Getting the NICEST Rejections still means no, thank you....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Novel Idea

Registered
Reaction score
Damn it, damn it, damn it! Could someone pass the tea and sympathy?

Dear ______--

Thanks so much for sending your full manuscript. I read it this week, and really enjoyed it. You write beautifully, and your characters are so vivid. The scenes in ____ are completely believable and haunting. That said, I found the ____ subplot a bit harder to swallow, and the two plot lines never really came together for me. And I'm not sure the premise of the book would draw in a big enough audience for today's publishing standards.

Weighing all of these factors, I think I'm going to have to pass on this project, but I would love to see anything else you're working on, or any revised version of this. You are a VERY talented writer, and I'd love to stay in touch with you, because I think you've got a lot of potential.

All best wishes,
Big Time New York Agent

jst5150

Vorpal Comics. Weekly Podcast. Twitch Artist. Vet
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
Wow! There's a lot of fertile ground to work with there. Sure, it means "no," but that should mean "go" to you and open up a whole new series of doors.

There are 100 people who'd WISH for a rejection like that to propel them forward and build more steam.

Everything that note says to me is that you're going to get your story published. So, keep submitting it.

jt

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
[hands orange spice tea and warm muffins]

However, if you have another ms. ready to send, this is a heck of an invitation.

Or if you can see your way to reworking this ms. This agent seems to want to rep you.

One agent said no to me, but made suggestions, and then offered to reread if I tried her suggestions. I did, and she's now my agent.

What have you got to lose?

Nari

Spinner and Weaver
Registered
Reaction score
I would surely take this letter as being one of encouragement rather than rejection. You want your work to be the best it can be and to have such encouragement makes this rejection more of a pause to repair any possible problems in the story structure than a "go away." You are being invited to resubmit either this work or another, so you might wish to look at it as only a temporary glitch in the adventure of finding a home for your story. Do not tarry, but onward march, yes?

juneafternoon

Return of the Jedi
Registered
Reaction score
Even if it's a no, dude, she called your writing beautiful. That's something. Something good.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
That's a damn good rejection - you're close.
If you have anything else in good repair send it to them now and set to work revising this one.
Agents don't say this stuff unless they mean it.

clara bow

Li'l Rug Bug
Registered
Reaction score
Wow--that rejection bites :cry:AND it's awesome :hooray:! Let us know if/when you decide to revise and resubmit--I hope it's a happily ever after!

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
Don't curse this rejection. Embrace it. They even said they'd accept a revised version of the manuscript, and that is a great thing!

Mystic Blossom

My heart's a battleground
Registered
Reaction score
Website
rachellieberman.wordpress.com
That's a wonderful rejection, hun. I'd love a rejection like that. As long as you're willing to put the time and effort into an even better manuscript, you're on the right track, and nearly there too!

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Originally Posted by Novel Idea
And I'm not sure the premise of the book would draw in a big enough audience for today's publishing standards.

Huh...does Big Time expect you to change the premise?

Exactly. Although it is a remarkably positive acceptance/rejection, this statement worries me the most. Why? Because I'm getting these identical responses back from the largest publishers. And boy, do I mean identical! How in god's name could you change a premise? Is there someway of altering it to come out unique and fresh? I would definitely look into that aspect as well as the others.

Now, go get 'em!

Tri

Novel Idea

Registered
Reaction score
Exactly, Julie Worth and Triceretops. There is NO way to change the premise. She might ask to see it again, but the book is going to be about what its about, you know. I can't make the pivotal character a teen super hero or something to better "fit the market." Heh. (It's a literary novel, by the way.)

Also, Big Time's definition of "sub-plot" is a major part of the novel. I would have to absolutely dismantle the book, and it isn't possible to revise to every agent's feedback. They are all going to have their idea of what works and what doesn't.

I realize it's an awfully nice no. But I've gotten handfuls of them already, and it's discouraging. Here's another for ya:

Dear _______,

This is such a compelling novel and you really have so much talent. Yet, and it may be simply that the way you’ve written it provokes different responses, but, unfortunately, we’re really split here and I cannot take it on. Some love the highly charged atmosphere, the power dynamics; others feel the novel as a whole is confusing. I wish I had better news, as I admire so much here, but I do want to thank you for sharing it with us again.

So after awhile, it's like a guy saying: If there were anyone, it would be YOU. Hee. But it isn't. That's the bottom line.

Thanks for all your sweet thoughts!!! I'm just going to hit the merlot tonight I think.... :)

Mystic Blossom

My heart's a battleground
Registered
Reaction score
Website
rachellieberman.wordpress.com
I do understand it's frustrating. I've gotten a couple of those, and when I do, I have the same reaction. But I guess the good news is it really does mean you're on the right track. It just might be a winding one with no apparent end.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
Thanks so much for thinking of me for THE LUPUS STRAIN. Mr. Stevenson is clearly a talented writer. I was thoroughly entertained by the lively dialogue and descriptive prose. Unfortunately, however, I'm going to pass. I'm afraid that the overall story felt a little familiar, and I was concerned about the novel standing out in such a crowded market. Again, thanks so much for thinking of me, and I wish you success in placing this novel in the right home.

Best wishes,

Just wanted to show you that you're not alone in that regard. Notice the "I'm afraid that the overall story felt a little familiar, and I was concerned about the novel standing out in such a crowded market."

We MUST carry on!

Tri

Pike

Chivalry ain't dead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.spikeo.bravejournal.com
Aggrivating, and yet, exciting! Both of you have proven to have talent. The only obstacle is hitting the current "selling" idea. Tri's already commented on this so pardon me for being repitious. Editors are increasingly becoming pickier on what they want. They're either looking for the next big market blower or the twist on an old theme to launch their line to the stars. After reading those rejections I have to say that if either of you can find that niche - you'll own the market!

I know it's no consulation but I'm highly jealous of those rejections. They sting but speak volumes about your talent. Take care and keep cranking out the stuff.

Pike

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
I understand it's frustrating, too, even if I did tell you to "embrace it." I had an agent tell me around the same thing, how much they liked the book but I needed to change the premise and add a hook if I hoped to sell in the market. I was flattered by how much they liked it, but I was dissappointed, of course.

But...somebody else liked it how it was and took a chance on it. Hopefully that's what'll happen to you too!

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
Thanks, Pike. You've got your own store of talent working for you and you're right up there. I have to agree with you that these mugs are looking for that "breakout" novel. Even my agent said that a great story isn't going to get it anymore--you have to write something that annihilates the competition. I keep thinking, do I have to annihilate my slush pals, or the top gun writers who are holding on to their slots? Either way the task is a daunting one.

I remember a saying/motto---that everything's under the sun has been done, and if you write a great, original story with a new twist, it will find a home.

I can't help but wonder just how much more influence marketing is having on editorial today. The small press seems to be unaffected by it. The big houses have narrowed their focus considerably.

Tri

Pike

Chivalry ain't dead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.spikeo.bravejournal.com
It is depressing but at the same time it pits us against ourselves to push the envelope. I'm starting to look into stories and concepts that i might not have even considered just a few years ago. I find that I've been hobbling my creativity by sticking to what i felt comfortable with and that, for me, has been a mistake. I can't speak for eveyone but I believe that we have to step it up and annihilate (thanks Tri!) our own standards as well as the slush pals.

Stomp on the competition? I know it sounds horrible. I don't mean to sound callous or flippant like "I'm better and screw you" because I have no illusions about that. I read quite a lot of outstanding work on these boards and am constantly impressed, and propelled to work my ass off to do better. But we are fighting against other writers - and presumably others here on the boards - to get into print. We have to out do each other in order to succeed. Ugly but true.

I was reading a writer's blog this morning that said the same basic thing: there's a lot of competitors out there so get it in gear and shine brighter then them all! My hope is that all of you find your place in the sun, but it's not going to come without a lot of sticky obstacles and serious let downs. Until then, good luck and good writing!

Pike

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
You know, I'd think about looking at agents outside of NY (Nathan Bransford and Kristen Nelson come immediately to mind) and approaching them with your manuscipt. Both of them seem willing to work with an author to repair trouble spots nefore submitting their manuscripts to the publishing houses. The rejections you've posted lead me to believe that some agent who thinks outside the NYC box might be more willing to take it on.

For what it's worth, there you go. Good luck to you!

Moon Daughter

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry about the rejection. But hey! You got tons of wonderful comments, so keep your chin up!

Status
Not open for further replies.