Questions/general comments

biotales

Registered
Reaction score
Stupid question here.... forgive me but it has been a longgggg month...
Where do we post the stories at.... ?

paprikapink

Bored fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
paprikapink2.blogspot.com
Two Questions

1. Is knowledge of "American Idol" a prerequisite? an advantage? a hindrance? an admission of guilt?

2. Can entrants edit their entries after they are posted, up to the deadline? (Why wait when I can worry now?)

-pkpk

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
1. None of the above. It'll just give you an idea of the basic framework of the competition, but I pretty much already outlined it.

2. Hmm. Preferably not, because the judges will probably read as they go along, and I don't want to force them to re-read everything after the deadline. That'll slow down the judging process.

three seven

(Graeme Cameron)
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
paprikapink said:
Can entrants edit their entries after they are posted, up to the deadline?
It'd be safer to make sure your entry is complete and edited to your satisfaction before you post it. After all, not many of those singers got a second shot at their audition!

Obviously entries will be thoroughly considered and reconsidered, but we won't be going back to re-read entries wherever we see an edit record, and if we've already noted something sinister which you later remove, the correction is likely to be disregarded anyway.

EDIT: By the way, that sounded like my mean and moody voice, but it wasn't meant to!

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
Well, I should have read the rules first. The only thing I edited was the spacing for the title and byline since those mushed up at first.

three seven

(Graeme Cameron)
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
No worries Dave, you did it so quickly it wasn't even recorded. It'll be fairly obvious where people have made an oh-crap-I-forgot-the-title type edit right after they post, so that's nothing to worry about.

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What a GREAT idea!

I love what you are doing Jenna.

Melina

Getting better all the time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.atozwordsmith.com
Just reading what's already been posted--this is gonna be one heck of a contest! Good work so far, everyone! Looking forward to new entries!

Melina

three seven

(Graeme Cameron)
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
DeadlyAccurate said:
Should we edit or asterisk any foul language?
If it's important to know which word you've used, you should disguise it yourself - otherwise the whole word will be blanked out and we won't know what you meant. ;)

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Ah, good point.

Yes, I have certain words set to asterisk-out here, but if you need us to know that a character said, "S h i t!", just put spaces between the letters.

And no worries on the editing for format, adding titles, etc. That's totally fine. You *can* edit your entries at any point, but just know that the judges are reading as they go along, so they may not keep re-reading a piece that's been fixed up. It should be in competition-ready form when it's posted.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
What a very cool and groovy idea, Jenna--I'm really enjoying the entries, as they come in. Dang, what a talented bunch. :) This should be fun!

emeraldcite

Art is Resistance
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emeraldcite.blogspot.com
i love idol.

can moderators play? i made an entry, but will withdraw if i have to (or because i have nude photos on an adult website or family troubles...something like that)

Kida Adelyne

Me got zero cookies!
Registered
Reaction score
This is a really neat idea. I've never seen American Idol, or canadian Idol or anything like that. do they have people who just go up for the fun of it, with no intention of winning? I'm going to do that here.

So, question.
I normaly write humour, or fantasy, but I have a great thoughtful piece that fits into the audition requirements. Should I submit that, or should I try for somthing that shows my usual writing style?

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Kida, show your best stuff in a audition (it doesn't matter if you sing jazz or pop or rock or funk or rap...) Pick something that "wows" us. Anything.

Ralyks

Untold stories inside
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.editorskylar.com
Editing

I also edited immediately after posting, to delete the last paragraph to make sure I was under the word count. No further editing.

Kevin Yarbrough

Will write for peace of mind
Registered
Reaction score
Just added my bit. Jenna, I say the finalists should be flown to your house and you set them on some kind of Survivor type thing. I can see it now.

Jenna: "We are now going to clean my house, the first team to finish their tasks first will be granted immunity. I'll see you all tonight at the writers council."