PDA

View Full Version : The Official LOST Thread (SPOILERS AHEAD)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

chartreuse
01-29-2008, 03:12 AM
Anyone else looking forward to this?

We just rewatched the last season's finale (I still get a kick out of Sayid breaking that guy's neck with his feet). I'm wondering if this is the point where Jack and Kate (and some others) will leave the island, or if that will happen somewhat later. Loved Jack's "forward flash" in the last episode.

Can't wait to see what happens when the people on the boat arrive...maybe Ben will turn out to have been telling the truth?

LIVIN
01-29-2008, 03:31 AM
Anyone else looking forward to this?

Indeedoroosky. It's one of my favorite shows.

MattW
01-29-2008, 03:49 AM
The "two hour event" I presume begins with a one hour recap?

These long hiatii can kill even a good show. I forgot all I knew about Lost. Only time will tell if I'm still interested.

LIVIN
01-29-2008, 03:59 AM
The "two hour event" I presume begins with a one hour recap?

I believe not. I think Thursdays two hours is all show. (However, I couldn't confirm this on the site). Wednesday there is a recap show.

Toothpaste
01-29-2008, 03:59 AM
cantwaitcantwaitcantwaitcantwaitcantwaitcantwait!! !!!!!!!!

I think this may be the one show that has benefited from the writer's strike (aside from the fact that they only have 8 episodes), because since there is nothing but reruns (and reality tv) on tv, people are going to be much more keen to watch anything that's new. While it may have lost some enthusiasm (not from me though!!), I think the fact that it is one of the only shows on tv showing new episodes, will help bring back an audience.

JLCwrites
01-29-2008, 04:15 AM
Mr. Turkey is excited, but I feel a little wary about flash forwards. I am not sure if they will be able to pull them off. But I may watch... just to see all those hunky bodies! ;)

DWSTXS
01-29-2008, 04:27 AM
It is a one-hour show.......last season's final episode will air first.........I just read it online a few minutes ago..........

there is also going to be some on-screen text........describing what's going on throughout the episode.......it wasn't clear from the article whether or not this was going to be going on during the last season's final episode or the new episode.....hopefully this little 'experiment' will not distract from what's playing on the screen

katiemac
01-29-2008, 05:18 AM
I believe not. I think Thursdays two hours is all show. (However, I couldn't confirm this on the site). Wednesday there is a recap show.

Last season's finale airs on Wednesday, a recap show on Thursday at 8, followed by the premiere at 9.

And yeah, can't wait.

DWSTXS
01-29-2008, 05:46 AM
and...........Sayid is greatness!

chartreuse
01-29-2008, 05:55 AM

I THINK that it is a recap show of some sort for the first hour on Thursday, with the normal one hour episode after. But I'll be tuning in at 8:00 regardless - I like the recaps because they help my poor little brain remember everything.

I didn't know there was anything on Wednesday, but if so i'll be watching that as well.

Takvah
01-29-2008, 06:00 AM
Gotta love Lost... I'll wait until it's an hour in and then catch up on the DVR skipping the commercials!

MattW
01-29-2008, 05:29 PM
Forgot the flash forwards! I'm guessing the captions on the screen might be to set the time and place of that scene, otherwise the confusion might be amplified.

Mjollnir13
01-29-2008, 05:37 PM
How could you not be excited for the best show on tv! I can't wait for Hurley...he cracks me up! Dude.

Shadow_Ferret
01-29-2008, 06:51 PM
Interesting. I assumed this show had been canceled years ago.

Zelenka
01-29-2008, 06:52 PM
We don't get it until Sunday over here in the UK, but I suppose for once we're not months behind everyone else. And, my HD satellite box thing should be here by then so I can watch Sayid in minute detail...

I agree with the long breaks though - I had forgotten the ending of season three until someone I was talking to mentioned it. Then again they have shown the last season right the way through on Sky but not when I've been around to watch it.

JLCwrites
01-29-2008, 10:14 PM
and...........Sayid is greatness!He's the only reason why I watch it. ;)

Enzo
01-30-2008, 03:48 PM
Here in Asia it'll take a couple of months before we can watch it on the traditional tube. But it's great to know it's back despite the strike.
I also loved the way they changed to flashforwards in the last episode.

kellysarah
01-30-2008, 10:07 PM
Yaaaay, can't wait!

But I thought this late start was on purpose, so they wouldn't lose viewers during sweeps like they did last year.

Woo Sawyer!

Toothpaste
01-30-2008, 10:12 PM
Yeah. The plan was instead of breaking up the season 8 episodes in the fall and 8 in the spring, they would show all 16 non-stop in the spring. And then the writer's strike happened.

So ironically we're still getting 8 episodes and then 8 episodes sometimes later.

I don't care though, at least we are getting something!

Celia Cyanide
01-30-2008, 10:48 PM
I am very excited. I don't usually watch television, but I am all caught up with the DVDs. Lantern Jack and I are really looking forward to it tomorrow.

I had heard that the network wanted 3 more seasons, and the producers only wanted to plan 2 more, so they split it up. I don't think the writers' strike had anything to do with the the split season.

katiemac
01-30-2008, 11:02 PM
The writer's strike affected this season's split, yes. The network ordered three more seasons of 16 episodes each, rather than two more seasons of 24 (which would have been preferred by the producers and viewers). The first 16-episode season was supposed to run straight this spring, but is now split in a series of 8 and 8 because they don't have all the scripts.

PattiTheWicked
01-30-2008, 11:39 PM
Great. Now I can resume my weekly Sayid/Sawyer/Desmond-in-a-hot-tub-with-cookies fantasies!

:::fans self, runs for emergency celery:::

Jcomp
01-31-2008, 10:47 PM
Great. Now I can resume my weekly Sayid/Sawyer/Desmond-in-a-hot-tub-with-cookies fantasies!

Yuck...... ...... ..... wet cookies....

rhymegirl
02-01-2008, 02:11 AM
Watched the last episode of Season 3 last night.

Looking forward to the new season tonight!

Toothpaste
02-01-2008, 07:23 AM
So?? Did anyone see the show?? Thoughts??

KTC
02-01-2008, 07:24 AM
I saw it.

The Oceanic 6?!?!?!?! Six went home?

Rolling Thunder
02-01-2008, 07:27 AM
And the island wants them baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack. :)

KTC
02-01-2008, 07:30 AM
I was angry when I saw something bad happening to Hurley...before I knew what it was. He's my favourite character. I thought it was going to get ugly after the chase. A life of crime would have been out of character for him. I'm glad it turned out he was only going crazy.

Rolling Thunder
02-01-2008, 07:34 AM
Do you ever get the feeling that, since Hurley was crazy before, the entire series might end up being us watching his inner insanity: a.k.a. Bob Newhart style?

Serenity
02-01-2008, 07:38 AM
Do you ever get the feeling that, since Hurley was crazy before, the entire series might end up being us watching his inner insanity: a.k.a. Bob Newhart style?

I will be pissed if they do. Very pissed.

But, that's for a later time. Right now, I have to say I really enjoyed tonight's episode. It seemed to go back to the kind of writing/directing/storytelling that drew me to the show in the first place.

Seemed. I am reserving further judgement until next week's episode.

Toothpaste
02-01-2008, 07:38 AM
No I don't think they would do that, the writers know that's a major cop out. From interviews I've seen them do they have assured people that's not the plan.

So there are 6, we know Hurley, Kate and Jack . . . but who are the other three?? I'm also dying to meet these new 'evil' people and also what happens with the group Locke went off with? Hurley apologises to Jack for not going with him . . .

Still love Ben though! He can deliver the simplest of lines beautifully!

KTC
02-01-2008, 07:43 AM
Yes. Hurley, Kate and Jack. Last season I thought it may have been Ben's funeral that none of them went to?

KTC
02-01-2008, 07:43 AM
Yes...Ben is a pleasure to fear and loath. And admire.

PattiTheWicked
02-01-2008, 07:44 AM
Tonight's episode was very good -- and I about peed myself when Hurley was looking into Jacob's hut. I like how we've got the group divided once more, and you don't know who to root for.

Sayid, Sawyer and Desmond are the hotties, but Ben Linus is the one I can't stop watching. He's excellent, and the scenes between him and Jack are pure gold.

Rolling Thunder
02-01-2008, 07:45 AM
Yes. Hurley, Kate and Jack. Last season I thought it may have been Ben's funeral that none of them went to?

I'm not sure why, but I had the feeling it was Sawyer's funeral they avoided.

Toothpaste
02-01-2008, 07:45 AM
Would Ben have left the island though? Unless they forced him to. And if so, why not ust kill him instead of making him leave? I thought it might have been Locke, but then I had the same conclusion. Sawyer maybe? But people think that's who Kate was going back to after her meeting with Jack. Really hard to speculate as friends can easily become enemies.

Toothpaste
02-01-2008, 07:46 AM
Sayid, Sawyer and Desmond are the hotties, but Ben Linus is the one I can't stop watching. He's excellent, and the scenes between him and Jack are pure gold.

Exactly! And good taste in the men btw ;) !

KTC
02-01-2008, 07:46 AM
I'm not sure why, but I had the feeling it was Sawyer's funeral they avoided.

And then Kate said to Jack, "He's going to wonder where I am." I thought she meant Sawyer...or was that just too obvious?

Toothpaste
02-01-2008, 07:47 AM
Like I said, it really could be anyone. They can do so much in 48 episodes to all the characters, make us love ones we hated and vice versa.

KTC
02-01-2008, 07:48 AM
Tonight's episode was the very first one I ever watched on TV. I watched season one during the summer, season two in the fall and season three when it came out on DVD...we got it for Christmas. It's so weird not being in control of when I can watch it!

Rolling Thunder
02-01-2008, 07:48 AM
And then Kate said to Jack, "He's going to wonder where I am." I thought she meant Sawyer...or was that just too obvious?

I don't know, but the writers sure do know what to do with red herrings.

KTC
02-01-2008, 07:49 AM
Like I said, it really could be anyone. They can do so much in 48 episodes to all the characters, make us love ones we hated and vice versa.

Definitely...could be anyone. That's where the fun lies. Oh, to open that casket.

Rolling Thunder
02-01-2008, 07:50 AM
Going off topic for a moment:

How many of you backed away from Eli Stone in the first five minutes?

rhymegirl
02-01-2008, 07:51 AM

I don't think it's Ben's funeral.

Jack seems upset about this person being dead. He wouldn't be upset about Ben being dead.

Toothpaste
02-01-2008, 07:51 AM
Eli Stone. I tried to give the show a shot, watched half an hour of it, but just couldn't handle it. Once they got into the autistic child plot, got a little too sweet, even for me.

Toothpaste
02-01-2008, 07:52 AM

Jack seems upset about this person being dead. He wouldn't be upset about Ben being dead.

He was upset, but at the same time denied being either friend or family I recall. Am I right on that one?

KTC
02-01-2008, 07:55 AM

I didn't even check it out...looked a little lopsidedly obscure.

KTC
02-01-2008, 07:57 AM

Jack is the type of person who would be deeply moved and upset by the fact that a dead person had nobody to mourn over them. He would also feel that he was forever connected to Ben. Also, Ben could have done something heroic to help 6 of them get off the island. It probably wasn't Ben...but I overthink everything.

rhymegirl
02-01-2008, 07:57 AM
He was upset, but at the same time denied being either friend or family I recall. Am I right on that one?

Yes, that's right.

So I think it could be Sawyer. Sawyer isn't his family and they never really got along, so he wasn't a friend either.

But they still spent a lot of time together on the island.

kristie911
02-01-2008, 08:26 AM
Tonight was awesome. It seemed like they're starting to pull it back together finally. Last season they were starting to lose me a little but the season finale and this premiere sucked me right back in.

Excellent!

small axe
02-01-2008, 08:28 AM
Without guessing who was in the coffin, Jack does at the end of the ep show Kate the newspaper clipping and tell her he wondered if SHE would be at the funeral ... so the key might be who the coffin guy was to KATE, not who he/she was to Jack.

I liked tonight's new episode a lot a lot a lot!

childeroland
02-01-2008, 08:45 AM
Digging the idea of the Oceanic 6. Very 'Battlestar Galactica'.

First Hurley-centric episode I really enjoyed.

Went from hating Locke to loving him again. Still not sure about Jack, though I kinda dug his nearly popping Locke in the head.

Why did that cop think Hurley was lying about knowing Anna's fate? Hm.

So now we have a new organization looking for (now having found) the Island. Is this the same one sneaking around Hurley in the flash-forward, or is Penelope still searching for Desmond?

Best part: Jacob and the other guy (girl?) in the cabin. In a way I guess Hurley is more special than Locke since he caught a glimpse of Jacob and Locke did not.

Jorge Garcia kicked major ass.

The Freighter People are gonna be pissed...

ChaosTitan
02-01-2008, 08:51 AM
Why did that cop think Hurley was lying about knowing Anna's fate? Hm.

I loved that bit of continuity!

It does seem that there's still a bit of mystique surrounding the Oceanic Six. Hurley shouting, "Don't you know you I am?" Jack says he gets asked for autographs on occasion. Their return must have been big news, but it seems like not everyone is convinced that only six survived the crash.

I'm so psyched about the Flashforwards. We've seen everything we need (I think, at any rate) about the characters' pasts. Seeing the future and puzzling out how they ended up that way is much more intriguing.

childeroland
02-01-2008, 10:11 AM
The flashforwards are certainly a great change/addition to the format. And with the series end date known, none of them should be used for filler, hallelujah.

Serenity
02-01-2008, 02:40 PM
So now we have a new organization looking for (now having found) the Island. Is this the same one sneaking around Hurley in the flash-forward, or is Penelope still searching for Desmond?

I don't think it's a new organization. Wasn't the guy who parachuted in at the end one of the doctors who talked Juliette into coming to the island?

dragonjax
02-01-2008, 05:08 PM
I don't think it's a new organization. Wasn't the guy who parachuted in at the end one of the doctors who talked Juliette into coming to the island?

See, to me, he looked a lot like Charlie. It messed me up.

NikeeGoddess
02-01-2008, 05:15 PM
so the key might be who the coffin guy was to KATE, not who he/she was to Jack. maybe - i think jack went to the viewing in hopes of finding kate
- but if sawyer were NOT one of the Oceana 6 (and i don't believe* he is) then it wasn't him.
*but hurley and sawyer went with locke so who knows?! the questions will continue to roll in circles as they always have.

anyhoo - if i was one of the producers i would have insisted jorge garcia go on a diet from day one. it makes no sense that someone so fat wouldn't have lost at least a little weight in 3 months.

ChaosTitan
02-01-2008, 08:15 PM

He's played by actor Jeremy Davies (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001111/), one of three new regulars on the series. He hasn't appeared before.

It's possible that these folks are going to be part of the Dharma Initiative, looking for their lost scientists. Seems pretty plausible to me, and it explains why Ben is so afraid of them. Once these new folks realize that their scientists are all dead in a ditch somewhere, they might go on a killing spree of their own.

dragonjax
02-01-2008, 09:44 PM
anyhoo - if i was one of the producers i would have insisted jorge garcia go on a diet from day one. it makes no sense that someone so fat wouldn't have lost at least a little weight in 3 months.

Actually, Hurley's weight was part of the overall plot. He's pointed out how ridiculous it is that he hasn't lost any weight on the Island. And just when he made a committed effort (with help from Libby) to lose weight, boom, they all found the Darma food stores. It's as if the Island wanted to keep him at his weight. My point here is that Hurley knows (and the writers know) that he SHOULD have lost weight, but he hasn't.

Now, the characters DO change physically. Not counting differences in hair styles for Sawyer, Sun and Claire, Claire had her baby, and Sun conceived. But given how Richard, apparently, hasn't aged (although Ben and his father did), perhaps living on the island puts someone's body in a sort of static state, where it can't change. Which could tie in hugely to the whole "why do pregnant women die on the island" question.

Hmm.

awatkins
02-01-2008, 10:20 PM
Richard (I think) was born on the island, while Ben and his father weren't; could that have something to do with the age thing?

Another thought: could Locke be the one in the casket? Neither Jack nor Kate would be interested in going to his funeral, right?

I only have one complaint about last night's show: could they have possibly squeezed in any more commercials??

Great show! Left me with some answers and tons of new questions! Can't wait til next week. :)

ChaosTitan
02-01-2008, 10:48 PM
Another thought: could Locke be the one in the casket? Neither Jack nor Kate would be interested in going to his funeral, right?

I can't imagine Locke willingly leaving that island. He'd be in the looney bin right next to Hurley. A character as passionate as Locke....I dunno. I imagine he'll make some sort of personal sacrifice before the series finale (and I don't imagine Jack will shed a single tear).

PattiTheWicked
02-01-2008, 11:10 PM
I think Locke HAS to stay on the island. He's the one character who's connected to it at a far deeper level than everyone else. Also, on the island he's physically undamaged.

Rose has to stay too, for a similar reason. Off the island, she's dying of cancer.

Kate should stay there as well, but mostly because I just hate seeing her fall down/get snuck up on/cry in every damn episode.

Susan Gable
02-02-2008, 12:04 AM
IF you guys ditched Eli Stone, does that mean none of you saw the Oceanic commercial?

And the two urls?

www.find815.com (http://www.find815.com) - now this is the way the use the interent to expand tv shows. <G>

The other one was http://www.flyoceanicair.com/ - which is basically sort of the commercial they ran -- this one has a lot more of "the guy" in it, though. This one is basically to direct you to the find815 website.

I love Lost. I wish the strike would get settled so we can have more episodes. Give the writers a bigger piece of the pie, dammit, and let's move on! <G>

Susan G.

childeroland
02-02-2008, 01:09 AM
I couldn't get past Chapter 1. The only differences I found in Sonya's two photographs was the mole on her face in the laptop photo but clicking on it didn't do anything.

IF you guys ditched Eli Stone, does that mean none of you saw the Oceanic commercial?

And the two urls?

www.find815.com (http://www.find815.com) - now this is the way the use the interent to expand tv shows. <G>

The other one was http://www.flyoceanicair.com/ - which is basically sort of the commercial they ran -- this one has a lot more of "the guy" in it, though. This one is basically to direct you to the find815 website.

I love Lost. I wish the strike would get settled so we can have more episodes. Give the writers a bigger piece of the pie, dammit, and let's move on! <G>

Susan G.

Susan Gable
02-02-2008, 01:13 AM
I couldn't get past Chapter 1. The only differences I found in Sonya's two photographs was the mole on her face in the laptop photo but clicking on it didn't do anything.

I didn't have a chance to look at much on there -- only watched one video diary entry.

Although I should have said, we really don't need MORE Lost material to obsess over. <G>

Easter eggs here, Easter eggs there... <G>

Susan G.

KTC
02-02-2008, 01:23 AM
I think Locke HAS to stay on the island. He's the one character who's connected to it at a far deeper level than everyone else. Also, on the island he's physically undamaged.

Rose has to stay too, for a similar reason. Off the island, she's dying of cancer.

Kate should stay there as well, but mostly because I just hate seeing her fall down/get snuck up on/cry in every damn episode.

I agree. They would have to knock Locke out to get him off the island. Unless, of course, he goes off after an accident and he is knocked out?

DWSTXS
02-02-2008, 01:41 AM

:::fans self, runs for emergency celery:::

but.....wouldn't the cookies get soggy? :(

DWSTXS
02-02-2008, 01:45 AM
Before this is all over and done with (47 more episodes and counting) I think that Ben will go down in the history of TV/Film as one of the greatest villains of all time.......

PattiTheWicked
02-02-2008, 07:04 AM
Oddly enough, I'm still not sure Ben's the villian he seems to be. Sure, he's not very nice, and he killed his own dad and a bunch of other people...

but I think Richard is the one we REALLY need to watch out for.

underthecity
02-02-2008, 05:29 PM
Regarding Jacob in the cabin. IIRC, Locke saw Jacob as a guy with a beard sitting there. And he said "Help me."

Then Hurley found the cabin and saw an unbearded Jacob. To my wife and me, that Jacob looked like Locke's father.

Then when Hurley looked through the window, we thought the guy who suddenly popped up and looked back at Hurley was Locke.

Regarding coffin. Didn't the coffin look kind of small? If so, then whoeven is in there would be small of stature. Plus, it was in a black, rough part of LA. Whoever coffin-guy is, he is either black or might be from that part of LA.

Ben certainly has a lot to lose if the freighter people are part of Dharma, but I don't know if they are. Ben has been in contact with people on the mainland, as we saw when Libby was brought to the island and we saw video of her sister (?) having given birth, i.e. the playground scene, IIRC. My question is why Dharma never caught onto the fact that their group was replaced by a second group of people who are no longer sending out regular reports (as I would have expected them to do--remember the big pile of pneumatic tubes from the TV hatch?). But Ben has been in some sort of communications, plus, Dharma has been sending regular shipments of food.

Anyway, it's great to have Lost back.

allen

NikeeGoddess
02-02-2008, 05:51 PM
Regarding coffin. Didn't the coffin look kind of small? If so, then whoeven is in there would be small of stature. Plus, it was in a black, rough part of LA. Whoever coffin-guy is, he is either black or might be from that part of LA.
this makes me laugh.

there really aren't any (cept for rose and she would have had people at her funeral) black people on the island anyway. walt is dead and michael, well he is black but i don't think he was ever poor or from east la. and his ex-wife might have attended the funeral.

J. Weiland
02-02-2008, 06:27 PM
Someone please send me a PM when it's all over and tell me if it was worth watching to the end.

Serenity
02-02-2008, 07:01 PM
Before this is all over and done with (47 more episodes and counting) I think that Ben will go down in the history of TV/Film as one of the greatest villains of all time.......

I actually agree with this. Mainly because he's a villain to *us*, but not to himself. He really doesn't see what he does to others as wrong. He's the villain who is convinced he is doing the right thing. Plus, he's played with such brilliant deadpan seriousness by Michael Emerson.

ChaosTitan
02-02-2008, 07:44 PM
walt is dead and michael, well he is black but i don't think he was ever poor or from east la. and his ex-wife might have attended the funeral.

Walt isn't dead. He and Michael sailed away at the end of season two and haven't been seen since. Except once in a hallucenation.

PattiTheWicked
02-03-2008, 01:54 AM
Rose is black. And Walt and Michael aren't dead... I'm sure we'll hear from them next season, when their boat hits the big glass dome they're all trapped in :)

childeroland
02-03-2008, 06:20 AM
If the Walt who appeared to Locke after Ben tossed him in the pit wasn't really Walt, and 'Jacob' can appear as Christian or Locke's dad or whoever, is it possible these could all be one being? Maybe it can only stray so far from the cabin or it found a way to slip its captor (if someone or something is holding it captive) for a short while.

ChaosTitan
02-03-2008, 08:42 AM
I pulled an interesting quote from a TVGuide.com interview (http://www.tvguide.com/news/lost-naveen-andrews/080131-01)with Naveen Andrews (Sayid).

MAYBE SPOILERS FOR LATER IN THE SEASON

TVGuide.com: Some may argue that seeing people alive in the future undercuts the dramatic tension, but just because someone gets off the island doesn't mean that's the end of the story.
Andrews: Absolutely not, no. You're spot-on.
TVGuide.com: For all we know, Jack proceeds to go back to the island after the flash-forward we saw.
Andrews: Yeah. And he certainly seems to be on the point of doing so!

PattiTheWicked
02-03-2008, 08:36 PM
A love interest for Sayid... wonder who it's gonna be.

I sure as hell didn't get a phone call.

NikeeGoddess
02-03-2008, 09:47 PM
my guess - the young woman with the baby now the charlie's outta the picture

Mjollnir13
02-03-2008, 10:28 PM

I taped it just to see the Oceanic commercial that was near the end of the show.

As for Lost, what an episode! This show just keeps getting better and better....damn writes strike! Well, when the 8 episodes are over, I am gonna crack open seasons 1-3 and rewatch them.

katiemac
02-04-2008, 06:49 AM
I had the idea that Ben was in the coffin, also. However, that was before we knew about the six -- but I could still see Ben leaving the island, for whatever XYZ reason. Jack is more distraught about the death than the person - and, knowing he thinks they were "wrong" to leave the island, I think Ben's death (who warned him they were making a huge mistake) would push him over the edge. If it's not Ben, then my next thought was Michael (who I heard will be back this season). I don't see Locke leaving the island, no matter what, although I had considered him a possibility. The coffin could very easily turn out to be someone we haven't met yet.

Right now, I think Jacob is Christian Shepard. When we saw the first glimpse of him, he looked to me like either Locke or Christian, but I think it makes better sense that it's Christian. Ben thinks Locke is special because he's in touch with the island, but really, I think Ben has the wrong person - Jack is the one they've been waiting for, he just doesn't have the faith to understand (until, perhaps, the "future"). Ben started to realize the island was special when he saw his dead mother there - and within the first 24 hours on the island Jack saw his dead father. There are more Jack/Ben similarities, although I can't remember them at the moment. If Jacob isn't Christian, I'm going with Jacob being Jack - because we all know that time isn't normal on the island. Also, Jack has more connections than anyone on the island, and many of those connections are through his father. (Ana Lucia, Claire, Sawyer, etc.)

Plus, have you seen this freeze-frame (http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2008/02/lost_who_was_that_in_the_rocki.html) of Jacob's chair from Thursday's episode?

I love that we'll get more of the mystery unfolding in the future - since it takes awhile for Jack to realize they were wrong in leaving, then it sounds like he'll discover some things off the island about it. This new guy who visited Hurley at the institution is totally intense - he might be rivaling Michael Emerson soon. In fact, Emerson's so good I was completely surprised he didn't win the Emmy in place of Terry O' Quinn, especially since most of their scenes were together.

sf.writer.mdk
02-04-2008, 02:19 PM
Like KTC, Season 4 Episode 1 was the very first episode that I had watched at the same time as the rest of the world. As exciting as it is, I'm sorry I can't put the next DVD in and get the next episode. I bought the first 3 season DVD's one right after the other. It was nothing for me to watch about 14 hours straight.

Now, I have to wait. I tell you, life just isn't fair : (

Celia Cyanide
02-04-2008, 10:55 PM
this makes me laugh.

there really aren't any (cept for rose and she would have had people at her funeral) black people on the island anyway. walt is dead and michael, well he is black but i don't think he was ever poor or from east la. and his ex-wife might have attended the funeral.

Michael's ex-wife is dead. That is the reason Michael got Walt back in the first place.

Regarding the coffin, I think it is unlikely that the person in the coffin would be anyone on the plane. Those who came back were called "The Oceanic Six," and became celebrities. There would have been people and press at the funeral. (ETA: Actually, Michael is a possibility, because if he made it back by himself before the rest of the survivors, he would probably not be one of the Oceanic Six.)

I think Ben is a possibility. Jack's sorrow and Kate's disgust would make sense. They hated him, and Jack was neither friend nor family. But Jack has decided that they were not supposed to leave the island. In other words, he realized Ben was right. So he went to the funeral.

In any case, the producers have said to ignore what you see on the news clipping, because it's not official, and was not supposed to be seen.

This is interesting, too...the man in the rocking chair in Jacob's cabin was Jack's father!

katiemac
02-05-2008, 12:24 AM
This is interesting, too...the man in the rocking chair in Jacob's cabin was Jack's father!

What's interesting is that even though the image is pretty indisputable, it doesn't mean that Jacob IS Christian (although I tend to think he is...), but it could easily be Jacob taking on the personification of Christian. Smokey the monster liked to pretend to be dead people, too, so who the heck knows what's Jacob's deal.

Oh eff: I've been doing a little trivia-digging, and it turns out that while he's sitting in Jacob's rocking chair, Christian is only wearing one white tennis shoe. In the pilot, among the wreckage is a white tennis shoe hanging from a tree branch. And, of course, we all know Christian's body is MIA.

Celia Cyanide
02-05-2008, 01:29 AM
What's interesting is that even though the image is pretty indisputable, it doesn't mean that Jacob IS Christian (although I tend to think he is...), but it could easily be Jacob taking on the personification of Christian. Smokey the monster liked to pretend to be dead people, too, so who the heck knows what's Jacob's deal.

Yes, you are right. The man in the chair is most certainly an image of Christian, but why? I tend to think that Jacob is NOT secretly someone we've already seen, but someone (or something) else entirely. In any case, I do not believe that Christian and Jacob could be the same person. Jacob seems to be very spiritually advanced, and Christian does not.

Oh eff: I've been doing a little trivia-digging, and it turns out that while he's sitting in Jacob's rocking chair, Christian is only wearing one white tennis shoe. In the pilot, among the wreckage is a white tennis shoe hanging from a tree branch. And, of course, we all know Christian's body is MIA.

Yes, and so is Yemi's. Yemi appeared to Eko and said, "You speak to me as if I am your brother. I am not." That most certainly was the actor who played Christian in that chair, but it might not literally be Jack's father.

Have you seen the Missing Pieces? There was one about Jack's father that really blew my mind. I am still not sure what to think of it.

katiemac
02-05-2008, 01:37 AM
Have you seen the Missing Pieces? There was one about Jack's father that really blew my mind. I am still not sure what to think of it.

Hmm, I'd thought I'd seen them all but I don't remember one about Jack's father. I'll go back and make sure I caught them all.

What's interesting about the missingbodies is that Yemi and Christian have both materialized on the island, yet Yemi was an embodiment of Smokey. It's unclear if Christian was, but I had assumed that the dead could materialize if somehow the body was on the island -- this is not the case as far as we know with Ben's mother, however. I wonder if Smokey/Jacob are the same thing?

Have you seen any of the new footage from the Find815 website, the video diaries? POSSIBLE SPOILER: (I guess the Maxwell Group is in charge of this freighter that "is not Penny's boat," but the Maxwell Group is a division of Widmore industries - which would explain why Naomi knows who Desmond is and had their photo, even if Penny doesn't know about it.)

katiemac
02-05-2008, 01:48 AM
Hmm, I'd thought I'd seen them all but I don't remember one about Jack's father. I'll go back and make sure I caught them all.

Oh snap. Just saw it. And was that Smokey in the background?

ETA: He has both shoes, though. I have to find the clip from Thursday and see what made others say he's missing one in Jacob's chair.

Celia Cyanide
02-05-2008, 09:15 PM
I certainly didn't see that. I don't even remember seeing his feet, to be honest.

In the mobisode with Jack's father, I found it interesting that he said, "[my son] has work to do," since Walt also told Locke he had work to do when he appeared to him in the pit. But it's really the WHO he said it to that is the most interesting of all. That "perspective" is one flashback episode I would love to see!

katiemac
02-05-2008, 09:18 PM
Right. This is just one extra reason why I think Jack really is more important to the island than either Locke or Ben might think (unless they've been speaking more to Jacob than we can tell so far). The "he has work to do" line got me as well - totally interesting. I wonder how long it's going to take for all of this to come out in the actual episodes. They should do a Vincent flashback episode on the island - that'd be great.

NikeeGoddess
02-06-2008, 05:20 PM
do you guys really think the writers even know who jacob is?
every season they bring in so much new stuff - previously from the past and now from the future (basically to keep the show going) - they might be still deciding who he will be and what power he will have.

katiemac
02-06-2008, 07:05 PM
every season they bring in so much new stuff - previously from the past and now from the future (basically to keep the show going) - they might be still deciding who he will be and what power he will have.

Sure. I've read interviews with the creators and while they may not have all the particular details straight, it sounds like they've known what they've wanted to do for awhile. It's one reason they put the end cap on the series - not only so they could appeal to the studios that they had X amount of story, but also to prove to the viewers that they don't want to mess around with filler episodes anymore. Plus, some of their finer details/twists play on a long build up (like last season's flash forward) and the clues are planted pretty well along the way.

Celia Cyanide
02-06-2008, 10:15 PM

Yes, I do.

And even if they don't, I'm sure whatever they come up with will be interesting and appropriate to the story. The theory that they are "making it up as they go along" doesn't really bother me, because even if I did believe that (which I do not), I enjoy watching it.

They basically made up Twin Peaks as they went along, and I still love it.

sf.writer.mdk
02-08-2008, 08:47 AM
When the embodyment of Jack's Father told Vincent to wake Jack, that he had "work" to do, it may have been as simple as seeing to the wounded since he was a physician. Or is that "work" his "Father" was referring to more general in scope, as in leading the survivors?

NikeeGoddess
02-08-2008, 07:22 PM
i like the new editions - miles is a great character. and did you notice zoe bell - the kiwi stunt woman with a real part (like in deathproof) i'm expecting some great action from her character.

ChaosTitan
02-08-2008, 08:06 PM
I like the new characters, too. Miles surprised me--in his flashback, I had him pegged as a scam artist. Turns out he does have the ability to communicate with the dead. That's prett darn cool.

The team's appearance, though, now begs the question: why do they want Ben?

And how awesome was Sawyer calling Locke "Colonel Kurtz?"

PattiTheWicked
02-08-2008, 08:59 PM
Yeah, I like Miles a lot, and the Dan Farraday guy is the Worst Rescuer Ever. And did anyone else spot the guy from Lawnmower Man as the grizzly ol' pilot?

My big questions after last night were along the lines of: why was it so important that these four people be the rescuers? And what's up with Naomi working with the not-really-from-Oceanic guy? She's the only one who knew what was going on, and now she's dead. And who's left on Not Penny's Boat?

Once again, Ben proves himself to be the man, because it took him all of 8 seconds to piss off Sawyer, and then it turns out he knows all about Narnia-named Charlotte S. Lewis, because he's got a guy on their boat.

The "Colonel Kurtz" line was great. So was "I dont know, Miles, how stupid ARE you?"

Complaints: No Desmond. Not enough Sawyer or Sayid.

chartreuse
02-08-2008, 09:31 PM
Absolutely fabulous episode last night.

LOL - Daniel Faraday. Got a good laugh out of that. For those who don't know, a Faraday cage is a container used to shield objects from electromagnetic field. Too bad the plane wasn't shielded with one, eh?

And what of that polar bear skeleton with the collar from the Dharma Initiative? Is it possible that that is the SAME polar bear that was shot early on in Season 1? No wonder the Others were so confident that Walt and Michael couldn't find their way back. Seems like the island must exist in a completely different space/time, with perhaps only a few "portals" where things/people can pass to the "normal" world. Remember how they had to put Juliette to sleep for her trip to the island? What is it they didn't want her to see/experience?

dragonjax
02-09-2008, 03:46 AM
Wait just a minute.

Harold Perrineau (Michael) had a credit on this Wednesday's episode. WHERE WAS MICHAEL???

dragonjax
02-09-2008, 03:52 AM
Dude. Okay, so the Lost folks were trying to get Harold Perrineau back for the season three finale, and he couldn't.

MICHAEL WAS SO TOTALLY IN THE COFFIN.

Michael is one of the Oceanic 6. He's going to come back to the Island (indeed, if he even really left -- he probably pulled a Desmond, and he and Walt are circling around and around and all).

That's my take.

childeroland
02-09-2008, 04:29 AM
Did the picture of Ben look 70's-era to anyone else?

Did the polar bear skeleton Charlotte found contain a bullet hole that anyone saw?

katiemac
02-09-2008, 06:16 AM
Harold Perrineau was credited in the first episode of this season, too, but again didn't appear. A friend of mine thought he might be Ben's "man" on the boat, but I can't think of any incentive he would have to continue working with Ben. Great twist, though--the photo of Ben didn't look like it would have been taken on the island.

Didn't catch a bullet hole in the polar bear, but the collar was from the Hydra station. The bear they shot in season one didn't have a collar.

I think it's great that the four teammates potentially have answers to everything we want -- electromagnetics, polar bears and the crazy ghost phenomena. Let's just hope Miles doesn't kick the bucket himself before he can shed some light on Jacob and the rest of the ghosties. Seems like they would have known they were running into Oceanic survivors, so why is the plane crash so hush-hush? Did someone plant the fake plane in the sundra trench?

I'd always had a theory that the pilot was in on the crash (the actor who plays the pilot, Greg Grunberg, also appears disguised in the Dharma orientation video as one of the DeGroots, and founders of Dharma). It kind of burned out once Desmond thought he brought down the plane with the electromagnetic energy, but now I'm pondering again that the plane was meant to go down.

DWSTXS
02-09-2008, 06:24 AM
Here in Asia it'll take a couple of months before we can watch it on the traditional tube. But it's great to know it's back despite the strike.
I also loved the way they changed to flashforwards in the last episode.

Watch it online for free! on ABC.com

katiemac
02-09-2008, 06:26 AM
Watch it online for free! on ABC.com

Doesn't work outside the States. :(

DWSTXS
02-09-2008, 06:27 AM
One of the best moment's from this week's episode was when Locke told Sawyer to go ahead and kill Ben right in front of his daughter...........looks to me as if Locke is learning from Ben...how to push people's buttons.........

DWSTXS
02-09-2008, 06:29 AM
Doesn't work outside the States. :(

Well, damn their hides!

Celia Cyanide
02-09-2008, 08:41 AM
MICHAEL WAS SO TOTALLY IN THE COFFIN.

Michael is one of the Oceanic 6.

It is possible that Michael is one of the Oceanic 6, and it's possible that it was him in the coffin. I think it is unlikely that it both are true. The Oceanic 6 are well known in the media. If one of them died, it would have been big news. There would have been a lot more press surrounding the death, and possibly at the funeral. It's not very likely that one of them could die and have no one care. If it was Michael in the coffin, he may have made it back another way, whereas the Oceanic 6 are the ones who came back with Jack.

After the latest episode, I think it's possible that it could have been Ben in the coffin. These people have come to the island for Ben. Before, it seemed improbable that Ben would want to come back to the US, but now we see that someone wants him. If they happened to also bring back Jack, Kate, Hurley, and others, Ben would not have been one of the Oceanic 6. He came to the island when he was a young child, and he probably has no friends or family left in the US.

katiemac
02-09-2008, 09:48 AM
After the latest episode, I think it's possible that it could have been Ben in the coffin. These people have come to the island for Ben. Before, it seemed improbable that Ben would want to come back to the US, but now we see that someone wants him. If they happened to also bring back Jack, Kate, Hurley, and others, Ben would not have been one of the Oceanic 6. He came to the island when he was a young child, and he probably has no friends or family left in the US.

I always had the feeling Ben was in the coffin, but I think this new episode ups the chances of it actually being him. That photograph--Ben never hinted at ever leaving the island once he'd gotten there as a kid, but who knows if he's left for periods of time or not. There's got to be more than one way off the island than blown-to-bits submarine. And it's looking more and more like people off of the island know about Dharma/the island than I originally guessed.

Now I'm more concerned with "what we did" -- ie., what Jack and co. did that they don't want getting out. From last night's episode, I wonder how badly they clash with the freighter folks, and just what they'll do to get off the island ...

Celia Cyanide
02-09-2008, 07:57 PM
I always had the feeling Ben was in the coffin, but I think this new episode ups the chances of it actually being him.

The reason why I think it does is because many people thought Ben would not have left the island. Now we see he may have been forced.

That photograph--Ben never hinted at ever leaving the island once he'd gotten their as a kid, but who knows if he's left for periods of time or not.

I was thinking about that, too. I also thought that the photograph did NOT look like it was taken on the island, even if I can't put my finger on why. He seems to have an almost phobic attachment to the island. Maybe he had to leave to go do something, the same way Richard did to get Juliet, but he never talked about it, because he doesn't like the idea of being away from the island. He told Locke was born on the island, for seemingly no other reason than he wished it were true.

If the photo was NOT taken on the island, I'm interested in finding out what Ben did when he went back, and why they are after him.

chartreuse
02-09-2008, 09:10 PM
Harold Perrineau was credited in the first episode of this season, too, but again didn't appear. A friend of mine thought he might be Ben's "man" on the boat, but I can't think of any incentive he would have to continue working with Ben. Great twist, though--the photo of Ben didn't look like it would have been taken on the island.

Didn't catch a bullet hole in the polar bear, but the collar was from the Hydra station. The bear they shot in season one didn't have a collar.

I think it's great that the four teammates potentially have answers to everything we want -- electromagnetics, polar bears and the crazy ghost phenomena. Let's just hope Miles doesn't kick the bucket himself before he can shed some light on Jacob and the rest of the ghosties. Seems like they would have known they were running into Oceanic survivors, so why is the plane crash so hush-hush? Did someone plant the fake plane in the sundra trench?

I'd always had a theory that the pilot was in on the crash (the actor who plays the pilot, Greg Grunberg, also appears disguised in the Dharma orientation video as one of the DeGroots, and founders of Dharma). It kind of burned out once Desmond thought he brought down the plane with the electromagnetic energy, but now I'm pondering again that the plane was meant to go down.

Either someone planted the fake plane (full of unidentifiable corpses), or it's the same plane, but it suffered two different fates - one ending up on the bottom of the ocean and one crashing on this mysterious island that's not on any map, and probably doesn't even exist in our "reality."

I had had similar thoughts about the plane (i.e., that it was "meant" to crash) and that the survivors were all part of some long-running experiment. That would explain why the numbers kept popping up in all their lives. The electromagnetic discharge that brought down the plane threw me too, but the fact is that even that could be part of a master plan - the same kind of plan that allowed Locke's life to be spared when Ben shot him only because his father had earlier stolen his kidney.

That's the beauty of this show - everything speaks to some larger order, some greater picture.

chartreuse
02-09-2008, 09:16 PM
I always had the feeling Ben was in the coffin, but I think this new episode ups the chances of it actually being him. That photograph--Ben never hinted at ever leaving the island once he'd gotten there as a kid, but who knows if he's left for periods of time or not. There's got to be more than one way off the island than blown-to-bits submarine. And it's looking more and more like people off of the island know about Dharma/the island than I originally guessed.

I had actually assumed that the photo was taken on the island - they have that whole network of cameras in the hatches and it's possible that someone just tapped into those once they were close to the island. Alternately, the guy that lived in that house and kept tabs on news from the outside world certainly had ways to send information back and forth - maybe he sent them a picture of Ben.

As for Ben being in the coffin, I kind of think that too, but if so, something is going to have to happen to change Jack's opinion of him, because Jack seemed saddened that no one else showed up at the funeral. Since we know that at some point Jack realizes he never should have left the island, maybe realizing Ben was right all along is what changed his mind about him.

DWSTXS
02-09-2008, 09:45 PM
10 things that I think I think about LOST:

1.) That was Ben from the 70's in the pic. On the Island....time slows down....therefore, when Walt comes back, he will be taller and older, because he left the island. While you're on the island, time slows down and you don't age. If you leave the island it catches up with you, immediately.
2.) The Island heals: If you have cancer it stops when you'r on the island......if you leave the island it comes back instantly at the growth rate that would have occured if off-island. Thus, if you had cancer when you came to the island, it stops. Let's say you stay on the island 5 years....if you leave the island, the cancer returns and it's 5 year growth rate occurs instantly....which would probably mean instant death.
3.) Anyone on the island for any length of time....say 5-10 years...woudl age that amount of time instantly if they leave. Therefore, Ben's people all would almost certianly die....since some have probably been there 20-30 years, or more.
4.) The Dharma initiative is also experimenting with time travel...

5.) We should NOT waste time guessing about who is in the coffin....I believe it could possibly be a character that hasn't even been introduced yet. Either that, or it's charlie.

6.) Richard is a key person to the island. He may be pulling more strings than we all realize

7.) I think they will leave the island, get to the ship....realize that something is wrong...and some will choose to go back to the island....only the '6' will go back to the real world.....after being warned that they cannot talk about the things they witnessed on the island

8.) Rousseau still has an important part to play in all this

9.) I thought that Vincent went with Walt....guess not.......either way....I think that Vincent 'knows' more than he's telling. Seriously. I think the doggie is a key to something , otherwise, why keep him around?

10.) The end. The ending, I believe, will have them all back on the island. All those left alive after it all plays out.

katiemac
02-09-2008, 09:55 PM
I had had similar thoughts about the plane (i.e., that it was "meant" to crash) and that the survivors were all part of some long-running experiment. That would explain why the numbers kept popping up in all their lives. The electromagnetic discharge that brought down the plane threw me too, but the fact is that even that could be part of a master plan - the same kind of plan that allowed Locke's life to be spared when Ben shot him only because his father had earlier stolen his kidney.

I wondered about the experiment angle for a long time, too, especially once the Swan station showed up and the Others seemed to know everything about the castaways. That sort of disappeared, too, when Ben said he wanted to know who was on the plane and everything about them--but then again, Ben is with the Others and this could still be a Dharma project (helmed by this creepy new Abbadon guy?). I'd thought for awhile that, since everyone seemed to have a specific reason for being on that plane, they had outside influences putting them on the plane. Claire's fake psychic is the biggest indicator; for awhile I'd wondered if Libby was in on it, having spent time with Hurley in the mental institution and giving Desmond the boat. Plus, she was a psychologist, and I always found that a bit iffy.

DWSTXS
02-09-2008, 10:03 PM
Katiemac - you mentioned the 'creepy new Abbadon guy'........and if you search, you'll find that:

Abaddon (Hebrew אבדון Avaddon, meaning "destruction"). In Biblical poetry (Job 26:6; Proverbs 15:11), it comes to mean "place of destruction", or the realm of the dead, and is associated with Sheol. Abaddon is also one of the compartments of Gehenna.[1] By extension, it can mean an underworld abode of lost souls, or hell.

In Revelation 9:11, it is personified as Abaddon, "Angel of the Abyss",[1] rendered in Greek as Apollyon; and he is described as king of the locusts which rose at the sounding of the fifth trumpet. In like manner, in Rev. vi. 8, Hades is personified following after death to conquer the fourth part of the earth.

Abaddon is one of the infernal names used in LaVeyan Satanism, and is first in the list—only as it comes first alphabetically—and means "the destroyer."

that can't just be coincidence right?

ChaosTitan
02-09-2008, 10:07 PM
3.) Anyone on the island for any length of time....say 5-10 years...woudl age that amount of time instantly if they leave. Therefore, Ben's people all would almost certianly die....since some have probably been there 20-30 years, or more.

That doesn't explain how Richard was able to leave the island, recruit Juliet, and then return again, without ever having changed in appearance.

DWSTXS
02-09-2008, 10:13 PM
Richard has the full knowledge of the secret.....and is able to come and go without ill effects. One or two others may also have this knowledge too. Ben? But Ben may not want to leave because he helped kill all of the Dharma-ites and they have a faction off-island that wants to kill him for revenge.

katiemac
02-09-2008, 10:21 PM
Abaddon (Hebrew אבדון Avaddon, meaning "destruction"). In Biblical poetry (Job 26:6; Proverbs 15:11), it comes to mean "place of destruction", or the realm of the dead, and is associated with Sheol. Abaddon is also one of the compartments of Gehenna.[1] By extension, it can mean an underworld abode of lost souls, or hell.

Yeah, I've seen all of this. And of course, nothing is coincidence! But I've heard a few more interesting theories about Abaddon that he may be Smokey--which would further the theory that Ben doesn't know what the monster is, yet Abaddon is out in the real world sending teams in after him. And if Abaddon is Smokey--he knows exactly what kind of team he needs and that they would encounter Oceanic survivors. Not sold on this theory, but it's an interesting one.

childeroland
02-09-2008, 10:28 PM
If Abaddon is Smokey with access to the real world, is it possible Jacob is a separate creature Ben keeps trapped in the cabin as the source of his power or to protect himself from Abaddon?

katiemac
02-09-2008, 10:36 PM
If Abaddon is Smokey with access to the real world, is it possible Jacob is a separate creature Ben keeps trapped in the cabin as the source of his power or to protect himself from Abaddon?

Could be one explanation why, if Smokey does have it in for Ben, it hasn't been able to do anything to him. Based on what happened to the pilot and the very nasty death of Eko, Smokey is dangerous. But it did have boundaries--I can't remember exactly, but wasn't there a line Smokey couldn't cross?

DWSTXS
02-09-2008, 10:38 PM
My theory of Jacob: 'Jacob' is a manifestation of anyone's psyche. I believe that he can be 'summoned' or seen by anyone who is scared, or crazy, or enlightened enough to mainifest him with their willpower.
I believe that only a few people on the island have even seen the cabin, which is where the spirit that is Jacob stays. Some of those who have seen it, have not been in the frame of mind to 'summon' their personal 'Jacob'...and to those, it just appears like an abandoned cabin.
Ben, Locke, and Hurley....all have the power, or enough psychological needs, to summon Jacob. I think that he is a manifestation that exists in everyone....and the power one finds in seeing Jacob...is in unsderstanding that....if one wants, desires something badly enough.....your will, your desire, and/or your supernatutal strength will 'cause' that something to appear.
Ben, and Locke want guidance, and/or answers.....therefore....at certain times, their psyche summons 'Jacob' and he gives hints/answers. Hurley was scared of being 'alone' when the others took off and left him...his fear, his 'will'....summoned someone....a la Jacob (or whomever it was that he saw in that cabin.

just my theory

katiemac
02-09-2008, 10:47 PM
So ... hmm.. is it possible that this whole series is the island versus itself? Smokey vs. Jacob? But Locke has seen them both.

DWSTXS
02-09-2008, 10:52 PM
So ... hmm.. is it possible that this whole series is the island versus itself? Smokey vs. Jacob? But Locke has seen them both.

well, it IS possible......after all.....every person has their own cross to bear. Everyone has one thing in their life that they must overcome in order to move forward.
The fact that Locke has 'seen' them both....just means that he is evolving within, psychologically, so that he can look objectively at himself from all angles.......he is beginning to 'understand'....and he is now becoming more and more, able to see the 'big' picture....just as Richard already does....and so does Ben too, to some extent.

just my opinion

DWSTXS
02-09-2008, 10:58 PM
I think....basically.....that the island acts in two ways.....one, internally, in which everyone on the island is brought to face their fears...and to face the ONE big issue in their life....and understand, and thus, overcome it.

two: externally....I think that time stands still on the island and because of that...all sorts of other things are possible. Time travel. Dead can be seen and talked to. The room in which, anything that one desires, that thing will appear. etc etc etc

kristie911
02-09-2008, 11:40 PM
Reading this thread is making me more confused than I was just watching the show. :)

Celia Cyanide
02-10-2008, 12:25 AM
10 things that I think I think about LOST:

1.) That was Ben from the 70's in the pic. On the Island....time slows down....therefore, when Walt comes back, he will be taller and older, because he left the island. While you're on the island, time slows down and you don't age. If you leave the island it catches up with you, immediately.

I'm not sure if I agree with this. They have been on the island for a few months, but for this theory to be correct, it means that in the "real world" years have gone by. We haven't seen any evidence of this yet. But we could learn that soon.

I don't know if that was really Walt who spoke to Locke. He called him, "John," and before he only called him "Mr. Locke."

2.) The Island heals: If you have cancer it stops when you'r on the island......if you leave the island it comes back instantly at the growth rate that would have occured if off-island. Thus, if you had cancer when you came to the island, it stops. Let's say you stay on the island 5 years....if you leave the island, the cancer returns and it's 5 year growth rate occurs instantly....which would probably mean instant death.

The island only cures certain people. Ben developed cancer on the island.

4.) The Dharma initiative is also experimenting with time travel...

I think so, too, and I think there may be some clues in this video:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=fByS5UvTuzc

5.) We should NOT waste time guessing about who is in the coffin....I believe it could possibly be a character that hasn't even been introduced yet. Either that, or it's charlie.

Carlton Cuse has confirmed that it IS a character we have already seen, as of the end of Season 2.

And why would it be Charlie? Jack already knows he is dead.

9.) I thought that Vincent went with Walt....guess not........

Nope. Remember when Shannon saw Walt, and she tried to get Vincent to help her find him?

either way....I think that Vincent 'knows' more than he's telling. Seriously. I think the doggie is a key to something , otherwise, why keep him around?

We now know from the Missing Pieces that Vincent "saw" Jack's father when the plane crashed. I would love to see a Vincent flashback episode.

katiemac
02-10-2008, 12:55 AM
I think so, too, and I think there may be some clues in this video:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=fByS5UvTuzc

Thanks for that. I'd heard of the Orchid video but hadn't searched it out myself. I love the hidden "God loves you as he loved Jacob" frame. And for whatever reason I find the bicycle really creepy.

At this point I think it's difficult to deny the time travel theory, especially with the polar bears. But I think Jacob is the bigger picture.

katiemac
02-11-2008, 03:06 AM
I think the last update on this was in 2007, but I was on the "official" DriveShaft website earlier -- seeing if they had updated it with any plane discovery information, which they haven't. But I thought this piece was interesting, given the season premiere. Very good chance this happens to be coincidence, though:

"There's this song Charlie wrote back in the bad old days. It's meant for piano, but I was never much good at that sort of thing. That was always Charlie's area." He smiles and takes a long drag of his cigarette before continuing. "Anyway, I had this dream not so long ago where he was back here, visiting, like nothing had ever happened. And he sang that song to Megan in my dream. So, I think he'd like that I'm kind of passing it on, yeah. It's sort of a saving grace."

katiemac
02-12-2008, 09:16 PM
Good post-strike news? From http://www.philly.com/philly/wires/ap/news/nation/20080211_ap_whendowegetourpoststriketvshows.html.

Damon Lindelof is eager for some answers. An executive producer of ABC's mystery serial "Lost," he should learn this week what his show's future holds as it closes out its fourth season.
"Lost" has been back on the air just two weeks. But the strike meant a planned 16-episode shooting schedule was halted after just eight episodes were shot. Fans braced themselves for no more this season.
"But we very much want to come back and do as many episodes as possible," said Lindelof, who then listed a few issues that first need to be settled.
"How many episodes can best serve our story? And what are the production realities?" He noted that the shooting facility in Hawaii, 2,500 miles from his Los Angeles office, had been shuttered since Thanksgiving. The crew has dispersed, the huge cast has scattered.
The first new post-strike episode of "Lost" could possibly be ready for broadcast the week after episode eight appears, he said. There likely would be three or four more after that.
Could there be even more?
"I'd be surprised if the network wanted to air episodes deep into the summer," he said. But if all the pieces fell into place, "Lost" fans would be blessed: "I don't see why we couldn't deliver all eight remaining episodes."
That kind of zeal should warm viewers' hearts. Lindelof and the rest of TV's creative community seem delighted to be back.
Almost as delighted as we are.

Toothpaste
02-12-2008, 09:45 PM
Awesome!! Fingers crossed for all 8! And honestly, do they really think LOST fans would mind watching the remaining 8 episodes into the summer?

katiemac
02-13-2008, 01:09 AM
Awesome!! Fingers crossed for all 8! And honestly, do they really think LOST fans would mind watching the remaining 8 episodes into the summer?

Nope! Really hoping they stick with the full run they wanted this season. I'd hate the see storylines shortened or shortcutted because of the strike. We'll be getting so little LOST as it is with only 16 a season. And with it not coming back until next January, what's the harm in letting it run through the summer?

chartreuse
02-13-2008, 01:32 AM
Nope! Really hoping they stick with the full run they wanted this season. I'd hate the see storylines shortened or shortcutted because of the strike. We'll be getting so little LOST as it is with only 16 a season. And with it not coming back until next January, what's the harm in letting it run through the summer?

I'm hoping they can pull out a full run, too, although I've suspecting for awhile that logistics would make this difficult.

A lot of the actors are getting attention and I'm sure many of them scheduled committments for the time right after they THOUGHT shooting would be complete. I think I'd rather they hold off than try to do quick rewrites to accomodate any cast members that may not be able to make it back.

(BTW, Matthew Fox is in the upcoming Vantage Point and I just caught Maggie Grace - ex-Shannon - in The Jane Austen Book Club on DVD. Naveen Andrews also has a small role in The Brave One, also recently out on DVD.)

childeroland
02-13-2008, 04:02 AM
I read somewhere (AICN, I think, can't find the link) they were shortening this season to 13 episodes.

sf.writer.mdk
02-13-2008, 01:16 PM
That's just Fantastic! And I'm not easily excitable. Even if they couldn't get the other 8 episodes in Spring or Summer, this Fall would suit me just fine.

katiemac
02-13-2008, 11:56 PM
According to the link from Entertainment Weekly I posted in "Post-Strike News," we're getting this season cut short by 3 episodes:

LOST (ABC)
CURRENTLY AIRING For 10 episodes
INSIDE SCOOP Lost will take a break in mid-March before resuming the next month; the 16-episode season arc will be told in 13 episodes.

It's better than 8, but I can't help but feel disappointed anyway. I'd hate to see the mythology shortcutted because they can't squeeze it before the season break. And what about those flashforwards? Not as much time to tell the future's story. Some characters are going to get shortchanged.

... Unless they picked up season 5 with 19 episodes to make up for it? Here's hoping.

childeroland
02-14-2008, 08:38 AM
Maybe they'll do mostly mythology and cut down on the filler.

katiemac
02-14-2008, 07:04 PM
Maybe they'll do mostly mythology and cut down on the filler.

That's what I was hoping, too, but then part of cutting down to 16 episodes a season was supposed to cut down on filler. I'm more disappointed with the flashforwards/backs they'll have to cut now that they have three less opportunities.

kristie911
02-15-2008, 06:40 AM
*****spoiler ahead - tonight's episode*****

Okay, tonights episode is only half over and all I can say is "wow!"

Hurley actually turned on Sayid and Kate? Holy crap...totally didn't see that coming!

And what was up with Faraday's clocks? Is that proof that there is something off with the time on the island or that it's actually in some sort of time warp?

PattiTheWicked
02-15-2008, 07:13 AM
Sayid.

Is.

The.

Shit.

That is all.

kristie911
02-15-2008, 07:16 AM
Sayid is the shit. I love him.

But he ends up working for BEN?! WTF? I can't wait to see how that comes to be.

childeroland
02-15-2008, 07:22 AM
Line of the night: "Great, the boat sent us another Sawyer."

My stupid DVR which hates me cut out right after the final scene between Sayid and Ben started. What was the gist of their conversation, and to what did Ben say "good"?

This show is kicking more ass than ... something that kicks lots and lots of ass.

Toothpaste
02-15-2008, 08:01 AM
Yes! Seriously can anyone answer what Sayid said at the very end of the episode that made Ben say, "Good"? I was watching it, and I couldn't understand. loL! The rest of the conversation was about how Ben was his boss, and he had a list of names to get through, and how Ben was using the fact that Sayid had been in love with someone (not the german girl) so that Sayid would work for him.

LOVING this season!! And so happy Sayid is working for Ben, because that means he ain't dying any time soon on the island (yes I am a fan of Ben's, he's awesome!)!

Toothpaste
02-15-2008, 08:11 AM
Okay I looked it up online, and it seems to be he said something like: "But they'll know I'm coming" or something. To which Ben said, "Good."

NikeeGoddess
02-15-2008, 10:02 AM
And so happy Sayid is working for Ben, because that means he ain't dying any time soon on the island
the way things are going looks like another 3 seasons. it'll take that long to get closure and plug up all the holes. ;)

chartreuse
02-15-2008, 07:11 PM
[quote=kristie911;2063809
And what was up with Faraday's clocks? Is that proof that there is something off with the time on the island or that it's actually in some sort of time warp?[/quote]

Here's what I just posted on another board:

I was watching the "enhanced" version of last week's (that aired right before this week's) and on one of the little pop-ups, they mentioned that the pilot (I think it was him) was named after the scientist that invented the concept of "spacetime." And then we find out that there is some sort of time discrepancy btwn the island and the outside world because of Daniel's experiment. Keep in mind that while according to his displays, the difference was only 30 minutes or so, the equipment Daniel was using hadn't been on the island very long at all (it was on the helicopter).

And then Sayid said something to the girl he killed in his flashforward regarding her pager/cell phone or whatever it was, something about her boss must not like the "new technology" or something like that?

Finally, Daniel made a point of telling the pilot he had to use EXACTLY the same coordinates to get back that they used to get there - and when Walt and Michael left, they were given specific coordinates they had to follow.

I really, really think now that we're going to find out that the island exists in (for lack of a better word), another dimension, where time passes at a different rate. There are ways to get to the island (perhaps akin to wormholes).

With that in mind, here's my theory on why only six got off the island: I believe that they will start ferrying people by helicopter to the boat. But something is going wrong with the passageway/wormhole (perhaps Locke sabotages it in some way - generates another electromagnetic burst or something). After the six had gotten off (and Ben is captured and forced to go along), the wormhole collapses and there is no way back to the island.

DWSTXS
02-15-2008, 07:35 PM
Well, I WAS proven right. My post last week, #111, I stated that time goes slower on the island than off.
We were shown last night, that there is a 31 minute difference. Now, whether that is 31 minutes total, or per day, or per hour, we will have to wait to find out.

Sayid plays a mean round of golf.

chartreuse
02-15-2008, 09:32 PM
Well, I WAS proven right. My post last week, #111, I stated that time goes slower on the island than off.
We were shown last night, that there is a 31 minute difference. Now, whether that is 31 minutes total, or per day, or per hour, we will have to wait to find out.

My guess is that when the Oceanic 6 return, it will be somewhere btwn three and seven years later than they expected.

As I pointed out in my earlier post today, the equipment that Daniel was using had only been on the island a short amount of time (since the helicopter landed). So the time "drag" had not accumulated much.

For instance (and just using this as a random example - not trying to be specific to the 31 minute time difference we know about because my brain is not that caffeinated yet), let's say that for every one minute that passes on the island, five pass in the outside world. The helicopter lands on the island, and five minutes go by. That means 25 minutes had passed in the outside world. So if Daniel does his experiment then, it shows a 20 minute time difference (25 minus 5). But if the helicopter was on the island for a day, then five days have passed in the outside world, and if Daniel did his experiment at that point it would show a four DAY time difference (5 days minus 1 day).

We don't know exactly how long the helicopter had been on the island before Daniel did his experiment, so we don't know the ratio of island time to outside time. But I'm guessing, since things did not look TOO different when the Oceanic six returned, that it won't be anything like 20 years (think of how different our world looked technology wise just 20 years ago). So that's why I say between three and seven - enough to be substantial, and disturbing to those who return, but not enough to require a bunch of new inventions to be made part of the story.

BTW, I have to say that I LOVE the character of Daniel, and they did drop an interesting bit in the "enhanced" rerun that followed the new show. They said that the woman that was shown with him, when he was sitting at home and crying over the news of Oceanic 815 being found, was his caretaker and not his wife.

DWSTXS
02-15-2008, 09:41 PM
also, someone from the rescue party said they'd been lost 100 days, and it is 70 days by island time. That's how I understood it anyway

childeroland
02-15-2008, 09:49 PM
From Lostpedia:

Ben tells Sayid that he has another name for Sayid's list. When Sayid expresses reluctance Ben asks him, "Do you remember what happened the last time you followed your heart?" and reminds Sayid that the work they are doing "protects your friends". Sayid explains that "they" know he is coming now, to which Ben merely smiles and replies, "Good."

I wonder if Ben is blackmailing Sayid or are Sayid and the rest of the 6 shielding the island survivors from Abaddon's people, given that Elsa and Naomi wore similar bracelets?

Claudia Gray
02-15-2008, 09:54 PM
Last night's episode was simply one of the most jaw-droppingly great hours of TV I've ever seen.

katiemac
02-15-2008, 11:27 PM
Just caught up--that was fantastic. I figured it when Sayid referred to a list and then when he told Ben on the island, "The day I start trusting you..." Still didn't want to believe it, though. Now I'm pretty certain Ben's the one in the coffin. The whole episode had a big Alias feel to it.

And I don't think the time difference on the clock proves that island time runs slower. It does show there's inconsistencies--I sort of got the impression the rocket would have sucked through some black hole or warp, which took longer to arrive than should have if the island/freighter were on a continuous plane.

ChaosTitan
02-16-2008, 12:06 AM
also, someone from the rescue party said they'd been lost 100 days, and it is 70 days by island time. That's how I understood it anyway

When Jack was talking to the helicopter pilot about the Word Series, Jack said he couldn't believe they'd been on the island for a hundred days.

Celia Cyanide
02-17-2008, 12:38 PM
When Jack was talking to the helicopter pilot about the Word Series, Jack said he couldn't believe they'd been on the island for a hundred days.

Actually, I think what he said was that it had been a hundred days since he'd seen a baseball game?

I just watched it. Crazy! I am with KatieMac on the coffin thing. We now know Ben did leave the island, and I still think it was him in the coffin. But I found it odd and interesting that he still looked so young.

NikeeGoddess
02-18-2008, 07:54 PM
yeah, they've been on the island 92 days.

i'm now thinking maybe Michael is the inside man on the boat. he was used by Ben before. and there was really no closure to his fate.

Celia Cyanide
02-20-2008, 02:25 AM
I hope we get a Ben episode soon. I am looking forward to finding out what happened to Annie, and that volcano.

katiemac
02-20-2008, 05:51 AM
Volcano? Brain refresh, please? Many thanks.

Celia Cyanide
02-20-2008, 08:36 AM
"Man Behind The Curtain." Ben is in class, and Annie is there. The teacher is showing them a model of a volcano, and Annie asks about the volcano that erupted on the island. The teacher said it was "a long time ago." On the audio commentary, the producers said that the volcano would be less important than Annie, but still very important.

By the way, does anybody have a guess as to who "Adam and Eve" are?

katiemac
02-20-2008, 06:30 PM
"Man Behind The Curtain." Ben is in class, and Annie is there. The teacher is showing them a model of a volcano, and Annie asks about the volcano that erupted on the island. The teacher said it was "a long time ago." On the audio commentary, the producers said that the volcano would be less important than Annie, but still very important.

By the way, does anybody have a guess as to who "Adam and Eve" are?

Yes, thanks! For a second I was trying to remember if we'd actually seen a volcano, but now I do remember the teacher's lecture.

I've been wondering about Adam and Eve for awhile. They would have arrived--well, died--sometime within the 1950s-60s, right? If I remember that's how Jack analyzed the bodies, which means they would have died before Ben and his father came to the island (?).

MattW
02-21-2008, 08:08 AM
Yes, thanks! For a second I was trying to remember if we'd actually seen a volcano, but now I do remember the teacher's lecture.

I've been wondering about Adam and Eve for awhile. They would have arrived--well, died--sometime within the 1950s-60s, right? If I remember that's how Jack analyzed the bodies, which means they would have died before Ben and his father came to the island (?).
Amelia Earhart is eve.

Celia Cyanide
02-21-2008, 09:16 AM

Lantern Jack thinks they are Gerald and Karen DeGroot. I wonder if they aren't "hostiles." It would have been before Ben and his dad got there, but I wonder how long the Darma Initiative had been on the island?

katiemac
02-21-2008, 05:37 PM
Interview (http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20179125,00.html) with Doc Jensen of EW and Cruise and Lindelof.

Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse tell Doc Jensen what they'll answer this season, how they're handling the time/space plot, what's relevant (or irrelevant) to the story, and more.

Read at your own risk! Doc Jensen always issues a teaser about a new episode the day it airs. I don't read these before I've seen the episode--there are never any direct spoilers, but sometimes he can be a bit overzealous with what he reveals.

childeroland
02-22-2008, 07:11 AM
So Aaron is the 5th Oceanic 6-er. (For awhile I thought Kate and Sawyer might have a child and that would be the fifth member.)

Guess that means Claire didn't make it off the island? Hopefully she's not the one in the coffin. Or maybe for some medical reason she can't leave the island.

Why is Kate trying so hard to keep Aaron out of sight, to the point of not letting jack testify and taking a deal her lawyer doesn't like?

Why is Jack so against seeing Aaron? Doesn't bode too well for Claire, if he knows she's his half-sister.

Why couldn't Locke find the cabin, and why does he seem so lost at sea now? If Jacob appeared as Christian, is it possible he/it's looking for Jack?

Remembering the psychic's prediction to Claire that Aaron cannot be raised by another, that is exactly what is happening now.

Why is Daniel having so much trouble remembering Charlotte's cards? Are the island's 'lines' not scattering right screwing whatever his abilities are? Then why not Miles's?

If Kate rescued 8, what happened to the other two?

Did Kate say only 8 people survived the crash?

Rolling Thunder
02-22-2008, 07:19 AM
So far we have:

1) Kate
2) Jack
3) Hurley
4) Aaron
5) Ben?
6) Sayid?

Does this mean Ben and Sayid are part of the Oceanic-6? Or are we being tweaked: because these two could be off the island, covertly?

kristie911
02-22-2008, 07:51 AM
I don't think Ben would count even if he does leave the island because he wasn't in the crash. So he might count as a "freebie".

Jack said under oath that only 8 people survived the crash and even said 2 died, leaving the Oceanic 6. Obviously he was lying because we know better but does everyone else die on the island or are they lying so the rest can stay on the island undisturbed?

Ugh...so many questions!

Toothpaste
02-22-2008, 08:45 AM
I agree. I don't think Ben counts either as he was never on the flight. But does Aaron? Yes he is a survivor, but technically (okay I know he was in his mom's belly) he wasn't on the plane. He wasn't part of the passenger list or anything. He could be one of the six, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were still two more out there.

katiemac
02-22-2008, 11:45 AM
Yeah, I'm not so sure Aaron counts. But we have Jack, Sayid, Kate and Hurely. Ben wouldn't count--too many people have copies of the flight manifest.

Does the "he'll be wondering where I am" line from the finale relate to Aaron, then?

kristie911
02-22-2008, 04:50 PM
Does the "he'll be wondering where I am" line from the finale relate to Aaron, then?

That's what I thought as soon as Kate said she had a son.

chartreuse
02-22-2008, 06:55 PM
So Aaron is the 5th Oceanic 6-er. (For awhile I thought Kate and Sawyer might have a child and that would be the fifth member.)

Guess that means Claire didn't make it off the island? Hopefully she's not the one in the coffin. Or maybe for some medical reason she can't leave the island.

Why is Kate trying so hard to keep Aaron out of sight, to the point of not letting jack testify and taking a deal her lawyer doesn't like?

Why is Jack so against seeing Aaron? Doesn't bode too well for Claire, if he knows she's his half-sister.

Why couldn't Locke find the cabin, and why does he seem so lost at sea now? If Jacob appeared as Christian, is it possible he/it's looking for Jack?

Remembering the psychic's prediction to Claire that Aaron cannot be raised by another, that is exactly what is happening now.

Why is Daniel having so much trouble remembering Charlotte's cards? Are the island's 'lines' not scattering right screwing whatever his abilities are? Then why not Miles's?

If Kate rescued 8, what happened to the other two?

Did Kate say only 8 people survived the crash?

Jack, I thought, said only 8 survived the crash - maybe the other two are Michael and Walt?

As for Daniel, according to the enhanced episode, he lives with a caretaker, so something's not right with him. Maybe some sort of progressive disease that is affecting his brain?

I agree that things look pretty dim for Claire. Maybe Jack causes her death somehow and only later, after he gets off the island, realizes that she was his half-sister?

We've got Hurley, Jack, Kate, Sayid and Aaron as the first 5 of the Oceanic 6. Any guesses on number 6. We're actually running out of candidates, as it has to be someone that was on the plane. We're down to Sun, Jin, Rose, Bernard, Locke (I can't believe he'd leave the island willingly, but it's possible he was forced to - if so I'm betting it's him in the coffin), Sawyer and Claire (not likely after last night). ETA: After reading the other posts, just wanted to clarify that I DO think Aaron is one of the six. No concrete reason there, just a feeling.

My guesses are either Sun (I think they were setting something up with that conversation she had with Jin last night) or Locke.

We also got more confirmation that time is passing more slowly on the island and it's immediate surrounds than on the "outside," with the helicopter (which, remember, would be moving much slower than the little payload missile thingie that Daniel used in his test) not having arrived at the boat even after many hours. And from the previews, it seems that passage to the "outside" is not an easy thing to traverse.

I love this show...

katiemac
02-22-2008, 07:21 PM
Jack, I thought, said only 8 survived the crash - maybe the other two are Michael and Walt?

Jack said eight survived the crash because Kate saved them. Then two died on the island, leaving the Oceanic 6. I'm less concerned with the story, since we know everything about that is a lie, but WHY they're lying. I'm also curious if they give names to the two people (ie, claiming that Sawyer and Charlie survived the crash only to die on the island, or if they're letting their identities go). But this is at least one reason why Hurley claimed not to know Ana Lucia.

I agree that things look pretty dim for Claire. Maybe Jack causes her death somehow and only later, after he gets off the island, realizes that she was his half-sister?

I'm wondering if Claire is still alive. If something went wrong on the island and they either forced Aaron away from her to keep him safe or she gave him up willingly but needed to stay herself. This does bode badly for both the "raised by another" episode (although the guy is supposedly a fraud) and Desmond's vision that he would see Claire and Aaron getting into a helicopter.

But I know nothing about babies. How old did Aaron look? Two?

chartreuse
02-22-2008, 09:57 PM
Jack said eight survived the crash because Kate saved them. Then two died on the island, leaving the Oceanic 6. I'm less concerned with the story, since we know everything about that is a lie, but WHY they're lying. I'm also curious if they give names to the two people (ie, claiming that Sawyer and Charlie survived the crash only to die on the island, or if they're letting their identities go). But this is at least one reason why Hurley claimed not to know Ana Lucia.

I'm wondering if Claire is still alive. If something went wrong on the island and they either forced Aaron away from her to keep him safe or she gave him up willingly but needed to stay herself. This does bode badly for both the "raised by another" episode (although the guy is supposedly a fraud) and Desmond's vision that he would see Claire and Aaron getting into a helicopter.

But I know nothing about babies. How old did Aaron look? Two?

I don't really know anything about babies either, and I was so thrown when she said "Aaron" that I really didn't pay much attention, except to register that it was more toddler-size than recently out of the womb size - I think your guess of two years old is probably pretty right on. Aaron was still pretty much a newborn on the island - they'd been there only about three months and Claire didn't have him for a little bit, so...Kate comes back with Aaaron and the rest of the Oceanic 6, there's a whole bunch of commotion lasting weeks or months, charges are finally brought, she's released for awhile, but then finally held over for trial...I think that him being two would math out.

I've been watching the enhanced episodes that air right before each new epidode - I'm going to have to pay more attention to what Jack said on the stand; I must have not caught it all. I don't understand why he'd be willing to admit that two died on the island but not the others - so far we've had Shannon, Boone, Libby, Ana Lucia and Charlie (and maybe others that I've forgotten), and there may be more to come. The only thing I can think is that it was just simpler, because if they started talking about their deaths they'd undoubtedly be quizzed on HOW these people died, and it would be hard to explain without admitting to the presence of other survivors - they'd have to come up with a whole web of lies.

katiemac
02-22-2008, 10:49 PM
I don't understand why he'd be willing to admit that two died on the island but not the others - so far we've had Shannon, Boone, Libby, Ana Lucia and Charlie (and maybe others that I've forgotten), and there may be more to come. The only thing I can think is that it was just simpler, because if they started talking about their deaths they'd undoubtedly be quizzed on HOW these people died, and it would be hard to explain without admitting to the presence of other survivors - they'd have to come up with a whole web of lies.

That's what I was thinking--keep it simple and nobody asks questions. There have been a lot of bizarre deaths/missing people on the island: Shannon was shot by Ana Lucia, Ana Lucia and Libby by Michael (who is curiously mia, but I suspect might end up being an Oceanic 6), Artz by dynamite, Steve (?) by Ethan, a drowning, Nathan by Goodwin, the marshall, Nikki and Paulo, Cindy plus the kids kidnapped by Others, Eko killed by the smoke monster, Boone was an accident and Charlie drowned in the Looking Glass. The majority of those are pretty difficult to explain. Also, if everyone thinks the others are dead they won't go looking for them. I almost find it more interesting that Jack said they landed in the water.

I'm guessing something Lord of the Flies goes down on the island (like another big murder) that they just don't want people looking into it. Not to mention if Ben/Locke can convince them that the island must remain unknown. What makes me curious, though, why they would agree to put all of the heroism on Kate -- so she could be free of prison, perhaps, and be able to raise Aaron? But this doesn't seem so good for the Freighter Folk--Miles, ever the extortionist, doesn't seem like he would play this game very willingly.

And all of this potentially going back to how Ben recruits Sayid--he's trying to protect all of them, but obviously Ben knows the truth.

chartreuse
02-23-2008, 12:13 AM
I'm guessing something Lord of the Flies goes down on the island (like another big murder) that they just don't want people looking into it. Not to mention if Ben/Locke can convince them that the island must remain unknown. What makes me curious, though, why they would agree to put all of the heroism on Kate -- so she could be free of prison, perhaps, and be able to raise Aaron? But this doesn't seem so good for the Freighter Folk--Miles, ever the extortionist, doesn't seem like he would play this game very willingly.

That's true, and we've been shown nothing concrete to say Miles (or Charlotte or Daniel, for that matter) makes it off the island.

Kate now knows that she is still wanted on numerous charges, so I guess it's possible that she said she wanted to stay on the island, but Jack, wanting her to come back with him, came up with a plan to spin her as the hero and convinced her it would save her from a prison term. And then the rest of the Oceanic 6 agreed to go along.

One thing that they haven't really touched on at all lately is the numbers - 4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42. If there have been recent occurrences of them, I've missed it. Anyone catch any? They came up so often, including being Hurley's winning lottery numbers, that I'm gonna be pretty annoyed if they don't explain what they mean and why they came up in people's lives so frequently.

JennaGlatzer
02-24-2008, 12:17 PM
Holy tomatoes. ""Hi, Aaron." I almost choked. They totally got me.

katiemac
02-24-2008, 09:39 PM
1) Kate
2) Jack
3) Hurley
4) Aaron
5) Ben?
6) Sayid?

Does this mean Ben and Sayid are part of the Oceanic-6? Or are we being tweaked: because these two could be off the island, covertly?

Sayid said in the opener of The Economist that he wasn't doing anything a for a living because he was the recipient of a large settlement for being one of the Oceanic 6.

Ben would only count if he took on a passenger's identity from his stash of passports. But I think it's more likely he's off the island himself--the news media were all over the six, and it's pretty clear that people off the island are after him.

I also think Desmond would leave the island, but he wouldn't count as an Oceanic 6 either.

kristie911
02-24-2008, 11:41 PM
I'm curious as to how Kate not only keeps Aaron but passes him off as hers. They're only on the island a few months...not long enough for her to have gotten pregnant and had a baby his age. She obviously wasn't pregnant when the plane went down. Maybe because of the time thing on the island? Have they been missing long enough for her to have had a baby? Maybe Claire is going to be one of the 2 that died after the plane crash (of the 8 that survived) and Kate allowed to keep Aaron? Seems odd but maybe.

katiemac
02-25-2008, 09:41 PM
I'm curious as to how Kate not only keeps Aaron but passes him off as hers. They're only on the island a few months...not long enough for her to have gotten pregnant and had a baby his age. She obviously wasn't pregnant when the plane went down. Maybe because of the time thing on the island? Have they been missing long enough for her to have had a baby? Maybe Claire is going to be one of the 2 that died after the plane crash (of the 8 that survived) and Kate allowed to keep Aaron? Seems odd but maybe.

I doubt she would be allowed to keep the baby, considering her legal background and trial. Post-island, I think they would have to pass off Aaron as her own son. Kate's mother also seemed under the impression that the baby was biologically her grandson.

I think it depends how long she'd been on the run ... she wasn't in contact with anyone before the crash, except the farmer and the marshall. The marshall's dead, and the farmer ... ? I don't know. It might be a stretch, especially if she was supposed to have been a superhero post-crash who saved everyone.

chartreuse
02-25-2008, 10:13 PM

There would only be a VERY small group of people aware that time was passing slower on the island. To the general public, the survivors' families, etc., they had been gone for years. So I don't think that would be an issue. However, I'm curious as to who she has said the father is.

Aaron was only a couple of years old in the fast-forward, so the only story that would work was that she got pregnant on the island. Since they said only 8 survived, that narrows the options. I doubt she would say it was any of the Oceanic 6, because then there would be a pretense to keep up. So maybe she's claiming it was one of the other two?

Celia Cyanide
02-27-2008, 12:20 AM
I agree. I don't think Ben counts either as he was never on the flight. But does Aaron? Yes he is a survivor, but technically (okay I know he was in his mom's belly) he wasn't on the plane. He wasn't part of the passenger list or anything. He could be one of the six, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were still two more out there.

I agree. I wouldn't think they would count Aaron. Especially now that we know he is supposed to be Kate's. From Jack's story, it sounds like they are not claiming Kate was pregnant on the plane, anyway.

Now that we know a little bit more about Ben, it seems less likely that it was him in the coffin. He is much more powerful off the island than we thought. Maybe it was Locke, after all. Jack would not call him a friend or relative, either.

NikeeGoddess
02-27-2008, 01:22 AM
i'm still holding -i think it was Michael in the coffin
don't ask me to explain why his Walt wasn't there thou

kristie911
02-29-2008, 07:09 AM
Uh, that was a very confusing Lost.

ChaosTitan
02-29-2008, 07:44 AM
I followed it pretty well. I love when the shows play with timelines like that.

The connection to the Black Rock was pretty neat. Interesting that (and I think I got the name right) Tobar Hansel was selling the ship's journal at auction, and that Penny's dad bought it.

And I have to say, I was terrified they were going to kill Desmond. I keep hearing rumors of a major character death coming up soon, so I'm on pins'n needles.

childeroland
02-29-2008, 08:02 AM
So it looks like three years passed on the outside, 93 days on the island. Kate's mother waited for her for three years, and Penny has been searching for Desmond that long.

I guess that means 'Oceanic 6' just indicates the 6 who got off the island, regardless of whether they were on the plane or not, unless Aaron is not one of the 6 after all.

Did Minkowski confirm the freight people work for Charles Widmore or all but imply it?

Did the page in Daniel's notebook remain the same at the end was the same both times or did it change into "If something goes wrong, Desmond Hume will be my constant" from "If something goes wrong, Desmond Hume will come back different."

Was the last name of the Black Rock ship's owner HANSO? Maybe he's connected to the guy from the orientation video?

I followed it pretty well. I love when the shows play with timelines like that.

The connection to the Black Rock was pretty neat. Interesting that (and I think I got the name right) Tobar Hansel was selling the ship's journal at auction, and that Penny's dad bought it.

And I have to say, I was terrified they were going to kill Desmond. I keep hearing rumors of a major character death coming up soon, so I'm on pins'n needles.

Serenity
02-29-2008, 08:17 AM
I loved the reference to being "unstuck in time". Nice little nod to Vonnegut and maybe (at least for me) Babylon 5. :tongue

ChaosTitan
02-29-2008, 08:21 AM
Was the last name of the Black Rock ship's owner HANSO? Maybe he's connected to the guy from the orientation video?

Hanso, that's it. Yes.

I didn't catch the Desmond reference in Daniel's notebook the first time around, only in that final scene.

Penny's statement about searching for Des for three years confused me a bit, because he was on the island months before Oceanic 815 crashed. So if Kate's mom also waited for three years (which explains how Kate can claim Aaron as hers), they must stay on the island a bit longer yet.

Urk, too much info.

childeroland
02-29-2008, 09:03 AM
Desmond seemed to be changing the future with his jumps, as the writing in Daniel's notebook indicates. Maybe his contacting Penny in the past led to her searching for him now, though if directions to the island are in the notebook Hanso bought at the auction her father might have conducted his own search anyway (assuming the freighter people are his)? If the freighter is Charles's and he's trying to keep Penny from finding Desmond, maybe she started conducting her own search after Desmond's time jump?

katiemac
02-29-2008, 10:16 AM
WOW. Just ... wow. That episode was fantastic.

The ship captain's last name was definitely Hanso, which makes me think Daddy Whidmore has invested interest in Dharma. Since Penny didn't send the freighter, I thought he mind be in charge of it since they had his picture. But if Daniel (who I completely love, btw) knew Desmond, then maybe he had a part in the photograph, if maybe he'd been in contact with Penny ...

I'm not sure about the three years ... Desmond was on the island longer than the others. Although I don't remember for sure, I think it was three years. So that makes sense with Penny's search. I don't remember the reference from Kate's mother, but wasn't that the first time they'd seen each other since her mother called the cops on her? Total time, including the island and after they returned, could easily be three years since Kate was on the run before and the trial would have taken a long time.

I love how Penny knew not to give up because he visited her in the past. Does part of this explain Daniel crying when he sees the Oceanic coverage on the news?

PattiTheWicked
02-29-2008, 05:21 PM
I absolutely loved that episode! I'm wondering if there's information in the Black Rock's ship log that we need to know about. Also, we know Desmond was caught between 2004 and 1996 -- what time was Minkowski going to when he got stuck? Because I'm sure we've seen him before, in a flashback or something somewhere...

And when Farraday in 2004 asked Desmond if he'd been exposed to high levels of radiation, he said no... but in fact it was Farraday who exposed him to it, in the lab at Oxford in 1996.

And the final scene on the phone with Desmond and Penny... that was magic.

chartreuse
02-29-2008, 06:29 PM
I loved the reference to being "unstuck in time". Nice little nod to Vonnegut and maybe (at least for me) Babylon 5. :tongue

And the basic concept is the same thing that happened to Picard in the series finale of Star Trek: TNG. He (or rather, his consciousness) was bouncing between three different time periods.

chartreuse
02-29-2008, 06:53 PM
WOW. Just ... wow. That episode was fantastic.

The ship captain's last name was definitely Hanso, which makes me think Daddy Whidmore has invested interest in Dharma. Since Penny didn't send the freighter, I thought he mind be in charge of it since they had his picture. But if Daniel (who I completely love, btw) knew Desmond, then maybe he had a part in the photograph, if maybe he'd been in contact with Penny ...

I'm not sure about the three years ... Desmond was on the island longer than the others. Although I don't remember for sure, I think it was three years. So that makes sense with Penny's search. I don't remember the reference from Kate's mother, but wasn't that the first time they'd seen each other since her mother called the cops on her? Total time, including the island and after they returned, could easily be three years since Kate was on the run before and the trial would have taken a long time.

I love how Penny knew not to give up because he visited her in the past. Does part of this explain Daniel crying when he sees the Oceanic coverage on the news?

Re: Daniel crying - yeah, I think it does, although remember, he said he "didn't know" why he was crying. I'm wondering if the reason he has a caretaker and was having trouble remembering cards is because he went on to play around with his device using himself as a test subject? Gotta say, I love that guy. I had a total girl hard-on for him last night. (Forget diamonds - talk to me about time travel, consciousness or quantum physics and I'll do any damn thing you want.).

I hope the episode is online; I want to go back and plot out the exact sequence of events. Did you guys notice that the calendar on the boat DID say 2004; in fact, it was in exact synch with the time that passed on the island. So I'm guessing that once Desmond traveled back in time, Daniel was able to, at some point, figure out exactly "when" the survivors thought it was, and he knew they'd end up on the boat. He didn't want them to be shocked so much time had passed, thus the calendar was placed to reinforce their belief.

I'm a little confused as to Penny. She wouldn't have started looking for Desmond until after the 8 years were up and he failed to call. So she's looking for him and doesn't know about the boat. Last night, when they said she'd been calling the boat, and hers was the one call they weren't supposed to pick up, I thought that she learned just enough from Desmond's trip to the past to set her on that track when she finally started looking for him. But then I remembered that Charlie had asked Penny if she was on the boat. However, that was "before" Desmond made his trip back.

Daniel said you can't change the future. And yet Desmond's trip back changed Daniel's own future. But from Daniels's perspective, nothing "changed," it just unfolded in a particular way.

I need more caffeine....

katiemac
02-29-2008, 07:44 PM
I absolutely loved that episode! I'm wondering if there's information in the Black Rock's ship log that we need to know about. Also, we know Desmond was caught between 2004 and 1996 -- what time was Minkowski going to when he got stuck? Because I'm sure we've seen him before, in a flashback or something somewhere...

And when Farraday in 2004 asked Desmond if he'd been exposed to high levels of radiation, he said no... but in fact it was Farraday who exposed him to it, in the lab at Oxford in 1996.

The actor who played Minkowski is Fisher Stevens and has a fairly large body of work. Very good chance you've seen him elsewhere, but I doubt he's appeared on the show before. He's pretty recognizable and it was somewhat newsworthy when he was cast to play the role.

I thought Farraday asked Jack if Desmond had been exposed? Jack wouldn't know, but Desmond was exposed to a large amount of electromagnetism when the Swan hatch exploded, hence his time-traveling to begin with. Seems like the cloud they passed through could have been electromagnetically charged, hence triggering a relapse. I wonder if Minkowski had been to the island before?

Re: Daniel crying - yeah, I think it does, although remember, he said he "didn't know" why he was crying. I'm wondering if the reason he has a caretaker and was having trouble remembering cards is because he went on to play around with his device using himself as a test subject? Gotta say, I love that guy. I had a total girl hard-on for him last night. (Forget diamonds - talk to me about time travel, consciousness or quantum physics and I'll do any damn thing you want.).

Yeah, it seems like his memory's shot. I wonder if he's been playing around too much with time travel, encountering Desmond, etc. Also, if Desmond's encounters with him are changing the future (the new writing in the notebook) then he wouldn't remember things until Desmond jumps on the island.

I'm a little confused as to Penny. She wouldn't have started looking for Desmond until after the 8 years were up and he failed to call. So she's looking for him and doesn't know about the boat. Last night, when they said she'd been calling the boat, and hers was the one call they weren't supposed to pick up, I thought that she learned just enough from Desmond's trip to the past to set her on that track when she finally started looking for him. But then I remembered that Charlie had asked Penny if she was on the boat. However, that was "before" Desmond made his trip back.

Re: bolding. Not necessarily. Penny knew Desmond entered the race around the world (he did it as declaration of love for her and it was Daddy Whidmore's race) and therefore she knew he went missing. I think she would have started looking for him immediately after he went missing, especially if he's time-jumped in any other instances after this one and knew not only did she need to find him but that she could. I'll have to find the boat race episode again because I can't remember how long Desmond claims to have been on the island.

But it doesn't appear to be that years have passed between them and the island ... Desmond told Penny he would call her December 24, 2004. She didn't seem to think that he called on the wrong year (unless the garbled static and her brief discussion of "research" had anything to do with that). They crashed on the island in September 2004 and a little more than three seasons makes a little more than three months (the producers had said awhile ago it was one month for every season, roughly one day an episode).

chartreuse
02-29-2008, 08:11 PM
Re: bolding. Not necessarily. Penny knew Desmond entered the race around the world (he did it as declaration of love for her and it was Daddy Whidmore's race) and therefore she knew he went missing. I think she would have started looking for him immediately after he went missing, especially if he's time-jumped in any other instances after this one and knew not only did she need to find him but that she could. I'll have to find the boat race episode again because I can't remember how long Desmond claims to have been on the island.

But it doesn't appear to be that years have passed between them and the island ... Desmond told Penny he would call her December 24, 2004. She didn't seem to think that he called on the wrong year. They crashed on the island in September 2004 and a little more than three seasons makes a little more than three months (the producers had said awhile ago it was one month for every season, roughly one day an episode).

This is exactly where my confusion is coming in. By island time, it WAS December 24, 2004. They crashed September 22nd just over three months had passed. The enhanced episode (last weeks) said that they'd been on the island 93 days. Daniel's experiment showed very clearly that there was a big difference in the passage of time between the island and the outside. And he admitted as much to Jack last night. So I'm willing to say that, for my money, we know for sure that time is passing significantly slower on the island.

There is no way that I can think of for that to be true, and for Desmond to have made a call on December 24, 2004 island time, and have that call be received December 24, 2004 "real" time.

I think that Desmond's call WAS late, by a few years. The Christmas setting was purposeful, to get people to assume that the call was on time. If the call was on time, wouldn't it have been more likely that Penny would have just picked up the phone and said "Desmond?" She would have been expecting it; but it seemed to me that she was truly surprised to hear from him.

katiemac
02-29-2008, 08:25 PM
This is exactly where my confusion is coming in. By island time, it WAS December 24, 2004. They crashed September 22nd just over three months had passed. The enhanced episode (last weeks) said that they'd been on the island 93 days. Daniel's experiment showed very clearly that there was a big difference in the passage of time between the island and the outside. And he admitted as much to Jack last night. So I'm willing to say that, for my money, we know for sure that time is passing significantly slower on the island.

Although I certainly don't disregard this as an option, I'm trying to figure out the time delay too. For now, it almost seems like island time and "real" time are the same, except that there's a bizarre incongruence between the two that causes the time delay -- almost like going through a worm hole to get to either side that is slower (or a weird cloud of electromagnetism that would trigger Desmond's time travel?), but the end time result is the same. That's how I viewed Daniel's experiment, not necessarily that time is passing differently, only that time is passing differently in between. It also explained, for me, that's how Desmond couldn't get away from the island even in his boat and why Michael and Walt would have to follow exact coordinates to get off the island, like Lapidus and the helicopter.

Still, I think it's very possible "island time" and "real time" are different, but by how much I can't say.

There is no way that I can think of for that to be true, and for Desmond to have made a call on December 24, 2004 island time, and have that call be received December 24, 2004 "real" time.

I think that Desmond's call WAS late, by a few years. The Christmas setting was purposeful, to get people to assume that the call was on time. If the call was on time, wouldn't it have been more likely that Penny would have just picked up the phone and said "Desmond?" She would have been expecting it; but it seemed to me that she was truly surprised to hear from him.

It depends on Desmond's relationship with Penny at the time, I think. Remember, if she had been searching for him for three years then I think it would be a mixture of surprise and relief that the call would actually come through. She doesn't know (at least we can't say for sure) she knows anything about Desmond's time-traveling. I don't think it's a stretch to say that although she would be waiting for his call she wouldn't be expecting it. She did admit to not knowing if he was even alive until she spoke to Charlie.

I think I amended my last post (or at least meant to) that Penny could have very well said something about the time difference during the garbled static. The only word I was able to pick up there was "research."

Grizzly
03-01-2008, 01:12 AM
When Desmond jumped back to his past conscious self, could he have left future memories hidden behind in his subconscious? And that's how he could see the future and knew Charlie would die and stuff?

childeroland
03-01-2008, 02:33 AM
Desmond's apparent precog abilities could be his own 'flash fowards' -- an intense kind of deja vu.

Did Penny mention how long she had been looking for Desmond during the Christmas eve call?

katiemac
03-01-2008, 05:06 AM
Did Penny mention how long she had been looking for Desmond during the Christmas eve call?

Yes, that's where the three years came from.

kristie911
03-01-2008, 06:07 AM
The doctor on the boat looked familiar...have we seen him before? The radio guy strapped to the bed did too but I think I've just seen him on other shows. But I swear I've seen that doctor in a flashback (forward?) at some point.

katiemac
03-01-2008, 07:05 AM
The doctor looked familiar to me too, but I can't figure out if I've seen him elsewhere or on the show.

Just checked, though, and Desmond indeed had been on the island for three years before making the call to Penny. So Penny saying she'd been searching for him that long makes sense according to "real time."

kristie911
03-01-2008, 08:08 AM
So I'm guessing time on the island is basically the same as real time but travel time to the island is what's really messed up?

Or am I totally confused? Quantum physics was never my strong suit. :tongue

Celia Cyanide
03-01-2008, 09:23 AM

I'm not so sure about this. I'm still trying to piece it together, but what Daniel said was that Jack's "perception" of how long they had been gone did not reflect how long they had actually been gone. I'm not sure what that means for the survivors, but it doesn't necessarily mean that they have actually been on the island for 3 years.

If it did, wouldn't that be weird? It would mean that time is actually passing in real time. In other words, they have been on the island for as long as we have been watching the show!

Since 8 years had passed, I'm not sure she would have been expecting it, necessarily. It was a strange request, and she probably wasn't expecting him to follow through with it. I assume that Penny probably knew Desmond had gone missing, and decided to search for him.

According to LOSTpedia, the doctor has never appeared before.

I am wondering about Penny, and that scene from season 2...those guys in the Arctic circle or something, playing chess? They see something on the computer screen about an electromagnetic anomoly, and they called Penny to tell her that they "found it."

And who is Ben's man on the boat?

katiemac
03-01-2008, 03:38 PM
If I remember right, Penny's researchers said they found "something." Not a big difference, but that's when the hatch imploded and they caught the large amounts of electromagnetic energy. They figured out the coordinates, which is how Penny's been able to send transmissions to that location--the ones the freighter is refusing to answer and the one Charlie heard.

I'm still going with Michael as the man on the boat, even going so far as to say we caught a glimpse of him in the last episode.

kristie911
03-01-2008, 05:58 PM
I'm still going with Michael as the man on the boat, even going so far as to say we caught a glimpse of him in the last episode.

I think Michael is the one on the boat too. But where did we see him? I might have to go back and review it on DVR. :)

NikeeGoddess
03-01-2008, 08:24 PM
i know it's excruciatingly fun to analyze this show but...

TANGENT ALERT!!!
one more reason to vote for hillary clinton. check out her #2 of her top 10 campaign promises http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_c6921tBK4

okay - as you were.

chartreuse
03-01-2008, 09:58 PM
I'm not so sure about this. I'm still trying to piece it together, but what Daniel said was that Jack's "perception" of how long they had been gone did not reflect how long they had actually been gone. I'm not sure what that means for the survivors, but it doesn't necessarily mean that they have actually been on the island for 3 years.

If it did, wouldn't that be weird? It would mean that time is actually passing in real time. In other words, they have been on the island for as long as we have been watching the show!

Yeah, the latest episode has, for the moment, made me a little less sure about the time issue. There is still a lot of good evidence - Daniel's experiment, the issue with the helicopter taking so long to reach the boat, Sayid's remark in one of his flash forwards about "new technology" - that really seems to say that time was passing slower on the island. But some things about the latest episode don't seem to quite fit with that.

I still like the idea though. That was the same thing that happened in Spin by Robert Charles Wilson. In that book, an unknown alien intelligence placed what was basically a shield around the earth, and from that point on time passed MUCH slower on earth, so much so that the rest of the galaxy aged significantly, and the habitability of earth was at issue. Eventually the alients built a giant arch in the ocean that was a passageway to a different world.

The way that I'm thinking of this now is that up until the point that we saw Desmond make contact with Daniel (in 1996), that was one sequence of events - call it Timeline A. Once he made contact, there was a new timeline in place - Timeline B. So the question becomes, does Timeline A still exist somewhere else, like in a parallel universe? Or is it impossible for Desmond to make any real changes to what has occured? We did see some evidence that SOMETHING had changed - if Desmond had never hunted down Daniel in 1996, Desmond's name wouldn't have been in Daniel's notebook.

Daniel said you can't change the future. I find this remark interesting - I read an article in the last couple years that said scientists have figured out that this is true, that the way the universe works on a quantum level, even if you traveled back in time with the intent of killing your own grandfather, that something would happen and you'd keep missing him, or your weapon woudn't discharge, or whatever. Basically the idea is that events that would contradict the things that have already happened aren't allowed to occur. But again, at least some small things DID change.

I don't even know where I'm going with this - I have to watch the episode again and think about it some more.

katiemac
03-02-2008, 02:34 AM
The way that I'm thinking of this now is that up until the point that we saw Desmond make contact with Daniel (in 1996), that was one sequence of events - call it Timeline A. Once he made contact, there was a new timeline in place - Timeline B. So the question becomes, does Timeline A still exist somewhere else, like in a parallel universe? Or is it impossible for Desmond to make any real changes to what has occured? We did see some evidence that SOMETHING had changed - if Desmond had never hunted down Daniel in 1996, Desmond's name wouldn't have been in Daniel's notebook.

I read an interview with Lindelof and Cruise where they said they're staying away from multiple timelines. In short, it's too confusing when paradoxes are introduced and threat levels for characters don't become as dramatic or significant. So whatever happens is it.

Re: Michael in the last episode. Check out when Sayid gets off the helicopter. Someone in the captain's cabin is holding up a pair of binoculars.

kristie911
03-02-2008, 05:47 AM
Re: Michael in the last episode. Check out when Sayid gets off the helicopter. Someone in the captain's cabin is holding up a pair of binoculars.

OH! You're right! I saw the person but didn't pay attention. I'll have to go back and look a little closer.

*Fires up the DVR*

JennaGlatzer
03-02-2008, 06:00 AM
Well? Well? Is it him? It's been 12 minutes since you posted. Watch faster! ;)

kristie911
03-02-2008, 07:30 AM
Geez, sorry! I had internet issues.

I watched the episode again and I'd stake my life on the fact that it wasn't Michael in with the binoculars. They gave us a pretty good look at him and I'm going to say it was a white guy wearing a stocking hat. Definitely didn't look like Michael.

Celia Cyanide
03-02-2008, 10:42 PM
I think Michael is the one on the boat too. But where did we see him? I might have to go back and review it on DVR. :)

If Michael is Ben's man on the boat, how do you reckon he got on there? The people on the boat probably wouldn't know he was one of the survivor's of Oceanic Flight 815, or they would have mentioned him to Sayid as soon as they got there.

MattW
03-03-2008, 03:01 AM
All the time travel stuff is just a big ruse to explain why Walt is 6 feet tall with a beard when he reappears next season.

Celia Cyanide
03-06-2008, 08:11 PM
Does anyone want to try to answer the question before tonight? If it's Michael, how did he get on the boat, and who do the other people think he is?

PattiTheWicked
03-06-2008, 09:10 PM
It's entirely possible that when Michael and Walt took off in the sailboat, they were picked up by the freighter. This makes me wonder what exactly Ben offered Michael or said to him. And the freighter guys may not have any idea who the people on 815 were, other than the ones they've spoken to via SatPhone.

I still think we need to see an episode with Vincent flashbacks. He knows all kinds of stuff he hasn't told us.

And I've come to the conclusion that if anything happens to Sayid, the entire rest of the castaways are screwed. I'm so glad we saw him in flash forwards.

Celia Cyanide
03-06-2008, 09:22 PM
It's entirely possible that when Michael and Walt took off in the sailboat, they were picked up by the freighter. This makes me wonder what exactly Ben offered Michael or said to him. And the freighter guys may not have any idea who the people on 815 were, other than the ones they've spoken to via SatPhone.

They would not have before, but they do know now. If they did pick up Michael and Walt, I have to wonder what they told them about what they were doing in the ocean. If Michael was there, and they knew who he was, wouldn't they tell Sayid that they have one of his people with them?

I thought Annie might be Ben's "man on the boat."

kristie911
03-06-2008, 09:27 PM
I thought Annie might be Ben's "man on the boat."

Which one was Annie? (I get so damned confused! :) )

Celia Cyanide
03-06-2008, 09:31 PM
Which one was Annie? (I get so damned confused! :) )

The little girl who carved the doll for Ben. The producers have said that she is going to be very important, and she obviously means a lot to him. We will probably find out about her during a "Ben episode," but I'm guessing that will be one of the last episodes of the season. Just because Ben episodes are wicked awesome.

chartreuse
03-06-2008, 11:15 PM
It's entirely possible that when Michael and Walt took off in the sailboat, they were picked up by the freighter.

Michael and Walt left at the end of Season 1, correct? I'm thinking that the timing doesn't work out right - they would have been long gone before the boat took off on its mission. When Naomi was talking to the guy that visited Hurley in the hospital, he made it sound like it would be a very brief excursion.

What could have happened, though, is that Ben (who, based on all the passports and money and stuff he has, can and does leave the island repeatedly) intercepted Michael when he got to wherever it was Ben sent him, found a way to convince Michael to cooperate, and then planted Michael on the boat as a crew person or something.

TemlynWriting
03-06-2008, 11:18 PM
Does anyone want to try to answer the question before tonight? If it's Michael, how did he get on the boat, and who do the other people think he is?

I read this from TV Guide (http://www.tvguide.com/ask-ausiello)'s website:

Question: Who is the "friend" on the freighter?
Ausiello: Little tip: Stop asking who, and start asking how.

Someone mentioned Annie. That would be pretty incredible, and make you wonder "How? Whaaa?" Of course, I have no idea, but with that little hint I'm not sure if I think it's Michael anymore...

katiemac
03-06-2008, 11:24 PM
We probably won't get a chance to figure that out tonight, either (unless it's revealed as our last-minute cliffhanger). Since we spent last week on the freighter, I'm guessing we'll be spending the majority of this episode back on the beach.

EW.com is updated again with info from tonight's episode, which I haven't checked out, but if you scroll down to the bottom of the first page there's an interview with Lindelof (or Cruise??) about last week's episode and what exactly was going on with Desmond. Note, for instance, that while Desmond's past-self was doing to time jump (1996 Desmond was on the freighter), present-day Minkowski was then one time-jumping.

Anyway, I plan on skipping class tonight to catch the repeat and tonight's new episode. (I was so disappointed ... I originally scheduled my classes so that they wouldn't interfere with a Wednesday night Lost, but they tricked me!!)

chartreuse
03-06-2008, 11:36 PM
I read this from TV Guide (http://www.tvguide.com/ask-ausiello)'s website:

Someone mentioned Annie. That would be pretty incredible, and make you wonder "How? Whaaa?" Of course, I have no idea, but with that little hint I'm not sure if I think it's Michael anymore...

Hmmm....not sure about Annie one way or the other (I don't remember a lot about her, to be honest), but here's a thought...maybe Jack's dad?

Yes, yes, I know, he's supposed to be dead. But in Jack's flash forward, he said something about "go and get my father down here right now and we'll see if he's drunker than I am."

If it was him on the boat, I'd definitely be wondering WTH....

Celia Cyanide
03-07-2008, 03:52 AM
Michael and Walt left at the end of Season 1, correct? I'm thinking that the timing doesn't work out right - they would have been long gone before the boat took off on its mission. When Naomi was talking to the guy that visited Hurley in the hospital, he made it sound like it would be a very brief excursion.

I hadn't thought of that, but that's a very good point. Michael left 2 months ago, at least on island time. And in regular time, it was possibly even longer. It doesn't sound like the freighter trip has taken that long.

What could have happened, though, is that Ben (who, based on all the passports and money and stuff he has, can and does leave the island repeatedly) intercepted Michael when he got to wherever it was Ben sent him, found a way to convince Michael to cooperate, and then planted Michael on the boat as a crew person or something.

Yes, I think that whoever it is, s/he probably would have been there from the beginning. If they found Michael in his boat with Walt, they may have picked him up. (It seems they aren't all selfish jerks like Miles.) But then he wouldn't make a very good spy. Why would they reveal pertainent information to a stranger they just met in the middle of the ocean? They would have no way of verifying anything he said, and no real reason to trust him.

Celia Cyanide
03-07-2008, 04:02 AM
Hmmm....not sure about Annie one way or the other (I don't remember a lot about her, to be honest), but here's a thought...maybe Jack's dad?

Yes, yes, I know, he's supposed to be dead. But in Jack's flash forward, he said something about "go and get my father down here right now and we'll see if he's drunker than I am."

I read an interview with Matthew Fox, and he implied very strongly that Jack only said that because he was wasted. But I think it was done deliberately to make people think Jack's father is alive. There is certainly something up with him.

But yeah...it would make you go "HOW...???"

If the question is "how" and not "who," maybe it's someone we haven't seen? Perhaps it will come out when we know more about what Ben has been doing off the island.

kristie911
03-07-2008, 05:53 AM
If the question is "how" and not "who," maybe it's someone we haven't seen? Perhaps it will come out when we know more about what Ben has been doing off the island.

Crap. Just what I'd need...more frickin' people to remember. I can't remember everyone now. Whenever I talk to someone about the show it's always, "You know the tall guy from the boat." or "the blonde guy from the Others"...I never remember anyones actual names. *sigh*

I wish I wasn't so darned addicted to the show so I could quit watching...it's not entertainment anymore, it's homework! :)

childeroland
03-07-2008, 06:03 AM
Desmond's situation sorta reminds me of Roland the Gunslinger's in Drawing of the Three. I know The Stand is supposed to be an influence on Lost, but have any of the producers mentioned the Tower series as one also? Ben strikes me as a Randall Flagg without the charm (but with his power to persuade) and Jack as a Roland without the gunslinger's sense of purpose. Lost's use of numbers even resembles King's use of '19' in the books.

katiemac
03-07-2008, 07:34 AM
I read an interview with Matthew Fox, and he implied very strongly that Jack only said that because he was wasted. But I think it was done deliberately to make people think Jack's father is alive. There is certainly something up with him.

I think I saw the interview you're referring to. Although I believe Jack would have said that because he is wasted, don't forget that Matthew Fox and others don't have a clue what's going on, either, until they get the script. So that's Fox's speculation and doesn't necessarily mean it's the direction the creators will go.

After this new episode I'm sticking by Michael as the man on the boat. I can't think of anyone else Ben would have said "maybe you should sit down for this." Oh well, if it isn't right I can rest knowing that at least my Daddy Whidmore theory was on track.

All in all, a bit disappointed in this episode although I tend to dislike Juliet and Kate-centric episodes anyway. What's up with Jack--two or three island days ago he tells Kate he loves her, now he's kissing Juliet in front of the gas hatch?

childeroland
03-07-2008, 07:43 AM
Even in pathetic stalker crush mode, Ben is the most awesome thing on the show next to Sayid, though Faraday is a close second.

PattiTheWicked
03-07-2008, 05:38 PM
My daughter and I have a game we play during LOST. If Kate gets snuck up on, or she falls down, we go get a snack.

Ben Linus is the man. I *loved* the scene with him and Locke, where Locke brought up the $3.2M, Ben looked startled for about half a second, and then was right back on his game.

And I'm *really* beginning to like Farraday -- I hope he doesn't get killed.

Oh, and in the preview for next week, they showed Sayid coming face to face with someone on the boat. From the profile and hair -- it's TOTALLY Michael... or maybe a grown up Walt.

katiemac
03-07-2008, 06:42 PM
Even in pathetic stalker crush mode, Ben is the most awesome thing on the show next to Sayid, though Faraday is a close second.

I was *thisclose* to going all "aww, poor Ben" when he made that dinner for Juliet--he was so giddy the whole time.

But I'm curious who the "she" is that Juliet looks like--Annie or Ben's mother? Remember when Ben told Jack he picked Juliet to convince Jack about the surgery because she looked so much like Sarah?

Also, I found it interesting that when they were in the woods with Harper, both Jack and Juliet could hear the voices. Was Harper dead? And when will Richard come back?!

chartreuse
03-07-2008, 07:11 PM

I agree. I absolutely loved it when Ben came out at the end carrying fresh linens, with that little smirk on his face.

Note to producers: YOU SUCK!! How DARE you tease us like that with the man on the boat thing 20 minutes before the end of the show and then not reveal who it is. I think that my howl of outrage could be heard all the way down the block.

I enjoyed the episode quite a bit. It was a nice break. If they had followed up last week's with another reality-bending mind f*ck, I think I might have had an aneurysm. At least now we know what Ben's weakness is: Juliette. I think that's going to be important as the events of the next hours/episodes play out.

I thought it was great when Locke told Ben about the 3.2 million and then handed him a dollar.

katiemac
03-07-2008, 08:00 PM
New theory, but not one I can take credit for: The "sickness" Rousseau mentioned way back in season one is the time-jump disorientation that Desmond and Minkowski experienced. When I rewatched last week's episode before the new one aired last night, it almost seemed like whatever medication the docor injected in Minkowski could have been something similiar (but obviously unsuccessful) to whatever injections Desmond was giving himself regularly when he was in the hatch. I don't remember, but when they brought Juliet to the island did they give her something similiar?

childeroland
03-07-2008, 09:50 PM
I'm thinking it's Annie and that Annie might have died in childbirth on the island, which would make Ben's recruiting Juliet oddly appropriate (for a psychotic) but if you wanna be Freudian about it, it could be both. Maybe Ben was attracted to Annie in the first place because she reminded him of his mother.

I wonder how Ben could have communicated to Harper what Harper said Ben wanted of Juliet. Was Harper the smoke monster and/or Jacob, or could the time distortions have been harnessed to teleport the real Harper in and out of Juliet/Jack's sight and the whispers are a side effect of that?

I was *thisclose* to going all "aww, poor Ben" when he made that dinner for Juliet--he was so giddy the whole time.

But I'm curious who the "she" is that Juliet looks like--Annie or Ben's mother? Remember when Ben told Jack he picked Juliet to convince Jack about the surgery because she looked so much like Sarah?

Also, I found it interesting that when they were in the woods with Harper, both Jack and Juliet could hear the voices. Was Harper dead? And when will Richard come back?!

PattiTheWicked
03-07-2008, 11:01 PM
Here's a thought. This whole time/jump thing between the island and the freighter has got me thinking.

What if Sayid is actually Ben's man on the boat? Perhaps Desmond and Minkowski aren't the only people who can be two places/times at once... and it would certainly explain why in Sayid's flash forward a couple of weeks ago, he's meeting up with Ben.

And then, what is the connection between Farraday, Miles and Charlotte and the rest of the people on the island -- why were THEY chosen by Naomi's boss (Daddy Widmore) for the mission? Are they somehow connected to some of the castaways, or some of the others?

And where are Zach and Emma now?

DWSTXS
03-07-2008, 11:10 PM
I was burning mad when Ben told Locke that he was about to tell him who 'his man on the boat' was, then they cut away to commercial.

Still though, I KNOW it's Michael.

katiemac
03-07-2008, 11:48 PM
Here's a thought. This whole time/jump thing between the island and the freighter has got me thinking.

What if Sayid is actually Ben's man on the boat? Perhaps Desmond and Minkowski aren't the only people who can be two places/times at once... and it would certainly explain why in Sayid's flash forward a couple of weeks ago, he's meeting up with Ben.

I thought about this, too, with many possibilities--the man on the boat is Locke or Sayid or somebody we know--but then, do the jumpers REALLY occupy two places at once? The way Farraday explained it, the consciousness is what jumps ... Minkowski's body stayed in the same time frame but only the mind jumped ... IF someone like Sayid or Locke went back in time, wouldn't they be occupying the body they have in 2004? And we know where they've been this whole time, and it wasn't on the freighter.

And then, what is the connection between Farraday, Miles and Charlotte and the rest of the people on the island -- why were THEY chosen by Naomi's boss (Daddy Widmore) for the mission? Are they somehow connected to some of the castaways, or some of the others?

And where are Zach and Emma now?

I'm becoming more and more interested in Farraday. He's got more up his sleeve than super-physics and time travel. There's something about his memory. First, the card experiment with Charlotte. Then, in during "The Constant," Desmond asks Farraday in 1996 if it's possible he would have forgotten their initial Eloise meeting. Farraday scoffs and says something like, "Right, that could never happen." At first you'd think it wouldn't be about meeting someone who time-travelled, but I don't know ... Something about his memory is important and maybe be separate from his time travel knowledge (or not).

I want to know how Daddy Widmore knows so much about the island! Maybe the static during Penny and Desmond's phone call (where they only word I could hear was "research") Penny tells him her dad is doing the reserach? And the fact that Widmore wanted Desmond away from Penny and Desmond got on the island from Widmore's race ... coincidence, or was it planned? Did Widmore know about the island before Desmond arrived or did he stumble across interesting research because Desmond went missing?

Celia Cyanide
03-08-2008, 11:07 AM
I think I saw the interview you're referring to. Although I believe Jack would have said that because he is wasted, don't forget that Matthew Fox and others don't have a clue what's going on, either, until they get the script. So that's Fox's speculation and doesn't necessarily mean it's the direction the creators will go.

He did have somewhat of a clue about this, however. He said he had discussed it with the producers, and they told him that they wrote it that way because they had seen highly intoxicated people refer to dead people as if they forgot they were dead. I think it was intended to make people believe it was a flash back and not a flash forward.

I really liked the way the episode began...Juliet talking about how she didn't like being treated like a celebrity...for a minute I thought it was a flash forward, and I was like "huh? is she one of the Oceanic 6 now?"

When Harper said, "you look just like her," the first one I thought of was Annie, and I wonder what happened to her. Perhaps she died in the purge.

If Michael is the man on the boat, I hope there is an interesting story behind it.

The episodes seem so short now. They are moving so fast!

JacobWorld
03-09-2008, 05:23 AM
What I dont like about series is thay consume so much time

childeroland
03-09-2008, 11:02 PM
Are we sure it was Ben who sent Harper or whatever that was to sic Juliet on Faraday and Charlotte in the Tempest? Maybe Smoky and or Jacob knew what Charlotte and Faraday were really up to and disguised itself as Harper to trick Juliet into stopping them because it wants everyone off its island.

chartreuse
03-09-2008, 11:43 PM
Are we sure it was Ben who sent Harper or whatever that was to sic Juliet on Faraday and Charlotte in the Tempest? Maybe Smoky and or Jacob knew what Charlotte and Faraday were really up to and disguised itself as Harper to trick Juliet into stopping them because it wants everyone off its island.

Well, I thought Harper said that Ben had sent her, but if what you're getting at is that maybe it wasn't Harper at all...I don't know. It is hard to figure out how Ben could have been communicating with anyone, given that he was being held hostage by Locke.

NikeeGoddess
03-10-2008, 12:21 AM
i agree. how could ben communicate with his people?
the only solution: he's got another mole in locke's camp.
i now believe even stronger that it's michael on the boat. michael and walt left the island on a small boat. did ben tell them which direction to go? it doesn't matter. if he had the problems that the helicopter had with the coordinates and timing dilemma then he probably got picked up by the boat.
and walt is still back on the island. remember how locke saw him and later said it was walt but an older, taller walt?

Celia Cyanide
03-10-2008, 01:55 AM

That is what I wondered. When I first saw Harper speaking to Juliet, I thought Harper was not real. I thought it was like the time Eko thought he saw his brother. I was surprised that Jack could see her. But I don't know if that necessarily means it was really her. The question is, if that WAS the smoke monster, why would it ask Juliet to stop Charlotte and Daniel? Their boss has bad intentions overall, but they did not, at least not in that particular instance.

Celia Cyanide
03-10-2008, 02:04 AM
and walt is still back on the island. remember how locke saw him and later said it was walt but an older, taller walt?

Just because someone appears on the island does not mean that person is actually there. Especially Walt. Walt appeared to Shannon while he was locked in Room 23. Bea asked Michael if Walt ever showed up in places he shouldn't be, and if he ever saw Walt, even though he was living with his mother in another country. So apparently, he could be anywhere, and still appear to Locke on the island.

childeroland
03-10-2008, 06:50 AM
Forgive me if they stated it in this episode, but how did the power station become unstable in the first place? Is it because the instability is a regular occurrence and no one was there to run the station or were Faraday/Charlotte doing something else and in the process destabilized the gas? Or did they need to turn off the gas for some other purpose and they unknowingly triggered something? When Juliet entered the Tempest the system had already gone haywire. Maybe they did something wrong, or maybe destabilizing the gas and then stabilizing it was a distraction from whatever else they were really there for in case someone spotted and tried to stop them.

That is what I wondered. When I first saw Harper speaking to Juliet, I thought Harper was not real. I thought it was like the time Eko thought he saw his brother. I was surprised that Jack could see her. But I don't know if that necessarily means it was really her. The question is, if that WAS the smoke monster, why would it ask Juliet to stop Charlotte and Daniel? Their boss has bad intentions overall, but they did not, at least not in that particular instance.

katiemac
03-10-2008, 07:56 AM
Forgive me if they stated it in this episode, but how did the power station become unstable in the first place? Is it because the instability is a regular occurrence and no one was there to run the station or were Faraday/Charlotte doing something else and in the process destabilized the gas? Or did they need to turn off the gas for some other purpose and they unknowingly triggered something? When Juliet entered the Tempest the system had already gone haywire. Maybe they did something wrong, or maybe destabilizing the gas and then stabilizing it was a distraction from whatever else they were really there for in case someone spotted and tried to stop them.

As I understood it, Charlotte and Farraday wanted to stablize the toxicity of the gas. So they went in, probably hacked into the system which caused everything to go haywire and countdown to release the gas. Then Farraday fixed it in time to stabilize the station so it's not useable anymore.

childeroland
03-11-2008, 03:25 AM
Thus neutralizing Ben's defense (another Purge). Gotcha. I wonder why it took Widmore so long to find the Island if his company is linked to Hanso and Dharma.

Celia Cyanide
03-11-2008, 03:52 AM
I wonder why it took Widmore so long to find the Island if his company is linked to Hanso and Dharma.

Personally, I think that the time issue also makes the island difficult to find. I think Widmore knew about the time thing, which is why he chose Daniel to find the island.

kristie911
03-14-2008, 05:56 AM
So now we know who the last of the Oceanic 6 are. I kind of figured it would be Sun and Jin.

Was anyone else distracted by the hotness of the boat captain? Damn...I wonder if he'll take his shirt off?

This show keeps getting better and better. :D

ETA: I almost forgot... I love being right about who was on the boat! ;)

kristie911
03-14-2008, 06:07 AM
Damn...I should have finished watching before I posted. Jin was a flashback and Sun was a flash forward. I totally didn't pick up on that. I should have known it wouldn't be that easy! *sigh* Always something to trick us...

Toothpaste
03-14-2008, 06:09 AM
Totally cried buckets with that one. Sigh.

So does that then mean Aaron counts as one of the 6?

KTC
03-14-2008, 06:11 AM
Did it show Jin back for sure...I was kind of half watching it. I thought his was a backflash and that he didn't make it...that was just a marker at the grave site. Correct me if I'm wrong...I wasn't paying 100% attention. I decided not to count him as one of the six.

rhymegirl
03-14-2008, 06:14 AM
But wait!!

I thought Jin does go back with Sun but something happens to him once he goes back. Maybe he gets killed off by one of the bad guys. (He used to work for Sun's father, right?)

DWSTXS
03-14-2008, 06:18 AM
I too, predicted that Michael was on the ship. BUT, where is WALT?

childeroland
03-14-2008, 06:25 AM
Juliet's bedside manner could use some work.

What book was Regina reading before she jumped off the boat? Wonder if it was Dickens's Christmas Carol.

NikeeGoddess
03-14-2008, 07:25 AM
I too, predicted that Michael was on the ship. BUT, where is WALT?like i said - he's on the island. he appeared to locke just as harper appeared to julia... and then was gone.

i don't believe jin will be one of the oceana 6 -- one reason: the actor was arrested for drunk driving last year and every actor on the show who has a brush with the law has been killed off. it just took him longer b/c of the writer's strike extending the show but he was fired. must be some kind of morals clause in their contracts.

Toothpaste
03-14-2008, 07:29 AM
Thing is, at least in the ads for the tv show tonight, and also confirmed by the actress who plays Sun in an interview, we now are supposed to know all the Oceanic Six. So either Jin died when they got back, or Aaron counts as one of the 6. Anyone have any thoughts?