What's an Episodic Novel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZ_Dawn

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
I'm writing what are essentially short stories, but I don't want to send them to a magazine; I want to put them together in a book, a sort of Tales of thing. They follow a vague timeline and draw from the same pool of characters; some stories may even be two or three parters. I've been told what I'm trying to write is called an episodic novel. I googled the term and wasn't satisfied with the answers I found, though apparently I've read one in high school (Huckleberry Finn).

So what exactly is an episodic novel? What are some classic examples? If that's indeed what I'm writing, would it benefit me to learn more about writing both short-stories and novels? Or would I need to learn specifically about writing episodic novels?

Thanks!

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Alice in Wonderland is a classic example. Alice falls through a rabbit hole. The plot is Alice trying to get home. On her journey she has a bunch of mini adventures and stories, that really don't further the plot that much, and could even be short stories in and of themselves.

There are many books that are episodic. Think coming of age stories where a kid goes to camp, and each chapter is a new adventure at said camp. Usually there is a main through line, either a location or a character. Usually too there is a basic plot. Go back to the camp idea, maybe the MC meets a boy at camp and likes him and tried to get him. This can be her ultimate goal throughout, but she is also learning how to sail with the counselor who hates her, she gets the lead in the camp show even though she's shy etc etc.

(you can have episodic adult novels too, this is just the first example that came to my head)

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
I wonder if Stephen King's Hearts in Atlantis counts. The narrative is broken into four novellas, with characters passing in and out of them, and the last story tying into the first.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Anything with the subtitle "A novel in stories" is an episodic novel. (I wouldn't call Huckleberry Finn one myself, but there you go.)

Google "A novel in stories" and you'll find other people doing the same thing you're thinking of.

Don Allen

Seeking a Sanctuary of Intelligence
Registered
Reaction score
I've always thought of episodic novels pretty much a bad thing unless you are talking about a bunch of short stories. I can't really see Alice in Wonderland but, there's a lot I can't see so pay no attention. My definition is more of a novel that seems to contain a lot of conclusions thru-out the story without a dramatic build and ending. Almost like a chapter by chapter book within a book tied together by a common thread.

AZ_Dawn

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, guys! I'm still not sure if an episodic novel is what I'm trying to write, but it sounds close to it. I get feeling from Don Allen's post that most episodic novels out there aren't done well, though.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, guys! I'm still not sure if an episodic novel is what I'm trying to write, but it sounds close to it. I get feeling from Don Allen's post that most episodic novels out there aren't done well, though.

Well, Don Allen doesn't seem to like them, but not everything is for everybody.

Have you read any of the "novels in stories" that have been published in the past few years? I can recommend Later, at the Bar by Rebecca Barry and Adverbs by Daniel Handler (a/k/a Lemony Snicket!) and A Girl Becomes a Comma Like That by Lisa Glatt.

AZ_Dawn

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Have you read any of the "novels in stories" that have been published in the past few years?
Erm...well...actually, the most recently publish books I've read lately have been nonfiction and comic strip anthologies. It's been some years since I've read fiction within 5 years of its publication; I'm afraid of getting an R-rated surprise or worse. :eek:

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Some recent "G-rated" and "PG-rated" "novels in stories": I Am One of You Forever by Fred Chappell; Olive Kitteridge: A Novel in Stories by Elizabeth Strout.

I'd also include Spencer's Mountain by Earl Hamner (the book that became "The Waltons"), even though it was published long before the "novel in stories" was differentiated as a genre. A somewhat similar work from the UK is Lark Rise to Candleford by Flora Thompson.

The James Herriot books are also often considered "episodic novels".

Here's a good article about the "novel in stories" as a genre.

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
The Hobbit is VERY episodic, and yet each little episode culminates toward the climax.

The actual NEED to the overall plot of each of those lesser episodes isn't quite so obvious to the reader earleir on--it all seems kind of pointless really. But then in the final third of the book, we begin to realize that all the information that was learned via the earlier episodes, and/or the treasures that were gained via them, all come together and work toward the ultimate climax. To me THAT is perhaps the best way to structure an episodic novel. Make it all SEEM kind of pointless until it all starts coming together at the end.

Also, I think The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy (and all subsequent sequels) were most definitely eisodic. But those all started of as VERY episodic half-hour radio scripts, and were only later adapted to novel format. The radio scripts were all designed to end with cliff hangers, so the episodic nature of each little story was VERY blatant and thus carried over into the novels.

AZ_Dawn

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, guys, this helps a bunch. I noticed I've already read a few of the examples in this thread (Alice, The Hobbit, 4 Hitchhiker's Guides, James Herriot). I even wondered once if James Herriot's books might be similar in style to what I was trying to do.

I printed out that article for later reading, IceCreamEmpress; looks useful.

BlueTexas

Back from self-exile land.
Registered
Reaction score
I believe The Girl with the Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier is eposidic, though it didn't occur to me while reading it.

Sempine

Registered
Reaction score
My mother used to label a miserable flu-like sickness as the Epizoody. Perhaps Episodic novels were used in treating that condition.

Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.