PDA

View Full Version : Blog Speak

ColoradoGuy
01-29-2008, 11:01 PM
The most recent New York Review of Books has this review (http://www.nybooks.com/articles/21013) of ten books about blogs and blogging. The article also discusses blog speak, how this new writing has its own rules:

Blogging at its freest is like going to a masked ball. You can say all the spiteful, infantile things you wouldn't dream of saying if you were in print or face to face with another human being. You can flirt with anyone, or try to. You can tell the President exactly what you think of him. You can have political opinions your friends would despise you for. You can even libel people you don't like and hide behind an alias. (It's very hard to get back at anonymous bloggers who defame you because, by an act of Congress, Web site administrators aren't liable for what's written on their sites.[3] And erasing anything on the Web is almost impossible.) You can assume a new identity and see how it flies—no strings attached.

Any thoughts?

paprikapink
01-29-2008, 11:06 PM
That's "at its freest." How often would we guess that blogs are at their freest? I suppose this is all true at that end of the "freeness" spectrum, but I suspect that the vast majority of blogs aren't in that region of the blogging freedom bell curve.

ColoradoGuy
01-29-2008, 11:31 PM
There's lots of other interesting stuff in the article as well, such as bloggers as journalists.

DamaNegra
01-30-2008, 10:24 AM
The part I loved the most about the article was the ending lines:

Finally, I think I get the superhero fixation. It's the flying. It's the suspension of punctuation and good manners and even identity. Bloggers at their computers are Supermen in flight. They break the rules. They go into their virtual phone booths, put on their costumes, bring down their personal villains, and save the world. Anonymous or not, they inhabit that source of power and hope. Then they come back to their jobs, their dogs, and their lives, and it's like, "Dude, the ball."

Blog writing is id writing—grandiose, dreamy, private, free-associative, infantile, sexy, petty, dirty. Whether bloggers tell the truth or really are who they claim to be is another matter, but WTF. They are what they write. And you can't fake that. ;-)

I agree 100% with this. Blog writing is what people have always wanted to do: expressing all their opinions without having anyone censoring (wethere by their mere presence or by shutting them up) and with no barriers. People can be whoever they want and reinvent themselves. Hell, they can even have their 15 minutes of fame if they are witty enough (as the article points out).

However, I'd be more interested to see what impact Blogs have on other outlets of the written word. Novels, memoirs and non-fiction books are being born from Blogs. As ColoradoGuy has pointed out, Blogs are slowly assuming roles that were previously only for journalists. So, what impacts will Blogs have on the long-run?

JacobWorld
03-27-2008, 11:20 AM
For blogging language I blame American English
Tend to use LOL, BRB  

bluntforcetrauma
03-27-2008, 11:23 AM
First of all, Superman never used a phone booth. Underdog did. Sheesh...

WildScribe
03-27-2008, 07:19 PM
Really? I thought Superman did, too. My world view is shattered...

On topic now, I blog about polyamory, which is something that I want to promote understanding of while still not being out of the closet to my family. Blogging under an assumed name (okay, my middle name) allows me to be totally honest without worrying that my family will google me. Because they have, and no, I don't know why.

I am perfectly honest except for small details: any name you see in my blog is a fake name, and some time frames have been tweaked (usually within a day or two) to keep people from the small chance of recognizing anyone through their actions or whatever. Plus I also don't want "Becky" to become a reader ;)

~D