PDA

View Full Version : Help! Did you ever make potholders on a peg loom as a kid?

Perks
01-27-2008, 07:58 PM
I can't believe I'm asking this, but there's always someone here who knows what I need.

I'm thinking NeuroFizz, ColoradoGuy, Fahim, Victoria Strauss, Uncle Jim, Jaws and likely William Haskins are rather over-qualified to answer my latest question, but for the rest of us mere mortals:

Do you remember when you were a kid and made a potholder from loops of colored nylon stretched over a peg loom? Well I don't. I never did that. But my five-year-old has.

She's also managed to lose the instructions. My google kung-fu has failed me in that I can find tons of kits that include instructions, but no pdfs of guidance to get the damned thing off the loom.

How do you take it and tie it off?

Joycecwilliams
01-27-2008, 08:05 PM
You start in a corner and pull one loop through another... until you reach the end. The last loop you pull through and knot. That is the hanging loop.

nerds
01-27-2008, 08:07 PM
oh, I made millions of these, so much fun when I was little - here's some help -

"Tie yarn on corner peg and wind a warp onto the looper frame and secure. Fill in and weave following the directions that come with these little looms. Or, vary the weave to produce a pattern. To make a basket weave, draw the sideways yarn over two strands at a time. Loop over peg and go the opposite direction. Loop over peg and repeat the whole process

When you have filled in the whole square, tie off the yarn end. Then, take up the end loop and pull the next loop through it, slipping the first loop over. Use the second pulled-through loop and slip it over the next loop until the whole outside has been finished."

More here, from -

http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/fiber_arts/111314

Perks
01-27-2008, 08:08 PM
Okay, I'm going to try. Stay tuned.

Unique
01-27-2008, 08:26 PM
Help! Did you ever make potholders on a peg loom as a kid?

Why would I want to do that?

Perks
01-27-2008, 08:27 PM
I don't know. They say it's fun.

Perks
01-27-2008, 08:30 PM
But it's hurting my fingers and my daughter has run off to play 'Littlest Pet Shop' with her sister.

I hate crafts.

Hillary
01-27-2008, 08:31 PM
This makes me wonder... Do you guys use AW in place of google? 'Cause, I mean, I can't imagine it would be difficult to find this sort of information just by googling. Isn't this just more time consuming?

Perks
01-27-2008, 08:33 PM
As I said in the OP, I googled, but came up with a wheelbarrow full of ads and ebay listings, but no pdfs on instructions.

Didn't mean to waste anyone's time.

Hillary
01-27-2008, 08:38 PM
No, no I wasn't trying to be bitchy. I was seriously just wondering, because I googled it too and got this:

~Clicky~ (http://unplugyourkidstoys.blogspot.com/2008/01/removing-potholder-from-loom.html)

Perks
01-27-2008, 08:39 PM
Well, I bow to your superior google-fu.

Jean Marie
01-27-2008, 08:41 PM
You start in a corner and pull one loop through another... until you reach the end. The last loop you pull through and knot. That is the hanging loop.
Jaime, just do what Joyce said, it's simple. I've done it as recently...well, a few years ago :) Your thumbs may be sore at the end, but it's still fun.

JM, who spent many summers at camp making crafts, riding horses and pulling pranks on fellow campers w/ help from bf.

Hillary
When your life revolves around finding full-text medical journal articles for free online, you learn to make google your bitch. It's a skill.

*bows*

Perks
I got it. It's all done. It's ugly as sin, but when the baby zips by, I'll hand it off.

Hillary
01-27-2008, 08:43 PM
Next up, the winding-around-your-fingers-loop-weaving that makes a super-hot headband. I used to make those... AND wear them.

Jean Marie
01-27-2008, 08:44 PM
I got it. It's all done. It's ugly as sin, but when the baby zips by, I'll hand it off.
If you stretch it out, it will look fine...just square it off as you stretch it, you'll see.

Joycecwilliams
01-27-2008, 08:56 PM
But it's hurting my fingers and my daughter has run off to play 'Littlest Pet Shop' with her sister.

I hate crafts.

Try using a crochet hook...

nerds
01-27-2008, 09:05 PM
I loved doing them, loved the zillion different color combinations you could use. I'd make them as gifts for all the adults in the family - all my aunts, my eldest sister, my mother, my bachelor uncle, would hang them on pegs near the stove and use them. That meant a lot to a five/six-year-old. They were like little bits of useful art, in my family.

:)

Perks
01-27-2008, 09:10 PM
Yes, it didn't quite work out like that in this household. It was one of those things that she started, got frustrated, asked for help and the 'help' became me doing it.

I don't need any potholders.

It's weird, my kids aren't all that creative in a concrete, results-obvious way right now. Their play is really imaginative and the dramas they create for their dolls and stuffed animals are terrific. Hands-on art is something I hope they enjoy at some point. Mostly because I don't want to attend to all the half-finished projects because I can't win. Either I'm a nag when I try to convince them not to abandon the thing or I'm cruel when I'm gonna throw it out.

Where's the parenting pdf manual? Off to google it...

Unique
01-27-2008, 09:43 PM

Perks. Perks!! Get a grip. That is so LAST millennium.

Why do you think we hated Girl Scouts? Remember?
No bow and arrows, no body surfing... stupid stuff we didn't want to do anyway.

Remember?

WerenCole
01-27-2008, 10:29 PM
Pot holder? Peg loom?

?????

Jean Marie
01-28-2008, 01:23 AM
Perks. Perks!! Get a grip. That is so LAST millennium.

Why do you think we hated Girl Scouts? Remember?
No bow and arrows, no body surfing... stupid stuff we didn't want to do anyway.

Remember?
I got thrown out of Girl Scouts...

Love body surfing :D

DWSTXS
01-28-2008, 01:35 AM
I never made those......BUT...there is something I'm wondering about....maybe all y'all can help me remember what this was, and what it was/is called.

When I was in camp....we made these things with strips of plastic.....they were anywhere from a couple inches long, to, well, as long as you wanted to make them. The only thing I could think of them being used as, would be like some sort of doo-dad that you would hang off of, or use as a key chain.

It was 4 pieces of long strips of plastic, you laid one across in one direction, then another in another direction, then a third in the other direction and finally a fourth.
each layer made up another 'section'

What you ended up with was a long thingy, that had absolutely no use....other than to look colorful.

Well, I hate crafts, but I remember making those thingy's and it's bugged me for years as to what they were called, and what they were for.
I realize I didn't describe them very well..........

Hillary
01-28-2008, 01:39 AM
I never made those......BUT...there is something I'm wondering about....maybe all y'all can help me remember what this was, and what it was/is called.

When I was in camp....we made these things with strips of plastic.....they were anywhere from a couple inches long, to, well, as long as you wanted to make them. The only thing I could think of them being used as, would be like some sort of doo-dad that you would hang off of, or use as a key chain.

It was 4 pieces of long strips of plastic, you laid one across in one direction, then another in another direction, then a third in the other direction and finally a fourth.
each layer made up another 'section'

What you ended up with was a long thingy, that had absolutely no use....other than to look colorful.

Well, I hate crafts, but I remember making those thingy's and it's bugged me for years as to what they were called, and what they were for.
I realize I didn't describe them very well..........

Napoleon Dynamite to the rescue (or, Deb, rather...) CLICK!!! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scoubidou)

DWSTXS
01-28-2008, 01:44 AM
Napoleon Dynamite to the rescue (or, Deb, rather...)

WOW! That was fast........thanks Hillary.........now I see......It was the 'square knot' keychains that we made.
And, BTW.......I've never heard them called Scoubidou's

Funny, what sticks with us through the years......I just remember making those things...and being jealous cause everybody's looked cooler than mine....

Hillary
01-28-2008, 01:47 AM
WOW! That was fast........thanks Hillary.........now I see......It was the 'square knot' keychains that we made.
And, BTW.......I've never heard them called Scoubidou's.

No problem! I'm tellin' ya, google bows down to me on a regular basis. I should teach a class in making google your bitch.

zahra
01-28-2008, 03:52 AM

I hate crafts.
As does every right-thinking person, love. My God, we should have robots for that kind of thing by now.