Help! Did you ever make potholders on a peg loom as a kid?

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I can't believe I'm asking this, but there's always someone here who knows what I need.

I'm thinking NeuroFizz, ColoradoGuy, Fahim, Victoria Strauss, Uncle Jim, Jaws and likely William Haskins are rather over-qualified to answer my latest question, but for the rest of us mere mortals:

Do you remember when you were a kid and made a potholder from loops of colored nylon stretched over a peg loom? Well I don't. I never did that. But my five-year-old has.

She's also managed to lose the instructions. My google kung-fu has failed me in that I can find tons of kits that include instructions, but no pdfs of guidance to get the damned thing off the loom.

How do you take it and tie it off?

Joycecwilliams

Registered
Reaction score
You start in a corner and pull one loop through another... until you reach the end. The last loop you pull through and knot. That is the hanging loop.

nerds

of all the gin joints
Registered
Reaction score
oh, I made millions of these, so much fun when I was little - here's some help -

"Tie yarn on corner peg and wind a warp onto the looper frame and secure. Fill in and weave following the directions that come with these little looms. Or, vary the weave to produce a pattern. To make a basket weave, draw the sideways yarn over two strands at a time. Loop over peg and go the opposite direction. Loop over peg and repeat the whole process

When you have filled in the whole square, tie off the yarn end. Then, take up the end loop and pull the next loop through it, slipping the first loop over. Use the second pulled-through loop and slip it over the next loop until the whole outside has been finished."

More here, from -

http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/fiber_arts/111314

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
But it's hurting my fingers and my daughter has run off to play 'Littlest Pet Shop' with her sister.

I hate crafts.

Hillary

Neural Trailblazer
Registered
Reaction score
This makes me wonder... Do you guys use AW in place of google? 'Cause, I mean, I can't imagine it would be difficult to find this sort of information just by googling. Isn't this just more time consuming?

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
As I said in the OP, I googled, but came up with a wheelbarrow full of ads and ebay listings, but no pdfs on instructions.

Didn't mean to waste anyone's time.

Hillary

Neural Trailblazer
Registered
Reaction score
No, no I wasn't trying to be bitchy. I was seriously just wondering, because I googled it too and got this:

~Clicky~

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
You start in a corner and pull one loop through another... until you reach the end. The last loop you pull through and knot. That is the hanging loop.
Jaime, just do what Joyce said, it's simple. I've done it as recently...well, a few years ago :) Your thumbs may be sore at the end, but it's still fun.

JM, who spent many summers at camp making crafts, riding horses and pulling pranks on fellow campers w/ help from bf.

Hillary

Neural Trailblazer
Registered
Reaction score
When your life revolves around finding full-text medical journal articles for free online, you learn to make google your bitch. It's a skill.

*bows*

Hillary

Neural Trailblazer
Registered
Reaction score
Next up, the winding-around-your-fingers-loop-weaving that makes a super-hot headband. I used to make those... AND wear them.

nerds

of all the gin joints
Registered
Reaction score
I loved doing them, loved the zillion different color combinations you could use. I'd make them as gifts for all the adults in the family - all my aunts, my eldest sister, my mother, my bachelor uncle, would hang them on pegs near the stove and use them. That meant a lot to a five/six-year-old. They were like little bits of useful art, in my family.

:)

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Yes, it didn't quite work out like that in this household. It was one of those things that she started, got frustrated, asked for help and the 'help' became me doing it.

I don't need any potholders.

It's weird, my kids aren't all that creative in a concrete, results-obvious way right now. Their play is really imaginative and the dramas they create for their dolls and stuffed animals are terrific. Hands-on art is something I hope they enjoy at some point. Mostly because I don't want to attend to all the half-finished projects because I can't win. Either I'm a nag when I try to convince them not to abandon the thing or I'm cruel when I'm gonna throw it out.

Where's the parenting pdf manual? Off to google it...

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I got it. It's all done. It's ugly as sin, but when the baby zips by, I'll hand it off.

Perks. Perks!! Get a grip. That is so LAST millennium.

Why do you think we hated Girl Scouts? Remember?
No bow and arrows, no body surfing... stupid stuff we didn't want to do anyway.

Remember?

DWSTXS

Mr Mojo Risin...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
I never made those......BUT...there is something I'm wondering about....maybe all y'all can help me remember what this was, and what it was/is called.

When I was in camp....we made these things with strips of plastic.....they were anywhere from a couple inches long, to, well, as long as you wanted to make them. The only thing I could think of them being used as, would be like some sort of doo-dad that you would hang off of, or use as a key chain.

It was 4 pieces of long strips of plastic, you laid one across in one direction, then another in another direction, then a third in the other direction and finally a fourth.
each layer made up another 'section'

What you ended up with was a long thingy, that had absolutely no use....other than to look colorful.

Well, I hate crafts, but I remember making those thingy's and it's bugged me for years as to what they were called, and what they were for.
I realize I didn't describe them very well..........

Hillary

Neural Trailblazer
Registered
Reaction score
I never made those......BUT...there is something I'm wondering about....maybe all y'all can help me remember what this was, and what it was/is called.

When I was in camp....we made these things with strips of plastic.....they were anywhere from a couple inches long, to, well, as long as you wanted to make them. The only thing I could think of them being used as, would be like some sort of doo-dad that you would hang off of, or use as a key chain.

It was 4 pieces of long strips of plastic, you laid one across in one direction, then another in another direction, then a third in the other direction and finally a fourth.
each layer made up another 'section'

What you ended up with was a long thingy, that had absolutely no use....other than to look colorful.

Well, I hate crafts, but I remember making those thingy's and it's bugged me for years as to what they were called, and what they were for.
I realize I didn't describe them very well..........

Napoleon Dynamite to the rescue (or, Deb, rather...)
CLICK!!!

DWSTXS

Mr Mojo Risin...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
Napoleon Dynamite to the rescue (or, Deb, rather...)

WOW! That was fast........thanks Hillary.........now I see......It was the 'square knot' keychains that we made.
And, BTW.......I've never heard them called Scoubidou's

Funny, what sticks with us through the years......I just remember making those things...and being jealous cause everybody's looked cooler than mine....