PDA

View Full Version : Indigo Books/Chapters/Coles

Lily M
01-31-2008, 04:57 AM
Does anyone have any up-to-date info on how this bookstore is doing now? I know they've branched out into selling toys, as well as CDs, gardening supplies, stationery etc. This is the biggest chain in Canada, and they almost went under a couple of years ago. "Indigo improved its performance with a net loss for the period ended July 2 of $8.1 million or 34 cents a share, compared with a loss of almost $11 million or 46 cents a share for the same period last year." http://www.cbc.ca/money/story/2005/08/31/Indigo20050831.html

Judg
01-31-2008, 05:26 AM
That's mind-boggling. The Chapters near my place is always hopping.

Chumplet
01-31-2008, 05:36 AM
I haven't heard anything on the wires about trouble. I haven't heard about expansion, either.

I went on their site a while back and if you poke around they tell you a lot about their various divisions, ventures, etc. in the 'about our company link at the bottom. They have financial and press releases.

Since they seem to be the only 'big box bookstore' in Canada, the only threat I can see is if a big American store like Barnes & Noble moved into Canada.

Sheryl Nantus
01-31-2008, 06:07 AM
actually, Coles itself has been around for decades - my mother used to work for them a long, long time ago.

given that the original poster has been banned, I'd say this was another futile attempt to try and pick a fight over the premise that actual bookstores aren't a place to sell books. As in other pointless threads.

'nuff said.

IceCreamEmpress
01-31-2008, 07:21 AM
Somebody is certainly going to a lot of trouble to try to convince people on this board that bookstores are dead. Amazing reincarnations and everything! Why?

Polenth
01-31-2008, 11:46 AM
Somebody is certainly going to a lot of trouble to try to convince people on this board that bookstores are dead. Amazing reincarnations and everything! Why?

Perhaps there's a group of people who don't believe in bookstores, in the same way that some people don't believe in fairies. It doesn't matter if the bookstore is there in front of them, if they are convinced it doesn't exist, they won't see it. People can be like that.