Burn Them All

DarkLight

Registered
Reaction score
It is the FUTURE!

So, we have finally used up all our fossil fuels for heat and cars. Corn oil is a nessesay ingredient for the cure for cancer and thus, none can be spared for those organic engine things. All trees have been cut down, all coal gone, so there is no heat in the winter. We have already burned all wooden furniture in the world to make fire for warmth and fuel for our now steam powered vehicles. To avoid cold, there has been a mass migration into Florida and Mexico, but over population has caused warm states and countries to close their borders.

It comes to this, in order for those up in Maine, Greenland, and Canada to survive we need to start burning books for heat! Du-da-duuuun!:cry:You are a writer (Duh) and have been forced to enter a raffle in which all writers were required to enter. You win and your prize--You get to help pick the one modern book that will not be burned for heat. (The government needs to leave some literature behind for future generations). But you can't pick anything you've written and you can't pick a typical classic (Moby Dick, Gulliver's Travles, Jane Eyre, ect.). They already have one of each of the classics locked up in a vault for the future. Here it is. By some odd coincidence, all AW members won the raffle and as a result are placed on a council that will debate and ultimately decided which modern book lives. So, here we are. Place your book on the table, argue your case, argue against other cases, and pick...
The future is in our hands.

SageFury

Overcoming the Darkness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.radicaldreams.com
ur post hurt my head, =P

I can't pick, don't know what came out by that future to compare with current =)

They might have better stuff in future before the warming

*I'd save the MS of Final Fantasy 7 =)*

Last edited:

Esopha

bam pow zap.
Registered
Reaction score
I'd horde all the books I could carry in my little library and suggest they start looking into geothermal and solar power.

If all else fails, I'd point them to newspapers. And math textbooks. Brochures. That sort of thing.

I don't think I could willingly pick out one book to be spared. The guilt would follow me for the rest of my life.

Kerr

I vant to bite you
Registered
Reaction score
I'd have to hang on to my Webster's Encyclopedic Unabridged Dictionary of the English Language, complete with maps, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Bad-speller's, Rhyme, a manual of style, and probably somewhere in there, instructions to build a house. It's got to be the all in one toolbox. If it weren't so heavy, I'd haul it everywhere I go.

But novels? Hell no! They'd have to send the book extractors to the door.

Duncan J Macdonald

Plotting! Not Plodding!
Registered
Reaction score
It is the FUTURE!

<snip a bunch of mutually exclusive happenings>
<Pick the one book that survives>
So, here we are. Place your book on the table, argue your case, argue against other cases, and pick...
The future is in our hands.
In such a grim future, we'd need ... humor!

Learn Yiddish with Dick and Jane

But seriously, with all known literature (except Wuthering Heights) already in digital form, there's no need to keep physical copies of anything written.

althrasher

Prodigal Muser
Registered
Reaction score
Your extreme set-up amused me, so I'll play.

Although I'm sure I've already bored everyone here with my constant bringing this up, I'd have to say The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver. I think it should be required reading for anyone going to work in any sort of religious or worldwide field.

I'm partly absolved by this because I know Shady's going to save Looking For Alaska...;)

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
Ridiculously inefficient. Paper burns dirty and fast. Move to the tropics.

ANYWAY

To The Lighthouse...totally a piece of genius. It has all the EMOTIONS. Great stories can survive by word of mouth. Great writing can't.

farfromfearless

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.farfromfearless.com
Didn't we see this in "Day after tomorrow"?

Well if I had to pick, I would probably pick some religious text. Considering how many people have died for/because of it/them, the irony would be as gratifying as a bit of warmth on a typical Canadian winter day.

My second pick would be "Battlefield Earth" by L Ron Hubbard. A book that doesn't fall too far from the above category.

David I

Registered
Reaction score
Smart people have been doing this for ages. They are called "agents."

Believe it or not, these people actually have sane citizens send them fuel at their own expense.

(That's why they have a policy of rejecting e-mail queries, by the way...)

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
How does this have anything to do with writing novels? It's almost non-sensical. Strike that...it is. Shouldn't this be moved to OP?

Ben_G

Eh, transfer all the book contents to CD and just burn all the books. I prefer a focus on content, not medium, and I grew up hearing about how the Library of Congress would fit on a CD-Rom in plaintext. I'm not one of those picky people who "Just can't read a book off a computer screen, it isn't the same..." I read Mark Twain's "Innocents Abroad" on a Sony Clie palm computer and it's not like it wasn't still in English.

Ben_G

Writer???

Because EYE said so!
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Eh, transfer all the book contents to CD and just burn all the books. I prefer a focus on content, not medium, and I grew up hearing about how the Library of Congress would fit on a CD-Rom in plaintext. I'm not one of those picky people who "Just can't read a book off a computer screen, it isn't the same..." I read Mark Twain's "Innocents Abroad" on a Sony Clie palm computer and it's not like it wasn't still in English.

Ben_G

Ah, but what happens when there is no fuel to create power, maintain electric lines, produce batteries???