PDA

View Full Version : Snow Day - How's this for logic??

nancy sv
01-30-2008, 05:32 PM
The first thing I did this morning was check the internet and found out schools here were cancelled - WOO HOO!!! So I was lounging around, lazily relaxing, rather than my typical frantic mad dash to get ready to go to school when I got a phone call from my principal.

She was just calling to let me know that today was a snow day - but it was a REGULAR WORK DAY FOR TEACHERS!!! So - if I felt that I could get in, I was supposed to go to work and get stuff done in my classroom. And then she added, "Of course, if YOU feel the roads are too icy and treacherous for you to get in to school, then feel free to stay home!" She also added that she lives on a hill and there was no way she was leaving home to go in to school.

Now I do understand that, as teachers, we are contracted for a certain number of days, and today has to count as one of those days - but that had to rank up there as one of the most bizarre messages I've ever gotten!! "It's a snow day because the roads are too icy and treacherous to get to school, but if you feel they aren't, then by all means come in anyway!"

Devil Ledbetter
01-30-2008, 06:13 PM
I understand the logic. Unless the roads are so treacherous that every business, office and government agency had to shut down, it's assumed teachers could get to work as easily as other employed adults.

Liability wise, it's quite another thing for the schools to put expensive, difficult-to-maneuver school buses packed with the offspring of sue-happy parents on icy roads.

nancy sv
01-30-2008, 06:26 PM
That makes sense - I never thought about it that way.

Devil Ledbetter
01-30-2008, 06:40 PM
That makes sense - I never thought about it that way.DH is a teacher. I get lots of chances to think these things through.

nancy sv
01-30-2008, 06:43 PM
In any case - I'm not going in. At least right now I'm not going in. I may decide to go in and get some work done later today, but right now I'm still sitting here in my jimjams...

Joycecwilliams
01-30-2008, 07:32 PM
Well I have just the opposite problem...

The news, internet, and radio said a 2 hour delay. So my kids went out to the bus stop after 2 hours was past. I get a phone call from one of their friends telling me that the bus is not running.

I go out and get the kids, bring them back in the house. Call up one of the members of our school board. She didn't know anything. Called up the SAU they said... there is a two hour delay. I then asked her about the bus. She said "The busses aren't running this AM"

"Oh are they going to be running later in the day?"
"No" she said.
"So, what about the kids going to school?"
"Well there is a two hour delay."

It was then I realised I was talking with an idiot and hung up.

I live on top of a mountain, my road is like a coke bottle. I can drive on it... so I kept the kids home.

nancy sv
01-30-2008, 08:00 PM
The bus thing is nuts. Two years ago we had a bad storm and the roads were terrible. Every district around here cancelled school, but not mine. They kept saying - "Double your commute time", but there was no way I could. I couldn't drop the kids off at day care until 7. So - I had the kids at day care at 7 sharp and started on to school, which normally took me 20 minutes. Traffic was backed up so badly I sat there in my car for 90 minutes!!! 90 minutes!!

So I got to school and we didn't have hardly any kids - the busses hadn't gotten through yet. The kids finally started trickling in around 9:30 (school started at 8) - the latest bus reached MY school at 10:15. The thing is - the busses then had to go out and pick up the elementary kids who had been standing by the curb since 8:00!!!! If I had had kids who rode the bus, and they had stood around out there on the side of the road for three or more hours, I would have been furious! Fortunately, mine were safely at day care, so it wasn't an issue for me. But it was an issue with LOTS of kids! School should have been cancelled that day.

Joycecwilliams
01-30-2008, 08:07 PM
The bus thing is nuts. Two years ago we had a bad storm and the roads were terrible. Every district around here cancelled school, but not mine. They kept saying - "Double your commute time", but there was no way I could. I couldn't drop the kids off at day care until 7. So - I had the kids at day care at 7 sharp and started on to school, which normally took me 20 minutes. Traffic was backed up so badly I sat there in my car for 90 minutes!!! 90 minutes!!

So I got to school and we didn't have hardly any kids - the busses hadn't gotten through yet. The kids finally started trickling in around 9:30 (school started at 8) - the latest bus reached MY school at 10:15. The thing is - the busses then had to go out and pick up the elementary kids who had been standing by the curb since 8:00!!!! If I had had kids who rode the bus, and they had stood around out there on the side of the road for three or more hours, I would have been furious! Fortunately, mine were safely at day care, so it wasn't an issue for me. But it was an issue with LOTS of kids! School should have been cancelled that day.

What is nuts is no one informed me that the bus wasn't coming..
I think they figure it one less day to make up in the summer... but it is NUTS.

nancy sv
01-30-2008, 08:14 PM
Yeah - they should have at least mentioned that teeny tiny insignificant tidbit of informaiton!!