Dialogue Discussion/Debate: People don't talk like this.

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I was at another forum and this kid got his work critted. Most of his piece consisted of dialogue, what I'm a stickler for. And his work is about a thirteen year old modern day scientist, who's parents worked for NASA. He tends to use big words like arrogant condescending, belligerance. He has an I.Q of 150. The other critters say that kids his age don't talk like this, therefore his dialogue is not natural. I sort of disagree with them. This kid got really defensive, and said just because kids don't talk this way doesn't mean he can't. I'm not talking about critiques. My point is why do people have to comply to what society does.

When people say, "people his age don't do this" "An 94 year old lady does not know how to use an I-Pod." "A twelve year old does not talk in such a formal mature way."

I disagree, any kid can behave and can talk in a certain way, depending on how they were raised. You can't say that he can't do this, just because other people like him aren't capable of this. I don't know why critters tend to tell other writers to make their characters conform to society's standards. I don't have a problem with it, it just doesn't feel right.

Thoughts?

Scrawler

Bored fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Kid geniuses who speak like highly educated adults are annoying, but that's really how they talk.
Grandmothers who curse (like Jay Leno's The Fruitcake Lady) are funny because they shock.

There's probably a big psychological explanation of why people feel the need to have others conform, but with fiction, I think there's creating unique, memorable characters--and then there's making them believable.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
There are two reasons someone would give that feedback:

1) They have a limited imagination as a reader;
2) The writer didn't make it believable in the story.

Not having read the story in question, it's hard for me to know which is the case.

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
And people don't have to comply with what "society" wants ("society" is such a nebulous term because norms depend so much on the specific people you associate with).

When I hear "society", the first thing that comes to mind is high school popularity.

Alexandra Little

What a desolation.
Registered
Reaction score
I spoke like that at 13. And my friends make fun of me for using big words in instant messages. My characters tend to be older than they actually are, mostly because their situation calls for it.

But you're never going to be able to correct people who insist they know how someone speaks/acts. Most people don't even believe my age when they meet me because I seem so much more mature. I even had to pull out my license once when an older woman kept calling me a liar.

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
You clearly have an ongoing problem with critters. From day one I thought it would just serve them well to tell you what you want to hear. The critters could be saying this about the things you mentioned because in the writing being discussed it just doesn't ring true. If the same critters read another piece with a 12 year old talking intelligently and they bought it hook, line and sinker, they might not make the same comments. Chances are it's just bad writing that pulled them out of believing in the dialogue.

I don't have a problem with critters. I never said anything bad, I wasn't involved. It's just a theory I came up with. I just want to talk about a debate that was going on somewhere else. I would agree with dialogue, like people won't talk in such a tedious manner, or people don't talk in a complete sentence. Or some dialogue is inconsistent to the time period.

I used big words when I was twelve. I don't know why compared to other children.

Last edited:

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I understand how you would come to this conclusion...this theory...based on what you've said about critters in the past. .

Not really BASED on the critters. But observing, other children. It's the way they were raised that will determine who they will be when they reach their teens or adulthood

drachin8

post-apocalyptic bunny
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I think the main issue here is the more your character deviates from "the norm" (as expected by that particular reader), the harder you (the author) must work to convince the reader that the character is plausible.

Sometimes, a character will succeed for one person while failing miserably for another. Different readers, different expectations.

The hard part then, as an author, is telling when your character has crossed over the intangible line of being implausible to the audience you are aiming at.

Agree? Disagree? Like apples?

:)

-Michelle

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
IMO, I will agree with these guys about the unnatural dialogue. If the character stands out from his peers. If every single 12 year old in a story talks in the same way he does, unless they're clones, then that is something I would consider unnatural. But if this kid talks like a genius and his peers talk like well, "kids", then I wouldn't see anything wrong with it.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
Why are we spending time talking about another writer's crit? For all we know, the writer is already incorporating the suggestions (or not, as he/she sees fit) from the crit and has moved on.

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
To make precocious children work, in my experience, they need that combination of intellectual maturity and emotional immaturity.

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
You are talking about the situation now, not the writing.

That's the the point of this thread, KTC. To discuss why people would compare an "unusual" kid to a "normal" kid his age. This kind of stuff reminds me of school.(I can't wait till I graduate.) If you comply to high school standards, then you're considered normal, otherwise you're considered weird and you must be shunned.

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Can we please stop talking about crits? This is not why I started this discussion.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
I think the writing may not have come across well in context

when my son was two he was using words like apparantly in context

when he was four I had to explain about gravity.

When he was eight he came up with an idea for travelling to a parallel universe that, while not actually possible (at the moment), I may well incorporate into a story

Today, at age nine, he said he wouldn't do something unless it was mutually beneficial. And we had to explain the concept of communism and how power corrupts etc...

He's not that unusual for a kid his age, ( we do talk about stuff a lot though). Most of his friends have a similar vocabulary. A kid at twelve could, quite easily, use those words.

Either the writer didn't make his character clear enough. Or the critters know no one under the age of ohhh twenty five. I believe it's probably the former.

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Either the writer didn't make his character clear enough. Or the critters know no one under the age of ohhh twenty five. I believe it's probably the former.

Unless they were that kid's age at least five years ago, then they shouldn't stereotype.

BlueTexas

Back from self-exile land.
Registered
Reaction score
When people say, "people his age don't do this" "An 94 year old lady does not know how to use an I-Pod." "A twelve year old does not talk in such a formal mature way."

Thoughts?

My husband's 84 year old Grandma had never used a cell phone in her life, but she picked up my iphone, and as soon as I unlocked it, she made a phone call with no help. She also figured out the camera and picture viewing functions on her own. She was a secretary, not a rocket scientist.

My point is that life never happens the way people think it should, or expect it should. That's what so cool about it. Ignore closed minds and generalized assumptions :)

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Unless they were that kid's age at least five years ago, then they shouldn't stereotype.

Unlees you've been anything you shouldn't stereotype. Even if you have you shouldn't stereotype. But it happens.

My point was, the writing either wasn't clear enough OR you have a bunch of people who stereotype for a living. Probably the former.

geardrops

Good thing I like my day job
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geardrops.net
Topic: Stereotypes in Writing (Particularly Characterization).

Question: Can you break them without jarring the reader, or will reader preconceptions always come into play with your writing?

Answer: Yes

Thread done :)

Last edited:

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Person A can write anything he wants. If Person A puts it up for critique, likewise Person B can say anything he wants about A's writing. If A has done his job well, B might have little to criticize and be full of compliments. If A hasn't done his job well, B knows something's wrong with it. If he's inexperienced as a writer or critter, he might not know what's wrong with it but he'll pick something obvious, like the precocious language of the protagonist. There might not be anything intrinsically wrong with the young character using big words but the writing isn't good enough to make him believe it.

And so it goes. There's nothing wrong with a 12-year-old using big words. When I was 12 I had a huge vocabulary. Not a lot of friends, but a HUGE vocabulary.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
The dialogue might seem unrealistic to any given reader because of that reader's limitations. Or it might seem unrealistic because of the limitations of the dialogue itself.

There is no piece of writing that has 100% approval, after all. Many people find Cormac McCarthy's dialogue terse and gritty. I find it silly. Obviously, Cormac McCarthy could not give one metric tinker's fart about my opinion.

Part of being a writer, in my opinion, is learning how to separate signal from static in other people's reactions. On the other hand, it's not always static. I'm reminded of Carl Sagan's great comment:

...the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright Brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown.

Last edited:

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, and let's not forget that critiques are opinions. Not facts.

Atlantis

Registered
Reaction score
If the kid's parents work for NASA then I think its more then believable that he would use long "intelligent" words for his age if his parents work for one of the top scientific organizations in the world. Childern reflect the people around them. If he was raised among scientists, then he would use the same language they do, because that's how he was raised. In Star Trek Voyager a child is born on the ship in season two. She is raised on the vessel, the only child in a crew of 200 adult humans and aliens who are scientists. By the time she is four she speaks like a mature young adult and is deeply involved in science and maths. Its all how they're raised.

Qui

Registered
Reaction score
My friend's little sister goes on short honeymoons with new words she likes. One week, it was "facetious." Next, she loved "abominable." It was strange to hear her say "I was being facetious" instead of "I was joking," but she's a smart girl so it ended up just being annoying.

She was nine at the time, which actually means nothing. Kids speak as they are taught to speak. The sons of my Episcopalian rector talk like they're performing surgery with dull knives. One of them used "ineffable" the other day in place of "unspeakable." He said, "I know the right context for it, so it doesn't matter that I don't know the definition of it." Except he replaced every word he could with a longer one.

Point is, long words aren't a sign of True Genius. Real geniuses (and I see that character conveniently just passes for one, I.Q.-wise) know how to explain things in simple terms—like Prof. Stephen Hawking, who wrote A Brief History of Time. I would suggest that book for anyone wanting to write smart characters.

I was a precocious child, but my mother never let me be ridiculous. Thank God for her; I was firmly tethered to the ground. I'm not a Genius, as far as the oh-so-important I.Q. test, but I do qualify for MENSA (like that's something to brag about anymore!). That said, I didn't use long words, but I knew what they meant. But I could talk to people and ask them intelligent questions. Somehow I've lost the knack of talking to others, but I still got the right questions.

However, I'm linguistically and creatively gifted. Logical people have different opinions about words (Lojban, anyone?), so I suppose my wall o' text wouldn't be very useful. They tend to value numbers more, including Number of Words in Vocabulary (and how many times you can say them all).

I knew a 174-I.Q. Physics major, back when I had no choice but to interact with idiots like him. All other sciences were ridiculous compared to Physics; all subjects other than science and mathematics were laughable and not worth discussion. If your I.Q. wasn't over 150, you were an idiot, of course. He was an empty person. It sounds like the writer is trying too hard to prove that his character is SMRT, or the character is trying too hard. Otherwise, it would feel natural, and people wouldn't bring it up.

I remain,
The only person who used lolcats in this discussion,
Entirely devoted to the cause of LOLnglsh,
And generally less fun than I let on,
Q.

SageFury

Overcoming the Darkness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.radicaldreams.com
The Disney movie Genius has a 14 yr old discussing graviton gibberish to a professor and showing him up a little...

I don't see why Disney can get away with it and you can't =)