• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

E-mail Harassment

brj319

Is it possible to get a restraining order on someone who is sending nasty, threatening emails?

If so, What steps should I take?

Thanks in advance.

DaveKuzminski

Restraining order

I would think that a judge could issue such an order to include email. I know for a fact that they can for telephone and personal contact in some localities. You should seek assistance from your local police. They can advise you on what to do.

SRHowen

Block

Block their address--or change your e-mail address to a free service such as hotmail that does not require you to include you real name etc.

Shawn

DaveKuzminski

Yes, that's an alternative

Yes, you could change your address, but that puts all the responsibility on the victim. If someone is truly abusive, it's better to send him to court where he can be dealt with appropriately. Many people change their ways when they are held accountable. There's no incentive to change when they're not.

brj319

Re: Block

I did block their address, but he is my estranged daughter's husband and I want to be able to stop her, and his, access to my 2 other children who are 9 and 12.

Painted Picture:

I am divorced and have physical custody of my 9 and 12 year old children. My ex has contact with my oldest and her husband, who is the perpetrator of these emails.
I do not want my kids exposed to either of them and to prevent or curtail this, I thought a restraining order would prevent my ex from bringing my younger ones to visit and vice versa.
Am I incorrect?

mammamaia

you need a good lawyer, brj!

this is too volatile a situation to solicit advice on, from strangers on a writing board, no matter how well-intentioned our responses may be...

i know from much sad personal experience how legally tangled such situations can get and how damaging to kids it can all be... please just go to a good attorney who specializes in domestic conflict and find out what really applies in your case and what your options are... if you can't afford that, call your local help line and find out what's available in your area in re free legal help... there are all kinds of groups providing help for folks in your shoes...

i wish you the best and hope all will work out peacefully...

love and extra hugs, maia

ps: you can download or buy a program that will block your children's access to email... you may even be able to do it via your current anti-virus program... check the blocking/access options...

Greenwolf103

I echo M's advice

Please find an attorney to help you with this matter. You cannot take any chances and I doubt this perp will stop with E-mail.

Not to scare you, or anything...

James D Macdonald

Re: EMAIL

Talk to your lawyer. Give copies of the emails to the police. Threats are threats. Treat them seriously.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
I would also add here that the crime of "cyberstalking" has been officially added as a felony in most U.S. states, as well as many other countries.

Here's a really good article from SFWA (Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers of America) about what it means and what to do if you think you're being stalked electronically:

http://www.sfwa.org/gateway/stalking.htm

You might also check out an organization alled WHO@ (Working to Halt Online Abuse). They give a good recitation of the laws for individual U.S. states, UK, Australia, and India.

http://www.haltabuse.org/index.shtml

For Canadian links for assistance, go here:

http://www.cbel.com/abuse_internet/

For anyone who is afraid to turn on your computer, there is help! :)

Vomaxx

Registered
Reaction score
Website
andiriel.blogspot.com
mammamaia said:
this is too volatile a situation to solicit advice on, from strangers on a writing board, no matter how well-intentioned our responses may be...

Truer words were never spoken. Lets stick to writing questions here.