3 Ways they used Pee in WWI

nancy sv

30 months on a bicycle...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.familyonbikes.com
OK - my son just came up and told me there were three ways they used PEE in WWI (I know, I know... more info than you wanted to know, huh??)

1) To cool the cannons. The cannons got so hot from repeated use and they needed a way to cool them off. So all the soldiers peed in a bucket and then they dumped the pee over the cannon.

2) As a face cover. If a bomb with poisonous gases was dropped, they would pee on a handkerchief and hold it over their face (like a wet towel in a fire)

3) To make a boot a stronger weapon. If they ran out of ammo, they would pee in their boot to make it heavier. That way, when they kicked an enemy it would hurt him worse than an empty boot.

Just thought I'd share - aren't you glad I did!?!?! (This info came from the Horrible Histories books - don't blame me!!)

HeronW

Down Under Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Like I'd really have time to pee on my boots before the enemy got me? :} Wouldn't sh*tting on them not only make them heavier but more toxic?
*blinking innocently*

akiwiguy

AW Inmate #90976
Registered
Reaction score
I suspect drinking pee might have been sometimes resorted to. Interestingly, in absence of disease etc. it is harmless, and such imbibing has been considered natural and beneficial by some cultures. I prefer a nice Cabernet Sauvignon myself, but each to their own.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
I think Nancy has finally gone around the bend on that bike of hers. :)

Speaking of pee, a friend once sold water purifiers that you hook up to a faucet. In order to demonstrate how effective the filter was, he urinated in a cup and poured the contents over the filter. What came out was crystal clear water. I was amazed. Then I was horrified when he drank his own purified piss.

His demonstration was effective, though, and I bought one on the spot.

Potluck

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Also used as a type of anti venum(?)

A friend gets bit and you piss on him.

Oh... OH wait..I have another one. It's also good for athletes foot. Probably the real reason they peed in their boots.

Last edited:

akiwiguy

AW Inmate #90976
Registered
Reaction score

Speaking of pee, a friend once sold water purifiers that you hook up to a faucet. In order to demonstrate how effective the filter was, he urinated in a cup and poured the contents over the filter. What came out was crystal clear water. I was amazed. Then I was horrified when he drank his own purified piss.

So let me guess SK... since then you have been drinking... for God's sake, it was only a demomonstration! It works with tap water too you know!

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Yea, but did you swallow?

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
...A friend gets bit and you piss on him.
That reminds me of a man who was taking a leak outdoors when a cobra sprang up and bit his manhood. His friend ran to a nearby doctor's home and was told that unless he sucked out the venom immediately, his friend would die.

He ran back to his buddy, who by now was feverish. He laid a hand on the man's hot forehead and said, "I'm sorry, but the doc says you're gonna die."

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
So let me guess SK... since then you have been drinking... for God's sake, it was only a demomonstration! It works with tap water too you know!
By now, you must think I'm a big believer in recycling. ;)

Yea, but did you swallow?
No, but he did. He tried to offer me a sip, and I thought he was kidding until he gulped it down. It was a helluva selling point that hooked me instantly.

I stopped using the water purifier after about a year because the filters were too damn expensive.

donroc

Historicals and Horror rule
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
I suspect drinking pee might have been sometimes resorted to. Interestingly, in absence of disease etc. it is harmless, and such imbibing has been considered natural and beneficial by some cultures. I prefer a nice Cabernet Sauvignon myself, but each to their own.

Perhaps a meritage of cab, vognier, and pee for acidic balance?
:ROFL:

johnnysannie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
leeannsontheimermurphywriterauthor.blogspot.com
OK - my son just came up and told me there were three ways they used PEE in WWI (I know, I know... more info than you wanted to know, huh??)

1) To cool the cannons. The cannons got so hot from repeated use and they needed a way to cool them off. So all the soldiers peed in a bucket and then they dumped the pee over the cannon.

2) As a face cover. If a bomb with poisonous gases was dropped, they would pee on a handkerchief and hold it over their face (like a wet towel in a fire)

3) To make a boot a stronger weapon. If they ran out of ammo, they would pee in their boot to make it heavier. That way, when they kicked an enemy it would hurt him worse than an empty boot.

Just thought I'd share - aren't you glad I did!?!?! (This info came from the Horrible Histories books - don't blame me!!)

See? War is far from pretty. Other uses for urine included pissing to make mud which was then slapped over a heavily bleeding wound to slow or even stop the bleeding and yes, as one poster mentioned, drinking piss when there was no water available was done on occasion.

WerenCole

Funny what? Do I amuse you?
Registered
Reaction score
Shouldn't this be in the how random can we be thread?

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just a point of physiology--if one is without water in an arid situation, drinking urine is just as bad as drinking saltwater. Neither will solve the thirst problem, rather both will make it worse, and more quickly fatal (because the individual will be taking in water that has a higher osmotic concentration than his/her own body fluids). You know, it's that old Ancient Mariner thing (not exact wording below):

Water, water, every where,
and all the boards did shrink,
Water, water, every where,
nor any drop to drink.

Coleridge knew his physiology (or at least knew some real mariners).

Oh, and about those three ways to pee, I was stuck after standing up and sitting down, until I remembered that one time when I was young and I woke up on a warm, soggy mattress.

Last edited:

Writer???

Because EYE said so!
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Julia Roberts did a documentary narration for a movie called "Three Days in Septmber", on that school take over in Chechen.

They (the people interviewed and telling their stories) said that many of them had drank their own pee. One mother gave her son his own and then drank some of it herself. It was a horrible situation and drinking pee was probably the least of concern for them.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
Also used as a type of anti venum(?)

A friend gets bit and you piss on him.

Oh... OH wait..I have another one. It's also good for athletes foot. Probably the real reason they peed in their boots.

Some folks swear it's good for jellyfish stings, but others swear it's a myth.

If one of you gets stung, give it a try and let us know, 'k?

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Some folks swear it's good for jellyfish stings, but others swear it's a myth.
Those who swear it's a myth belong to the medical establishment. At best, it does nothing. At the worse, it triggers undischarged nematocysts, making the sting worse. The first step is to wash the sting in seawater (not urine and not freshwater).