PDA

View Full Version : Ozland Cuisine...

CACTUSWENDY
01-26-2008, 01:52 AM
Told you folks it would be next. What do you consider to be your stand out food? What makes your mouth water...food wise?

:Shrug:

Gravity
01-26-2008, 01:54 AM
Marmite, and plenty of it.

CACTUSWENDY
01-26-2008, 01:59 AM
:Shrug:...hum. Marimite. Fruit, Veggie, or a Meat?

What is it? What does it taste like?

CaroGirl
01-26-2008, 02:02 AM
Marmite looks like tar and tastes like yeast. You put it on toast or in a sammich.

Haggis
01-26-2008, 02:03 AM
Vegemite?

Gravity
01-26-2008, 02:07 AM
Yes, I was joking about the marmite. When our son was in high school he went on a trip to Australia and NZ, and brought back a jar of the stuff.

My wife and I tried it.

Zounds.

I suppose that's where the phrase "acquired taste" comes from. Suffice it to say I'd kiss Haggis full on the lips before I'd willingly try marmite again.

Sober, at any rate.

Haggis
01-26-2008, 02:09 AM
Yes, I was joking about the marmite. When our son was in high school he went on a trip to Australia and NZ, and brought back a jar of the stuff.

My wife and I tried it.

Zounds.

I suppose that's where the phrase "acquired taste" comes from. Suffice it to say I'd kiss Haggis full on the lips before I'd willingly try marmite again.

Sober, at any rate.

:Jaw:

Mr Flibble
01-26-2008, 02:25 AM
Marmite is an Oz food? er, I think Oz was only discovered 20 years or so before it was found to be edible ( by a german). Are you quick workers or...?

The advertising slogan for Marmite is of course

You love it or you hate it.

Featuring various people being chased by toast with marmite on, or scarfing down bucket loads. Even the website says it.

Personally I love it, on hot toast mixed with the melted butter. And it's actually healthy!

* nerd note : In one of Pratchett's books, Rincewind invents marmite / vegemite by being a very bad cook.

So there must be more to Oz cuisine surely? It's not all prawns on the barbie and vegemite! So what is the national dish?