Footnotes in Historical Fiction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
Is it acceptible or distracting to have footnotes in a piece of historical fiction? Basically I have hit a slight (probably daft) question where I'm referring to things in the narrative of my book but the names they have now are too modern and aren't what they would be known as back in the 17th century. I know it's meant for modern readers, but my narrative is quite close third person and I've been trying to keep a 'feel' for the period at least. Using the modern name seemed jarring to me. The only other option I could think of though was to use the old name and add a footnote to say what it actually is. (It's a plant, by the way, in case anyone wondered ;) ). Or should I just leave it the old name?

lkp

Registered
Reaction score
In a case like that, I think a glossary would work better than a footnote. I have read many historical novels that have glossaries at the back.

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
In a case like that, I think a glossary would work better than a footnote. I have read many historical novels that have glossaries at the back.

Would that still be the same for something that's only mentioned in part of one chapter though? I could understand a glossary being helpful if it was something the plot revolved around (as in military terms if it was a book about the Crusades or such).

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
I would try to make the word's meaning clear by context. If I couldn't, I would rethink whether I really needed to use it.

EDIT: Didn't notice the first time that you said it was a plant. That should be fairly easy to make work. She went out the herb garden and picked some ____, the perfect complement to tonight's _____.

Last edited:

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
I would try to make the word's meaning clear by context. If I couldn't, I would rethink whether I really needed to use it.

EDIT: Didn't notice the first time that you said it was a plant. That should be fairly easy to make work. She went out the herb garden and picked some ____, the perfect complement to tonight's _____.

At the moment it's mentioned alongside a couple of other, recognisable plants, so hopefully it's obvious in context what it is, I suppose.

Brighid

Registered
Reaction score
between the barns and the buggies, Pennsylvania
Is it just a one-time thing, or do you expect to be doing it throughout? If there are several, then perhaps a short list at the beginning would be acceptable.

I find footnotes to be disturbing in non-fiction. . .I would try to keep them to a minimum in a work of fiction.

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
Is it just a one-time thing, or do you expect to be doing it throughout? If there are several, then perhaps a short list at the beginning would be acceptable.

I find footnotes to be disturbing in non-fiction. . .I would try to keep them to a minimum in a work of fiction.

I agree, I don't like footnotes in fiction (in non-fiction I don't really mind, in fact in a lot of the articles I've read over the last year I've used the footnotes more than the actual text, weirdly). I don't like things that interrupt the flow of the story. Just at the moment it is a one-off so doing a glossary would be a bit silly. Explaining in context is obviously the best method, where possible.

Actually the issue just disappeared, as I found a different name for the silly thing that is in period and seems to be fairly widely known, and added a couple of details so it's obvious what it is (hopefully).

All this for a bloomin' weed! :D

Thanks everyone for the replies. If I accrue any more things that might need explanation I think I'll go with the idea of a glossary. Your help is all much appreciated.

girlyswot

Registered
Reaction score
Website
myromancereviews.wordpress.com
I don't think it absolutely matters if not all your readers (or even most of your readers) don't know precisely what plant you're talking about. Those that are interested will go and look it up themselves. Most will be content to know just what you tell them about it in the text.

ETA: I knew this had happened to me recently and when I woke up this morning I remembered where. In Laura Ingalls Wilder's books, she talks about a thing called pieplant. I had no idea what this was, but when she described making a pie from it and forgetting the sugar it was completely clear what was going on. It wasn't until a couple of years ago that I discovered that pieplant was rhubarb. Not knowing hadn't spoiled my enjoyment of the story and finding out later was fun.

Last edited:

Kenny

Registered
Reaction score
If done briefly and lightly I cannot see why it would not work. Tolkein put at least one footnote in his Lord of the Rings and I found it useful in understanding about the elves without disrupting the flow of the story too much.

Please note footnote not end of chapter note! :)

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
I've used them in my novel, The Gatekeeper, and have had nearly all good comments. In fact some people really like them. I only use them where really necessary, though. If I can show the meaning in the text unobtrusively, I do. But I never like turning to a glossary myself and would not use that in a book.

Gina_Marie

Registered
Reaction score
As a reader I dont think I would like them. Personally, I think its better if you throw the words in there, try to explain them in the context as was already stated. Besides, its historical fiction and not every reader is going to know every aspect of said time. I think such things make stories richer. It shows that people have done their research.

Status
Not open for further replies.