HELP! I've been invited to host/speak....

Inky

Eat, Sleep, Write...
Registered
Reaction score
Just hung up from the invite. *Gulp*

Would I be interested in hosting & being the main speaker/lecturer of a writing seminar, here on our base, for those interested in becoming a writer, or not sure what the next step is now that their manuscript is finished. They don't care that I'm self-published; they've read my work, are VERY excited about it, and feel that I could be an asset to others desiring a career in writing. Now, just so ye' all ken, I would be taking them down the path of traditional publishing routes, not what worked best for me (though I will throw it out there as an option); I'm a diehard in believing traditional publishing is still the ultimate prize!

My gosh...I would be uber grateful if any of you could give me some pointers of materials that would be great for handouts, what kinds of topics interested you--if any of you have been absolutely blessed & able to attend a writer's conference/seminar, as I have not, and even websites that helped tremendously. I've a host of my own, but I don't want to NOT list something that I DON'T know, yet would have been beneficial.

I have some ideas formulating, but don't want to arrive & look like a boob.

I haven't given them a confirmation yet, as I have to see how much I'm able to do after surgery (seminar to be held Feb 29th).

Isn't this exciting? Stupid, lamo me--a speaker...who knew????

I've forever loved toastmasters, so speaking in public isn't an issue...but this crowd will be anyone from the base commander on down. It's a small base...I mean, like EVERYONE knows EVERYONE. I can't screw this up.

*Sigh* I can't tell you how helpful this will be, your input. I'd really like to say yes; I'd really prefer NOT to look like a baffoon.

Thanks so much,

karey

Last edited:

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Just walk in dressed like this. You could read from the Declaration of Independence, and no one would know the difference.

dress.jpg

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Sound as if they have their novels written and ready to go, rather than climbing the lower end of the learning curve. Are they already running writing/critique groups?

How about lists of publishers, by genre preference, willing to accept unagented queries? And/or agents willing to accept queries/samples.

For the Sci-Fi/Fantasy crowd, www.ralan.com > Book Publishers

-Derek

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
1) be realistic in what you say about the publishing industry (it doesn't have to be negative, but it can't be overly rosy either)
2) be encouraging, but also emphasize it's hard work that requires dedication to the craft and self-motivation (you could talk about self-motivation techniques you used in writing your book).
3) talk about how you approach research (and the importance of research) in your works. In fact, you could throw this question out for discussion: If we expect the readers to suspend disbelief with the big stuff in the story, don't we have to make sure the little stuff is accurate, or at least more believeable? It could initiate an interesting discussion.
4) talk about editing--when the first draft is done, the story is not done. You could bring in the idea (and cautions) of critique groups, beta readers, and on-line share-your-work crits. Emphasize they should have a thick skin, they should be appreciative of anyone who takes the time to give an opinion, and if the crits are crap, or do not fit with the flow of the story, they (the crits) can be dismissed. However, if more than one readers is making the same comment, there may be something to it.
5) If you can get together any materials (helpful website addresses) for writing (like Uncle Jim's threads), agent searches, publisher searches, etc. the participants may like a hardcopy.
6) above all encourage discussion, but as moderator of that discussion, make sure one or two people don't dominate with exhaustive details about their writing (some people take this type of opportunity to sell themselves, or to puff themselves up). If you encourage discussion, and the group is willing, you can let them direct the proceedings with a little mild (or firm) direction on your part.

Inky

Eat, Sleep, Write...
Registered
Reaction score
These are splendid ideas!
I hadn't realized Dawno broke Uncle Jim's courses down--wowzers! Now I might finally be able to navigate & use that ginormous (tm-Cray) thread.
Yes, Haggis, I was thinking something like that or black leather chaps...no, kidding. I have to be uber conservative. Yeah, me. Shocking. I'll probably get hives.

TrainofThought

A flowering bud of bitchiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authordenisebaer.com
Gooder Luckers, Inkers! Haggis's advice is perfect.

All I can say, because I have absolutely no experience and hate talking in public, is don't say 'Um'. It's an annoying bugger. :D

John Paton

carn the mighty hawks !!
Registered
Reaction score
the sporting capital of the world. Oh! That's Melb
well done Inky.

Public speaking can be terrifying, it terrifies me.

Just remember that EVERYONE who is coming to see you wants you to do well. They are ALL on your side.

Speak clearly, some audience participation is always a good idea and don't go on for too long.

Have fun and enjoy the experience.

Oh and as a last thought - the feeling you have before you go on is akin to drinking half a pint of prune juice !! ;)

WerenCole

Funny what? Do I amuse you?
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, me. Shocking. quote]

Yes. . . you should shock them. First thing you should do is throw a dagger at a child in the front row. You'll have their full attention from there on out.