Status
Not open for further replies.

Cassidy

writing for kids and teens
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robinstevenson.com
Hey. My 15 year old protagonist refers to her "parental units". I know this expression has been around forever but does anyone know if teens still use it? If not, any other suggestions? Thanks guys! -Robin

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
I'm in my twenties, but I still use it and I know I used it when I was a kid.

I think it originated with Coneheads, right?

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
We say parentals a lot. But you don't usually hear 'units' anymore. I'm in Wash D.C, if that helps.

DWSTXS

Mr Mojo Risin...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
Try 'parentalia'.......as in: Dude, you wanna go to a party this weekend? Hell yeah I do, but I think the parentalia will kill me if I come in late again......

Cassidy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robinstevenson.com
Yeah, from Coneheads. Though actually I never saw the movie and only know that because when I was trying to figure out how old the expression was, I Googled it. Hannah, parentals is rather nice. Maybe I'll use that instead...

DWSTXS

Mr Mojo Risin...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
also..........how about 'parentectomy'......(removal of parents)

Man, I want to go to the movies, but the parents are coming too....damn, I wish I could have a parentectomy

DWSTXS

Mr Mojo Risin...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
one more....LOL

Parentnoia - parents + paranoia

my parents won't let me go anywhere because they think I'm going to sneak off and have sex, or do drugs...or whatever! Of course, that's what I want to do...but hey, screw them!

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
I say parental units on occassion, and I'm 15. I've heard others toss the phrase around too.

Carrie R.

Procrastinating, clearly
Registered
Reaction score
Something to think about when using slang is when your book will be coming out. I tend to stick to things that have been used for a longer time (like cool or even parental units) rather than something that's trendy now because sland that's fallen out that can really date a book. Or make up your own slang so that it's timeless with the book itself.

Cassidy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robinstevenson.com
Carrie-- yeah, I agree 100%. The book comes out next fall, btw, and my editor has queried my use of "parental units". I don't know- maybe it is too dated and I should just make up something quirky. Of course, she could just say "my parents". Or, you know, "the wardens" or something. Crazy how much time one can spend considering a single word, hey?

I'm having a similar struggle with music. I have one reference to music playing and I named a too-trendy-last-year-band... which was probably a bad choice. Now I'm trying to come up with another choice-- either something very current (help, anyone!) or older and classic but still popular with people 16-25 or so. And I'd LOVE any suggestions on that one too.

brittanimae

making a fresh start.
Registered
Reaction score
I just got a Christmas card from someone in Cincinnati that specifically mentioned that her 15-year-old says things like "Goodnight parental unit." So they're saying it there.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Slight derailment I couldn't resist...
one more....LOL

Parentnoia - parents + paranoia

my parents won't let me go anywhere because they think I'm going to sneak off and have sex, or do drugs...or whatever! Of course, that's what I want to do...but hey, screw them!
Dr. Freud would have a field day with this. In fact I think he made a whole career and life study out of it.

beatlesluv

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I'm 21, and I have some 17/18 friends, and was a teen not too long ago.

I haven't heard it before. I would suggest using just a simple 'parents,' or if you'r MC has an underlying something against her parents then her er... f****wits."

Cassidy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robinstevenson.com
Thanks everyone. Beatlesluv, that's good to know. I'm in Canada too so if teens in Ontario aren't using it, that carries some weight. I think I'll go with something more generic and not risk the dated slang. Probably I'll end up with something along the f***wits line but slightly milder, given the context. Cheers.

Viral

Incoherant author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.shiresu.net
I'm 19, and I use parental units religiously.
So I'd say it's still in fashion.

althrasher

Prodigal Muser
Registered
Reaction score
20: still say parental units, or PUs.

Partly because my parental units are not entirely my parents.

North Carolina: PUs still in use, by me and others.

heidirebecca

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
I'm having a similar struggle with music. I have one reference to music playing and I named a too-trendy-last-year-band... which was probably a bad choice. Now I'm trying to come up with another choice-- either something very current (help, anyone!) or older and classic but still popular with people 16-25 or so. And I'd LOVE any suggestions on that one too.

Fall Out Boy is a hit with kids from 14 to mid twenties basically. They've been around for years, had several albums, their last one was their best one, so I'd say that they're only going to get bigger and bigger.

Other biggies, Blink 182 (even though they broke up a few years ago) were huge with that agegroup. And still at parties I go to today, that stuff is playing and everyone loves it.

heidirebecca

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
Even here in Australia we say Parental Units, but actually it's been reduced to Parentals by now. It's a world wide thing, and I'm 23, I think the younger kids say it without realising it came from Coneheads.

Last edited:

Cassidy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robinstevenson.com
I appreciate all the responses. Sounds like most folks know the expression and still use it- yay! I'm going to be off line for a couple weeks, so if i probably won't respond again on this thread. Thanks so much everyone!

oh-- i'll check out fall out boy! thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.