PDA

View Full Version : Survey

swove
02-02-2008, 07:38 AM
I am on a break from working on editing my story and improving my grammar and Punctuation and thought you might enjoy a survey, feel free to ignore any or all the questions, my feelings will not be hurt :D

Allow me to begin:

When did you realize you wanted to be a writer?I wish I could say always, but that would not be true, I have always had a story in me just never believed in myself to do it.

Have you always had the passion to write? I have never had a real passion for anything. Is that wrong?

What do you do when you get writers block? Like right now? Basically pull my hair out and wonder if I will ever be able to do this!

When did you get over the feeling that "my work is just not good enough?" I will get back to you on that

Do you listen to music while writing? If so who do you listen to? I try to keep the room quite when I write

Favorite musician/band?So many to choose from here, Pink Floyd would be my all time favorite, but I like everything from classic rock, Christian rock, country almost everything but Rap (don't hate me)

All time Favorite Movie/ TV show? TV Show: HBO- Deadwood, Movie, I like so many but I guess my all time favorite would have to be Star wars

What do you do to relax?Play video games

Do you have a Blog/Website? Yes, http://hoarandora.blogspot.com/ (http://hoarandora.blogspot.com/)

DWSTXS
02-02-2008, 07:47 AM
When did you realize you wanted to be a writer? since I was in the first grade and picked up a book a started reading.

Have you always had the passion to write? Yes, I've had the passion....but haven't written much. enough. The spirit has been willing, but the flesh weak.

What do you do when you get writers block? I do research for all my 'other' WIP's

When did you get over the feeling that "my work is just not good enough?" I heve never felt like my work wasn't good enough........I'm just waiting for someone else to recognize it........

Do you listen to music while writing? I have 20 GB of music on my laptop.....I have earphones....I cannot write in silence...........my music is the 'soundtrack' to what I'm writing.........(currently I'm writing a novel about the 60's and 70's...sex, drugs and rock and roll............so, my favorite music, 60's and 70's rock, really IS the soundtrack to what I'm writing)

Favorite musician/band? As a band....The Who........individual....Bob Dylan

All time Favorite Movie/ TV show? TV Show: HBO- Deadwood - Movie, Almost Famous

What do you do to relax? Play games on the puter (Scrabble, Yahtzee, poker....yeah, I know, I'm boring)

Do you have a Blog/Website? No, but I have a web-site for my photography. www.pbase.com/dwstxs

writerterri
02-02-2008, 07:48 AM
When did you realize you wanted to be a writer?

About an hour ago. Oh, when I had children and started reading to them.

Have you always had the passion to write?

There was always a lot of fiction that came out of my mouth growing up so when I was in my 3...20's (around 5 years ago) I flowed easily and became my passion.

What do you do when you get writers block?

Drink like a fish. Water. It dilutes my brain.

When did you get over the feeling that "my work is just not good enough?"

You mean I will arrive?! I'll let you know when I get there.

Do you listen to music while writing? If so who do you listen to?

I mostly listen to my bird or the new classics (80's) top 40 or cover band stuff.

Favorite musician/band?

Poison. The girly man really does something for me. Okay, Wings. No, Van Halen! Back when, but now I just have favorite songs. I really like Kelly Clarkson.

All time Favorite Movie/ TV show?

Muriel's Wedding. My Big Fat Greek Wedding. My Best Friends Wedding. Do you see a theme here?

What do you do to relax?

Post.

Calla Lily
02-02-2008, 07:57 AM
When did you realize you wanted to be a writer? About age 9.

Have you always had the passion to write? Yup. I've been...odd... all my life. :D

What do you do when you get writers block? Research

Ask me after I'm dead. Maybe.

Anything not in English, or anything instrumental. I listened to lots of traditional Irish music while writing my first ms., and it worked its way into the plot. :)

Favorite musician/band?

Denver and the Mile High Orchestra! (see avatar) They're coming to my neck of the woods again at the end of June. Yeah! That'll make 8 times I've seen them live. (I'm so too old to be a groupie...)

The Prisoner of Zenda (Ronald Colman version *sigh*)
Forever Knight

What do you do to relax? Knit, read

Do you have a Blog/Website? Not yet

nerds
02-02-2008, 06:09 PM

When I was six, Carl Sandburg's Fog was read to me - "The fog comes on little cat feet." I knew then that I wanted someday to draw word pictures.

Haven't ever had it.

The only area where I've felt that is in poetry, because mine isn't any good, lol. And that's okay.

Do you listen to music while writing?

Usually not, it tends to distract me. Once in a while I'll put some Chopin on low volume but that's about it. Quiet works best for me.

Favorite musician/band?

Could never choose only one.

Casablanca, Cheers

What do you do to relax?

I can't remember.

swove
02-02-2008, 07:46 PM
Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond to this silly little survey :welcome::Soapbox:

sunna
02-02-2008, 07:59 PM
When did you realize you wanted to be a writer?I think college, but I ignored myself until I'd been out in the workforce for a few years.

Have you always had the passion to write? Since I was about 5; so maybe I've been ignoring myself a little longer than I thought.

What do you do when you get writers block? Eat chocolate, drink martinis, whinge until people get sick of hearing me, then park my butt in my office chair and MAKE myself write something. This usually works, though it may have more to do with the martinis than anything else.

When did you get over the feeling that "my work is just not good enough?" Took about a month the first time, a few weeks the 2nd, a few days the 3rd, a week the 4th......further bulletins as events warrant. If it goes away for good at some point, I'd be glad to hear it.

Do you listen to music while writing? If so who do you listen to? Generally not, but sometimes I'm in the mood for it, and then it's always trance or classical - Oakenfold, Taucher, Moby, Vivaldi, Beethoven, Mozart, etc.

Favorite musician/band? Too many to choose from, far too many to list :)

All time Favorite Movie/ TV show?TV show - Firefly. All 1/2 a season of it. Movie....hmmm. A tie between Hedwig and the Angry Inch, Dancer in the Dark, and The Color Purple

What do you do to relax? Read, take a long hot bath....preferably both. With bubbles and a glass of white wine and a backrub afterward if I can wheedle Mr. Sunna into that.

Do you have a Blog/Website? *snort* Like I don't have enough to do...

Shady Lane
02-02-2008, 08:59 PM
When did you realize you wanted to be a writer? When i was four I wanted to be an art scientist because I liked art and I like science. I didn't even know what an art scientist did, though. But I knew what a writer did. So I changed my mind.

Have you always had the passion to write? cha. It was always sort of a coping mechanism...my first day of elementary school, I was too scared to talk to anyone so I sat down and wrote a story. About this girls searching for magic apples or something...and she was my last female MC for 10 years.

What do you do when you get writers block? Angst, whine, and edit something I already have.

When did you get over the feeling that "my work is just not good enough?" If I'm in the first draft--stop. If I'm past the first draft--then it's part of the process and you push forwards. If it's a general feeling...sleep.

Do you listen to music while writing? If so who do you listen to? Nah, I watch TV. Usually House or Friends reruns.

Favorite musician/band?Motion City Soundtrack.

All time Favorite Movie/ TV show? Movie would have to be Fight Club, TV Show would be House.

What do you do to relax? Talk to you kids.

Do you have a Blog/Website? I blog with a lot of other YA writers from AW--www.yappingaboutyoungadult.blogspot.com Check it out. It's sweet.

Devil Ledbetter
02-02-2008, 09:54 PM
When did you realize you wanted to be a writer? Third grade. I read fairy tales all the time. Around then, I realized I could write my own. My first was called The Four Frogs.

Have you always had the passion to write? Yes.

What do you do when you get writers block? I don't get writer's block, but I do get stuck in plotting sometimes. When that happens, I agonize for a few days, then grill my characters until one of them breaks down and tells me what really happens next.

When did you get over the feeling that "my work is just not good enough?" I don't know. I've been writing all my life, and all the feedback I've ever gotten was either positive or constructive. I've always felt qualified.

Do you listen to music while writing? If so who do you listen to? Yes. Invariably. Lately, My Morning Jacket.

Favorite musician/band? Pearl Jam of course.
All time Favorite Movie/ TV show? Movie: High Fidelity. TV Show: Inside The Actor's Studio.

What do you do to relax? Goof around on my internet boards. Apparently, I relax waaaaaay too much.

Do you have a Blog/Website? I run a large website, but it isn't about me, so no.

stormie
02-02-2008, 10:12 PM
[quote=swove;2023471]
When did you realize you wanted to be a writer? Eight years ago.

Have you always had the passion to write? Nope. Not til eight years ago.

What do you do when you get writers block? Stand on it and use it as my soapbox.

When did you get over the feeling that "my work is just not good enough?" Never. That's their opinion, not mine.

Do you listen to music while writing? If so who do you listen to? Whatever my sons are playing at full blast when they're home.

Favorite musician/band? :Shrug:

All time Favorite Movie/ TV show? :Shrug::Shrug:

What do you do to relax? Read.

Do you have a Blog/Website? Yep. Look at my sig line, go to that link, then link again. I make it so-o-o easy to find!!

akiwiguy
02-03-2008, 12:30 AM
When did you realize you wanted to be a writer? Quite a young age, but that didn't exactly translate into doing anything about it. Other than sporadically, have only really written last couple of years.

Have you always had the passion to write? Answered by the above really.

What do you do when you get writers block? Do fun exercises that sometimes become serious exercises. Play around forming stories from random words, that kind of thing.

When did you get over the feeling that "my work is just not good enough?" It's just beginning to happen recently. I realised that needing other people to stroke my ego was a bit insatiable. It never seemed to make me feel better. And something has clicked inside me, quite objectively, that to some reasonable level I can actually write. Some self confience at last.

Do you listen to music while writing? Music fires up my creativity, but not while I'm writing. But nothing like totally darkening the room and getting lost in say Pink Floyd's Pulse dvd. What a trip.

Favorite musician/band? Lots of them. All time would be perhaps Pink Floyd, Red Hot Chili Peppers.

All time Favorite Movie/ TV show? TV Show: Don't watch much telly, but I always loved the Brit series such as The Singing Detective. Movies, hmmm, for a cult classic Pulp Fiction. I often notice small budget independent movies that I think are very good.

What do you do to relax? Burn the stress out at the gym

Do you have a Blog/Website? No. I have my own website, to be more work related, that has said "Under Construction" for months. I'll get around to it.

swove
02-03-2008, 08:02 AM
Great responses everyone, nice to see how we are all the same, yet still quite different :D:Hug2::hooray::snoopy::roll::partyguy:

Jersey Chick
02-03-2008, 08:41 AM
When did you realize you wanted to be a writer? I don't remember - it seems like I've always been making up stories.

Have you always had the passion to write? Absolutely. I can't remember a time when I didn't feel the need to write (well... until this past week - when I don't want to get anywhere near a keyboard)

What do you do when you get writers block? I work on something else - I've always got at least one (usually more) WIP that I dive into when I'm stuck. If that doesn't work, I sit at my desk with a glass of wine and just write anything. Sometimes it's crap, but sometimes I have the EUREKA moment

When did you get over the feeling that "my work is just not good enough?" I've gotten over it? I don't think I'll ever be able to sit back and go, 'Oh, yeah - that is perfect. I always think it sucks.

Do you listen to music while writing? If so who do you listen to? That depends. Sometimes I do, sometimes I listen to talk radio, and sometimes I just want absolute silence.

Favorite musician/band?Bruce Springsteen, The Rolling Stones, Billy Joel, and Elton John are my favorites, but I listen to just about anything - classic rock, 80s hair metal, classic metal. I don't like C&W, or rap though (with the exception of Eminem.)

All time Favorite Movie/ TV show? Favorite movie is a tie between Jaws and The Empire Strikes Back. TV: ER, CSI, and my newest favorite: Reaper.

What do you do to relax?Play with my kids, read, I'm learning to knit (but I'm not really that good at it), I draw, do crosswords and Sudoku puzzles.

Do you have a Blog/Website? Yep - A Few Thoughts (http://www.kimberlynee.blogspot.com) and a website, but it hasn't been updated in forever.

Finni
02-03-2008, 08:55 AM
When did you realize you wanted to be a writer? I've always wanted to write. I don't remember a specific moment when it came into my life. But I do remember being very young, maybe about 6 or 7, going over to the B section of Lit. and pointing saying, "Daddy, this is where my book will be someday."

Have you always had the passion to write? yes...its part of my Be-ing

What do you do when you get writers block? I read the dictionary...seriously, I read the dictionary and look at word origins and so on.

When did you get over the feeling that "my work is just not good enough?" When I realized I will never get over it. That thought no longer holds me prisoner because I said, "ok, your right, it will never be good enough, but I am still going to write my best." Then the voice that said it just gave up on trying to hold me back.

Do you listen to music while writing? If so who do you listen to?It depends on what I am writing. If I do listen to music while writing I listen to music that fits the story or poem I happen to be working on. With my current WIP I am listening to Palestinian rap and rock music that focuses on the Middle East, classical music, and Irish Rebel music.

Favorite musician/band?It depends on the month, lol. Gaelic Storm, Drowning Pool, Rob Zombie, Rancid, Wolfe Tones, Melissa Ferrick, Ani Difranco, Dropkick Murphys, Violent Femmes, Son of Nun, DAM, and the Beatles

All time Favorite Movie/ TV show? One of my favorite movies was the Matrix Reloaded. My God I love Trin and Neo in that one!!! Kill Bill both vol. were other favorites of mine.

What do you do to relax? I play pool, throw some darts or meditate, depending on the situation. I don't think it would be appropriate if I mentioned the other things.

Matera the Mad
02-03-2008, 09:09 AM
When I became a reader.

Have you always had the passion to write?
Off and on.

What's writer's block? Ah, I just lie down and let the characters talk.

Don't remember...somewhen within the last five years

Sometimes.
Nobody you ever heard of

Favorite musician/band?
Nobody you ever heard of

Fsck the Box That Lies

What do you do to relax?
Fractal art, writing, screwing around with my computer

Joycecwilliams
02-03-2008, 09:41 AM

I always liked to write, but I don't remember writing any stories. I wrote poetry, lyrics, meditations. Later I wrote articles for two separate papers. Now I am trying my hand at fiction.

Have you always had the passion to write? No, but it has grown stronger over the years.

What do you do when you get writers block? Just start writing something.

When did you get over the feeling that "my work is just not good enough?" Not yet.

Do you listen to music while writing? If so who do you listen to? I like quiet.

Favorite musician/band? My taste in music tends to go with my feelings and writing mode. If I am writing a romance, I like to listen to: Al Green and Etta James performing her her torch songs. If I am writing other things I like: Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, John Melloncamp,Eric Clapton, Rolling Stones, George Throughgood, Motown, Bob Dylan, and others.

All time Favorite Movie/ TV show? TV Show: Don't Forget the Lyrics/Dancing with the Stars. Favorite Movie: A Wonderful LIfe

What do you do to relax? I don't know how to relax