Sending a followup to an agent?

zeprosnepsid

Registered
Reaction score
I've posted here a lot lately=) And the story goes on.

I've been dealing with an agent by e-mail. At first, she responded to all my e-mails (my query, my questions, my proposal) the very next day. Because she was responding so quickly I held off on submitting to any other agents until I hear back from her (why waste the stamps, when this was going so well?). A little over a week ago I sent her my sample chapter and I've not heard back from her since. I know in the publishing world a week and a half is not much of a wait time, but considering she was responding to me so quickly before, I am concerned. It may be that she's lost interest (in which case I wish she'd just tell me!) or just hasn't gotten around to it yet (I know they are busy).

But I'm trying to decide what to do. After a little over a week is it to presumptuous to send a follow-up e-mail? Just to be like "Did you receive what I sent you?" Should I wait a little longer? Should I put in the e-mail a politer version of "You were responding so fast before, what's up?" Should I send out all the queries I have printed up and in envelopes ready to go (now dated like 2 weeks ago because I've been holding them) or continue to wait to hear from her?

Thanks for any advice!

Vomaxx

Registered
Reaction score
Website
andiriel.blogspot.com
IMHO, you should just relax, don't risk annoying her, and wait at least three weeks before contacting her. And by all means send out the other queries.

Keep in mind that to be accepted by one of the first agents you wrote to would be a miraculous event. I sincerely hope that miracle happens, but keep your expectations realistic.

zeprosnepsid

Registered
Reaction score
In my utter impatience, I did send the e-mail. As it turns out, she claims to have not gotten my my e-mail and that explained her lack of reply.

I thought it was odd because in our several other conversations she had always replied next day.

I know it would be uncanny to get your first agent but since our correspondance was going so quickly and positively, I thought I could hold off on sending to other agents. But because of this extra week flub up, all those letters are dated march 1 and it's currently march 15. oh well.

Daughter of Faulkner

Always a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mysite.verizon.net
Give it time

Alas, I too have been spoiled with all the attention straight away to tell you the truth and can relate!
It does take time, though. And give that agent that time (within reason of course) to read, think then react on your ms.
"Think of it as not getting engaged on the first date!"

If you want to be clever when sending an e-mail go to options and there's a way to select the option that will let you know that the person received your e-mail, when it was read, etc. Call you provider and let them walk you through it that way you will know exactly what is read, etc. Ask how to track the history of sent e-mails as it may be different on your computer.
Then, always send the ms with a tracking slip and request a signature for the extra $1.80.

In my small opinion, really interested agents will pounce on you at once UNLESS that agent is a scammer or has other motives. Having said that make sure WHO you are dealing with--check that person out--so that it will save you time, emotion, and money down the road to publication!
Don't loose sight that the agent HAS to believe that he can SELL your ms not just love or even like it because you wrote it. In short, it's a business deal after it leaves your hands.
That's my opinion and what I have learned anyway--right or wrong--that is what I now believe to be true.

Again, give it time. Good writing is just that and will not go anywhere because it wasn't read straight away.

My very best wishes I send your way!

brinkett

Elder Scrolls devotee
Registered
Reaction score
Daughter of Faulkner said:
If you want to be clever when sending an e-mail go to options and there's a way to select the option that will let you know that the person received your e-mail, when it was read, etc.

Doing this may cause a message to pop up when the receiver opens it, saying something to the effect of, "The sender has requested a receipt. Do you want to send one?" Some people find this annoying and most people click "No". I'm not sure it's a good idea.

Alphabeter

Player of the Letters
Registered
Reaction score
Something I have a problem with in dealing with emails is size. ***

Once I get all the junk out, I skim through the real letters. Anything short gets a quick reply at that point. Anything longer I flag and keep going. Some emails are realllllly long. Those are moved to a special folder.

Now if I have time, I go through the 'medium' ones and reply. Or they too go into the reply folder.

If I'm really blessed with time (HAHA), the long emails get read line-by-line and replied to the same way (makes it easier imo).

What typically happens is I get through all the shorties, a few mediums and the stuff in the folders is gone through during a special time I call "your email box is full and you need to reply". Then all the mediums and longs get addressed.

When I'm making new pals, we exchange a lot of getting-to-know-you shorties fast and furious but when the longer ones go, it seems to slow down. *** So in the case of the agent, it just may not be you, but the size of your email.

zeprosnepsid

Registered
Reaction score
Well I've pretty much given upon this agent. Although she is very well known I've already found her difficult to deal with. She was very interested and was reading everything I sent her immediately. Then when I sent her chapters she 'didn't get them'. Then when she did she said she would reply that week. She didn't. I don't mind being patient, I'm just starting to feel like I'm being jerked around. And I've asked around and other people's dealings with her (with queries and proposals, not with her as their agent) is simply not replying. I believe this will be the case for me at this point. If she didn't reply when she said she would I'm sure she's lost it or moved on without telling me.

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
Patience. Remember, agents and editors don't operate in Real Time. :Sun:

Do move on with your queries, though. And good luck!

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
Don’t get mad. Don’t annoy the agent. Be professional. Do what the others have said. Send out queries. The first agent who sees how brilliant you are is the one you want to marry. I’ve had several quick affairs with agents—a query, followed by a flurry of emails. My god, I thought this was it! I was ready to get engaged, then they get standoffish, they don’t write. What did I do? I rail, I weep. How can they treat me this way! But I never let them know how I feel. Never never never.