PDA

View Full Version : 3 Ways they used Pee in WWI

nancy sv
01-31-2008, 02:22 AM
OK - my son just came up and told me there were three ways they used PEE in WWI (I know, I know... more info than you wanted to know, huh??)

1) To cool the cannons. The cannons got so hot from repeated use and they needed a way to cool them off. So all the soldiers peed in a bucket and then they dumped the pee over the cannon.

2) As a face cover. If a bomb with poisonous gases was dropped, they would pee on a handkerchief and hold it over their face (like a wet towel in a fire)

3) To make a boot a stronger weapon. If they ran out of ammo, they would pee in their boot to make it heavier. That way, when they kicked an enemy it would hurt him worse than an empty boot.

Just thought I'd share - aren't you glad I did!?!?! (This info came from the Horrible Histories books - don't blame me!!)

writerterri
01-31-2008, 02:31 AM
I trying to decide wheather or not to put you on ignore, dork.

nancy sv
01-31-2008, 02:36 AM
Wait!! Wait!! I just provided your friendly public service announcement... Isn't that info you always wanted to know?

HeronW
01-31-2008, 02:41 AM
Like I'd really have time to pee on my boots before the enemy got me? :} Wouldn't sh*tting on them not only make them heavier but more toxic?
*blinking innocently*

akiwiguy
01-31-2008, 02:47 AM
I suspect drinking pee might have been sometimes resorted to. Interestingly, in absence of disease etc. it is harmless, and such imbibing has been considered natural and beneficial by some cultures. I prefer a nice Cabernet Sauvignon myself, but each to their own.

Silver King
01-31-2008, 02:48 AM
I think Nancy has finally gone around the bend on that bike of hers. :)

Speaking of pee, a friend once sold water purifiers that you hook up to a faucet. In order to demonstrate how effective the filter was, he urinated in a cup and poured the contents over the filter. What came out was crystal clear water. I was amazed. Then I was horrified when he drank his own purified piss.

His demonstration was effective, though, and I bought one on the spot.

maestrowork
01-31-2008, 02:50 AM
This forum has finally gone down the toilet.

Potluck
01-31-2008, 02:51 AM
Also used as a type of anti venum(?)

A friend gets bit and you piss on him.

Oh... OH wait..I have another one. It's also good for athletes foot. Probably the real reason they peed in their boots.

akiwiguy
01-31-2008, 02:53 AM

Speaking of pee, a friend once sold water purifiers that you hook up to a faucet. In order to demonstrate how effective the filter was, he urinated in a cup and poured the contents over the filter. What came out was crystal clear water. I was amazed. Then I was horrified when he drank his own purified piss.

So let me guess SK... since then you have been drinking... for God's sake, it was only a demomonstration! It works with tap water too you know!

writerterri
01-31-2008, 02:58 AM

Yea, but did you swallow?

Silver King
01-31-2008, 03:17 AM
...A friend gets bit and you piss on him.
That reminds me of a man who was taking a leak outdoors when a cobra sprang up and bit his manhood. His friend ran to a nearby doctor's home and was told that unless he sucked out the venom immediately, his friend would die.

He ran back to his buddy, who by now was feverish. He laid a hand on the man's hot forehead and said, "I'm sorry, but the doc says you're gonna die."

Silver King
01-31-2008, 03:30 AM
So let me guess SK... since then you have been drinking... for God's sake, it was only a demomonstration! It works with tap water too you know!
By now, you must think I'm a big believer in recycling. ;)

Yea, but did you swallow?
No, but he did. He tried to offer me a sip, and I thought he was kidding until he gulped it down. It was a helluva selling point that hooked me instantly.

I stopped using the water purifier after about a year because the filters were too damn expensive.

donroc
01-31-2008, 03:35 AM
I suspect drinking pee might have been sometimes resorted to. Interestingly, in absence of disease etc. it is harmless, and such imbibing has been considered natural and beneficial by some cultures. I prefer a nice Cabernet Sauvignon myself, but each to their own.

Perhaps a meritage of cab, vognier, and pee for acidic balance?
:ROFL:

nancy sv
01-31-2008, 04:09 AM
I knew you guys would take this one and run!!

johnnysannie
01-31-2008, 04:11 AM
OK - my son just came up and told me there were three ways they used PEE in WWI (I know, I know... more info than you wanted to know, huh??)

1) To cool the cannons. The cannons got so hot from repeated use and they needed a way to cool them off. So all the soldiers peed in a bucket and then they dumped the pee over the cannon.

2) As a face cover. If a bomb with poisonous gases was dropped, they would pee on a handkerchief and hold it over their face (like a wet towel in a fire)

3) To make a boot a stronger weapon. If they ran out of ammo, they would pee in their boot to make it heavier. That way, when they kicked an enemy it would hurt him worse than an empty boot.

Just thought I'd share - aren't you glad I did!?!?! (This info came from the Horrible Histories books - don't blame me!!)

See? War is far from pretty. Other uses for urine included pissing to make mud which was then slapped over a heavily bleeding wound to slow or even stop the bleeding and yes, as one poster mentioned, drinking piss when there was no water available was done on occasion.

writerterri
01-31-2008, 04:17 AM
I gotta pee and I don't want to waste it, any one on fire?

Matera the Mad
01-31-2008, 07:15 AM
I would certainly pee in my boots if the enemy was headed toward me.

WerenCole
01-31-2008, 07:30 AM
Shouldn't this be in the how random can we be thread?

nancy sv
01-31-2008, 07:40 AM
We've got a bunch of Horrible Histories books - I bet my son could pick out a whole bunch more random facts and figures if you want!

NeuroFizz
01-31-2008, 10:51 AM
Just a point of physiology--if one is without water in an arid situation, drinking urine is just as bad as drinking saltwater. Neither will solve the thirst problem, rather both will make it worse, and more quickly fatal (because the individual will be taking in water that has a higher osmotic concentration than his/her own body fluids). You know, it's that old Ancient Mariner thing (not exact wording below):

Water, water, every where,
and all the boards did shrink,
Water, water, every where,
nor any drop to drink.

Coleridge knew his physiology (or at least knew some real mariners).

Oh, and about those three ways to pee, I was stuck after standing up and sitting down, until I remembered that one time when I was young and I woke up on a warm, soggy mattress.

Writer???
01-31-2008, 11:31 AM
Julia Roberts did a documentary narration for a movie called "Three Days in Septmber", on that school take over in Chechen.

They (the people interviewed and telling their stories) said that many of them had drank their own pee. One mother gave her son his own and then drank some of it herself. It was a horrible situation and drinking pee was probably the least of concern for them.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
01-31-2008, 04:39 PM
Also used as a type of anti venum(?)

A friend gets bit and you piss on him.

Oh... OH wait..I have another one. It's also good for athletes foot. Probably the real reason they peed in their boots.

Some folks swear it's good for jellyfish stings, but others swear it's a myth.

If one of you gets stung, give it a try and let us know, 'k?

nancy sv
01-31-2008, 05:14 PM

If one of you gets stung, give it a try and let us know, 'k?

I try to avoid jelly fish stings whenever possible.

NeuroFizz
01-31-2008, 05:16 PM
Those who swear it's a myth belong to the medical establishment. At best, it does nothing. At the worse, it triggers undischarged nematocysts, making the sting worse. The first step is to wash the sting in seawater (not urine and not freshwater).

Bmwhtly
01-31-2008, 05:18 PM
NeuroFizz - MythBuster!

Good to know, sir.

maestrowork
01-31-2008, 05:20 PM
Pee is good for rinsing the coffeepot at the Cooler.

nancy sv
01-31-2008, 05:54 PM
Those who swear it's a myth belong to the medical establishment. At best, it does nothing. At the worse, it triggers undischarged nematocysts, making the sting worse. The first step is to wash the sting in seawater (not urine and not freshwater).

But don't jellyfish live in saltwater in the first place? So presumably, if one were to get a jellyfish sting, it would automatically be washed in salt water. I know I've gotten all mine while swimming in salt water anyway...

Mr Flibble
01-31-2008, 05:59 PM
I thought the peeing in boots was to soften up a new pair so you didn't get blisters. ( pee in them, leave them over night. Add dubbin, pop them in the ashes of fire for a few hours, bang with hammer, presto! ncie soft leather, no chaffing)

Or so my uncle did in WWII anyway.

I know people who've pee'd on their leathers for the same effect, never tried it myself :)

NeuroFizz
01-31-2008, 06:42 PM
But don't jellyfish live in saltwater in the first place? So presumably, if one were to get a jellyfish sting, it would automatically be washed in salt water. I know I've gotten all mine while swimming in salt water anyway...
You want to try to clean the wound by flushing it with water, which may also wash off the remaining pieces of tentacle (which can still sting more). Using freshwater will make the nematocysts on those tentacle pieces fire (due to the osmotic shock). Seawater won't. Also, don't brush off the tentacle pieces. That'll make more nematocytst fire as well. Tweeze them off if you can't wash them off.

NeuroFizz
01-31-2008, 06:44 PM
I thought the peeing in boots was to soften up a new pair so you didn't get blisters. ( pee in them, leave them over night. Add dubbin, pop them in the ashes of fire for a few hours, bang with hammer, presto! ncie soft leather, no chaffing)

Or so my uncle did in WWII anyway.

I know people who've pee'd on their leathers for the same effect, never tried it myself
I can see some PETA people coming totally unglued now.

Mr Flibble
01-31-2008, 06:53 PM
I can see some PETA people coming totally unglued now.

I think they waited till after the cow was dead :)

eldragon
01-31-2008, 06:56 PM
where's the puking smiley face?

Writer???
01-31-2008, 11:33 PM
After we had discovered that you could pick them up by the big globby "heads", my cousin and I got in a fight at the beach and threw jellyfish on each other. Not a pleasant day.

NeuroFizz
02-01-2008, 12:00 AM
In the Pacific Northwest, there are brightly bioluminescent, non-stinging jellies. It gives a whole new meaning to jellyfish fights when it's done at night with them--they glow when they strike something (someone).

Bartholomew
02-01-2008, 01:49 AM
Beautiful.

All but the first one sound completely fabricated, incidentally.