Reaction score
Anyone ever pay for AuthorHouse's marketing packages?They're expensive
and I don't know what they can do that you can't do for yourself--anyone
use 'em and did they they help you sell your AuthorHouse book? Inquiring
minds want to know!!:Lecture:

DrCaelinPaul

Registered
Reaction score
I just received a book back from them and I am very happy with the finished product. Bare in mind that to keep your costs down you will have to do all of the grunt work in editing. Also, you are pretty much on your own in marketing your book. Hope this helps :)

GHF65

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't seen the Authorhouse package, but when I made the ill-advised decision to go POD with iUniverse, they threw in their package as part of a promotional deal. I do have materials from Authorhouse since I considered them as well. It appears to be a similar (if not identical) promo package.

Okay . . . that said, let's get down to basics. I've said all this before in other threads, but I can't say it often enough. You can knock yourself out printing up bookmarks, postcards, emails, press releases and "sell sheets", all of which come with your promo kit. You can hand out copies of your book with all of the above to booksellers wherever you like. You can find non-bookstore markets (my book is horse-related, so I opted for tack shops, feed stores and the like as backup) and do the same there. You can buy into co-op ads in the NY Times for thousands of dollars and join Bookcrossing to release and track copies of your book "in the wild". You will still have a POD book.

Your money might be better spent on postage or how-to books that will help you get decent query letters out to agents and publishers who might want to handle your book. Trust me; you don't want to pour good money into the same black hole the bad money fell into.

IUniverse did everything they said they would do and then some. The book is of good quality, the printing, binding and cover more than acceptable. I'm not displeased with what I got for my money. I'm only displeased that I didn't spend some time really researching POD before I sent off my manuscript. Most of the copies I've sold were sold during the initial flurry of activity when the book was released. It's amazing how many online "friends" will buy one of your books without having met you in person just because they like the way you post on a bb. Then there are the friends and family who will jump at the chance. I was lucky. The local paper did a feature on POD and iUniverse sent them to me for an interview. I was the focal point of a front-page spread with photos. Very cool! Sadly, since the book is POD, no one could buy it at the book store. I was offered signings, and the offers were withdrawn when the booksellers realized I was a POD author.

Now, two years post-publication (IU gives a three-year printing contract before you have to pay again at the current higher price to re-publish) I've only sold around 200 copies. The booksellers wouldn't touch it, nor the niche stores, but my horse shoer and vet love the book and have moved dozens of copies out of the kindness of their hearts. I've pretty much run out of platform. Selling a POD book takes more than a promo kit, a wish and a promise. It takes legwork and a thick skin. My legs are tired and my skin bruised. You can bet my next three books will be shopped around until I find a commercial publisher no matter how long it takes.

If you've already signed with Authorhouse, I still recommend that you forget about their promo materials. You can use Word to create the same materials for yourself for free. All you need is a .jpg image of the book's cover, which they will undoubtedly send you with your final copy for approval before publication. That and the backcover copy are the basis for all of the promo materials. Look at press releases in the NYT book section for format and style and make up your own. If you can write a book, you can do the rest.

I wish you luck!

Mike Coombes

Guru
Registered
Reaction score
Website
writers.ktf-design.com
Schoolmarm, thanks for what is probably the most honest appraisal of a Pod experience I've ever seen. Most illuminating and informative.

yeyeman9

Registered
Reaction score
Authorhouse offers putting your book in Bookstores...no? 25,000 retailers.

citymouse

fantasy dweller
Registered
Reaction score
I'm an Author House customer and they don't market to bookstores. Most if not all POD companies make books available to online catalogues like AMZ or B&N; beyond that it's up to you. As I've noted in other posts the killer to getting into bookstores is the short discount rate (as low as 15% in somecases) and a no return policy which Author House now offers for a mere $750! When anyone asks me about my POD experience I simply say that the product is good, the up front costs are relatively low but you have to be content with on-line customers. If you want to sell out of bookstores then you must establish a working relationship with the individual owners. Most independent bookstores do not return the books they buy (often fewer than 20), however Borders and the like do return large print orders.

POD is not for everyone. For me it's fine.

acousticgroupie

Registered
Reaction score
everyone i talk to is anti-POD---why?

isn't it hard to get your book in a store anyway because of the costs if they don't sell it, etc?

also, anyone recommend good printers? I'm looking for a special size and a matte cover and some custom specifications...

acousticgroupie

Registered
Reaction score
those are useful:)

i'm just not getting it---so to pay to have books made in advance isn't good but POD isn't either? are you self-published?

Ralyks

Untold stories inside
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.editorskylar.com
Just to chime in with my POD experience:

I vanity POD published* a novel that I believed had a niche market (it was a literary sequel). I got the most basic package because I believe that vanity POD publishers do not in reality do much of anything useful for you on the promotional end--even if you pay for it. I managed to sell over 1,300 copies of my book, primarily by word-of-mouth. I did receive three positive reviews on POD blogs and internet newsletters, and I wrote an article that mentioned my book. Beyond this, I did very little promotion for my book, and the publisher of course did none. I think it sold so well because there is a niche market for this type of novel, and of the other novels already available in this genre, only a very few are well written.

In short, the experience was, overall, positive for me--although I did have some initial problems with my publisher, and in the beginning I had to stay on top of things to make sure I was getting the royalties owed me on time. After several months, things smoothed out and I was paid in a timely manner, and I have profited from my novel. Now that my two year contract is expiring, however, I have chosen not to renew it. I could probably continue to steadily sell about 40 books a month, and with my POD publisher, the per-copy royalties are actually higher than with most traditional publishers. But I know my book will never be in bookstores, and my sales will likely dwindle rather than grow, because I will never receive any real promotion from my vanity POD publisher.

I will likely bring out a new, edited, and slightly revised edition of my novel under a more traditional contract with a small press publisher instead. I think I have a good chance of that happening now, but I don't think it would have happened if I had not vanity POD published in the first place, because I found it difficult to convince publishers that this niche market really did exist and that my book would be well received by that market. Seeing a POD novel w/ no promotion that is available in no physcial bookstore still managing to sell over 1,000 copies helps to convince some publishers there is a market after all.

But this is just one experience. Most people I know who have POD published fiction have sold to friends and family, and that's about it. Unless you have a real niche, you aren't likely to profit. If you do choose to vanity POD publish, my recommendation would be--keep it simple. Choose the cheapest package (provided it at least includes an ISBN, a cover, order fulfillment, and listings on the major online retailers). The bells and whistles aren't going to pay off. Promotional packages and paying big bucks for returns isn't going to change the fact that bricks and mortar stores simply aren't going to sell a vanity published POD novel.

As for POD publishing vs. self-publishing: I chose to POD publish because: (1) I didn't want to risk a large amount of money up front on self-publishing in case I was wrong about the market and, more importantly, (2) I didn't want to do all of the work self-publishing required. I didn't want to apply for my own ISBN, warehouse and ship my own books, obtain my own listings on Amazon and BN, etc. And I didn't want to take the time to learn how to do it all. I wanted to write, not to publish. Would I have made more profit if I had self-published? Yes, probably twice as much in whole dollars. However, given the amount of time I would have to put in, and given my usual hourly rate, in the end, I would have made less in real terms.

* When I say "vanity POD publish" I mean pay a POD publisher a fee to publish your book. There are publishers who use POD technology but operate on a traditional model--i.e. they are selective, they pay you an advance and you pay them nothing, the books are returnable, the books are discounted, and the publisher does the marketing/promotion.

Last edited:

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I realize I'm coming in late to this thread (but I only just found this forum). For the question of finding a good printer, have you ever heard of Blitzprint in Canada? They turn out very good quality books at a very good price (especially for US authors taking advantage of the exchange rate) and will be happy to provide all the usual marketing tools as well. For a small one-time fee they will include you in their online store and get you listed with the usual online retailers as well as wholesalers if you like.

They also stand behind their product: I had one book in which they accidentally used the wrong title page (I had several books being done at the same time) and they replaced the entire run free of charge.

As far as I know there's no duty on books crossing the border.

Have a look at their site if it interests you: www.blitzprint.com

eldragon

in a van down by the river
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
Only 74 of the books were ever printed, and most of them weren't sold, but were returned to the publisher.

I'd love to read how the authors libeled his ex-wife. Did they use her name?

eldragon

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
Actually, this is quite alarming.

When no books sold, and in fact, most were recovered...........why didn't they just leave it at that?

Unless, of course, the authors were warned by her attorney not to publish the book, or not to make it clear it was about her.

There's just too little in that article to make it clear what happened, and how obvious it was that the book was about her.

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
eldragon said:
Actually, this is quite alarming.

When no books sold, and in fact, most were recovered...........why didn't they just leave it at that?
I don't know all of the details in the case, but apparently, there have been problems going on for a while here...

Miss Snark blogged about this, and one of the comments alleges that the ex planted a fake bomb on his front porch and then told police that Ms. Brandewyne had put it there! If this is true, then this is far from an isolated incident. And I would have sued his @ss, too. :D

eldragon

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
I would be interested in seeing how thin a veil the authors used in this book.

My barely thought out opinion is that the author is the one who should pay up, not Author-House.

And I don't know anything about Authorhouse, but I do know it's a Vanity Publisher.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
eldragon said:

My barely thought out opinion is that the author is the one who should pay up, not Author-House.

And I don't know anything about Authorhouse, but I do know it's a Vanity Publisher.
Our resident law shark touches on that in the comments section of Miss Snark's blog. I look forward to his full commentary, coming soon at: http://scrivenerserror.blogspot.com/

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
eldragon said:
Probably Saran wrap. ;) I think it was "nonfiction," wasn't it?

eldragon said:
I am not a lawyer, but I think they got in trouble because they didn't properly "vet" the manuscript. This was apparently a manuscript other pubilshers had rejected because of legal issues. While AuthorHouse does have a clause indemnifying them against this kind of case, well, it didn't help. Maybe it wasn't enforceable?

Also, the CEO of AuthorHouse said he thought they were in the right because of the First Amendment -- but the First Amendment doesn't provide protection against libel. So here's this guy running a large POD printer, and he doesn't know that?!

I can't wait until Jaws blogs about this. :D

Ralyks

Untold stories inside
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.editorskylar.com
AnneMarble said:
I am not a lawyer, but I think they got in trouble because they didn't properly "vet" the manuscript. This was apparently a manuscript other pubilshers had rejected because of legal issues. While AuthorHouse does have a clause indemnifying them against this kind of case, well, it didn't help. Maybe it wasn't enforceable?

All of the vanity PODs have these clauses, and pretty much none of them vet manuscripts. If a clause like this turns out to be non-enforceable, that will likely mean the PODs have to overhaul the way they do business. They'll become more selective and publishing will take more time, which means they will make less money. Or they'll just close up shop altogether or charge more for the manuscripts they do publish. It will be interesting to see what effect this has.

According to the link above, the jury found against AuthorHouse in part because they were told at the time of publication about the problems with the book. So it seems that perhaps it is not that such clauses are unenforceable, but that the publisher was negligent so, in this case, the clause cannot be enforced. I am wondering what the author's own expense in this case was. Does anyone know?

Last edited:

citymouse

fantasy dweller
Registered
Reaction score
Author House

skylarburris said:
All of the vanity PODs have these clauses, and pretty much none of them vet manuscripts. If a clause like this turns out to be non-enforceable, that will likely mean the PODs have to overhaul the way they do business. They'll become more selective and publishing will take more time, which means they will make less money. Or they'll just close up shop altogether or charge more for the manuscripts they do publish. It will be interesting to see what effect this has.

Skylar, I'm an Author House customer.
Publisher's Weekly noted a statement by Bryan Smith (AH President & CEO) that "...the AuthorHouse system leaves authors in control of the content of their books, the company works to identify objectionable material."

The statement "...the company works to identify objectionable material." is interesting because in all this he doesn't say how? If AH works to identify objectional material does that happen after a problem arises or before?
I'm dead certain that no one read my book to see if it contained "objectional" material.

As far as I know (caveat here) there's only one POD (Virtualbookworm) company that claims to vet products before printing. Here is part of their mission statement. "We carefully screen all manuscripts and only accept the best,..." Do they do this? I don't know. I'd be interested in hearing from other VB customers (if there are any) via PM.

I wish to add a personal note, if I may. As for opting POD as an avenue for my books. I want to state up front and firmly that vanity was not a consideration. The notion that a POD author is merely a vain wannabe is an insult. Nor was poor writing on my part an issue. My reasons are personal and have nothing to do with any bias towards traditional publishing. The differences between POD versus vanity presses are as well defined as POD versus traditional publishing.

Please, please do not let this last paragraph be a call to arms against me. I'm not here to defend the POD industry. It's just a that I see the word vanity used in such a casual way and I'm sure it's hurtful to many fine and dedicated writers who, for their own reasons, use POD for their books. Please also do not take my remarks as a personal rebuke to anyone but rather a reminder that words are very powerful, and opinions which, if they are not refuted become modifiers; whether they be accurate or not.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
citymouse said:
As far as I know (caveat here) there's only one POD (Virtualbookworm) company that claims to vet products before printing. Here is part of their mission statement. "We carefully screen all manuscripts and only accept the best,..." Do they do this? I don't know. I'd be interested in hearing from other VB customers (if there are any) via PM.
Here is a link to a site listing many POD publishers and giving some basics about each...it includes a column for screening manuscripts:

http://booksandtales.com/pod/index.php

Rob :)

Ralyks

Untold stories inside
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.editorskylar.com
citymouse said:

I am a VB customer. I can't know if VB's claim to be selective is true, but I can say that they took awhile to get back to me after I submitted my manuscript, so they were doing something with that time. I don't think they really "vet" manuscripts; what they do is read them to check if they violate thier guidelines. They won't publish occult books, for instance, or anything they think is really, really badly written, or anything hateful, etc. I suspect VB would have noticed and passed on something as libelous as the book in question, but I can't say for sure.

I will respond to the "vanity" label issue in the thread Jenna opened.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.