How to Vote in the Valentine's Sonnet Contest

LimeyDawg

Scars are poems too
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I've mulled this over, and this is what I believe to be the fairest way to vote.

I don't want us to lose a great poem buried in the middle to end of this long list, so I broke the poems into four groups (I simply chopped it into groups of 8--assuming there are no more entries). We have 2 weeks to read the poems (13 days, to be precise) so 8 sonnets a day shouldn't be a stretch.

From each group, choose your top 3. From those picks, then choose one poem that stands out as your pick for overall favorite.

Use the "Scorecard" to keep track. It will be posted in a thread called "Scorecard" tomorrow. (Hint: Copy it to a PM and send it to yourself each time you read a group. That way, you don't have to go through all the poems at once.) Once you have your scorecard complete, PM it to me (Limeydawg).

All votes must be to me by February 13th. No votes accepted after that time. Voting is open to all AW members. Feel free to PM me if you have questions.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So, does this mean we vote for one sonnet from each group of eight, for a total of three votes?

LimeyDawg

Scars are poems too
Registered
Reaction score
Sure. You can even vote for your top 3 from each group of 8. But, I'll still need to know which, out of all the poems, is your overall favorite.

LimeyDawg

Scars are poems too
Registered
Reaction score
They're veiled by the deadline. I'll post them on February First.

LimeyDawg

Scars are poems too
Registered
Reaction score
Tell you what...as soon as Stew gets hers in, I'll post them. It's still open til the end of today, though.

LimeyDawg

Scars are poems too
Registered
Reaction score
<imagine that scene from Caddyshack...>

Welllllllllllll. We're waiting...."

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I'll probably have to put my final polish on after work tonight, which means I'll be the last submission at just around 9 pm pst.
-ummm, but if you post the other poems early-then nevermind ;)
(like how I make you the bad-guy for my procrastination?? :D )

LimeyDawg

Scars are poems too
Registered
Reaction score
I'll probably have to put my final polish on after work tonight, which means I'll be the last submission at just around 9 pm pst.
-ummm, but if you post the other poems early-then nevermind ;)
(like how I make you the bad-guy for my procrastination?? :D )

Well, there are 33 entries so far, so I doubt posting them a few hours early will matter. I'll probably wait until midnight or so tonight anyway.

LimeyDawg

Scars are poems too
Registered
Reaction score
<roll the "jeopardy" music>
TICK TOCK
TICK TOCK
TICK TOCK
TICK TOCK

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sure. You can even vote for your top 3 from each group of 8. But, I'll still need to know which, out of all the poems, is your overall favorite.

Just to clarify, then...in the PM, we're only casting a vote for our favorite - not first, second, third choice.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Is 33 the most that has ever been submitted in an AW poetry contest?
I don't think so, but perhaps -- I can check the ones I've emceed (this weekend).

I'd say it's a record, though, for formal poetry here.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just to clarify, then...in the PM, we're only casting a vote for our favorite - not first, second, third choice.
Maybe a sample ballot would help?

LimeyDawg

Scars are poems too
Registered
Reaction score

Pat,

You can vote how you want to, but to be fair to the poets and their effort, I'd prefer it done this way:

I would like to know what your top 3 are out of each group. After you have read all four groups, and picked your favorites out of each, then pick the one that you think is best. This will mean you will submit to me:
Your 1st, 2nd, 3rd out of each group for a total of 12 votes PLUS

your favorite out of those.

LimeyDawg

Scars are poems too
Registered
Reaction score
GAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Wow, I feel better now. I seem to have overcomplicated the voting process, so just vote how the hey you feel like voting. End of story.

LimeyDawg

Scars are poems too
Registered
Reaction score
A note of apology here.

Three poems were left out of the four groups I posted. I've corrected it with a fifth group, but until it gets bumped by an admin, I'd like to ask that we all scroll down and view these great entries too.

Cassie88

Make mine a double entendre
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Dawg, I think you need to either stick with your original process or have us vote in order, since there are numerous prizes. IF everyone just submits their favorite, well, that may cause problems for you in deciding who gets second, third, etc.

I think the best way is for you to tell us how many entries will win prizes - 4 prizes, 4 winners, etc. So, I'd rather be able to vote using ALL entries and picking my picks in order of preference. As

# 1 Love Hurts (making these names up)
# 2 Hearts and Flowers
# 3 Kiss Me
# 4 Be Still My Heart
# 5 (?) If There is a Fifth Prize

Mark, you can give points to each group...to help you add up total votes... in other word, all poems listed as # 1 get 10 pts, # 2 gets 9 pts. etc. ...follow me.

Don't mean to complicate things, just trying to help.

Last edited: