line). I know the line is famous, but I cannot see why, as it's such a dull sentence. It makes me go: "I don't know what Manderlay is, I don't care yet, and frankly me dear, I don't give a damn about your dreams."

I think it's such a poor way to start a novel, I was surprised to see Kate Morton use as pastiche of it in The House at Riverton: "Last November I had a nightmare. It was 1924 and I was at Riverton again." (Albeit the surprise ended as I read on: it's a pretty dull novel, so why not use a dull start).

If I were to pick one, I'd probably go for the first sentence in the proologue of The Secret History by Donna Tartt: "The snow in the mountains was melting and Bunny had been dead for several weeks before we came to understand the gravity of our situation."

It's not perfect, but it achieves a lot: It sets the place, the time of year, establishes that someone is dead, and that this person is known to the main character, that there are several main characters, and that they are in some sort of a predicament.

Manderley

Slowly does it.
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, but what your asking deserves the first paragraph - not the first sentence.

JJ

I didn't realise I was asking any questions? What am I asking?

All I really want from a first sentence, is not to be bored (anything beyond that is a bonus, and I don't even ask to be hooked by the first sentence, I'm not that impatient a reader). Du Maurier failed, Tartt succeeded.

JJ Cooper

Registered
Reaction score
Snip

If I were to pick one, I'd probably go for the first sentence in the proologue of The Secret History by Donna Tartt: "The snow in the mountains was melting and Bunny had been dead for several weeks before we came to understand the gravity of our situation."

It's not perfect, but it achieves a lot: It sets the place, the time of year, establishes that someone is dead, and that this person is known to the main character, that there are several main characters, and that they are in some sort of a predicament.

Bolding mine. What I'm saying is - this seems like a lot of info in the first sentence. Had it been drawn out a little into the first para, it may have helped.

JJ

Manderley

Slowly does it.
Registered
Reaction score
Bolding mine. What I'm saying is - this seems like a lot of info in the first sentence. Had it been drawn out a little into the first para, it may have helped.

JJ

But reading the sentence by Tartt as quoted, do you really think it's heavy going?

I'm not asking all first sentences to contain this much info, I just state that this particular one manages to do so.

JJ Cooper

Registered
Reaction score
As soon as someone puts 'was' in the first sentence, I put the book down.

JJ

ETA - Well, maybe not every time.

Last edited: