jdkiggins

Troubled-Talks with animals.
Registered
Reaction score
The "Dead Zone" in PA. (The state.) All lit up and
Website
home.comcast.net
Everyone has a pet peeve. What's yours?

I've been compiling a list since May 2002. So far everyone who has answered this question responded differently. I have a list of more than 500 different pet peeves. Care to play?

Here's a sample:

My pet peeve is watching someone's turn signal blink eternally while they continue to drive straight on the road in front of me.

Joanne

Last edited:

Optimus

Banned
Reaction score
The misuse of the English language, especially in writing. Spelling and punctuation due to typos don't bother me as much as blatant ignorance.

Idiots who write "should of" rather than "should've" because they don't realize that they're actually saying a contraction of "should have." Did they even graduate elementary school? It makes my skin crawl.

Consistently confusing "than" and "then."

Morons saying their "th" as an "f" as in "troof" for "truth." And saying "axe" rather than "ask."

The intellectually bereft people who say "they" instead of "they're" and "their." As in, "They need to get they act together."

There are several more, but if I list them all I'll go crazy.

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
English language wise, I hate suposubly (how do you even spell that?) It's Supposedly!!! In parts of PA, they say "The grass needs cut" or "The dishes need washed." Have you ever heard of 2 little words? ... TO BE. That kills me.

I also hate the sound of Neil Diamond's voice, it makes my blood boil, but I don't think that's a pet peeve.

jdkiggins

Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
Saritams8 said:
English language wise, I hate suposubly (how do you even spell that?) It's Supposedly!!! In parts of PA, they say "The grass needs cut" or "The dishes need washed." Have you ever heard of 2 little words? ... TO BE. That kills me.

I also hate the sound of Neil Diamond's voice, it makes my blood boil, but I don't think that's a pet peeve.

LOL, Saritams8. I live in PA, but I've heard it said "I need to worsh dishes."
The most hilarious to me is, "I need to red out my closet." :roll:

Joanne

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
jdkiggins said:
The most hilarious to me is, "I need to red out my closet."

I know! What is that? Is that even a sentence? Are you painting your closet/room/car red? It's so confusing to me, so much so that I'm studying linguistics as my minor in order to understand these goofy little phrases.

jdkiggins

Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
Saritams8 said:
I know! What is that? Is that even a sentence? Are you painting your closet/room/car red? It's so confusing to me, so much so that I'm studying linguistics as my minor in order to understand these goofy little phrases.

I have no clue why some say "red out" instead of clean out. I think it has something to do with geographic area. :roll: There is a book Pittsburgheze with many stupid phrases. I glanced through it at the library and wondered where these people came up with these words.

I don't red out my closets and I don't worsh dishes and when the grass does come up from under all this darn snow, I will mow the lawn. LOL

Joanne

Vipersniper

Registered
Reaction score
My pet peeve is this.

:confused: My pet peeve is the relatives who have a family reunion in the emergency room and no one in the back has a life threatening emergency. They get in the way of the relatives who are waiting for news of someone on life support. When the child has a cold I wish these people would stay at home.

paprikapink

Bored fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
paprikapink2.blogspot.com
The food thing. Maybe it's just the California food thing. No matter how healthfully you eat, or at least you think you eat, there's someone nearby who can tell you that it's just not good enough. You must drink lots of water. Okay, I do that. Oh, but not with meals! Not ice water! You are drinking spring water, aren't you? You must eat more fiber. Sure, I eat lots of fiber-rich foods. Oh, but you don't eat fruits and vegetables at the same meal do you? You may be eating too much gluten. You should use hi-gluten flour. Humans weren't meant to eat grains. Brown rice is indigestible if it's not fermented first.

Shut up and pass the ketchup.

-pkpk

biotales

Registered
Reaction score
paprikapink said:
The food thing. Maybe it's just the California food thing. No matter how healthfully you eat, or at least you think you eat, there's someone nearby who can tell you that it's just not good enough. You must drink lots of water. Okay, I do that. Oh, but not with meals! Not ice water! You are drinking spring water, aren't you? You must eat more fiber. Sure, I eat lots of fiber-rich foods. Oh, but you don't eat fruits and vegetables at the same meal do you? You may be eating too much gluten. You should use hi-gluten flour. Humans weren't meant to eat grains. Brown rice is indigestible if it's not fermented first.

Shut up and pass the ketchup.

-pkpk
:roll: which explains why I live in TN

arrowqueen

RIP, our sarky besom
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Actually 'to redd up/out' is an old Scots phrase which made its way to America:

'The root of "redd" (which by itself means "to clear or clean") seems to be a combination of the Middle English and Scots dialectical word "redden" (meaning "to free or clear an area") with another Middle English word, "reden," meaning "to rescue or free from." The same tangle of roots gave us the word "rid," and is closely related to the word "ready." And none of this, by the way, has anything to do with the color "red."'

so it has a fine and ancient pedigree.

Cheers,
aq

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I couldn't list my pet peeves here, or you'd all see through my friendly-person disguise to the bitter old crone underneath the happy-mask!

People who can't back up their political stance/belief with a reasoned argument or facts.

Someone who leaves a phone conversation with me to see if the call-waiting beep is somebody better.

One-upmanship on whatever complaint someone is voicing. ("My husband has cancer." "You think that's bad, my husband and my mother...")

People I do not feel close to who feel entitled to touch me affectionately (not sexually) more than very briefly.

Lousy tippers.

People who don't pay their share of the bill.

Parents who let their child misbehave in a place where an out-of-control kid spoils the experience the others paid for (movies, theatre, restaurants)--and yes, we have kids.

See? I've become the old lady who shakes her cane at the neighborhood kids whose bikes wander onto her grass!

Maryn

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Every time I hear the man with his finger on the button of the world's deadliest nuclear arsenal say nucular, I want to scream.

Machines that have a button labelled: "Do not press." If you're not supposed to use it, why put it there in the first place?

Reality TV. It's an oxymoron. Survivor is not reality, it's a game show. The premise of every last one of these shows has been 'invented' by the producers and writers.

wink.gif

Wandering Sensei

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
jdkiggins said:
I have no clue why some say "red out" instead of clean out. I think it has something to do with geographic area. :roll: There is a book Pittsburgheze with many stupid phrases. I glanced through it at the library and wondered where these people came up with these words.

I don't red out my closets and I don't worsh dishes and when the grass does come up from under all this darn snow, I will mow the lawn. LOL

Joanne

I don't worsh dishes. I have my dishworsher do it.

<g,d&RLH!>

three seven

(Graeme Cameron)
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Ok, stuff that annoys and upsets me:

Tailgating.

Kids who plaster their pathetic little girly cars with grands' worth of plastic sh*t and wheels that are too big to turn without rubbing the arches and put a whacking great sub where the back seats should be and drive up and down my street with the windows down and their hats on backwards, assaulting me with their WHUMP WHUMP WHUMPing drum & bass sh*t and tin can exhausts. Yeah, F**k off.

All I got was this lousy T-shirt.

Apostrophe abuse.

People who take up two parking spaces where one would suffice.

People who hold up the fast lane of the motorway because there's a police car doing 58mph in the slow lane and they're afraid to overtake it in case they get a ticket.

People who hold up the fast lane of the motorway because they're too stupid to understand that it is the fast lane and that they therefore shouldn't be in it.

The Nokia ringtone.

My ex-wife.

DVDs with five-minute animated menus that you can't skip.

People who book me on Friday for Monday, then cancel me at 9pm Sunday.

People who withhold their number when they're calling me, and ring over and over and over again when I don't answer. Either get the message or leave one, dumb*ss.

Every single person who sneered at Burt Reynolds because they thought he had AIDS.

People who indicate after they start turning.

Cheesy, over-produced computerised pop music. Especially where a vocoder is involved.

The fact that I'm writing this and not anything constructive.

Animal cruelty.

Smoking in non-smoking areas.

Drugs.

I can't be bothered to think of any more. I'm getting twitchy.

Oh yeah... Neil Diamond abuse.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Cracking knuckles. I hate when people crack their knuckles, necks, backs...! Sometimes it's so disgusting tears automatically spring to my eyes and I feel like I want to cry... or just leave that person's sight entirely. Uncontrollable shuddering.

Even worse than cracking knuckles... when people know it freaks the crap outta you so they do it on purpose.

Eowen

Registered
Reaction score
I've got a whole list. Actually, I've got several. These are exerpts.

Driving:

Failure to signal.

Leaving the turn signal on.

Tailgaters.

Driving real slow in the ultra-fast lane, while people behind him are going insane.

Street racing on the highway during rush hour.

Thinking you're 'kewl' because you street race on the highway during rush hour.

Grammar:

Internet phonetic spelling. 'Kewl' is not a word, no matter how many times you use it an an IM.

effect/affect - Affect is a verb. Effect is usually a noun, but can be used as a verb. It is more often used incorrectly as a verb.

Working in Tech Support:

Callers who ask "Is this tech support?" Well, if you pressed the extension for tech support, it probably is.

Callers who say "I don't know anything about computers," as an excuse for not listening to the answer to their question.

Callers who say "It doesn't work," and expect me to fix "it" with no further information.

Repeat callers who haven't learned that I will always ask them for the exact error message, and so don't write down said error message to read to me.

Your friendly local geek,

Eowen

BlueTexas

Back from self-exile land.
Registered
Reaction score
I hate it when people say "You done good." You did WELL!!

Screaming children and inept parents who expect other people to stop their children from being destructive in public. Worse, I hate it when they give you that dirty look when you ignore the child and look at the parent until they do something.

People on government aid who make more money than I do, yet whine when they have to pay for something.

People who won't take a sick animal to the vet because it's too expensive. They don't deserve the animal.

The use of the word toboggan in Texas to describe a knit or wool winter cap. It's a hat, not a sled!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.