PDA

View Full Version : Not-So-Great Ways to Impress an Agent/Editor

Lolly
01-26-2008, 11:56 PM
This could go under any category, but hey, I like you guys. :Hug2:

I found this article on MSN. It's all about weird responses people have given in job interviews. Let's see...

Robert Half International recently asked executives to describe the strangest pitches they’ve heard from potential hires. The responses ranged from a person who noted that he’d be a great addition to the company softball team to the candidate who had to be hired because he was “allergic to unemployment.”

Hmmm, does Random House have a softball team? Anybody here allergic to getting rejected?

And then are the others...

• “One candidate sang all of her responses to interview questions.”

Anybody here think they can hum their magnum opus?

• “A gentleman delivered his entire cover letter verbally as a rap song.”

Hey, forget boring old query letters. Why not just call an agent and sing it!

• “One individual said we had nice benefits, which was good because he was going to need to take a lot of leave in the next year.”

I'm glad you plan to pay me millions of dollars for my runaway bestseller. I'd like to make like Thomas Pynchon and disappear for the rest of my career.

• “One job seeker said he should get the job because he had already applied three times and felt that it was now his turn.”

Does this apply to writers or what?

• “A person said he had no relevant experience for the position he was interviewing for, but his friend did.”

Hey, my writing stinks, but if you want to give my friend a fat contract, go right ahead!

• “One person brought his mother to the job interview and let her do all the talking.”

I believe somebody here at AW talked about doing that a few months ago.

Here's the full article:
http://http://msn.careerbuilder.com/custom/msn/careeradvice/viewarticle.aspx?articleid=1205&SiteId=cbmsnhp41205&sc_extcmp=JS_1205_home&GT1=10785&cbRecursionCnt=1&cbsid=002e2c09c98b408f94f8b4630efc0fa1-254673506-R7-4

Scrawler
01-27-2008, 04:47 AM
This is my favorite (I've edited it):
• “One writer said she should get published because she had already been rejected three times and felt that it was now her turn.”
:ROFL:Funny!!

The "tips" would apply in just about any scenario-- job search, query...even dating!
• Know your value.
• Share something personal.
• Show enthusiasm.
• Be yourself.

Birol
01-27-2008, 05:40 AM
Moved thread from Novels to Office Party.