Why is Project Runway so elusive this year?

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure they did that with last season when they showed it on UK satellite. It seemed to be all over the place in terms of scheduling.

scottVee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
scott.virtes.com
I agree. The existence of that show is SOOOO annoying. Lots of shows have funky schedules these days. It's cheaper to run repeats than shoot new episodes, so it seems like there are shows with only 5 or 6 episodes in a season. Writer's strike? Illusion? Don't know ... isn't enough time in the day to watch TV anyway.

;-)

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
I'm sure they did that with last season when they showed it on UK satellite. It seemed to be all over the place in terms of scheduling.

This year it's a huge tease. They are slowly revealing the new episodes only once every two or three weeks. ARRGGHH!!!!

I agree. The existence of that show is SOOOO annoying. Lots of shows have funky schedules these days. It's cheaper to run repeats than shoot new episodes, so it seems like there are shows with only 5 or 6 episodes in a season. Writer's strike? Illusion? Don't know ... isn't enough time in the day to watch TV anyway.

;-)

Reality TV doesn't fall under the writers strike (not directly). In fact, one of the things the WGA is trying to lobby for is to allow all the writers involved in reality TV to be allowed to join the Guild. (Animation writers also are trying to be brought into the fold.) So if a TV show is not covered under the Guild, then the writers writing for that show are NOT scabbing if they continue to work on that show during the strike.

The only way I suspect the strike might be impacting any of the reality TV shows would maybe be that the networks are trying to "make it last" as long as possible. So they are maybe tryig to stretch these shows out for however long the public can stand it. Things are already mighty tight in Hollywood as far as the shows all running out. Like a drought, the water's all gone so now peple are raiding the vending machines for cans of soda. Soon, people will be weilding guns to be able to brush theri teeth. And with this strike, the networks will be absolutely choking for lack of shows in another two months. So perhaps Bravo is trying to prepare for the next level of desperation looming on the horizon and they are maybe trying to make this season of Project Runway last as long as they can.

(Maybe you've answered my question! :) )

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So perhaps Bravo is trying to prepare for the next level of desperation looming on the horizon and they are maybe trying to make this season of Project Runway last as long as they can.

(Maybe you've answered my question! :) )

Ding, ding, ding. I think you've found the answer. But they are driving me crazy with the chaotic schedule. Wanna bet they do the same thing with TopChef?

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
The UK equivalent, Project Catwalk, seems to be pretty regular (it's airing at the moment on Sky One), thankfully.

I didn't know shows like Project Runway had dedicated writers. Over here, on the programmes I work for, the presenters and / or producer write the script. We don't have a credited 'writer' on the team for most of our stuff.

It must be really frustrating getting episodes that way though. I know I got fed up with it when the US show was on here. It would disappear for weeks, then finally be listed again, only it was the last episode I'd seen and not a new one. Then all of a sudden, months later, the finale show appeared. So either they skipped four or five episodes or they were on at a weird time and I missed it.

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
It annoyed me last night, too. I understood when they went on hiatus over the holidays and came back after the beginning of the year, but I hope they're not planning on showing three new episodes, followed by a week of reruns, all season. I do suspect it's because of the writer's strike. (Go writers!)

Plot Device

Registered
Reaction score
Website
The UK equivalent, Project Catwalk, seems to be pretty regular (it's airing at the moment on Sky One), thankfully.

I didn't know shows like Project Runway had dedicated writers. Over here, on the programmes I work for, the presenters and / or producer write the script. We don't have a credited 'writer' on the team for most of our stuff.

The way reality shows currently work in USA is that they have a bunch of kids (22 year olds with only a few semesters of film school, IF that) who are the writers. They make these kids work outrageously long hours, no benefits, and they'll fire those kids quite easilly and replace them with another eager 22 year old. Sometimes they call them "producers" instead of writers, but they ARE the actual writers. They are also usually (almost always, really) the camera weilders for the reality shows, as well as the sound and video editors. They slave very hard and get paid very little. The WGA is trying to get all reality shows covered by the Guild.

The sad truth is (I almost wrote "sad reality," but that would have been an unintended pun) that reality TV got its start because of the last huge WGA strike. The networks were desperate to fill the airwaves with something they could get away with producing without writers, and thus reality shows were born. Admittedly, various types of reality-esque shows already existed PRIOR to that other strike. Such shows were rare and short lived. But the strike ushered in the ERA of the reality show so that every network has had SEVERAL reality shows on every season since then. They're cheap to produce, do NOT require writers (or more precisely they do not require WGA writers), usuallly do not require any actors (they use real people from every day life) and they bring in the audiences. For every reality show in existence, there are at least three WGA writers who are NOT working. And dozens more actros also not working.

I hate them. (But I do love Project Runway! Guilty pleasure!)

It must be really frustrating getting episodes that way though. I know I got fed up with it when the US show was on here. It would disappear for weeks, then finally be listed again, only it was the last episode I'd seen and not a new one. Then all of a sudden, months later, the finale show appeared. So either they skipped four or five episodes or they were on at a weird time and I missed it.

It definitely is because they aren't TELLING us how scattershot it's all going to be in the weekly (or bi-weekly) schedule.

Plot Device

Registered
Reaction score
Website
It annoyed me last night, too. I understood when they went on hiatus over the holidays and came back after the beginning of the year, but I hope they're not planning on showing three new episodes, followed by a week of reruns, all season.

Exactly!

I do suspect it's because of the writer's strike. (Go writers!)

Yay!
icon14.gif

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think the possible reason for messing with this has nothing to do with the writers' strike since everything but Olympus Fashion week is already shot, probably edited and in the can.

I think it's likely the ratings suck this year. I know I've been an avid watcher of the show--and I do NOT do series other than this one--and this year's group has utterly failed to captivate me like previous years have. The challenges are either extremely out of the realm of possible or just plain stupid and I'm just not interested. The designers they've got are uninteresting and the entire season seems strained and overworked.

In my past experience, when a network is trying to decide to do with a show with down-spiraling ratings, it moves that show around in hopes of hooking new interest in a different time/date. Sometimes that works, often it doesn't, but it's been a standard MO for at least 30-35 years I can remember.

I think this is a very sad possibility, since memories of Santino and the rivalry between Jeffrey & Angela are among some of my favorite TV viewing pleasures, but when I talk to my fellow Runway fan friends, we all have the same gripes and thoughts.

Very sad if I'm right.