Psychic Readings

escritora

Registered
Reaction score
One of the characters in my book is a psychic. From time to time I get my cards read or go visit a psychic.

Today I received a reading from CatMuse33 and she posted the results on her blog. You can read the reading here: http://missmichelestarot.blogspot.com/2008/01/lots-of-activity-for-auria.html. January's reading is strong.

I'm wondering if others had readings, not necessarily from CastMuse33, and what your thoughts are regarding the process.

Did you go into the reading believing or did you just do it for fun?
Were the readings accurate?

Any info you can give me would be great.

zahra

Was Zahra; lost profile - REBORN!
Registered
Reaction score
I've had quite a few readings over the years, ranging from a bit of fun whilst stuck in a sea-side town (whilst secretly hoping she would tell me things 'nobody else could possibly know), to searching, a lot more cynically, though, after my Dad died.

I've gone on other people's recommendations and through just passing.

Each and every one has been lousy. The sea-side lady overheard (but misinterpreted) something I said while I was waiting - I saw her pop her head through the door on the tail-end of my remark - and based her whole shtick on it. I threw one particularly boringly off-the-mark psychic my dad's name and he still got it wrong.

The last one I patronised came highly recommended by a colleague, but was just so wrong on everything, and actually had the nerve to tell me I wasn't 'giving her anything to work with', because I didn't give her clues by saying yes or no to her pronouncements.

Pah, is my take on the whole shooting match, basically.

escritora

Registered
Reaction score
Do it Kudra. It's only $10. It's fun. She also does a free three card spread. Can't go wrong with free!

And then you can help me with my research. :)

Zahra, do you remember how you reacted during the readings? Were you rolling your eyes, shifting in your seat, agitated when s/he got something wrong? Did you say something while in the reading?

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
The last one I patronised came highly recommended by a colleague, but was just so wrong on everything, and actually had the nerve to tell me I wasn't 'giving her anything to work with', because I didn't give her clues by saying yes or no to her pronouncements.

I've had one, not paid by me. The description above basically fits it perfectly. She also complained that I gave her nothing to work with. "But I thought you were a psychic. Your sign says you're a psychic." But no... I wasn't rolling my eyes at her or anything like that, but I certainly wasn't giving her any easy clues, either. Nothing she said was right or even in the ballpark.

Personal belief system - I do believe that some people do have the ability to read things or be psychic or see auras or know things about people that they have no reasonable way of knowing. I've had my own psychic moments, for lack of a better label, and I've even had dreams that came true and saw people in my dreams who I met later. I'm not a disbeliever in principle.

I am, however, a disbeliever in general of those who advertise themselves as psychics. This lady did nothing to change my mind.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I do believe that some are real...but most are not. They fish...it's plain and obvious that they fish when you go looking for it...when you go looking to believe you answer their questions and think, "Wow!" when they hit on something that they actually just fished out of you.

I had a friend that was good at readings...she never did it for money, but occasionally we would all get together and she would 'do' us. She once told me my Jeep was going to get damaged...'but not in an accident.' I went to get in it about 4 days later and it was vandalized. She was always giving little indications that would always be 100% accurate.

Kenny

Registered
Reaction score
While not a psychic I've done a fair share (and received a fair few) tarot and oracle readings.

I've been told mostly I'm quite good and I've had a few reasonable and good readings too.

I guess there are tonnes of readers who do it for the money and do not care if they are good or bad, or even accurate, as long as they get paid. I would rather do at least a half-decent reading.

For me I always go in believing fully but will always double check the reading and see if it is accurate and how it would fit into my current situation. There are times when part of the reading is very good and another part is bad. In that situation I guess that either it is bad or that they are seeing the situation from a different point of view than I see it.

DonnaDuck

My Worlds Are Building
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginewrite.net
I only go to recommended readers or those whom I get a good "feeling" on. I have a really strong instinct and even if I'm slightly skeptical, I'll go back to one of my trusted people and match up the reading to see if it was accurate and if they got the same information fromt he same question.

I've never had a bad reading or a reading that was completely false or off the mark. And good psychic will not say 'you're not giving me enough to work with.' Um, hello? Psychic. Every time I go in for a reading, even with my trusted people, I give them as little as humanly possible adn they roll with it.

Nothing is 100% and your reading is only what you make of it. They're more about guidance and advice, helping you along. They don't make decisions for you and you are always in control of your own destiny. What's shown to you is what could happen if you remain on the same path. It can always be changed.

In the end, I like them. If I'm stuck on something particularly nagging in my life, I'll seek out a little reading just to help me clarify. I trust my gut with these people and it's yet to steer me wrong.

escritora

Registered
Reaction score
Interesting article, Sassee.

Here's a fun fact: in 2005, i went to a psychic. i told him that a my niece and nephew were set to be born two days apart and i wanted to know info regarding their health. he said that the one born second was going to have health problems, but that s/he will lead a productive life after a few years in therapy. the psychic also said that s/he will love beads necklaces.

fast forward months later and my nephew, kai, was born with health problems. he's in therapy three times a week.

fast forward to dec. of last year. my little sister, kai's mami, said that he has a fascination with bead necklaces. he doesn't react to much...that's one of his problems. so the fact that he reacts to bead necklaces is something i find curious. and no, my little sister didn't know what the psychic said about bead necklaces.

the mention of the bead necklace is very specific. makes me wonder.

BlueTexas

Back from self-exile land.
Registered
Reaction score
I've had 'psychic readings' and they were all useless. Readings by mediums, though, who say they can contact loved ones - I've had quite good luck there. I've been to two, several times, and each time I came away with something distinct and correct.

HeronW

Down Under Fan
Registered
Reaction score
I've done readings, 12 or 15 card spread depending on the circumstances and most people walk away pleased. Absolutely there are 'fishers' and cons. I'm always surprised when I'm as accurate as I am, similar layout 2 dif people, 2 dif readings.

Finni

discipula vitae
Registered
Reaction score
I believe there are people who can tap into something. I don't know what it is or why this happens. I also believe most of the psychics who advertise themselves are 'fishers,' but there are a couple I've met that had something.

My best friend and I went to a psychic a year before my best friend died. The psychic looked at my friend and got a very sad look on her face and told her she wouldn't do her reading and asked her to leave. When I was with the psychic she told me that the things she sees can be changed if people make better choices, and that there were people around me that should be making better choices, myself included. She wasn't specific about what it was she saw. She asked me to leave after she said that to me though. My friend and I thought it was because we were...um...indulging in a little illegal substances and the psychic didn't want to deal with us.

When my friend died I wondered if the psychic saw what was going to happen, or if she looked at us, saw we were high, and just used common sense to tell her using drugs usually leads to bad stuff happening.

There was another psychic I saw that told me I would meet a man that I would first see as a friend but who I would fall in love with (lmfao). Anyone who knows me or who is even a little psychic would know this is BS!!!

There is an experience my mother had with a medium that was pretty accurate. She described how my best friend died. (My best friend was also my sister in law, and my mother went to the medium to try to come to terms with her death.) The medium also told my mom that D was saying "tell (my name) to stop feeling guilty about this, the choices she made had nothing to do with the choice I made." I would say that was pretty accurate.

In general I stay away from psychics who advertise themselves and believe they are fishers. I think only a few of them are for real, and I don't want to waste my money. If i ever do see a psychic again it will be one who a friend suggests to me.

DonnaDuck

My Worlds Are Building
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginewrite.net
I do think that psychic that you went to say your friend's death and her not divulging that kind of information just shows that she is a true psychic. It's unethical to tell someone that they're going to die, to give out lottery numbers and such. The fact that she didn't, and kept to her code, shows that she was commendable.

escritora

Registered
Reaction score
When my friend died I wondered if the psychic saw what was going to happen

How long after the visit to the psychic did your friend die?

There was another psychic I saw that told me I would meet a man that I would first see as a friend but who I would fall in love with

My friend and I went to a psychic. The pyschic wrote down information. Years later, what the pychic said came true. She told my friend she would meet a guy named Mark, move to CT with him, then move back to Boston to get married. That's exactly what happened. We forgot about the psychic and one day my friend found the note. The information she provided was too specific to ignore. And since it was in writing, we can't chalk this up to our interpretation of what she said.

zahra

Registered
Reaction score
I do think that psychic that you went to say your friend's death and her not divulging that kind of information just shows that she is a true psychic. It's unethical to tell someone that they're going to die, to give out lottery numbers and such. The fact that she didn't, and kept to her code, shows that she was commendable.
I think the reality is she probably saw you guys were off your faces and a) didn't want to deal, as you guessed and b) used it to make a pronouncement based on what she saw as your lifestyle. If I were pretending to be psychic, and someone came to me under the influence, I'd certainly use that in my reading, just as I would if they were wearing an expensive watch or had an out-there haircut or smelled strongly of cigarettes.

In answer to an earlier question, no, I made sure I looked and acted as neutral as possible. I couldn't help a couple of sighs of boredom with the Australian guy who was so off-base, but no, no eye-rolling!

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
There's one question no-one has ever answered satisfactorily afaik. Why are none of these supposed psychics millionaires? If they can see the future, why not take a peek at next week's lottery numbers? If they can only read minds, why not become a top poker player?
I would highly recommend Tricks of the mind by Derren Brown for anyone interested in this subject. He talks about a lot of stuff in it, from magic to hypnotism, but he holds a special contempt for most (if not all) so called psychics. I can't watch shows like that John Edwards chap's without getting angry at their manipulation since reading that book.

zahra

Registered
Reaction score
There's one question no-one has ever answered satisfactorily afaik. Why are none of these supposed psychics millionaires? If they can see the future, why not take a peek at next week's lottery numbers? If they can only read minds, why not become a top poker player?
I would highly recommend Tricks of the mind by Derren Brown for anyone interested in this subject. He talks about a lot of stuff in it, from magic to hypnotism, but he holds a special contempt for most (if not all) so called psychics. I can't watch shows like that John Edwards chap's without getting angry at their manipulation since reading that book.
The answer to your first question is, people like John Edwards ARE millionaires, thanks to the heartbroken people they con daily and in syndication.

I totally agree with the rest of your post. I would love to believe in life after death - how much would I give to know I'd see my father again? - and that there are people who can give you guidance as to the future, but I just don't.

escritora

Registered
Reaction score
Tricks of the mind by Derren Brown

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to read it!

John Edwards is practically my neighbor. Well sort of, about 10-15 minutes away. Last time I heard he charges $500 per reading, but don't quote me on that.

DonnaDuck

My Worlds Are Building
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginewrite.net

Actually, if you read my post, I did. It's unethical. The people whom can really read minds, predict lottery numbers and so on and so forth, don't take advantage of their gift to that extent. Some people have morals. Others don't. Besides, the ones who really are gifted also believe in Karma and the karmatic retribution of acting so selfishly would be far greater negatively than it would be positive, if at all. The creeps have a tendency to make names for themselves much easier than the ethical ones so I can understand your sour attitiude, as I know many do share that like mind, but it's not true of them all.

Giving someone a set of winning lottery numbers is just as bad as telling someone when they're going to die. It's a cheap shot, it's cheating and it's just wrong to do. The consequences of those actions are too great to mess with. Besides, not everyone is out to make as much money as they possibly can and not everyone wants to cash in on their gift. Those that I know just live their lives and this just happens to be something they can do. On the flip side, not everyone who's making money from their gift is out to screw the population either. Like I said, the creeps are the ones to get the most attention and, more often than not, they ruin it for those with legitimate powers.

escritora

Registered
Reaction score
Giving someone a set of winning lottery numbers is just as bad as telling someone when they're going to die.

Why is this the case?

Finni

discipula vitae
Registered
Reaction score
I think if someone can see the future...for real...and sees someone elses tragic death they should speak up, or at least give a warning to the person's friend. "Hey, by the way, you might want to get your friend help before she dies."
Isn't it like watching a kid run out into the street?? The kid doesn't see the danger, but the person who sees it happen can see the danger and stop it. Otherwise what's the use? Seriously. What good is it to see someone is going to die in a tragic way if you don't speak up???

DonnaDuck

My Worlds Are Building
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginewrite.net
Why is this the case?

Telling someone when they're going to die can drastically change someone's life, especially if it isn't true. The person ends up living for that moment, anticipating it and can sometimes become a self-fulfilling prophecy. In the end, it's dramatically life-changing. A psychic is not a doctor and even doctors can't say, with any degree of certainty when a person is going to die. To place a burden like that on a person's shoulders is just wrong. Like the psychic story above, I don't believe the psychic asked the girl to leave because she was too doped for the reading. I think she refused the reading because she knew the girl was going to die and the entire reading would center around that. Instead of beating around the bush, she didn't do the reading in order to save herself. That's a commendible psychic. Would you want to know when you're going to die, or how or why? If you knew, would your live not change, be it for the better or the worse? Either way, it's not in the hands of a physic to play god and dole out death sentences.

As with lottery numbers, say a psychic did dish out some winnings numbers. That person wins the lottery, divulges where they got the winning numbers from. That psychic then gets hounded by everyone in a 50 mile radius for winning lottery numbers. Say she's dumb enough to give out more. You'd have record numbers of people winning the lottery, thus depleting that initial large amount to measly dollars per person because so many people are winning (have you ever seen Bruce Almighty where he has everyone win the lottery? same thing). It then depletes its own holding, emptying its own bank account and since it's a tax, the state then loses money, and a lot of it and fast thus affecting many other aspects of the state itself that benefit from that money. It would be like a bank during a depression. They just wouldn't have enough money to pay out to all their customers. It would happen with the state as well. Not to mention the person in question could rightly end up like many other lottery winners, destitute, to say the least.

Obviously that's a very spiraled account of a 'what if' scenario but both instances have equally devestating effects on the person being told this information as well as on the psyhic themselves. They both can end up being cataclysmic, the former for the destruction of life, the latter for the destruction of welfare. The karmatic retribution for a psychic would be them living with having doled out a death sentence to another human being and initially being responsible for the bankruptcy of a people.

That's why good psychics don't dole out win lotteries at will and don't tell people when they're going to die. The consequences of their actions far outweigh and benefits that could come from that information.

Tiger

AKA: "Gums of Steel"
Registered
Reaction score
As with lottery numbers, say a psychic did dish out some winnings numbers. That person wins the lottery, divulges where they got the winning numbers from. That psychic then gets hounded by everyone in a 50 mile radius for winning lottery numbers. Say she's dumb enough to give out more. You'd have record numbers of people winning the lottery, thus depleting that initial large amount to measly dollars per person because so many people are winning (have you ever seen Bruce Almighty where he has everyone win the lottery? same thing). It then depletes its own holding, emptying its own bank account and since it's a tax, the state then loses money, and a lot of it and fast thus affecting many other aspects of the state itself that benefit from that money. It would be like a bank during a depression. They just wouldn't have enough money to pay out to all their customers. It would happen with the state as well. Not to mention the person in question could rightly end up like many other lottery winners, destitute, to say the least.That's why good psychics don't dole out win lotteries at will and don't tell people when they're going to die. The consequences of their actions far outweigh and benefits that could come from that information.

This if a psychic doles out a winnng number for a client. What is the reason that psychics don't do their own winning? Altruism? Then, why charge for services.