Canadian cuisine?

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
A couple of years ago I asked this question...back when we did not really have that many from Canada here. Thought it might be interesting to ask again.

What is considered Canadian Cuisine? Almost all other countries have some kind of distinction that makes the mouth water....the juices flow, etc.

I mean...Canadian bacon...Canadian Club.....Maple syrup....come on, help me out here.

This is the link from AW closet.
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9836&highlight=canadian+cuisine

(You folks from Ozland might be next....so watch your backs.)

J. Weiland

Lurker
Registered
Reaction score
It's like American food, only made by Canadians.

Kadea

Registered
Reaction score
Or vinegar on french fries? Even McD's hands out the vinegar packages like ketchup packages...

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I got the oddest pizza of my life in Toronto. Ordinary white-flour crust, a ketchup-like tomato sauce, and loads of bright orange sharp cheddar cheese. It was pretty much inedible. Whether that's typical fare or they can spot a tourist and unload the last of that cheese, I couldn't say, but we no longer consider pizza north of the border.

At sporting events, we've gotten both hamburgers and hot dogs with mayonnaise on the bun, prepackaged and kept warm so there's no option of "no mayonnaise, please." But the beers are large and pleasantly chilled.

Gravy on fries, yes. Or vinegar. We don't usually order fries, but I've seen it served to others.

Maryn, who loves maple candy

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score
A couple of years ago I asked this question...back when we did not really have that many from Canada here. Thought it might be interesting to ask again.

What is considered Canadian Cuisine? Almost all other countries have some kind of distinction that makes the mouth water....the juices flow, etc.

I mean...Canadian bacon...Canadian Club.....Maple syrup....come on, help me out here.

This is the link from AW closet.
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9836&highlight=canadian+cuisine

(You folks from Ozland might be next....so watch your backs.)
Moose Burgers and KTC. (ahem... .I mean KFC)

Kadea

Registered
Reaction score
Now Perogie pizza is one thing that I never would have thought to be good, but yeah, it was (and SPICY at that!).

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
back bacon

gallery_27656_2498_68815.jpg

Kadea

Registered
Reaction score
Long island iced tea also has a VERY different result in Canada compared to what you get in the US

JoeEkaitis

Certified Gray Haired Geek
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagi
I got the oddest pizza of my life in Toronto. Ordinary white-flour crust, a ketchup-like tomato sauce, and loads of bright orange sharp cheddar cheese. It was pretty much inedible. Whether that's typical fare or they can spot a tourist and unload the last of that cheese, I couldn't say, but we no longer consider pizza north of the border.
Keep heading north. There's mighty fine pizza if you go far enough.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
We have something called a Beaver Tail. Basically a deep-fried flat doughnut covered in brown sugar and cinnamon. That and a pile of poutine should keep our doctors busy into the next millenium.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
exactly.

I have to say that Canada has WAY better pizza than USA. Maryn, you must have had a bad experience. I couldn't imagine what that cheese is all about. The pizza up here is EXTREMELY good.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
exactly.

I have to say that Canada has WAY better pizza than USA. Maryn, you must have had a bad experience. I couldn't imagine what that cheese is all about. The pizza up here is EXTREMELY good.
The WORST pizza I ever had was, believe it or not, in Boston. It was made of some kind of cardboard and covered in red stuff, sporadic bits of plastic cheese and canned mushrooms (at least that's what I think they were).

Kadea

Registered
Reaction score
exactly.

yeah, there's a pizza place on every corner! They'd better be good at it!