PDA

View Full Version : I'm tired of feeling left out

Greenwolf103
01-29-2008, 07:20 PM
Do you think we have the technology to set up a "closed-captioning" feature for online videos?

I am deaf without hearing aids and there are so many times I've had to tell friends and family I couldn't watch a video online because I can't hear. And there's NO closed-captioning for those videos.

Is there any way closed-captioning can be set up for online videos, so that deaf people can enjoy them, too?

A deaf friend I talked about this with said, "It's just another thing closed off to you and me." I want to say that it shouldn't be.

III
01-29-2008, 07:30 PM
I don't know of any standard program that does this, but if you wanted to invest the time maybe you could call yourself through the Relay service and hold the phone up to the computer speakers and pause the playback every few seconds and have the operator type it out for you. I used to be a Relay operator many years ago and I would have loved to have gotten a fun call like that.

Greenwolf103
01-29-2008, 07:55 PM
That's an interesting idea. I don't use a telephone with a TTY anymore -- just Internet relay -- but that is something to think about.

clockwork
01-29-2008, 08:13 PM
It is possible to close caption videos on youtube but it's up to the video-maker to do it. I think the main problem is that a lot of people don't know how to do it (or they're lazy.) Hopefully it will be something that will become more commonplace.

CaroGirl
01-29-2008, 08:22 PM
If friends are sending you the links to YouTube videos, you could simply ask that they type the text of the video in the email. A friend would do that.

Susie
01-29-2008, 08:48 PM
Sure sorry that you're unable to hear the youtube videos. Do you think you could talk to some of the deaf associations and they might have ideas that can help? Sure hope it works out well for you.

K1P1
01-30-2008, 01:51 AM
I have to say that I'm one of those people who leave the speaker on my computer turned off all the time, so I always watch videos without the sound. If they don't convey anything visually, then there was no reason for them to be made into a video in the first place. Of course, if I were in your position, I'd probably be annoyed too,