Shined or Shone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
In your sentence, shined reads like present tense to me. Um...but the entire sentence is passive. Have you thought about changing it to an active statement to make it more powerful using fewer words?

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
When I was reading it, it seemed fined. When I posted it, it seemed dull.

How about:

Her silky black hair fell to her shoulders and shined in the lights as she moved.

And are you suggesting that shined is present tense and shone is past-tense?

Don Allen

Seeking a Sanctuary of Intelligence
Registered
Reaction score
Personal opinion, utterly meaningless, I like glistened...

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
When I was reading it, it seemed fined. When I posted it, it seemed dull.

How about:

Her silky black hair fell to her shoulders and shined in the lights as she moved.

And are you suggesting that shined is present tense and shone is past-tense?

Shone is past tense:
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=shone
Shined:
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=shined

How about dropping silky and allowing your reference 'shined' to stand as the defining adjective in this case? Or maybe 'shined like silk' as a simile?

[FONT=&quot]'Her shoulder length black hair shined like silk in the light as she moved.'[/FONT]

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
Well, which one do -you- like better? Go with the one you prefer and when you go back to edit you'll either keep it or change it. Right?

Or go with Don's suggestion. Glistened. Gleamed. Or some other word that gives a strong sense of what you want the reader to feel.

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to guess that it's dialectical, similar to lit/lighted, dove/dived, and other examples where some dialects add the -ed ending while others prefer the internal change. See here for more.

I prefer shone, but I'm from the North.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Or hanged/hung?

Funny thing about shone is I was spelling it as shown and had to do a search and replace, making sure I didn't change any real showns.

Well, which one do -you- like better? Go with the one you prefer and when you go back to edit you'll either keep it or change it. Right?
I'm actually in my TENTH edit. It just suddenly stuck out at me this time.

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
Or hanged/hung?

No, those are used differently. Here's the skinny from the American Heritage Dictionary:
Hanged, as a past tense and a past participle of hang, is used in the sense of “to put to death by hanging,” as in Frontier courts hanged many a prisoner after a summary trial. A majority of the Usage Panel objects to hung used in this sense. In all other senses of the word, hung is the preferred form as past tense and past participle, as in I hung my child's picture above my desk.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
His newly shined shoes shone in the sunlight because they had just been shined. If they had not been shined they would not have shone.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Both "shined" and "shone" are the simple past tense of the verb "to shine."

However, "shone" is the form that grammatical purists believe to be more correct--largely because it's a strong verb (similarly, purists prefer "dove" to "dived" and "pled" to "pleaded").

"Shined", on the other hand, feels more natural to many US English speakers.

Duncan J Macdonald

Plotting! Not Plodding!
Registered
Reaction score
Both "shined" and "shone" are the simple past tense of the verb "to shine."

However, "shone" is the form that grammatical purists believe to be more correct--largely because it's a strong verb (similarly, purists prefer "dove" to "dived" and "pled" to "pleaded").

"Shined", on the other hand, feels more natural to many US English speakers.
To this US speaker at least, the OP sentence's use of "shined" makes me want to watch that young lady's hair weilding a buffing cloth.

I vote for shone -- Her hair was shined till it shone.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
To this US speaker at least, the OP sentence's use of "shined" makes me want to watch that young lady's hair weilding a buffing cloth.

I vote for shone -- Her hair was shined till it shone.

I agree, although, from your avatar, it looks like maybe the buffing cloth would work . . .

(run away, run away . . . remember, I just gave you a rep point).

caw

jannawrites

no, really
Registered
Reaction score
I think it should be shone, in this usage. Shined has a different connotation:

The sun shone on the distant mountains.

This morning I shined my shoes.

caw

This is very similar to the example I would have given. Therefore, I think, the original post should read shone instead of shined.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
To this US speaker at least, the OP sentence's use of "shined" makes me want to watch that young lady's hair wielding a buffing cloth.

I'm with you when it comes to my own idiolect. However, there are millions of people in the US for whom the past tense of "shine" is "shined" and there's not a thing you or I can do about it. If you Google, for instance, "shined in the role" you'll get hundreds of thousands of results, some from actual newspapers and magazines.

AJMarks

Banned
Reaction score
His newly shined shoes shone in the sunlight because they had just been shined. If they had not been shined they would not have shone.
ROTFL

Personally, read it outloud, and see if it reads well. If you stumble then so will the reader and should be replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.