Status
Not open for further replies.

Melina

Getting better all the time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.atozwordsmith.com
So, are any of you going to audition for Absolute Write Idol? This is shaping up to be a great contest, and I can already tell it will be lots of fun! What a great way to whip your muse into shape!

I'm encouraging all of you to submit some of your work. I really believe it will be a positive experience for all who enter. Even if you don't make the first cut, you will have put your writing out there, and will receive some very valuable critique! Go for it! Who knows, you may end up to be the Kelly Clarkson of AW (just promise us you won't make a ridiculous movie with the runner-up, ala From Justin to Kelly)!

How about making it your newest goal? C'mon, you can do it! :Cheer:
I'm rooting for you!

Melina

Melina

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.atozwordsmith.com
Way to go, you guys! And what a talented bunch we have here at AW! I'm glad I'm the vote counter, because I don't think I'd be able to choose only 10 finalists from the submissions.

So, anyone else up to the challenge? Let's hear it!

Melina

hapsburg

Registered
Reaction score
Yep, I threw one together and entered back before the prizes were announced, now that I see what the prize is I wish I'd have tortured myself more over my entry! Should be fun and glad I'm not a judge..

Sheshewriter

Registered
Reaction score
My characters are saying fewer and fewer words...

Hello all ye writers!!!

I have wanted to enter ("have wanted?" what the heck does that mean? It is almost midnight here). Okay, I wanted to enter two days ago. I have this peice I want to send, yet it was around 1300 words. I edited and edited and edited and edited. gosh! The characters are saying fewer and fewer words!!!!

I'm down to 829 words and still trying to go at it. It is a great exercise, I'll tell you that.

I hope I'll get it down to 700. That's where I'll stop! I must enter! This is fun!

Sheshewriter

Fictionalizer

Registered
Reaction score
Melina said:
So, are any of you going to audition for Absolute Write Idol?

I'm encouraging all of you to submit some of your work. I really believe it will be a positive experience for all who enter. Even if you don't make the first cut, you will have put your writing out there, and will receive some very valuable critique! Go for it!

How about making it your newest goal? C'mon, you can do it! :Cheer:
I'm rooting for you!

Melina
This is first for me. I've never had my work critiqued [as an adult]. I edited my seventh chapter in my first book of a trilogy. 12 rewrites later it was ready to 'publish'! :hooray:

I didn't realize editing could be so much fun! I actually enjoyed myself. My chapter began with over 1000 words. The finished product was what I submitted to the Idol Contest.

I might have tweaked it too much because I was so nervous about submitting it. My Creative Writing class teacher in junior high school was a nightmare. She ridiculed most everything I wrote. She liked two assignments out my entire year. The "scar" is still there after 37 years. My writing was dark and quirky and it still is.

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
Fictionalizer said:
I didn't realize editing could be so much fun! I actually enjoyed myself.

It is. In fact, that's one reason -- among many -- that sometimes I have trouble actually writing because I get caught up in the editing/revising. I have edited for friends and have a couple more who are talking about having me edit.

At one point, someone made a comment that I actually found offensive. He said that I was so much more an editor than a writer that he didn't know why I bothered ever trying to write anything.

Melina

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.atozwordsmith.com
I've finally finished reading all the submissions thus far. I gotta say--

You guys are good!

Congratulations for taking the chance, and good luck in the contest to all of you who submitted!

Melina

Status
Not open for further replies.