Food for a week.....

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm shocked at how much some of the prosperous families spend. Suddenly I feel like a smart shopper! I'm also shocked at how bad the choices are in some of the pictures. So much junk food!

Maryn, whose kids got chips maybe a half dozen times a year

Desert Author

Writing junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeffegerton.com
Made me hungry, I'm going out to spend my $317.45 right now. Only nutritious food, though...well, maybe one pizza, and, some cookies and cream ice cream if it's on sale. Oh, can't forget the cheesecake to justify the health club membership.

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
I can't imagine spending $300 a week on groceries. I feed five people and a large dog, and I only spend about $120, and that's on a good week. Most of the time we get by on way less.

Then again, i also can't imagine feeding fifteen people on three bags of rice and half a bushel of vegetables.

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Seems typical. Costs do vary in other countries but seems like the same amount of food.

We spend around 120-150 a week depending on what we need that week. And I do use coupons.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps you should put some away for a liver transplant as well. Yes?
I won't be able to afford one when the time comes.

I went shopping yesterday, and the total came out to just under $230. That included only one case of beer and only one gallon of wine. So I spent two hundred bucks on food and other non-essential beverages. And the worst part is, I didn't buy everything it takes to sustain my family for a week; so I have to go back before the weekend to get more stuff. You can bet I'll buy another lottery ticket while I'm there, just in case.

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I won't be able to afford one when the time comes.

I went shopping yesterday, and the total came out to just under $230. That included only one case of beer and only one gallon of wine. So I spent two hundred bucks on food and other non-essential beverages. And the worst part is, I didn't buy everything it takes to sustain my family for a week; so I have to go back before the weekend to get more stuff. You can bet I'll buy another lottery ticket while I'm there, just in case.

Costco shopper.

jessicaorr

Book fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Some of the food looks so good... especially the bread. I spend about 50$ a week on groceries for two adults and a toddler. We have chickens though so I don't have to buy eggs and in the summer we have lots of fresh produce. My husband bagged a deer this fall so we don't have to buy meat either.

Wow, suddenly I feel very thrifty. Yay me.

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
I'm shocked at how much some of the prosperous families spend. Suddenly I feel like a smart shopper! I'm also shocked at how bad the choices are in some of the pictures. So much junk food!

Maryn, whose kids got chips maybe a half dozen times a year

Yes, maryn, you are indeed a smart shopper! I spend about $120.00 a week including lunches for me, an adult son (well as adult as any one 21. which isn't very considering he still sleeps with 'gooey bear') and a teenaged daughter (who, although slender, can put away a half a pizza and still eat icecream).

If milk and eggs hadn't gone up so much in the past year, it would probably be $110.

Wow. I mean just. Wow.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
Some of the food looks so good... especially the bread. I spend about 50$ a week on groceries for two adults and a toddler. We have chickens though so I don't have to buy eggs and in the summer we have lots of fresh produce. My husband bagged a deer this fall so we don't have to buy meat either.

Wow, suddenly I feel very thrifty. Yay me.
I applaud your thrifty approach to life. When my two younger kids lived with me I spent about $65.00 a week on food. We ate meats, breads, veggies, pasta, and an assortment of basic foods that I prepared every night for dinner.

I loved to go shopping with the kids. Each week we had a partial cart filled with fresh foods for the week. I miss cooking for my kids.

truelyana

Set yourself free
Registered
Reaction score
Website
expressiveworld.com
When I lived in my Portugal when I was little, with my family we didn't spend any money as we didn't have much of it, and we were saving it to buy materials for our house. We started off living in my Grandparents house, and than living under a plastic roof for a while, than my dad started building the house and we lived in a garage for a while. We had every animal you could think of, and we would live off the land and eat the vegetables we planted. The food we ate was always nutritional, and yummy and that is why I have grown up loving it. I loved that life, I would roam free everywhere I wished. There was no electricity, so we couldn't buy commodity foods. (This was in the 1980's)

Last edited:

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
When I lived in my Portugal when I was little, with my family we didn't spend any money as we didn't have much of it, and we were saving it to buy materials for our house. We started off living in my Grandparents house, and than living under a plastic roof for a while, than my dad started building the house and we lived in a garage for a while. We had every animal you could think of, and we would live off the land and eat the vegetables we planted. The food we ate was always nutritional, and yummy and that is why I have grown up loving it. I loved that life, I would roam free everywhere I wished. There was no electricity, so we couldn't buy commodity foods. (This was in the 1980's)
From what I remember, talking to people whilst living in the UK, Portugal is very inexpensive to live. If I recall, Portugal has the lowest living standard of any country in the EU. I always wanted to visit Lisbon. Maybe someday?

truelyana

Set yourself free
Registered
Reaction score
Website
expressiveworld.com
From what I remember, talking to people whilst living in the UK, Portugal is very inexpensive to live. If I recall, Portugal has the lowest living standard of any country in the EU. I always wanted to visit Lisbon. Maybe someday?

The 1990's was a major turnoil for Portugal, because of political problems, and low wages on uneployment, so a large proportion immigrated. (Including ourselfs) I lived a year with my neighbours, whilst my parents tested this system out. Originally we were going to move to Australia for better prosperity, but it wasn't realistic as it was too far from home, and we wouldn't get the opportunity of going back as regurlarly.

Lisbon is a wonderful place, and it has changed drastically. It is being sold off as a Modernist city at the moment, but i don't think that's realistic. Many of the areas like Expo of course are like that, but than the rest of Lisbon is mainly historical. :D