PDA

View Full Version : Why do they keep wrecking old classics?

Kerr
01-29-2008, 05:07 AM
I made the mistake of watching Journey To The Center Of The Earth last night. What a waste! The acting wasn't bad, and there was some beautiful photography, but who the hell wrote it? It seemed to me like sunlight directing explorers to a cave opening is getting pretty well used at this point. And the whole thing was just so...easy. The characters were predictable, and their escape, unimaginative. I guess it would be hard to top climbing into a giant tea cup to escape a giant lizard while a volcanic eruption sends you back to the top. Why not just do a remake with today's technology? :rant:

SpookyWriter
01-29-2008, 05:20 AM
Why not just do a remake with today's technology? :rant:Because it wouldn't be a classic? :Shrug:

JeanneTGC
01-29-2008, 10:00 AM
*cough* Have you read Jules Verne recently?

My husband loves him. Our daughter and I? Um...not so much.

If they were following the original text...voila! But, in Verne's defense, in his day, he was pretty foreward thinking.

Same with H.G. Wells. I've now read a lot of his works, and, by today's standards, they're really rather boring. But the original IDEAS? Those are still amazing, and, for their day, beyond amazing.

That's why I still revere the old science fiction luminaries -- because they thought of things that even now are amazing, and a hundred-plus years ago were beyond the light fantastic.

JoNightshade
01-29-2008, 10:24 AM
Verne is a bit dry. I think I'll be renting this on Netflix when it comes out, if only for Ricky. :)

Tedium
01-29-2008, 10:38 AM
They screwed up the remake of The Time Machine as well.

Sometimes I wonder what motivates the people who put out these remakes. I'm sure for some it is an opportunity to put there mark on a work they love. As for the rest, unoriginality maybe? Greed?

Personally, I would be too nervous to tinker with great ideas of the past.