PDA

View Full Version : Help Organizing a Benefit

misslissy
01-31-2008, 03:03 AM
Okay, so here's the sitch. I'm trying to organize a music benefit for the summer. I have some idea of where to start, but I'm not really sure on a lot of things. I know the basics of what I need, but the question is, how do I get them? Anyone here have experience and willing to help me out ?

writerterri
01-31-2008, 03:06 AM
How do you get them what?

You mean people?

Flier. Pass them out. Work out other details a long the way.

misslissy
01-31-2008, 03:34 AM
I don't mean people. I mean things like location, food, possibly security, tickets, etc.

Securing people is the easy part. It's putting everything together that will get the people there.

writerterri
01-31-2008, 03:43 AM
How about an amphitheater? Winter. Too cold.

See if you can use a room in a library. Do you have a big library near you?

misslissy
01-31-2008, 03:55 AM
I'm working on securing an ampitheatre. The benefit isn't now, or any time soon actually. I know in order to pull off, I need to start early. It's for this summer so it shouldn't be too cold out.

melaniehoo
01-31-2008, 04:11 AM
Just start talking to vendors. If you're having it at an amphitheater the staff might have people they've worked with in the past - that might be a good place to start.

Often times businesses will cut you a break on prices in return for having their name included on advertisements (food provided by xxx). I was involved with an annual fundraiser for a non-profit several years in a row (just a helper) and the director really pushed every contact she knew. You might be surprised by who's willing to help for a good cause.

Good luck!

Saint Fool
01-31-2008, 04:12 AM
Most important question:

How much do you want to raise and how much money do you want to spend on the event itself? Way too many groups end up not raising any money or going into debt because they don't set goals/spending limits. Create a realistic budget and stick to it.

Most important action:

Starting now, get a group of people who are willing to work on the fundraiser. DO NOT TRY TO DO THIS BY YOURSELF. DO NOT THINK THAT PEOPLE WILL AUTOMATICALLY TURN UP TO HELP. You need a producer/manager who oversees the entire thing. You will need folks to sell businesses/people into donating items/time , someone who is good at getting volunteers and putting them to work, someone who can keep the books AND an entirely different someone to deal with the money, a media person for press releases, posters, and publicity.

That's my two cents.

writerterri
01-31-2008, 04:12 AM
You could also have businesses buy banners from you as your sponsors.

misslissy
01-31-2008, 04:24 AM
Thanks guys. This is really helpful. And yeah, I realize that by myself this will be a huge undertaking. I'm not quite sure how much money I want to raise at this point, but my aunt is helping me out on how to get sponsorships and stuff. I'm also going to talk to the people at the volunteer center in my area, to see if they can hook me up with some more people.

And thanks S'Fool - your advice is perhaps the most helpful I've received so far.