PDA

View Full Version : JOHNNY DEPP AND DARK SHADOWS

RoccoMom
01-30-2008, 03:58 PM
From the Dark Shadows official website:

http://www.collinwood.net/news/index.htm#depp

Jonathan Frid also had a posting on his website. If i can find it, i'll put it up.

I was obsessed with this show as a teen - so much so that I actually started a fanclub for Frid. We made up a scrapbook, and I actually got to visit the studio and present it to him. He gave us a tour and everything. Real exciting for a 15 year old girl at the time :)

OK, here's the link to Frid's website. You have to scroll down a bit to see the Depp article. It's scanned in from another paper.

http://www.jonathanfrid.com/main06.htm

Toothpaste
01-30-2008, 08:14 PM
So what is Dark Shadows?

HeronW
01-30-2008, 08:16 PM
HELLYEAH!

I loved that show! Angelique was the best as being sooooo evil. The remake with Ben Cross wasn't half bad.

Toothpaste
01-30-2008, 08:21 PM
Seriously! Someone - what is this show about?

melaniehoo
01-30-2008, 08:30 PM
I just wanted to add my drool for Johnny.

*drool*

Calla Lily
01-30-2008, 08:30 PM
Vampire soap opera, toothpaste.

Really. Lots of scenery chewing, atmospheric sets, angst, creepiness. I loved it as a teen too. Didn't much like Ben Cross' remake. Johnny Depp as Barnabas... hmmm...

Toothpaste
01-30-2008, 09:02 PM
Hmm . . . sounds interesting. Not a big vampire fan myself, but if Johnny Depp is in it, count me there!

RoccoMom
01-30-2008, 09:59 PM
the acting was incredibly bad but back then we all thought it was great! They stole the plots from all the famous horror movies (or, rather, borrowed) Dracula, Frankenstein, Turn of the Screw, etc.

they tried to remake it as a nighttime soap in 1991 with Ben Cross and Joanna Going but it flopped big-time. Dan Curtis had another remake he was pitching up until he died last year.

ChaosTitan
01-31-2008, 05:53 AM
One of my guilty pleasures last summer was rewatching the remake series on DVD. Melodrama at its best. And a pre-The Pretender Michael T. Weiss. Yummy!

veinglory
01-31-2008, 06:03 AM
OMG cool. I just rewatched the original. I bet this is a remake that will be better than the first time round!

RoccoMom
01-31-2008, 04:05 PM
Anyone ever watch the movie, House of Dark Shadows?

DaddyCat
01-31-2008, 04:15 PM
Anyone ever watch the movie, House of Dark Shadows?

LOL, that takes me back! My junior high school decided to give the 8th grade students a treat (I don't remember what for), it was an assembly in the school gym to watch "House of Dark Shadows"! Naturally all the girls made a game out of screaming their heads off at any moderately scary scene.

As for the movie, well, it was better than civics or math.

chartreuse
02-09-2008, 12:56 AM
the acting was incredibly bad but back then we all thought it was great! They stole the plots from all the famous horror movies (or, rather, borrowed) Dracula, Frankenstein, Turn of the Screw, etc.

they tried to remake it as a nighttime soap in 1991 with Ben Cross and Joanna Going but it flopped big-time.

A friend of mine and I absolutely adored the 1991 version, but they left a huge cliff-hanger at the end of season 1 and then cancelled the show so we never got to see how it came out.

kristin724
02-11-2008, 04:25 AM
Love this show! Still watch my old vhs from time to time. Another series that I really have to upgrade to DVD someday!

grp1313
04-15-2008, 12:36 PM
A friend of mine and I absolutely adored the 1991 version, but they left a huge cliff-hanger at the end of season 1 and then cancelled the show so we never got to see how it came out.
That would have been Laura Collins, David's Mother (The Pheonix). She was a fire elemental. She was like a vampire, but stole your bodyheat (life-force) until you were dead. That's what the firebird was, that came down the staircase. They had talked about david's mother being in a hospital (mental?) earlier, and I believe that david also recieved a letter from her.

RoccoMom
04-15-2008, 06:44 PM
aha, i forgot about that.
The remake was good too. they had a pilot of yet anothe remake for the 2006-07 season for the WB, but it never made the cut.

RumpleTumbler
04-15-2008, 06:53 PM
I can't believe Jonathan Frid is still alive!

I watched this show as a child....loved it....but he looked kind of old then. :)

Jenan Mac
04-15-2008, 11:45 PM
Johnny Depp as Barnabas? OMG, that's too perfect.

I had the maddest crush on Jeb Hawkes in 5th grade, and my best friend (who was, admittedly, kind of odd) wanted to marry Barnabas. Quentin was too freakish for words, though.

cethklein
04-16-2008, 03:55 AM
Ugggh, so Hollywood is just going to keep digging up old TV shows and making (sure to be) awful movies out of them. At least they haven't ruined The A-Team yet.

Anonymisty
04-16-2008, 05:15 AM
And a pre-The Pretender Michael T. Weiss. Yummy!

I completely forgot he was in that! :D

I used to watch the original Dark Shadows when I was a kid, but I had to sneak to watch it, so my mama wouldn't catch me. She thought it would give me nightmares.

ChaosTitan
04-16-2008, 06:51 AM
At least they haven't ruined The A-Team yet.

Give them time. :(

Gina_Marie
04-16-2008, 07:31 AM
Rockin. :)

I loved the remake show when I was younger. Dunno if its still good or if it was just fond memories. Never could get into the original series though. Their costumes drove me insane. As a historian I just couldnt deal with the hair/dresses.

BenPanced
04-16-2008, 08:34 AM
Ugggh, so Hollywood is just going to keep digging up old TV shows and making (sure to be) awful movies out of them. At least they haven't ruined The A-Team yet.

Give them time. :(
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0429493/

cethklein
04-16-2008, 05:11 PM
Woody Harrelson ... Capt. H.M. 'Howling Mad' Murdock (rumored)

Ice Cube ... Sgt. Bosco 'B.A.' Baracus (rumored)
more

I think I'm going to be sick.