Internships in Publishing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys,

My school has a program where we get off for a week in May in order to complete an internship in our field of choice. Cool in theory, but finding something you're interested in that offers a week-long internship is a chooore (and my principal tells me that staying at home writing doesn't count. Which really doesn't seem fair to me, but whatever.)

I was wondering if any of you had any information on how to get a good, short, unpaid internship in the publishing or lit agent world--NY is great, though anything in D.C. would be ideal (but I realize there are few opportunities for that here.) A lot of publishers have programs posted, but they're all for eight or so weeks and I don't have that time alloted...so does anyone know anything? Any secret connections or passwords that'll let me in?

Thanks,
shady

Hobbes

Sneaky. In a good way.
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know about publishers in D.C., but there is a literary agency, Graybill & English, you could look into. Just an idea.

drachin8

post-apocalyptic bunny
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe you could try interning for an online zine for a week. Find some you like and see what they think about making you a temporary slushie or something.

:)

-Michelle

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe you could try interning for an online zine for a week. Find some you like and see what they think about making you a temporary slushie or something.

:)

-Michelle

oooh good idea, thanks! And thanks for the name, Hobbes...I'll definitely look into them.

Esopha

bam pow zap.
Registered
Reaction score
From Google, I see that Graybill & English has broken up, but the break-off agencies (does that make sense?) have offices in DC.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, they've split into separate offices. I agree that interning with an agent or magazine is a great alternative to the big publishing houses. Good luck, Hannah.

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! I get the whole school today tomorrow...I think I'll just start sending emails and see what happens...

Straka

Bored Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
danstraka.blogspot.com
I would check out scholastic. My gf was a marketing intern there a few years back and she had a blast. She wasn't in love with NYC but scholastic is a very good company to work. They also have a high ratio of female executives .

K1P1

Procrastination is its own reward
Registered
Reaction score
Why not check out...
Atlantic Media http://www.atlanticmediacompany.com/
And the list of literary journals in the DC area: http://washingtonart.com/beltway/journallinks.html

It seems to me that you might have a chance to work with a journal edited by a faculty member at a local university for a week if the corporate folks ignore you. Another option would be to contact the editors of the student papers at the local universities. If they put out a daily or a weekly paper, there's sure to be work to be done and since it's all volunteer, you should fit right in.

And what about NPR? They might let you follow an editor around for a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.