PDA

View Full Version : Pet Peeves-What is yours?

jdkiggins
03-14-2005, 10:43 PM
Everyone has a pet peeve. What's yours?

I've been compiling a list since May 2002. So far everyone who has answered this question responded differently. I have a list of more than 500 different pet peeves. Care to play?

Here's a sample:

My pet peeve is watching someone's turn signal blink eternally while they continue to drive straight on the road in front of me.

Joanne

Optimus
03-14-2005, 10:52 PM
The misuse of the English language, especially in writing. Spelling and punctuation due to typos don't bother me as much as blatant ignorance.

Idiots who write "should of" rather than "should've" because they don't realize that they're actually saying a contraction of "should have." Did they even graduate elementary school? It makes my skin crawl.

Consistently confusing "than" and "then."

Morons saying their "th" as an "f" as in "troof" for "truth." And saying "axe" rather than "ask."

The intellectually bereft people who say "they" instead of "they're" and "their." As in, "They need to get they act together."

There are several more, but if I list them all I'll go crazy.

Sarita
03-14-2005, 11:08 PM
English language wise, I hate suposubly (how do you even spell that?) It's Supposedly!!! In parts of PA, they say "The grass needs cut" or "The dishes need washed." Have you ever heard of 2 little words? ... TO BE. That kills me.

I also hate the sound of Neil Diamond's voice, it makes my blood boil, but I don't think that's a pet peeve.

aka eraser
03-14-2005, 11:11 PM
Language-use nitpickers.

;)

Ok. I was kidding about that one. We had a thread going about this topic on the old board. Maybe I'll rummage around and bump it.

jdkiggins
03-14-2005, 11:19 PM
English language wise, I hate suposubly (how do you even spell that?) It's Supposedly!!! In parts of PA, they say "The grass needs cut" or "The dishes need washed." Have you ever heard of 2 little words? ... TO BE. That kills me.

I also hate the sound of Neil Diamond's voice, it makes my blood boil, but I don't think that's a pet peeve.

LOL, Saritams8. I live in PA, but I've heard it said "I need to worsh dishes."
The most hilarious to me is, "I need to red out my closet." :roll:

Joanne

Sarita
03-14-2005, 11:22 PM
The most hilarious to me is, "I need to red out my closet."

I know! What is that? Is that even a sentence? Are you painting your closet/room/car red? It's so confusing to me, so much so that I'm studying linguistics as my minor in order to understand these goofy little phrases.

jdkiggins
03-14-2005, 11:23 PM
Thanks, aka. Appreicate the bump. I'll check them out. :)

Joanne

jdkiggins
03-14-2005, 11:57 PM
I know! What is that? Is that even a sentence? Are you painting your closet/room/car red? It's so confusing to me, so much so that I'm studying linguistics as my minor in order to understand these goofy little phrases.

I have no clue why some say "red out" instead of clean out. I think it has something to do with geographic area. :roll: There is a book Pittsburgheze with many stupid phrases. I glanced through it at the library and wondered where these people came up with these words.

I don't red out my closets and I don't worsh dishes and when the grass does come up from under all this darn snow, I will mow the lawn. LOL

Joanne

SRHowen
03-14-2005, 11:57 PM
Lazy people at work who really do nothing, but claim and think they do "everything."

Shawn

Vipersniper
03-15-2005, 12:03 AM
:confused: My pet peeve is the relatives who have a family reunion in the emergency room and no one in the back has a life threatening emergency. They get in the way of the relatives who are waiting for news of someone on life support. When the child has a cold I wish these people would stay at home.

paprikapink
03-15-2005, 12:56 AM
The food thing. Maybe it's just the California food thing. No matter how healthfully you eat, or at least you think you eat, there's someone nearby who can tell you that it's just not good enough. You must drink lots of water. Okay, I do that. Oh, but not with meals! Not ice water! You are drinking spring water, aren't you? You must eat more fiber. Sure, I eat lots of fiber-rich foods. Oh, but you don't eat fruits and vegetables at the same meal do you? You may be eating too much gluten. You should use hi-gluten flour. Humans weren't meant to eat grains. Brown rice is indigestible if it's not fermented first.

Shut up and pass the ketchup.

-pkpk

biotales
03-15-2005, 01:32 AM
The food thing. Maybe it's just the California food thing. No matter how healthfully you eat, or at least you think you eat, there's someone nearby who can tell you that it's just not good enough. You must drink lots of water. Okay, I do that. Oh, but not with meals! Not ice water! You are drinking spring water, aren't you? You must eat more fiber. Sure, I eat lots of fiber-rich foods. Oh, but you don't eat fruits and vegetables at the same meal do you? You may be eating too much gluten. You should use hi-gluten flour. Humans weren't meant to eat grains. Brown rice is indigestible if it's not fermented first.

Shut up and pass the ketchup.

-pkpk
:roll: which explains why I live in TN

Cabria
03-15-2005, 01:39 AM
People with over-inflated egos.......

Optimus
03-15-2005, 01:50 AM
which explains why I live in TN
Which part? I'm from Chattanooga; lotsa family in Nashvegas.

arrowqueen
03-15-2005, 02:57 AM
Actually 'to redd up/out' is an old Scots phrase which made its way to America:

'The root of "redd" (which by itself means "to clear or clean") seems to be a combination of the Middle English and Scots dialectical word "redden" (meaning "to free or clear an area") with another Middle English word, "reden," meaning "to rescue or free from." The same tangle of roots gave us the word "rid," and is closely related to the word "ready." And none of this, by the way, has anything to do with the color "red."'

so it has a fine and ancient pedigree.

Cheers,
aq

Maryn
03-15-2005, 03:02 AM
Oh, I couldn't list my pet peeves here, or you'd all see through my friendly-person disguise to the bitter old crone underneath the happy-mask!

People who can't back up their political stance/belief with a reasoned argument or facts.

Someone who leaves a phone conversation with me to see if the call-waiting beep is somebody better.

One-upmanship on whatever complaint someone is voicing. ("My husband has cancer." "You think that's bad, my husband and my mother...")

People I do not feel close to who feel entitled to touch me affectionately (not sexually) more than very briefly.

Lousy tippers.

People who don't pay their share of the bill.

Parents who let their child misbehave in a place where an out-of-control kid spoils the experience the others paid for (movies, theatre, restaurants)--and yes, we have kids.

See? I've become the old lady who shakes her cane at the neighborhood kids whose bikes wander onto her grass!

Maryn

biotales
03-15-2005, 03:09 AM
Which part? I'm from Chattanooga; lotsa family in Nashvegas.

OPTI I live in Nashville........

ChunkyC
03-15-2005, 03:29 AM
Every time I hear the man with his finger on the button of the world's deadliest nuclear arsenal say nucular, I want to scream.

Machines that have a button labelled: "Do not press." If you're not supposed to use it, why put it there in the first place?

Reality TV. It's an oxymoron. Survivor is not reality, it's a game show. The premise of every last one of these shows has been 'invented' by the producers and writers.

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/wink.gif

Wandering Sensei
03-15-2005, 03:49 AM
I have no clue why some say "red out" instead of clean out. I think it has something to do with geographic area. :roll: There is a book Pittsburgheze with many stupid phrases. I glanced through it at the library and wondered where these people came up with these words.

I don't red out my closets and I don't worsh dishes and when the grass does come up from under all this darn snow, I will mow the lawn. LOL

Joanne

I don't worsh dishes. I have my dishworsher do it.

<g,d&RLH!>

three seven
03-15-2005, 03:53 AM
Ok, stuff that annoys and upsets me:

Tailgating.

Kids who plaster their pathetic little girly cars with grands' worth of plastic sh*t and wheels that are too big to turn without rubbing the arches and put a whacking great sub where the back seats should be and drive up and down my street with the windows down and their hats on backwards, assaulting me with their WHUMP WHUMP WHUMPing drum & bass sh*t and tin can exhausts. Yeah, F**k off.

All I got was this lousy T-shirt.

Apostrophe abuse.

People who take up two parking spaces where one would suffice.

People who hold up the fast lane of the motorway because there's a police car doing 58mph in the slow lane and they're afraid to overtake it in case they get a ticket.

People who hold up the fast lane of the motorway because they're too stupid to understand that it is the fast lane and that they therefore shouldn't be in it.

The Nokia ringtone.

My ex-wife.

DVDs with five-minute animated menus that you can't skip.

People who book me on Friday for Monday, then cancel me at 9pm Sunday.

People who withhold their number when they're calling me, and ring over and over and over again when I don't answer. Either get the message or leave one, dumb*ss.

Every single person who sneered at Burt Reynolds because they thought he had AIDS.

People who indicate after they start turning.

Cheesy, over-produced computerised pop music. Especially where a vocoder is involved.

The fact that I'm writing this and not anything constructive.

Animal cruelty.

Smoking in non-smoking areas.

Drugs.

I can't be bothered to think of any more. I'm getting twitchy.

Oh yeah... Neil Diamond abuse.

katiemac
03-15-2005, 05:01 AM
Cracking knuckles. I hate when people crack their knuckles, necks, backs...! Sometimes it's so disgusting tears automatically spring to my eyes and I feel like I want to cry... or just leave that person's sight entirely. Uncontrollable shuddering.

Even worse than cracking knuckles... when people know it freaks the crap outta you so they do it on purpose.

Eowen
03-15-2005, 05:05 AM
I've got a whole list. Actually, I've got several. These are exerpts.

Driving:

Failure to signal.

Leaving the turn signal on.

Tailgaters.

Driving real slow in the ultra-fast lane, while people behind him are going insane.

Street racing on the highway during rush hour.

Thinking you're 'kewl' because you street race on the highway during rush hour.

Grammar:

Internet phonetic spelling. 'Kewl' is not a word, no matter how many times you use it an an IM.

effect/affect - Affect is a verb. Effect is usually a noun, but can be used as a verb. It is more often used incorrectly as a verb.

Working in Tech Support:

Callers who ask "Is this tech support?" Well, if you pressed the extension for tech support, it probably is.

Callers who say "I don't know anything about computers," as an excuse for not listening to the answer to their question.

Callers who say "It doesn't work," and expect me to fix "it" with no further information.

Repeat callers who haven't learned that I will always ask them for the exact error message, and so don't write down said error message to read to me.

Your friendly local geek,

Eowen

BlueTexas
03-15-2005, 05:14 AM
I hate it when people say "You done good." You did WELL!!

Screaming children and inept parents who expect other people to stop their children from being destructive in public. Worse, I hate it when they give you that dirty look when you ignore the child and look at the parent until they do something.

People on government aid who make more money than I do, yet whine when they have to pay for something.

People who won't take a sick animal to the vet because it's too expensive. They don't deserve the animal.

The use of the word toboggan in Texas to describe a knit or wool winter cap. It's a hat, not a sled!!

three seven
03-15-2005, 05:16 AM
Oh, and queue jumpers.

Sarita
03-15-2005, 05:32 AM
Oh yeah... Neil Diamond abuse.

I knew somebody had to jump on that one!

Optimus
03-15-2005, 05:40 AM
Toboggan is only a sled if you're from the north. In the South, it's always a hat.

ChunkyC
03-15-2005, 05:55 AM
Toboggan is only a sled if you're from the north. In the South, it's always a hat.
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/confused.gif Never heard of calling headwear 'toboggan.' Larn sumptin' ev'ry day.

three seven
03-15-2005, 06:01 AM
I knew somebody had to jump on that one!
And I bet you knew it'd be me too...

Sarita
03-15-2005, 06:02 AM
And I bet you knew it'd be me too...

Who else?

BlueTexas
03-15-2005, 06:06 AM
You mean it's more widespread than the Dallas-Ft Worth area?

In any case, I reserve the right to think they're wrong and look stupefied every time someone refers to a hat as something that belongs under your butt while sliding down a snowy hill :)

rhymegirl
03-15-2005, 06:29 AM
People who don't get it. Sara, you probably know what I mean.

Optimus
03-15-2005, 06:30 AM
You mean it's more widespread than the Dallas-Ft Worth area?
Oh, heck yeah. Even though Texas isn't part of the South, it's pretty widespread down here.

Honestly, until I was in highschool, I'd never heard of a sled referred to as a toboggan. And that was only because I heard it on TV.

Sarita
03-15-2005, 06:31 AM
People who don't get it. Sara, you probably know what I mean.

I know exactly what you mean!! :)

Renee
03-15-2005, 08:42 AM
A few pet peeves of mine:

People who never use a blinker, never! And then decide to make a turn at the last seconds notice.

People who drive 35 MPH (or so it seems), but never pull over or let you by.

Those kind of people who somehow don't know they're sick until noon and then call-in to the office and then I have to cover their schedule of patients at work. *I mean you typically know first thing is the morning of you are sick or not, right?*

aka eraser
03-15-2005, 09:03 AM
Plastic garbage bags and coffee filters that are so cemented together that I can't open the bag or separate one filter from the rest.

sthrnwriter
03-15-2005, 10:37 AM
hmm I think my number one pet peeve is when someone borrows something from me and then returns it broken and doesn't offer to pay to have it repaired or replaced. Its not like i'm going to force everyone who breaks something of mine to replace it or repair it but its just courteous to offer to. When they don't, it just makes me want to force them to do it anyways.

Also I can't stand when my bro's friends call like 20 times when someone doesn't answer the phone. You would think they would get the hint that no one is home after the first couple of times but noooo. They have to call 20 times to be absolutely sure.

Galoot
03-15-2005, 11:03 AM
Vwls.

Nivvie
03-15-2005, 12:35 PM
I all, glorious honesty, to the point of too much infomation, I hate toilets and the need to use them.

Chances are most of you know the stress of sitting in traffic jam, fretting, hoping it moves before you baldder explodes.
I go to see a band, fight my way to a position where my shortness allows me to see more than the head of the person in front of me, but then, oh no, there it is again.
Also, in this weather, when all toasty in bed and snuggled down, you stir in the night, and would like to go back to sleep rather than venture out into the cold, hard air, but no, you body says you must get up.
I hate it when you've been driving for hours and you finally see a service station, charge in just in time and find toilets that probably contain enough pathogens to wipe out a small town.
And no paper.
And I wish I could just catheterise myself and be done with it.

Optimus
03-15-2005, 12:58 PM
Well, in that case, I find diarrhea pretty inconvenient. Especially when it comes out like pudding.

And painful, sometimes.

reph
03-15-2005, 01:54 PM
People on message boards who quote the previous person's 15-inch post in full when they want to reply to one sentence of it. Some of us have tin-cans-and-string Internet connections. Be kind. Delete what you don't use.

(Note about some peeves a couple of pages back: "The car needs washed" sounds wrong to me too, but it's a perfectly acceptable regional usage in parts of the U.S.)

BlueTexas
03-15-2005, 05:47 PM
Oh, heck yeah. Even though Texas isn't part of the South, it's pretty widespread down here.

Honestly, until I was in highschool, I'd never heard of a sled referred to as a toboggan. And that was only because I heard it on TV.

Where in the South are you? I lived in Atlanta for a few years, and never noticed it there. But then, maybe I wasn't paying attention.

Kida Adelyne
03-15-2005, 07:22 PM
-People who say pot does nothing wrong with thier body, but If I see them high they have the mental capacity of roadkill.
-Big box stores
-People who say free trade zones are a good thing for third world countries.
-People who misquote movies or books
-Not useing turning signals
-Teachers who explain somthing to you, you tell them you don't get it, and they blame it on you not doing your homework, even if what you are learning is entirely new.
-People who tell our teacher they can't go to band because of homework. I get just as much homework as them and I have a billion after school activities.
-Teens who smoke
-Hearing how piss drunk my peers got on the weekend.

three seven
03-15-2005, 07:47 PM
-People who say pot does nothing wrong with thier body, but If I see them high they have the mental capacity of roadkill.
That's nothing to do with their body though, is it?

Sarita
03-15-2005, 07:49 PM
People who try to slyly correct my use of carburetor in a 10 word post. :D

Now how am I supposed to get out of this one?

three seven
03-15-2005, 07:52 PM
I dunno... historical research?

Anyway, I did nothing of the sort. And aliens aren't always right.

Shiny_Penguin
03-15-2005, 08:00 PM
LOL, Saritams8. I live in PA, but I've heard it said "I need to worsh dishes."Joanne

I'm in PA too, but I don't worsh things. My dad has been known to warsh the winders, though.

I also can't stand it when people mispronounce the "j" in fajitas.

And those people that don't pick up after their dogs!

three seven
03-15-2005, 08:19 PM
I also can't stand it when people mispronounce the "j" in fajitas.

Yeah, and the 'll' in 'tortilla.'

ZaZ
03-15-2005, 08:24 PM
Hairy soap.

Sarita
03-15-2005, 08:27 PM
Hairy soap.

That's not so much a pet peeve as it is a puker. Gross!!

Kida Adelyne
03-15-2005, 08:31 PM
That's nothing to do with their body though, is it?
I was assuming the brain is part of the body.

Rose
03-15-2005, 08:40 PM
My pet peeve is the word "problemo," as in "No problemo."

IT'S PROBLEMA! IT ENDS WITH WITH AN "A" !
¿Comprende?

BradyH1861
03-15-2005, 09:12 PM
My Pet Peeves
(in no particular order)

1. Rap Music
2. People who talk on cell phones in resteraunts (loudly)
3. People who talk on cell phones in the movie theater (or don't turn them off)
4. Rap Music
5. Screaming children on airplanes
6. Airplanes in general
7. Rap Music
8. The elderly couple driving 20 mph in front of you in a no passing zone
9. Rap Music

And my biggest peeve:

Those who do not yield to emergency vehicles (and there a lots of those people out there)

Brady H.

Galoot
03-15-2005, 09:37 PM
Having to wait almost 40 years to learn that wearing a mohair suit with electric boots is considered wrong. :(

paprikapink
03-15-2005, 10:17 PM
Thought of another one...

Perfectly lovely women who waste their breath complaining about how "fat" they are. Double peeved if they do it in front of their children, especially daughters. Triple peeved if they do it in front of my daughters.

Note to Brady...I love rap music! This is especially nutz if you happen to know that I am a 45-year-old white suburban housewife. I don't consider it appropriate for young children, so I've lost touch with it in the 10 years since I became a mom, but I've found some of the lyrics to be blisteringly expressive of a reality that doesn't usually get any commercial venue at all. And I think the mysogyny in rap music is a) about the same as in rock music, just less veiled (Remember the Beatles, "Better run for your life if you can, little girl...") and b) important for girls to hear so they know what they are really facing.

-pkpk

reph
03-15-2005, 11:34 PM
Those who do not yield to emergency vehicles (and there a lots of those people out there)
Ooh, that's a big one. My husband thinks nonyielders and red-light runners rule the roads because schools have dropped driver education. I don't know. Maybe there's something about renewing a driver's license that removes a little piece of your brain every time. It's the camera. It's gotta be the camera! Having an ugly picture taken steals your smarts!

three seven
03-15-2005, 11:51 PM

Perfectly lovely women who waste their breath complaining about how "fat" they are.
Oh man, I can't believe that was the first thing that came to my mind and I forgot to post it! I totally agree.

Sarita
03-16-2005, 12:07 AM
Dopes I work with making me do rework, since they don't know ANYTHING!

KellyS.
03-16-2005, 12:23 AM
I hate when people say, "You was?"

For instance:

I was at the concert last night.
You was?

arrrgghhhhh

You were? You were? You were?

ZaZ
03-16-2005, 12:28 AM
Chicks that don't want to put out until they find out you're attached.

"Gee Zaz, I didn't know you had a girlfriend. Check out my tits!"

*flash*

paprikapink
03-16-2005, 12:50 AM
Oh, I nearly forgot to mention guys who are "attached" relentlessly looking to attach to something else at the same time.

:crazy:

-pkpk

Sarita
03-16-2005, 12:50 AM
"Gee Zaz, I didn't know you had a girlfriend. Check out my tits!"

*flash*

I bet there are a lot of men out there who would love to have that pet peeve ;)

Compton
03-16-2005, 12:54 AM
My personal curse: if I am walking barefoot somewhere, I will step on EVERYTHING painful in the area. In the notable past this has included: nails, pins, tacks, metal shrapnel of all sorts, pieces of broken plates or cups (ceramic is really hard to get out with tweezers), glass shards (also hard to get out), some form of stinging insect nest (I'm not sure which ones enjoy digging underground nests -- hornets, wasps, yellow-jackets, bees...? maybe someone knows), pointed rocks/sticks/animal bones (what I believe was a jagged deer femur, hidden in tall grass), a jelly-fish that was washed ashore; in my defense I was probably around 7 at the time, and I thought it looked like something fun to step on.

What takes the proverbial cake, though, was the tent spike that a previous camper had left. Conveniently stuck upside-down in the grass. Yes, I stepped on it.

Maybe I should learn to watch where I'm going, or wear shoes more often, but then again that would be a moderately intelligent solution.

jackie106
03-16-2005, 01:02 AM
Women who are obviously pregnant and smoking.

People who shout into their cell phones--especially when the conversation gets really personal.

Selfish jerks who aren't handicapped and park in handicapped parking spaces.

ChunkyC
03-16-2005, 01:17 AM
Oooh, that's a biggie! We should be allowed to help them qualify to park there by busting their kneecaps with a tire iron. I'm not suggesting anyone actually do that. Not at all.

Related to that are the ignoramuses who dump their rustbuckets in the fire lane at the supermarket when there are dozens of empty parking spaces less than 50 feet away. I can't think of anything lazier, except maybe the guy who used to live across the street from me who would drive his jockmobile convertible to the mailbox ... which was less than a block away. What a stud.

Wandering Sensei
03-16-2005, 01:48 AM
People who give me really stupid advice, then yell at me and call me names when I decide against following it. When I give people suggestions, whether solicited or not, I'm happy when it works for them, but I fully realize that, not knowing the whole situation, I may be off the mark.

Wandering Sensei
03-16-2005, 01:51 AM
My parents came to visit me once and decided they wanted to go to dinner at the restaurant across the street from their hotel. It would have taken five minutes to walk there, but they decided, no, they had to take the car and drive across the street to the restaurant.

Is that lame or what? And my mother calls ME lazy. (After all, I only put in 5 or 6 hours at the dojo every week.)

Maryn
03-16-2005, 01:54 AM
Having to wait almost 40 years to learn that wearing a mohair suit with electric boots is considered wrong. :(That's why I never go anywhere with you. It's just too, too humiliating. Sheesh!

Maryn

Wandering Sensei
03-16-2005, 01:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by paprikapink

Perfectly lovely women who waste their breath complaining about how "fat" they are.

Oh, yeah. I'm on WW because quite frankly I'm overweight. But it makes me grind my teeth to hear these size 10s on WW complain because they can't fit into a size 6 so obviously they have all this weight they have to lose. (And three pounds a week isn't fast enough for them.)

Makes me want to sit on them and squash them into jelly!

Nivvie
03-16-2005, 02:00 AM

Another reason why I love IKEA!
The one near me must have someone totally dedicated to checking disabled badges on cars. Every few minutes 'Will the owner of registration number blah blah blah please remove your vehicle, you are parked in a disabled space'.
One day people will learn.
Nah, who am I kidding?

JoeEkaitis
03-16-2005, 02:21 AM
Parents raising the next generation of inconsiderate, discourteous jerks.

A girl and boy, about 9 and 8 years old, threaded their way around me in the checkout line at a grocery store.

"We were ahead of you but we forgot something," Little Miss Manners stated as she dropped her swag on the belt. The cashier quickly scanned their items before I could even get off a retort. The two young yuppie scum in training quickly retreated to a Ford Excursion idling near the clearly marked "FIRE LANE -- NO PARKING" red curb.

three seven
03-16-2005, 02:32 AM
My pet peeve is the word "problemo," as in "No problemo."

IT'S PROBLEMA! IT ENDS WITH WITH AN "A" !
¿Comprende?

The correct translation is in fact no hay problema.

arrowqueen
03-16-2005, 02:40 AM
I second, third and fourth the 'parking in a disabled car space' one. I trudged quarter of a mile across the car park in the pouring rain, while pushing a pram - only to arrive at the disabled space I'd avoided, just in time to see some a*seh*le in a sports car draw into it and leapt out, wearing shorts and carrying his sports bag and squash raquet.

:Soapbox:

aq

three seven
03-16-2005, 02:41 AM
Of course, since the signs don't actually say 'Physically Disabled Parking,' you could argue that intellectual cripples have a right to use the spaces too...

Wandering Sensei
03-16-2005, 02:44 AM
A few pet peeves of mine:

People who never use a blinker, never! And then decide to make a turn at the last seconds notice.

People who drive 35 MPH (or so it seems), but never pull over or let you by.

Those kind of people who somehow don't know they're sick until noon and then call-in to the office and then I have to cover their schedule of patients at work. *I mean you typically know first thing is the morning of you are sick or not, right?*

Well, to give this its due, sometimes people are so sick they cannot leave the bathroom for hours. Or sometimes when they do leave, they lurch back to bed and fall asleep.

arrowqueen
03-16-2005, 02:45 AM
...and people who walk through the door, you've politely held open, without either a glance or a 'thank you'.

JoeEkaitis
03-16-2005, 02:57 AM
...and people who walk through the door, you've politely held open, without either a glance or a 'thank you'.

Or, the woman who brushes past and acknowledges the gesture with "My arm's not broken, a**hole."

reph
03-16-2005, 03:03 AM
Those must be the same people who think the siren blaring from an emergency vehicle approaching from behind is a signal announcing an invitation to race.

Another one of mine: people who murder somebody, perhaps their baby, and say God told them to do it.

But some of these complaints go beyond mere peeves.

Galoot
03-16-2005, 03:18 AM
My neighbor's 19-year-old well built twins and their propensity toward nude sunbathing and frolicking in the sprinkler. I hate those guys.

Wandering Sensei
03-16-2005, 03:47 AM
Galoot, can I set up a tent in your backyard? I can bring my own binoculars.

Optimus
03-16-2005, 03:55 AM
My neighbor's 19-year-old well built twins and their propensity toward nude sunbathing and frolicking in the sprinkler. I hate those guys.
See, that'd piss me off, too. I'm picturing naked Nelson running through the sprinklers singing "After the Rain."

Just disturbing.

I'd love it if the 19-year-old, well-built twins were girls, though.

BlueTexas
03-16-2005, 04:20 AM
My personal curse: if I am walking barefoot somewhere, I will step on EVERYTHING painful in the area. In the notable past this has included: nails, pins, tacks, metal shrapnel of all sorts, pieces of broken plates or cups (ceramic is really hard to get out with tweezers), glass shards (also hard to get out), some form of stinging insect nest (I'm not sure which ones enjoy digging underground nests -- hornets, wasps, yellow-jackets, bees...? maybe someone knows),

I think it's wasps. I tried to dig a firepit in an underground nest once. After I was stung about 53 times about the head and shoulders I learned to not dig firepits.

I've also done the exacto-knife and tweezer surgery to remove glass from my feet. I wear shoes all the time now because of that one.

skyi001
03-16-2005, 05:09 AM
My pet peeve would have to be the fact that nowadays at the grocery store every customer is expected to bag their own groceries. I don't know when that became the "norm" but it really bugs me! When I grew up in Chicago there used to be a store (don't remember the name) where you brought your own bags and bagged your own goods...but the prices reflected that. Now, every cashier gives you the rolling eyes if you don't start pitching in. Grrrrr!

three seven
03-16-2005, 05:12 AM
My pet peeve would have to be the fact that nowadays at the grocery store every customer is expected to bag their own groceries. I don't know when that became the "norm" but it really bugs me!
I'm a little bit worried that you might actually be serious.

BlueTexas
03-16-2005, 05:42 AM
I'm a little bit worried that you might actually be serious.

If she is, well, she must have an easier life than most. I bag my groceries to get the heck out of the store and away from the whiny children faster. I go into hyper bag mode when I see the cashier sneeze into her own hand and then touch my oranges...

three seven
03-16-2005, 05:53 AM
:roll:

jdkiggins
03-16-2005, 06:06 AM
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/emoteClap.gif My list is getting larger by the post and I'm thrilled that out of all the posts here, only three were repeats of answers I'd received before. This is great, everyone. Thanks for participating and keep them coming. http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/EmoteHug2.gif

Joanne

Galoot
03-16-2005, 06:27 AM
I, too, hate stores that want you to bag your own. I went there to shop, not pack. Worse, they charge extra for the bags. What, saving on labor costs for a bagger isn't enough, you have to charge me a nickel a bag on top of it? At least here it isn't yet the norm. Only one major chain does that, the rest still bag for you. When I can afford to, I avoid the do-it-yourself store.

New peeve for the list: That skrrrrrrrich sound the "sharpener" on a knife block makes when you draw the blade through it. Like nails on a chalk board. I'd rather spend ten minutes working with a whetstone than listen to that noise.

Optimus
03-16-2005, 06:38 AM
Another pet peeve of mine is "that guy." You know, the guy who always has to interject his lame opinion, or butt into someone else's conversation by adding some totally useless trivia or his unwanted opinion or how he "sees it." He's also the guy who, in class or at work, always raises his hand (or sucks up to the boss) to say something totally stupid and unrelated to the topic at hand, just to show off the smarts he thinks he has and, to top it off, he never realizes that he's "edifying" the rest of us with information that we already know and have probably known longer than he. You know..."that guy."

Example: In one of my undergrad classes, we were talking about Descartes' theory of dualism and the mind/body problem. As my teacher is blabbering on about the mind and body being separate things, blah blah blah, "that guy" raises his hand in the middle of it and smugly says, "Excuse me, but isn't Descartes the one who said 'I think, therefore I am'?" He then put his hand down and looked around at the rest of us with that, "Oh yeah, I'm so smart" look on his face. The teacher stopped, stared blankly at him and said, "Yes...but that has absolutely nothing to do with what we're discussing," and then continued with her lecture.

It was funny.

But, "that guy," no matter what the situation, is a pet peeve of mine.

That skrrrrrrrich sound the "sharpener" on a knife block makes when you draw the blade through it. Like nails on a chalk board. I'd rather spend ten minutes working with a whetstone than listen to that noise.
Okay, so I'm gonna be "that guy" right now. When you "feel" a noise, it's a phenomenon called "synesthesia," where two different sensory systems are reacting to the same stimulus. Like when you're cracked out and you can "smell" or "hear" color.

Anyway, that was my "that guy" useless trivia for the day.

:tongue

Vipersniper
03-16-2005, 07:01 AM
:banana: My neighbor used to say "you know" and no I did not know.
People who park in handicap places that are not handicapped. I get on the intercom and say the person that is parked in the handicap parking space is having their car towed in five minutes by the police and I called them.

Going to a checkout at the fast food place and having the girl say. "Is that all?" and you have bought lunch for 30 school children.

Or telephones sales people that will not hang up until after you have told them no 400 times. And you disconnect but they call you back.

Cops who put their foot on your bumper to write you a ticket.

Getting stuck in an elevator with some guy with gas that gags you.

Galoot
03-16-2005, 07:04 AM
Anyway, that was my "that guy" useless trivia for the day.

:tongueThank you, Cliff Claven! ;)

Did you happen to see the recent NewScientist story about the woman who tastes music and thinks Mozart is extra creamy? Neat stuff.

I think it'd be interesting to have the touch and smell wires crossed. "Oh, baby, do it like that. Yeah, that's right, touch my musty attic. Yes! Oh, like that. Oh, I'm going to patchouli! Yes! Yes! Wet doggie, wet doggie!!"

Another peeve: Galoots who drag interesting threads off topic. Where were we again?

paprikapink
03-16-2005, 07:51 AM
Pettiest peeve: people who put Decartes before the horse.

:gone:

-pkpk

BlueTexas
03-16-2005, 08:36 AM
I found I have a new peeve today: tele-marketers with no brains. I answered a call at work today for Dr. John Doe O.D. O.D. is the designation after the name, like M.D. So the caller says, "Is Dr. Od in?"

The scary part is that someone hired this person, so someone out there isn't as smart as the caller.

KellyS.
03-16-2005, 10:20 AM
People who make no attempt to get their checkbook out until the last grocery item is rang up.

No baggers available in a store that employs them. I pay higher prices so that my groceries can be bagged and yet, they are nowhere to be found.

People who decide to have a reunion in the middle of a grocery aisle and pretend they don't see you trying to get by.

Stores that have their music set at headache level.

Register roaches-people who will run you down checking to see which lane is moving the fastest.

When I return a phone call and the caller wants to know where I was at the time of their initial call and what I was doing.

Other people's kids who want you to tell them why if you say your kid can't play at the moment.

Ok, think I'm done for the moment. :Ssh:

Vipersniper
03-16-2005, 10:20 AM
:Guitar: I like that last one about the doctor.

Or when someone says. "Are you done yet?"

Reminds me of when I was a wee tot and momma put me on a cold, cold pot and made me wee wee whether I had to or not. Are you done yet?

Some holding up the line when you have to off load badly and then getting in and finding out that someone took the last toilet paper left.

People who say that their dog doesn't bite.

reph
03-16-2005, 10:48 AM
People don't want to bag their groceries? Really? I always do mine. It beats standing there doing nothing, and I get out of the store faster. So do the customers behind me in line. I wish the customers ahead of me would bag.

Grocery checkers get carpal-tunnel injuries by using their arms for the same tasks all day, all week, all year. Filling a bag with groceries once in a while puts me at no risk of that at all. When the checker already has a brace on her arm and you let her do your bagging anyway, don't you feel a little guilty?

Furthermore, I use a permanent bag that I made of nylon fabric. Over time, it saves using hundreds of disposable bags, and it's more comfortable to carry. Its wide, padded handles don't cut into my fingers like those plastic ones. That's a blessing because I walk several blocks home.

Reminds me of another pet peeve: people who drive everywhere.

If there's anyone here I haven't offended yet, let me know and I'll try harder.

skyi001
03-16-2005, 10:58 AM
It's not that I mind bagging my own groceries, I mind being expected to bag them, especially when the teenager behind the counter is too busy talking to her friends to be bothered. I've actually gotten a few eye-rolls when they see I'm not going to do it... it's a peeve.

reph
03-16-2005, 12:03 PM
When I return a phone call and the caller wants to know where I was at the time of their initial call and what I was doing.
Does anyone ask those questions besides mothers? Before there were answering machines, if my mother phoned and got no answer, she was sure to ask why the next time we talked. I took years to realize that when I returned a call from anyone other than her, I didn't have to begin with a full accounting of my previous whereabouts.

Nivvie
03-16-2005, 12:07 PM
:banana: My neighbor used to say "you know" and no I did not know.

Yes indeed, they're like vocal ticks. I did a 12 hour nightshift with a girl the other week who said 'Yeah' at the end of ever sentence.

'"So, I went to the shop, yeah, and there was this bloke, yeah?"

Then another woman came in and did the same thing but with 'right' instead.
It was like working in a cuckoo clock.

Were these real questions I had to answer?

I found myself nodding continuously.

Oh! And people that say "So I turned around and said....and he turned around and asked..."
I have visions of people permanently spinning while they speak.

sthrnwriter
03-16-2005, 12:52 PM
Does anyone ask those questions besides mothers? Before there were answering machines, if my mother phoned and got no answer, she was sure to ask why the next time we talked. I took years to realize that when I returned a call from anyone other than her, I didn't have to begin with a full accounting of my previous whereabouts.
yeah i know of someone other than my mom that does that. One of my ex-bfs did. If I wasn't home, he needed to know where i was. That reminds me of another pet peeve. Someone (particularlly someone of the opposite sex) who has to know what i'm thinking almost every min of the day. My ex did that too. Everytime we did talk on the phone he would ask me at least 10 times "What's on your mind?" And then get upset if I said "nothing" or wouldn't tell him. It just bugged me which is why i'm not with him anymore.

Optimus
03-16-2005, 02:21 PM
Okay, I remembered some more:

People who say, "...run the gambit" instead of "gamut."

People who say, "...road to hoe" instead of "row to hoe."

I overheard a redneck guy once say, while talking about a party at his house, "...Everybody just started conjugating in the front yard."

And, even though I know he meant "congregating, it still made me envision that they either all whipped out their notepads and started conjugating verbs or that people just mysteriously started fusing together, like soap bubbles in the sink.

Kida Adelyne
03-16-2005, 05:02 PM
I, too, hate stores that want you to bag your own. I went there to shop, not pack. Worse, they charge extra for the bags. What, saving on labor costs for a bagger isn't enough, you have to charge me a nickel a bag on top of it? At least here it isn't yet the norm. Only one major chain does that, the rest still bag for you. When I can afford to, I avoid the do-it-yourself store.

They charge for bags now in order to save plastic, and the environment, not just money. It gives people reasons to bring bags to carry groceries, or in the case of my local store, use the shipping boxes they leave for reuse.

BlueTexas
03-16-2005, 05:36 PM
I overheard a redneck guy once say, while talking about a party at his house, "...Everybody just started conjugating in the front yard."

And, even though I know he meant "congregating, it still made me envision that they either all whipped out their notepads and started conjugating verbs or that people just mysteriously started fusing together, like soap bubbles in the sink.

In the context of a party, my mind went to the definition of conjugal--this is how m-w.com defined what I was thinking:

Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle French or Latin; Middle French, from Latin conjugalis, from conjug-, conjux husband, wife, from conjungere to join, unite in marriage
: of or relating to the married state or to married persons and their relations.

Now that's a redneck party!

Sarita
03-16-2005, 05:38 PM
of or relating to the married state or to married persons and their relations!

That's what I was thinking!

ZaZ
03-16-2005, 11:20 PM
Oh, I nearly forgot to mention guys who are "attached" relentlessly looking to attach to something else at the same time.

:crazy:

-pkpk

Ooh, I implied that didn't I?
Well, for the record...I wasn't...you know...it isn't like I'd...I'm just sayin'...
"Bartender!"

Wandering Sensei
03-16-2005, 11:25 PM
Another pet peeve: people who spit on the street, usually men. It's disgusting. I don't care if you pluck it out of your nose, sneeze it into your hand, or hark it onto the street. I don't want to see it! A lot of men apparently think that this makes them look macho or something. Yeah, about as macho as underarm odor or leftover food in your beard. Yech!

ZaZ
03-16-2005, 11:29 PM
If you've got lung butter, I say spit it out. Maybe find a gutter or do it when nobody is looking but man, sometimes in traffic when that arseholio has been tailing you for over a mile it's nice to open the sunroof, use the wind, punch the gas and let fly a slimy chunk of yellow-brown mucus and see the look on his face in the rearview mirror as it splatters like an adhesive egg to his windshield just as you punch to accelerate and make a three lane change hitting an exit he'll never be able to reach.

Spitting. Good times. Good times.

Wandering Sensei
03-16-2005, 11:34 PM
Eeyyyyecccgghhhh! Like, have you ever heard of kleenexes? (Kleenices?) I've more sympathy for people who vomit in public. It's just as disgusting, but it you're sick you really can't help it.

Beard shampoo and Right Guard might be in order there, too.

Now I remember why I live with my cats. They're cleaner. And hairballs are less disgusting.

BlueTexas
03-16-2005, 11:49 PM
Now I remember why I live with my cats. They're cleaner. And hairballs are less disgusting.

I second that. Hairballs are much more pleasant than human waste that the human can't be bothered to dispose of properly! When a cat pukes on the floor, it really isn't aware that the toilet is the proper place. When people do nasty things in public, they know better. Bad humans!

ZaZ
03-17-2005, 12:02 AM
I've recently spent five days with two cats and it's been all I can do to not kick them each about fifteen feet. Annoying little bastards. I'll take a fat guy hockin' up a loogie while walking in front of me over some inbred calico with hairballs and vomit.

Wandering Sensei
03-17-2005, 01:32 AM
Cats are almost never inbred. The gene pool is too large for that to happen.

And my cats treat me better than most men in my life have. They don't steal the covers. They like to snuggle. They're much better conversationalists. And they're much cleaner.

What were we talking about? Oh, yeah. Pet peeves.

Pet peeve #whatever: People who hate cats.

One of my WIPs is about a criminal who starts out abusing and killing cats and then ups the ante to start killing their owners. He gets his comeuppance. Oh, yeah.

ChunkyC
03-17-2005, 01:51 AM
Oh! And people that say "So I turned around and said....and he turned around and asked..."
I have visions of people permanently spinning while they speak.
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/Emoterofl5.gif

People who ride their bikes in the middle of the street and then give you the finger when you beep your horn to get them to move over to the side so you can pass by without risking driving head on into a truck in the other lane.

Guys who wear bike shorts even when they're not riding their bike.

People driving Hummers who suddenly veer into my lane, causing me to need a change of underwear, so they can avoid the pothole on their side which is barely larger than one of the lugnuts holding the 42 inch tires on their "off road vehicle."

People who park Hummers in the spot marked "For Small Vehicles Only."

Trucks with bumpers like steel girders mounted at my eye level that insist on tailgating. See "Hummers."

Wandering Sensei
03-17-2005, 02:06 AM
'nuther pet peeve. People who refer to "pregnant persons." It's really not politically incorrect to say pregnant women.

Also, people who walk up to fat women and say, "oh, how wonderful! When's your baby due?" If that happens to me, we're talking jump spinning reverse crescent kick upside the head.

Galoot
03-17-2005, 02:19 AM
Another pet peeve: people who spit on the street, usually men.Are you saying it only bothers you when men do this? Does feminine spit have rose petals and glitter in it? Though there was a time when it was almost unthinkable, now I see at least as many young women hawwwwwwwkkk-ptooing as young men.

Hey, spitters. Is it that you have mucus and want us to know? Yay. Let's hear it for good old wet organic life. How about you cover a single nostril and blow really hard through the other so we get the point. Woo.

Whatever your gender, spitting's probably one of the least attractive things you can do. It's only one step away from eating something pulled from your nose.

(ZaZ: Nothing personal. I'm sure yours is very nice mucus. Though you didn't mention anything about glitter, it probably smells good. Like lavender.)

BlueTexas
03-17-2005, 02:53 AM

Guys who wear bike shorts even when they're not riding their bike.

This reminds me of another peeve: Spandex should be worm by people with a 20 inch waist and truly no one else. Just because they make it in your size doesn't mean you should wear it!

And bellyshirts worm by women who have bellies larger than their shirts. Ugh. It's not attractive just because you can squeeze yourself into it. Do they not know they would look better without their fat hanging out?

And no, I do not have a 20 inch waist.

Wandering Sensei
03-17-2005, 03:09 AM
Are you saying it only bothers you when men do this? Does feminine spit have rose petals and glitter in it? Though there was a time when it was almost unthinkable, now I see at least as many young women hawwwwwwwkkk-ptooing as young men.

Hey, spitters. Is it that you have mucus and want us to know? Yay. Let's hear it for good old wet organic life. How about you cover a single nostril and blow really hard through the other so we get the point. Woo.

Whatever your gender, spitting's probably one of the least attractive things you can do. It's only one step away from eating something pulled from your nose.

(ZaZ: Nothing personal. I'm sure yours is very nice mucus. Though you didn't mention anything about glitter, it probably smells good. Like lavender.)

I said "usually men." For every woman I see spitting, I probably see 10 or 20 men do it. No, it doesn't look very macho or cool when women do it, either.

And to respond to another post with another of my pet peeves: women who wear those low-rise pants and skirts who are built more like Rosie O'Donnel than Kate Moss. I'm overweight myself, and overweight women can be just as intelligent, compassionate, and successful as those in a healthy weight range. But I still don't want to see the fat hanging over your waistband. (I also don't want to see a guy's fat hanging over his waistband. If it jiggles, no it isn't muscle. And I know the difference between a keg and a six-pack.) And I don't care who you are, I don't want to see your butt crack.

I remember passing a station on the train and seeing a woman on a bench on the lower level wearing low-rise pants. She was in her thirties, probably, and a bit pudgy, not bad. But from the train I could see her butt crack. I was embarrassed for her. Did she not realize it? Did she honestly think it was sexy?

three seven
03-17-2005, 03:13 AM
Another one: People who can't post their Idol auditions in the right sodding place.

Wandering Sensei
03-17-2005, 03:27 AM
ANOTHER pet peeve. I'm in another online group. Several of us are writers, although it's not a writer's group per se. I mention that I'm a writer, and I've done x and y writing. Someone else says that she's an aspiring writer and has written a little on a novel/short story/poem/whatever. Everyone ignores the fact that I said I'm a writer and dotes all over her for being wonderfully creative and impressive and talented, etc.

Like, hello? Excuse me? I'm here. I exist. It wasn't just the sound of the wind.

Ticks me off. I think I should just get a tee shirt that says WRITER! on it in big letters and wear that everywhere. :Headbang:

mistri
03-17-2005, 03:51 AM
I get annoyed by everything - even stuff I do myself.

I'm really noise sensitive. I hate knuckles cracking, tapping, rustling bags, whistling and so on. Yet I'm allergic to everything and sneeze all the time, no doubt annoying those around me in a similar way.

I hate people who walk too slow. I hate people who can't turn key tones off their mobiles and play with them on public transport. I hate public transport. I hate chewing gum. I hate being corrected when I pronounce things wrong (I always do with unfamiliar words).

OK, maybe hate's a strong word, but all of the above fit into a pet peeves category, at the very least.

jdkiggins
03-17-2005, 03:53 AM
Like, hello? Excuse me? I'm here. I exist.

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/EmoteHug2.gif Stand up and be heard, WS. We know you're here and you have a great sense of humor.

Joanne

tjwriter
03-17-2005, 04:21 AM
People that can't use the lump 2 feet above their a**

Don't ask. Stupid teenage men. *continues mumbling in front of the computer.

BlueTexas
03-17-2005, 04:24 AM
WRITER![/b] on it in big letters and wear that everywhere. :Headbang:

Sometimes people just plain suck. There's no other way to put it.

Vipersniper
03-17-2005, 05:30 AM
:crazy: Speaking of being a writer here is one for you on that subject. You tell them that you wrote a book. They get a dumb look and quip.
"YOU wrote a book how did you do that."
Or they say what is it about before I buy it? Ding ding.
Or they ask how they can get it at a discount and not pay shipping and handling while looking at you to give them a copy of your book.
But what is a real pet peeve of mine on writing is the one upp manship some dipstick that has no clue says this. Oh I wrote a book one time that was so good and it was all about the same subject that you just told her you wrote one on.
The same person says that when they find your book at a yard sale for a quarter then they will get you to autograph it.

I say to them you are my next character in my new crime story about an author that tortures his character by feeding them all the reject letters slowly until they get stopped up and can't take a ##%^ before you kill them off.

sthrnwriter
03-17-2005, 07:29 AM
I say to them you are my next character in my new crime story about an author that tortures his character by feeding them all the reject letters slowly until they get stopped up and can't take a ##%^ before you kill them off.

Oh I like that one. :roll:

Optimus
03-17-2005, 09:08 AM
Also, people who walk up to fat women and say, "oh, how wonderful! When's your baby due?" If that happens to me, we're talking jump spinning reverse crescent kick upside the head.
Not that I'd say that to a fat woman, but if I did I wouldn't be scared of any spining reverse crescent kicks. If a fat woman could do that, I imagine that she'd be in good enough shape that she wouldn't be fat in the first place.

reph
03-17-2005, 10:19 AM
Group members who criticize your unpaid work without offering to help.

Group members who criticize your unpaid work and offer to help, but they aren't people the volunteers who hold everything together would trust with any responsibility.

Wandering Sensei
03-17-2005, 10:36 AM
Not that I'd say that to a fat woman, but if I did I wouldn't be scared of any spining reverse crescent kicks. If a fat woman could do that, I imagine that she'd be in good enough shape that she wouldn't be fat in the first place.

Excuse me, but I was talking about MYSELF! And yes, I CAN do martial arts!

Optimus
03-17-2005, 10:39 AM
Me too. But, I've yet to see many skinny people, much less someone overweight, do a reverse spinning crescent kick.

They are pretty easy to block, though.

skyi001
03-17-2005, 11:28 AM
Ugh. My boss is one of those people. She'll say "nip it in the butt" instead of "bud"... it's one of her favorites. Or "verbilage" instead of "verbiage". There are a ton of others. Office meetings are quite comical, to say the least.

And my sister...I mean, I love her, but she is constantly using big words just to sound educated and uses them totally out of context. When I called her on it, she claimed it didn't matter because her friends wouldn't know the difference. :Wha:

Am I too easily peeved, I wonder?

William Haskins
03-17-2005, 11:31 AM
i don't know if this counts, but i'm sick and tired of being molested by aliens.

sthrnwriter
03-17-2005, 12:41 PM
i don't know if this counts, but i'm sick and tired of being molested by aliens.

:ROFL: Gotta totally hate when that happens. Who do you file a complaint to about that? Do we need to contact Captain Picard about this matter?

Nivvie
03-17-2005, 01:41 PM
People who say they are writer, but never actually write anything.

Although, they come second to people that don't write but say they are going to. Who assume it's easy.

I believe it was George bernard Shaw who was once talking to a surgeon at a party who said something along the lines of 'I'm going to write when I retire', and George said 'I'm going to operate.'

I told my cousin I wrote a book.
'I could do that.' she said.
Well then why the hell haven't you!?

Optimus
03-17-2005, 05:27 PM

Hmm...my mask's obviously more realistic than I thought.

BlueTexas
03-17-2005, 05:51 PM
And my sister...I mean, I love her, but she is constantly using big words just to sound educated and uses them totally out of context. When I called her on it, she claimed it didn't matter because her friends wouldn't know the difference. :Wha:

Am I too easily peeved, I wonder?

That one's right up there on my list, too. It's right next to people who use the phrase 'if not' just to sound smarter. As in "My new career as a dishwasher will make me lots of money, if not more than that."

You know what peeves me this morning? Un-punctuated, un-capitalized gramatically ridiculous emails that begin with "Sorry about the spelling mistakes, I'm illiterate today." With mistakes misspelt. How lazy do you have to be to think running a spell check is too much effort?

Just so you know I'm not the grammar police, here's a snippet from said email from an old friend I'd not heard from in years.

ya know its cool u r into this stuff cause everyone says i am nuts.but i think this place is haunted or something is going on cause things arent right here sometimes. i took this pic of alyssa that didnt turn out right. it was on a digital camera i just got and the other pics i took right before and right after didnt turn out like this. an hour after i took the shots i put them on the computer i seen it, but the image in the camera screen wasnt like that nor the preview image. wierd.

Maryn
03-17-2005, 08:15 PM
Not that I'd say that to a fat woman, but if I did I wouldn't be scared of any spining reverse crescent kicks. If a fat woman could do that, I imagine that she'd be in good enough shape that she wouldn't be fat in the first place.Nonsense. (Geez, I'm so close to geezer-dom I was tempted to say 'tut-tut'!) I'm older and lazier now, but in years gone by I was both overweight and extremely fit, flexible, and agile. Fat and fit are not mutually exclusive.

Maryn

rhymegirl
03-17-2005, 08:33 PM
Here's an interesting one.

Last Saturday I went shopping for some new jeans. Mind you, I hadn't bought any for quite a while since I like the feel of the old, worn ones. But I'm afraid the old worn ones were in pretty bad shape.

So I searched the aisles of a department store for some new jeans. And what do you know-- Every single pair I found were low-riding jeans. Huh? In the women's sections?? Not just the teen girl's section. Oh my God....
That's all there was to choose from.

So I bought some low-riding jeans.

What is wrong with the clothing industry???

Wandering Sensei
03-17-2005, 08:59 PM
Me too. But, I've yet to see many skinny people, much less someone overweight, do a reverse spinning crescent kick.

They are pretty easy to block, though.

Well, in the dojo I see them all the time. <s> They're easy to block if you know what you're doing, but not everyone does. And we're always told that on the street keep it simple. Break their knee. Nothing fancy. But I agree with Maryn. Fit and fat are not mutually exclusive. A lot of skinny people aren't in shape. A lot of overweight people are. That is another of my pet peeves, people who assume that fat people are just useless lumps of blubber, totally unable to do anything. That's one thing I like about this dojo. My weight was never an issue. Although, mind you, I'm trying to lose. I'd be in better shape if I were thinner.

I guess you're right. High flying side blade kick upside the head instead then.;)

Wandering Sensei
03-17-2005, 09:21 PM
I used to know a guy who'd always try to one-up me when I talked about my writing. His ideas were much better. They were all best sellers. All he had to do was write them down.

!!

Of course, he couldn't do them right then because he was too tired, and too busy, and the job took too much out of him, and he didn't have a typewriter, and he didn't want to write longhand because it was too much trouble, and he didn't want to record them on a tape recorder because he did that a lot at work so he didn't want to do that when he got home....

Someone gave him a typewriter. He let it sit until it needed work before he could use it. (I'm talking years here.) Then he couldn't write because he had to get it repaired. Then he couldn't write because he needed a computer to do it. Then he got a computer. But he couldn't write because it didn't have Windows. He couldn't be a writer unless he had a computer that had Windows.

I haven't spoken to him in over 15 years, but I'll bet he's still spinning the same old excuses.

TemlynWriting
03-17-2005, 09:38 PM
Another one: People who can't post their Idol auditions in the right sodding place.

Ahh, you sound like Simon already.

firehorse
03-17-2005, 09:44 PM
I screwed up the quoting thing (still a newbie at this), but somebody - whose name I can't find without losing the content of this message - wrote:

>>Effect/affect - Affect is a verb. Effect is usually a noun, but can be used as a verb. It is more often used incorrectly as a verb.<<

Affect is also a noun; it means emotional response and is most often used by psychiatric professionals.

I agree with Three: apostrophe abuse drives me nuts. I find ads on the subway particularly irritating. Couldn't these companies hire a proofreader?

For those who share my obsession with punctuation, I highly recommend Lynne Truss's (that would be a Brit apostrophe, I believe, not a US one) Eats, Shoots & Leaves. I'm sure it's been discussed extensively elsewhere on this site.

Sarah

TemlynWriting
03-17-2005, 09:45 PM
ANOTHER pet peeve. I'm in another online group. Several of us are writers, although it's not a writer's group per se. I mention that I'm a writer, and I've done x and y writing. Someone else says that she's an aspiring writer and has written a little on a novel/short story/poem/whatever. Everyone ignores the fact that I said I'm a writer and dotes all over her for being wonderfully creative and impressive and talented, etc.

Like, hello? Excuse me? I'm here. I exist. It wasn't just the sound of the wind.

Ticks me off. I think I should just get a tee shirt that says WRITER! on it in big letters and wear that everywhere. :Headbang:

I hate this, too.

This happened once in my church, several years ago. Everyone there knows that I write poetry, but when one gentleman mentioned that he'd written a poem and it got accepted with the "International Library of Poetry," (or whatever poetry.com's scheme is), everyone doted on him and had him read the poem aloud to the congregation. It wasn't such a bad poem or anything, but it wasn't the best, either. Honestly, it was a cutesy poem - not very literary or articulate. I felt bad that he was duped into thinking his poem was SO good because the "International Library of Poetry" accepted him and was going to publish him, and also because everyone else was just as clueless about this poetry scam.

TemlynWriting
03-17-2005, 09:49 PM
Ahhh
Here's an interesting one.

Last Saturday I went shopping for some new jeans. Mind you, I hadn't bought any for quite a while since I like the feel of the old, worn ones. But I'm afraid the old worn ones were in pretty bad shape.

So I searched the aisles of a department store for some new jeans. And what do you know-- Every single pair I found were low-riding jeans. Huh? In the women's sections?? Not just the teen girl's section. Oh my God....
That's all there was to choose from.

So I bought some low-riding jeans.

What is wrong with the clothing industry???

I know how you feel, rhymegirl. I always had this problem while I was in middle and high school. I'd try to buy shorts, and all the shorts would be "short shorts," which weren't allowed in school. I was always tall for my age, so it was difficult finding shorts that came to a decent length on me.

I have a difficult time looking for jeans nowadays, too, but so far I've had luck in places like Ross, Marshall's, and TJ Maxx, as well as JC Penney. Because my torso and legs are long, I usually have to buy Gloria Vanderbilt, Tommy Hilfiger, or Bill Blass jeans, which fit me better than a lot of the "trendier" jeans (I know...Tommy is trendy too, but hey, they fit!). I can't find a pair of Old Navy jeans that even attempt to fit. I don't know what's up with their sizes, but nothing comes close to fitting me.

William Haskins
03-17-2005, 11:02 PM
not to mention how hard it is to find a flattering loincloth anymore.

ChunkyC
03-18-2005, 12:14 AM
But he couldn't write because it didn't have Windows. He couldn't be a writer unless he had a computer that had Windows.
Isaac Asimov wrote over 500 books on a manual typewriter. (He probably had to change the ribbon a few times, another chore that would make it difficult to be a writer, I'd wager.) And I wonder what Socrates and Plato used to pen their masterworks. Probably something resembling a pen, like a quill. Same for all those poor saps who filled the great library at Alexandria to the rafters with their scribblings lo these many centuries ago.

How did anything ever get written before Bill Gates made literature possible?

Dawno
03-18-2005, 12:34 AM
OK, very date specific pet peeve here...I'm wearing green, I have a large shamrock pendant on, I have red hair, my company ID is hanging around my neck and my very visible last name starts with O'

Why do people ask me if I'm Irish???

Happy St. Patrick's day to you all!!

Sarita
03-18-2005, 12:36 AM
I'm wearing green, I have a large shamrock pendant on, I have red hair, my company ID is hanging around my neck and my very visible last name starts with O'

:roll: They're probably the same people doing more than half of the other peeves mentioned on this thread!

Happy St. Patrick's Day, by the way :)

Optimus
03-18-2005, 03:26 AM
Well, in the dojo I see them all the time. <s> They're easy to block if you know what you're doing, but not everyone does. And we're always told that on the street keep it simple. Break their knee. Nothing fancy. But I agree with Maryn. Fit and fat are not mutually exclusive. A lot of skinny people aren't in shape. A lot of overweight people are. That is another of my pet peeves, people who assume that fat people are just useless lumps of blubber, totally unable to do anything. That's one thing I like about this dojo. My weight was never an issue. Although, mind you, I'm trying to lose. I'd be in better shape if I were thinner.

I guess you're right. High flying side blade kick upside the head instead then.;)
Well, I meant more in terms of limberness, dexterity, quickness, and control due to weight distribution. Which, if we're to be truthful, would be logical assumptions on my part.

"That is another of my pet peeves, people who assume that fat people are just useless lumps of blubber, totally unable to do anything. "

Good thing I never said nor assumed any of that. Hope you're not trying to put words in my mouth.

And, yeah, if you were on the street, you would never want to use a flashy kick in the first place. Those are only good for tournaments, movies, and the occasional ninja fight in your dojo. That's one of the reasons I'm not big on, for example, Tae Kwon Do and Tan Soo Do. They're all about flashy kicks and punching hard, yet inefficiently. All you have to do is stand close to them in a fight and they're useless. And they all think they're badasses. At least all the ones I've met, but I think that may have more to do with the instructor how teaches them (he seems to be like the bad guy from Karate Kid). One of my instructors tells the story of a guy he knew who trained in TKD and was mugged at knife point. The guy tried to be a hero with a big, flashy, useless kick and the mugger grabbed his leg while he was kicking and stuck his knife in it.

Which is why I take Gracie Jiu Jitsu. Out of all the styles I've taken, it's the most practical (though I like Chinese styles better).

Vipersniper
03-18-2005, 03:27 AM
:crazy: I like the one about the aliens send them on over to me since in highschool my nickname was Judy Pace from outer space. I might even feed them old rejection letters until they get stopped up and just delete themselves into netherland. Yeah that will work.

As for what has happened to the clothing industry what about jeans for the large size man without them making comments about running out of gas if they drove around you in the road. My husband has a hard time finding jeans to fit. But since he lost weight it has gotten easier.

Okay another one someone calls you on the phones and asks are you there?
No it is my alien counterpart.

KellyS.
03-18-2005, 05:24 AM
I hate it when people spell lose wrong.

Where did I loose my keys?

Drives me crazy!

Susie
03-18-2005, 05:50 AM
My pet peeve is an editor who starts a magazine, accepts your work, keeps saying it will premiere in a month. Then, the next time you speak to them (three months later or more), they tell you it's a 'no go.'

Sarita
03-18-2005, 05:55 AM
Wow Joanne, this is quite an extensive list to compile. I think I'll let you keep your glasses to sort these out. :D

KellyS.
03-18-2005, 11:36 AM
People don't want to bag their groceries? Really? I always do mine. It beats standing there doing nothing, and I get out of the store faster. So do the customers behind me in line. I wish the customers ahead of me would bag.
<snip>
If there's anyone here I haven't offended yet, let me know and I'll try harder.

I will bag them when there isn't a bagger there. I won't wait for the cashier to do both. My only peeve is that the wages of the baggers are reflected in the prices of the items. If you have baggers, who are nowhere to be seen, and I have to bag, then give me money off! lol When I would shop and all three of my kids were little, then I did have a problem with having to bag, but I did it.

I used to work in a grocery store. I started off bagging groceries. It amazed me how many teenage boys would be anywhere in the store they could, except bagging groceries. That was many years ago, but I guess that experience colors my opinion now.

Offend me? Nah.:)

You can include some sisters in that as well. I guess we can break it down to just some family members.

Shiny_Penguin
03-18-2005, 07:35 PM
I bag my groceries to get the heck out of the store and away from the whiny children faster.

Me too! But the whiny kids usually follow me out to the car and get in. Of course they're MY whiny kids....

BlueTexas
03-18-2005, 11:15 PM
Me too! But the whiny kids usually follow me out to the car and get in. Of course they're MY whiny kids....

At least they're yours; that must make it more tolerable. I'm so anti-kid my husband got snipped for Christmas last year! We've had to 'watch' my sisters kids for months at a time, we figure one of these day it will be permanent and have no desire to add to the kid-load.

ZaZ
03-18-2005, 11:41 PM
I get annoyed by everything

Amen.

JoeEkaitis
03-19-2005, 01:28 AM
Four words, when they appear on the wrapper for any confection called "Peanut Butter Crunch" in which the next two ingredients after milk chocolate are peanut butter and peanuts:

ALLERGY WARNING:
CONTAINS PEANUTS

Sarita
03-19-2005, 01:41 AM
ALLERGY WARNING:CONTAINS PEANUTS

Or better yet: Allergy Warning: May Contain peanuts.

I saw that once on a airline peanut wrapper.:Huh:

allion
03-19-2005, 07:02 AM
My peeves (and I agree with the driving ones mentioned earlier - that seems to be universal):

- coworkers who bring their babies to work to "show them off", basically interrupting the office for at least an hour while we all get to hear long-winded descriptions of the birth or the trials of baby throw-up

(however, if you want to bring your puppy, kitten, or other animal companion in, I'm all for it, and they can stay all day if they like)

- coworkers who come down the cubicle aisle and have a loud, endless conversation about who is winning the office pool for the latest reality show and stand outside my cube and talk really, really loudly about said show for at least a half-hour (although it may seem like eternity)

- nosy parkers who want to know what I'm eating for lunch - MYOB, you morons...

- HR departments who never call back about interviews when they say they will

- coworkers who pretend to do oh, so much work and really don't do a dang thing - but the manager never notices this

- getting a review where you do 120% of quota but you only get a "satisfactory" rating :Wha:

Can you tell I had a rough week at work??

So glad it's the weekend - I have two days to not think about work...

Karen the bitter and twisted...

Richard
03-20-2005, 02:15 AM
Here's a writing one:

"Females".

Not, I hasten to add, the gender or folks in it. Just the use of that word as an increasingly popular catch-all. It makes everything sound like a badly written sci-fi book. As in "There were a number of females in the office" or "A number of females then arrived" or "Puny Earthling, bring Zog your females!"

Really, really grates...

(I know - typical male...)

KellyS.
03-20-2005, 04:31 AM
Here's a writing one:

"Females".

Not, I hasten to add, the gender or folks in it. Just the use of that word as an increasingly popular catch-all. It makes everything sound like a badly written sci-fi book. As in "There were a number of females in the office" or "A number of females then arrived" or "Puny Earthling, bring Zog your females!"

Really, really grates...

(I know - typical male...)

On a different note, just checked out your site and loved the Evil Peep Bunny article. lmao

Richard
03-20-2005, 04:50 AM
Heh. Thanks ;-)

Wandering Sensei
03-20-2005, 09:19 AM
I hate it when people spell lose wrong.

Where did I loose my keys?

Drives me crazy!

And there are a lot of people trying to loose weight.

Loose weight. Is that like loose change? I wish some of mine would get loose.

BlueTexas
03-21-2005, 07:34 AM

Trucks with bumpers like steel girders mounted at my eye level that insist on tailgating. See "Hummers."

This one used to really scare me when I'd drive on a freeway. Then I got hit by a mack truck 18-wheeler while driving my itty-bitty Saturn. I now have no fear of tailgaters in big trucks. If I'm doing the speed limit, they can pass me or just suck it up, because I'm no longer intimidated. And if they get mad, so much the better. They shouldn't be tailgating in the first place, and I'm betting they really don't need that big of an environment-destroying truck anyway.

Fractured_Chaos
03-21-2005, 11:36 AM
Vwls.

:ROFL:

<--- *points to name*

Fractured_Chaos
03-21-2005, 12:40 PM
Pet Peeves? I only have a couple...

In -several- categories.

Driving, Parking, Vehicles in general

1) The Bold and the Brainless driving the big Shineynew® SUV (that will never leave the pavement, never carry more than 2 bags of groceries, and never carry more than 2 passengers), pulling out in front of me, while yakking away on a cellphone. And then have the gall to give -me- the dirty look, or the finger, because I had to slam on my brakes, and hit my horn.

2) Parking my little-bitty Tempo somewhere out in the North 40, where no one else parks, and coming out of the store later to discover that I'm surrounded on three sides by the aforementioned Shineynew® SUVs.

3) Lucking into a good spot close to the store, and having someone in a Shineynew® SUV follow me, and wait while I load my groceries into the car, so they can have my spot (Actually, that doesn't really bother me anymore. I'll get in my car, and just -sit-, until they get annoyed and go park in the spot two spaces down from me).

4) Shineynew® SUVs, period. Seems like the majority of the people who buy those things used the last of their braincells as the down payment. >.<

Customers I have to put up with...

1) Customers who will complain to me right off the bat that they had to wait 30 minutes before anyone answered the phone. When there are NO calls in queue, and, in fact, there is about five minutes between calls as it is.

2) Customers who will blatantly LIE to me, to get something they are not entitled to. "No, So-and-so did NOT tell you that you could have (fill in the blank here, usually with something rediculously outrageous, or outright illegal), try another one."

3) Customers who try to blackmail me into giving them something they are not entitled to. "You want to cancel your account because I won't credit off $50.00 worth of roaming that you -admit- you did?? Go right ahead. You're still under contract. That'll be $150.00, please. On top of your bill."

4) Customers who try to bully me, or threaten me into giving them something they are not entitled to. "You're going to come here and beat me to a pulp? Sir, you -do- realize that all these calls are recorded, right? And I do have your account right here in front of me? And you -did- confirm the address on the account -IS- current?" "Click"

5) Customers who were born in this country, who have -NO- excuse for not speaking clearly. Regional accents, foreign accents, I can handle. Ebonics, or mush-mouthed mumbling I cannot.

5a) Those same customers getting mad at me because I ask them several times to repeat themselves.

6) The fact that my supervisor will NOT allow me to install a zapper on my phone for stupid people!

Augh. This list is getting too long. Let's just say -people- in general annoy the hell out of me. I cry for humanity.

Galoot
03-21-2005, 01:23 PM
This one used to really scare me when I'd drive on a freeway. Then I got hit by a mack truck 18-wheeler while driving my itty-bitty Saturn. I now have no fear of tailgaters in big trucks. If I'm doing the speed limit, they can pass me or just suck it up, because I'm no longer intimidated. And if they get mad, so much the better. They shouldn't be tailgating in the first place, and I'm betting they really don't need that big of an environment-destroying truck anyway.As a former trucker, I wish everyone felt like you do. Speed kills.

For your own safety, however, if an idiot trucker is following too close find a way to get behind him rather than in front of him. You can stop a lot faster than he can. With his inertia he'll run right over you even if he never meant to intimidate you. Even if he's a nice sort of guy, intimidated by Saturns.

If you're doing the speed limit while going downhill, just get the hell out of the way of the truck approaching from the rear. Maybe he's doing that because he's out of control. The most valuable words I ever learned were, "What's the worst thing that could happen?"

Don't be intimidated, but do be safe.

BlueTexas
03-21-2005, 05:48 PM
As a former trucker, I wish everyone felt like you do. Speed kills.

For your own safety, however, if an idiot trucker is following too close find a way to get behind him rather than in front of him. You can stop a lot faster than he can. With his inertia he'll run right over you even if he never meant to intimidate you. Even if he's a nice sort of guy, intimidated by Saturns.

If you're doing the speed limit while going downhill, just get the hell out of the way of the truck approaching from the rear. Maybe he's doing that because he's out of control. The most valuable words I ever learned were, "What's the worst thing that could happen?"

Don't be intimidated, but do be safe.

I still get out of the way of big trucks :) I mean, physics still applies...the 18 wheeler will win, just like it did last time...which was an honest accident, and the man at fault was apologetic and it was during nightmare rush-hour Atlanta traffic.

It's just the weenies in SUV's or Hummers or big huge Dually trucks who irritate me. I have just as much right to be there as they do!

Which reminds me of yet another peeve...when two of the above said vehicles are parked next to me in a parking lot, causing me to be unable to see anything at all behind me when backing out, and some idiot I had no ability to see honks at me for backing out! Especially when said honker cut across the parking lot to get to my spot...

And another...people like Real Estate Agents who have advertising on the side of their car who drive like idiots. Do they not realize they just told me who the idiot driving was, photo and all?

I think people lose their minds when they get behind the wheel..honestly.

Torin
03-23-2005, 09:08 PM
In my search for an agent, I've encountered two separate sites of agents who accept email queries and BOTH of these sites say versions of this:

We respond within X time if we are interested. If you have not heard back from us in X time, we are not interested or we did not receive your email.

Okay. So how am I supposed to know whether they're not interested or the mail vanished into cyberspace? Should writers send emails every time "X time" expires until they get a response? This just makes me sigh and shake my head.

Torin
http://www.cebarrett.com

DaveKuzminski
03-23-2005, 09:51 PM
Send 'em one back that states they didn't receive your submission because of their guidelines or because the email gremlin ate it. ;)

firehorse
03-24-2005, 09:36 PM
People who write "anymore" and "alright" as if they were single words. It irritates me even more to see those words on advertisements. I think the former may have finally made it into the dictionary, but I remember teachers (not to mention my father) drilling it into my head that "any more" is two words.

Commas taking over the jobs of semicolons.

The MS Word grammar check. It's incorrect a great deal of the time. The most annoying error it makes is telling me that "its" should be "it's."

Having to teach editors how to edit my pieces (not you, Franny!). I think this came up earlier, along with having editors damage a piece with bad editing.

Writing that tells me what to feel (a/k/a too many adverbs and adjectives). I'm guilty of this one, which is probably why it bothers me so much.

Wandering Sensei
03-24-2005, 11:18 PM
In my search for an agent, I've encountered two separate sites of agents who accept email queries and BOTH of these sites say versions of this:

We respond within X time if we are interested. If you have not heard back from us in X time, we are not interested or we did not receive your email.

Okay. So how am I supposed to know whether they're not interested or the mail vanished into cyberspace? Should writers send emails every time "X time" expires until they get a response? This just makes me sigh and shake my head.

Torin
http://www.cebarrett.com

That also happens with snail mail queries, and it drives me up a wall. Are they not responding because they didn't get it? Should I resend? Are they not responding because they're rude and they're blowing me off? I DO include SASEs on every single submission. Always.

three seven
03-25-2005, 01:39 AM
People who write "anymore" and "alright" as if they were single words.
Alright is actually correct in English, just as Anymore is acceptable in America (according to the dictionary, at least.)

firehorse
03-25-2005, 01:59 AM
Alright is actually correct in English, just as Anymore is acceptable in America (according to the dictionary, at least.) Really? You mean I have to give up my righteous indignation? Or else turn into one of those crotchety folks who say, "In my day, "any" and "more" were two different words. And we liked it that way!!"

How many Americans who use "alright" do you suppose know they're using Standard English (as opposed to Standard American)? I'll be more forgiving if I see a post from the UK ;).

Good to see you again Three Seven :hi: Hope you get a chance to catch up on :sleepy: in the next ten days.

-Sarah

three seven
03-25-2005, 02:02 AM
I'll be more forgiving if I see a post from the UK ;).
Alright then, here you go.

Good to see you again Three Seven :hi: Hope you get a chance to catch up on :sleepy: in the next ten days
Thank you! I don't intend to do much else!

jdkiggins
03-25-2005, 02:04 AM
I guess I'm one of those crochety old folks. But in my day, we were taught that if you're going to say all right is should be as this. Because it's either all right or all wrong. That's how I remembered the dang rule. Geez, now there's new rules? I'll never learn all this newfangled word wrangling.

firehorse
03-25-2005, 02:10 AM
Geez, now there's new rules? I'll never learn all this newfangled word wrangling.
LOL. Just different rules for UK and US English. I agree with you on "all right" for Pennsylvania (for Ohio? Who knows.) Canadian English is even more confusing - we take a little from each, and the punctuation is downright random.

ChunkyC
03-25-2005, 03:16 AM
Any sign that says something like:

Nite Lites 50% OFF

I always want to go in and ask them if they keep the same half off all the time, or do they sometimes turn them on and turn the other half off? http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Okay, it was actually the spelling that bugged me. I prefer FIFTY PERCENT. :D :D

Somebody stop me.

arrowqueen
03-25-2005, 03:39 AM
Yep. We've got a laundrette here called 'The Qwik Wosh' - drives me mad!

firehorse
03-25-2005, 03:46 AM
I prefer FIFTY PERCENT. Technically (I think) numbers below ten are supposed to be written out, and those larger are to be numerical.

Oh. Did you mean the "Nite Lite" part :Smack:

I also hate incorrect quotation marks. Like "LUNCH" - well, is it lunch, or is it something they're trying to pass off as lunch, but it's really... ground up woodchucks or something. http://www.coolsmilies.net/death/puke1.gif

Have you read "Eats, Shoots & Leaves" yet?

jdkiggins
03-25-2005, 03:47 AM
LOL. Just different rules for UK and US English. I agree with you on "all right" for Pennsylvania (for Ohio? Who knows.) Canadian English is even more confusing - we take a little from each, and the punctuation is downright random.

LOL, Then what's the excuse for the PhD English professor from Indiana?

jdkiggins
03-25-2005, 03:49 AM
Technically (I think) numbers below ten are supposed to be written out, and those larger are to be numerical.

Yes, if you have 20 people in one room, nine out of 10, will most assuredly say that the other nine out of 10 are wrong. :roll:

ChunkyC
03-25-2005, 03:50 AM
Oh. Did you mean the "Nite Lite" part :Smack:
Just my feeble attempt at humour, pretending not to notice the Nite Lite bit.

I've been meaning to snag a copy of Eats, Shoots and Leaves.

jdkiggins
03-25-2005, 04:05 AM
So...no one argued.

It should have been: Yes, if you have 20 people in one room, 9 out of 10, will most assuredly say that the other 9 out of 10 are wrong. But the other 50 hiding in the corner won't say a word.

You're right firehorse.

The rule is the numbers one through ten should be spelled out; use figures for numbers greater than ten.

However, with a group of related numbers where one number is above ten in a sentence, write them all in figures. Use words if all related numbers are ten or below. :)

jdkiggins
03-25-2005, 04:10 AM
Yep. We've got a laundrette here called 'The Qwik Wosh' - drives me mad!
Now I'm really confused. Is Pennsylvania in Scotland, or is Scotland in Pennsylvania?

BlueTexas
03-25-2005, 05:03 AM
Any sign that says something like:

Nite Lites 50% OFF

I always want to go in and ask them if they keep the same half off all the time, or do they sometimes turn them on and turn the other half off? http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Okay, it was actually the spelling that bugged me. I prefer FIFTY PERCENT. :D :D

Somebody stop me.

The 'lites' is what bugs me about that ad. Is it a lite night, like it only has half the stars, or is it a night light, a light used at night? Lazy spelling bugs me :(

firehorse
03-25-2005, 05:15 AM
The rule is the numbers one through ten should be spelled out; use figures for numbers greater than ten.

However, with a group of related numbers where one number is above ten in a sentence, write them all in figures. Use words if all related numbers are ten or below. :)
Maybe we should begin an MLA thread? ;)

jdkiggins
03-25-2005, 05:40 AM
Chuck, your Nite Lites 50% OFF reminded me of a few signs I've seen in my travels.

This one was on a bridge

A Street
Downtown
1 1/4 miles

Gas station sign

EAT HERE
and
GET GAS
TIPTON, INDIANA

Another gas station sign

KIDS EAT FREE
WITH GAS

At a fast food establishment

NOW HIRING

2 Big Cheesies
for
3 Bucks

Rob-rite
03-25-2005, 06:18 AM
Old, flat-cap wearing men who happily tootle along at 35mph in a 60mph zone, making you late for a very important appointment if you suffer the misfortune of getting stuck behind them.
The flat-cap is significant. I actually think it's the cause...

firehorse
03-25-2005, 06:23 AM
Chuck, your Nite Lites 50% OFF reminded me of a few signs I've seen in my travels. My favorite sign wasn't a typo, though I enjoy those, too (you all *really* have to read Eats, Shoots & Leaves). The sign I saw read "Promised Land Preparatory School." Even if I were religious, I'm not sure I'd want my kids going there.

mommie4a
03-25-2005, 06:42 AM
Have any of you checked out www.churchsigngenerator.com (http://www.churchsigngenerator.com)? You can make any wacky sign you want there. I'm Jewish, and a friend of mine - a close friend who happens to be Catholic - sent me an email with a picture of a church's marque saying "Jill Zimon - Jesus Loves You." My jaw hit the keyboard and then I saw the www.churchsigngenerator.com (http://www.churchsigngenerator.com) symbol at the bottom. Wild.

reph
03-25-2005, 07:10 AM
firehorse, would you mind deleting a few hyphens from that row in your sig line? The text in your posts runs off my right margin because the row widens the whole thing.

I've got them small-screen blu-u-ues,
Those dang old small-screen BLOO-hoos.
Tripped across a twelve-inch column,
Got to feelin' real solemn,
Oh, ow-ow-ow-ow-OWOO!

firehorse
03-25-2005, 08:02 AM
firehorse, would you mind deleting a few hyphens from that row in your sig line? The text in your posts runs off my right margin because the row widens the whole thing. Sure! I had no idea.

Galoot
03-25-2005, 08:14 AM
A jewelry store near where I grew up had one of the nicest signs in the mall. It must have cost them a month's rent to have it custom made.

They sold elegant baubles. What was the name of the store, you ask? Refined Eloquence.

The clerks there spoke no more effectively than the clerks at other stores. I was disappointed.

reph
03-25-2005, 10:19 AM
Some publishers use that one. Another rule is spell out through ninety-nine and use figures for 100 and up. Another rule is spell out through nine and use figures for 10 and up. Then there are details like using numerals for people's ages and with units of measure. These also vary from one style manual to another.

firehorse
03-25-2005, 07:08 PM
I occasionally freelance as a proofreader and copy editor, but I often get tripped up. In Toronto, the following guides are in use, depending on the company/media outlet:

Strunk and White (duh!)
Chicago Manual of Style
AP Stylebook
Canadian Press Stylebook
The Globe and Mail Style Book
New York Times Manual of Style and Usage
MLA

Occasionally there have been others, but those are mostly industry-specific (APA, AMA). Still, it's enough to make an American-born Canadian's head do some funky things http://www.coolsmilies.net/gestures/yikes.gif.

aka eraser
03-25-2005, 08:54 PM
My biggest pet peeves are:

1. Insufferable know-it-alls. When one of these is in a discussion, I fear saying anything because they'd negate/jump on what I say in a heartbeat, and I am bad in debates.

2. BAD SPELLING!:guns: I just hate (hate!) people spelling their as "there", you're as "your" (ARGH!) and a lot as "alot".

1. That's silly.

2. Their must be sumthing wrong with ewe.

I'm kidding! ;)

brokenfingers
03-27-2005, 10:07 PM
My list of pet peeves is long but here's one that came up today:

When I rent a move from the video store, have it for a week, bring it back a day late -
AND STILL DIDN'T WATCH THE DAMN THING!!!

I do that all the time! D'oh!!