Finding a good course

Status
Not open for further replies.

mada

Getting back in the groove
Registered
Reaction score
As I get back into the swing of writing, I find myself second guessing everything from my ideas to my composition. I'm interested in taking a creative writing course but want to make sure that I find a good, credible course since online is about the only way I will be able to take one right now. Are there any courses that are recommended or that I should definitely steer clear of? I found one course here that I would like to take but I have to get the money and hope that there is still space available for it.

WerenCole

Funny what? Do I amuse you?
Registered
Reaction score
Is there a local community college around?

mada

Registered
Reaction score
There are two and I am looking into those as well but I was wondering about any online courses that may be offered independently or courses that others have enjoyed.

akiwiguy

AW Inmate #90976
Registered
Reaction score
Just a personal opinion. I've done a couple of online courses a long time ago and I can't quite justify the expenditure. It depends I guess on one's preferred means of learning, but I tend to get so much good information out of relatively inexpensive books. In my opinion, buy Characters and Viewpoint by Orson Scott Card and Crafting Scenes by Raymond Obstfeld and you'll be re-reading them again and again getting so many fresh ideas for your writing.

One thing that can be useful about courses is simply motivation, by way of having set goals and deadlines.

Haven't answered your question, and can't because I wouldn't really recommend the ones I did.

mada

Registered
Reaction score
Haven't answered your question, and can't because I wouldn't really recommend the ones I did.

I think you may have done a better job answering my question than you think you did. I'm not opposed to finding some great books to read and you were honest that you wouldn't recommend the ones you had taken. I will add these books to my list, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.