Never been preggers and I gotta know...

jenstrikesagain

Registered
Reaction score
The Texas Republic, The Dallas Experience
How far along do you have to be to get morning sickness? Four weeks? Six? Two months?

If you do get morning sickness (I understand not everyone does) does it stop at some point, like x number of months in, or does it continue throughout?

Thanks.

Voyager

Ribbed for your pleasure.
Registered
Reaction score
Five days in I was hurling and I haven't stopped yet. My kid is 20

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
My friend was sick pretty much through her whole pregnancy. I would say it started maybe 3 months in and then continued til the end. She had to get medication for it.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Two pregnancies and I was never sick with morning sickness, or any other time of day. Almost got toximia, but that's different.

A coworker is pregnant with her first and she's so sick that she, literally, cannot keep food down and has had to be hospitalized due to dehydration and lack of nurishment. My boss also had that problem with both of her kids, she said, however it just went away at about 3 months along.

AndreaGS

Registered
Reaction score
Website
andreagstewart.com
My friend is pregnant right now and poor girl never gets to go out and do stuff because she keeps getting sick! She was told it lets up after the first trimester.

I hope so...my fiance and I were planning on having her and her husband over for dinner in a month or so.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
I felt weezy for a few days, before i even knew I was pregnant. IN fact, that's how I knew. I think in most cases it is at the start of the pregnancy, how long depends on the woman.

jenngreenleaf

Here to network and learn.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenngreeenleaf.com
I didn't get morning sickness with either of my pregnancies, but I know a lot of other mothers that were sick throughout the whole thing. I'd check out momzone.com or pregnancypages.com (or something like that - the URLs are fuzzy in my brain right now) for some personal experiences.

Doogs

Registered
Reaction score
Website
doogs.wordpress.com
My wife's at about thirty weeks, and she still gets sick if she skips a meal, goes outside on a day when the pollen count is high, or looks east at 6:17 PM.

Her morning sickness (which is in fact all-day sickness) started at about five weeks, and was really bad through the end of the first trimester or so. It can still get bad though, especially if she forgets to take her medication (or if Walgreen's is lazy on refilling the prescription - I've had some scrums with them about that).

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
I never threw up, but I got queasy in the car during my first trimester. By the second, I felt much better, and less exhausted. The first trimester all I wanted to do was sleep.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Guidebooks say you get a bit nauseous from about week 4-6, but by week 12 it should have settled down.

I felt sick from week 3, started vomiting around week 5, by week 7 was vomiting seven or eight times a day, and only stopped when I went into labour.

I HATE being pregnant.

Twizzle

Cluck that.
Registered
Reaction score
yep, wks four to six. but then it's SUPPOSED to get better around 12 wks. Me? I had it right up to the birth of both my sons. Had to be hospitilized, the whole shebang. It was miserable. Meals were one stupid cheerio at a time. I used to sit on the bathroom floor and just cry...

Sassee

Momma Wolf
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sasseebioche.blogspot.com
First trimester is most common. Though my grandmother was sick all the way through her pregnancy with my mom. And then I've known people who don't get sick at all. It's pretty random, but I'd say you're safe with first trimester.

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
I never got sick with my first one until I was in labor. I did, however, crave raw steak and would hurl after a single bite. Other than that little bit, nothing.

Babies two-four, I was sick the entire time. Started tossing cookies before the pregnancies were even confirmed, and kept it up the whole nine twenty-seven months. Thank God that's over.

Andrhia

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.deusexmachinatio.com
Both times, I started feeling queasy at 6-8 weeks in, both in the mornings or any time of day if it had been a while since I'd eaten. It lasted through about the fifth month. I only threw up under extreme provocation, though (think, stuck in a rental car that smelled of air freshener and old cigarettes). Mostly I just WISHED I could throw up and get it over with.

In general, if I had a really late-night snack and ate a lot of protein, I felt much better.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For me, it always hit at about 10 days in and abated sometime during the second trimester, but it's different for everyone. The first trimester is the most common. I wasn't as naseous with my first, but I had MAJOR food aversions. Things I had formerly loved simply disgusted me. I vomited at the smell of coffee and had no interest in chocolate. (How freaky is that?)

reigningcatsndogs

Too sad for words.
Registered
Reaction score
Missing Writer??? May flights of angels carry you
The only morning sickness I had was when we went on our first, last and only holiday out of the province when I was just a few weeks along. I barfed all over the Las Vegas strip -- we had a really good time there! I had incredible cravings, though, and I found my sense of smell was unbelievably acute for both pregnancies! My sister, for all her pregnancies, started throwing up before she even had a postive test result, and continued to do so until well into her last trimester.

nerds

of all the gin joints
Registered
Reaction score
As you've seen from all the posts, there's a broad range of experience. I had it severely throughout the fourth month but that was all, none prior, none after. Just the sight of food generally but most especially breakfast items such as EGGS in any form, omg, eggs, was enough to put me in the bathroom barfing for embarrassing lengths of time. And cereal, ralllphhhh. I spent that month avoiding the company of anyone who was eating breakfast.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
My mum reckons she started to be sick the day after I was concieved and didn't stop till I was born - and the second I was, she was ravenous!

But I started at 4 weeks ( which is actually approx 2 weeks after the actual conception). Ate nothing but curry, chocolate and custard for nine months, because I hurled everything else.

johnnysannie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
leeannsontheimermurphywriterauthor.blogspot.com
Morning sickness varies from one woman to another AND from one pregnancy to another.

With my twins, I was sick - at any time of day - for the first six months.

With my son, I was only sick a few times around the 3rd month.

I know women who were never sick at all and women who were sick for the entire 9 months.

eldragon

in a van down by the river
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
It usually starts at around 6 weeks and is finished by 16 weeks.

My first pregnancy, I had it very bad. I retched morning, noon and night. In the car, in the yard, and sometimes if I was lucky, at home in the toilet.

It started to slow down in the fourth month, and was gone by the end of that month.

My second pregnancy, I was sick one time.

BarbaraKE

Registered
Reaction score
The nausea and vomiting of pregnancy are frequently called morning sickness because these symptoms are generally more acute then. However, they may occur at any time and may continue throughout the day. It is believed to be related to increased levels of hCG and estrogen (which starts occuring even before a menstrual cycle is missed). It usually ends by the second trimester. There is a different condition called hyperemesis gravidarum in which the patient experiences severe vomiting accompanied by weight loss, dehydration, electrolyte imbalance, and ketosis. This condition is VERY serious and the mother often needs to be hospitalized.

(Can you tell that 1) I'm in nursing school and 2) currently studying maternity? <grin>)

Last edited:

She_wulf

that's me
Registered
Reaction score
Website
CaliaWilde.com
Morning sickness varies from one woman to another AND from one pregnancy to another.
I know women who were never sick at all ...
*waves*
I was sick one day with baby # 1 (at about 10 weeks, give or take - the smell of peanut butter triggered it believe it or not.)
0 days - baby #2 Terrible heartburn from month 8 on though (full head of hair to blame for that)

Both children however were "heralded" by me fainting. I don't faint, but did with each at about 2-3 weeks. Even before "other symptoms" manifested. That's how I KNEW with the second one.

Amy

nerds

of all the gin joints
Registered
Reaction score
hah - heartburn. I'd forgotten that. That was throughout my eighth/ninth month when my son was squishing all my innards to oblivion. :D