e-query format question

arkady

Registered
Reaction score
I've just received my first-ever request for a partial by email. The agent wants me to forward the material by email, of course. My question is: should the emailed sample pages be in standard manuscript format (double-spaced, Courier font, etc.)? Or should they be single-spaced format, as in a printed book?

I know the requirements for submitting by snail-mail, but this is the first request for partial I've ever gotten by email. And yeah, "call them up and ask them" is an option, of course, but I'd prefer to at least give them the appearance that I know what I'm doing. You folks who've emailed partial manuscripts -- how did you format the sample pages?

Thanks in advance.

juneafternoon

Return of the Jedi
Registered
Reaction score
I was under the impression that when you received a request, you can attach it in the proper manuscript format and bam.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Lifted straight out of your manuscript, saved as a .rtf file and attached. Don't mess with the formatting, if the agent wants it in some different form. it takes only a few keystrokes for them to alter it to their preferred style.

mollinickell

Hi there,
I assume the requesting agent will receive your partial manuscript as an attachment? If so, double space, Times Roman or Courier, 12 point. Indent at paragraphs. Just like you would if you were sending a paper copy.
If pasted in an email, flush left, single spaced, double spaces between paragraphs.
Congrats on the request. You're taking your first step toward becoming a published author.
Molli

arkady

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there,
I assume the requesting agent will receive your partial manuscript as an attachment? If so, double space, Times Roman or Courier, 12 point. Indent at paragraphs. Just like you would if you were sending a paper copy.
If pasted in an email, flush left, single spaced, double spaces between paragraphs.
Congrats on the request. You're taking your first step toward becoming a published author.
Molli

Well, that's the hard-to-figure-out part, Molli. My instructions are to paste the material into a CGI page on the agent's website. It's not clear to me if that counts as pasting it into an email or not.

The reason this is a big deal to me is that the agent wants 30-35 pages. If I paste the single-spaced version, that's a lot more material -- which is what I'd prefer.

caromora

Still alive. Kind of.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkstaind-stars.livejournal.com
I just submitted a partial to the same person, I think. (At least she has the same form and 30-35 page policy.) I double spaced mine because that is industry standard, and I don't think the online form indicates in any way that we should deviate from that.

ETA: Don't post more than 35 pages double spaced, even if you wind up single spacing them. In other words, your submission should be between 7500 and 8750 words.

Last edited:

arkady

Registered
Reaction score
Caromora, I believe you're right -- it almost surely is the same agent. And, as it turned out, when I got to the CGI page, it specified that the manuscript was to be in 12 point TNR, double-spaced.

I formatted the file as specified, crossed my fingers and clicked Send. Wish me luck, and thanks to all who responded.