Anyone Know ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valona

Registered
Reaction score
... how long a jail sentence is?

Let me explain. In my YA novel, two of the characters, antagonists, beat the protag up pretty badly. I have the sheriff's office arrest them and they get sentenced to a juvenile detention center or home. Originally, I had them sentenced to 4 weeks, getting off early for good behavior. However, now I'm thinking that may be a bit harsh.

So, what's the normal sentence for beating someone up. Keep in mind, they badly beat the protag, kicking him in sensitive places, kicking him in the face and breaking his nose, shutting his eyes, cutting his face, breaking his ribs and giving him a serious concussion, etc.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Paul

Aslera

Not an exact science
Registered
Reaction score
:) You can try the Story Research board. Search it or post the question. Someone might have first hand experience with this.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
...Originally, I had them sentenced to 4 weeks, getting off early for good behavior. However, now I'm thinking that may be a bit harsh...
Depending on where they live, and the severity of the beating, the boys could be sentenced anywhere from a warning up to time served in prison. If your story takes place in a certain state or country, you might want to brush up on the laws there. I live in Florida, and kids here are sentenced as adults all the time for battery and sent to prison for years.

Moon Daughter

Registered
Reaction score
4 weeks is harsh? I strongly disagree.

Beating someone up is an assault/battery, and depending on if there were weapons involved could bring the charge up to an aggravated assault/battery, which is punishable anywhere from months to years in prison (although more towards the months depending on how bad the assault was) and/or fines. Typically juvenile's who get in trouble with the law do not go through the juvie system. But for those who do, it's usually longer than just a month.

Last edited:

HeronW

Down Under Fan
Registered
Reaction score
With those severe damages a year would be minimum-sounds like premeditated assault, if attempted murder--3 to 5 yrs.

Valona

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I appreciate your input.

Wow. It looks like we're all over the board with this one. I've heard everything from a slap on the wrist and a verbal warning, to 20 years and a $50,000 fine.

It looks to me like I can probably give them any kind of sentence I want.

Status
Not open for further replies.