Male teachers in the early childhood classroom

KansasWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking for quotable (full name) comments and opinions regarding male teachers in the early childhood classroom. This means infants to age 8. The article will look at the challenges men have, concerns/bias of parents, ways of turning issues into non-issues, historical viewpoints, and more.

I'd be really happy if there are any parents there who, lacking a positive male role model at home, have something great to say about their child's male teacher. Alternatively, if you have something not-so-great, feel free to speak up!

Thanks!
KW

ona

Registered
Reaction score
There is plenty of research on the subject, and many "pop psych" books.

Boys do need male role models, and encouragement from teachers, as girls mature earlier and the boys tend to lack attention (span).

It is well known that co-ed classes are civilized by the girls. Good for the boys, but not the girls, who flourish in girl-only schools.

The boys monopolize classroom time in mixed classes. Girls tend to be obedient and good, God help us.

Last edited:

FinbarReilly

Registered
Reaction score
Website
twosparrows.5gigs.com
That's changed quite a bit recently. Since the 90's, classes have become more girl-friendly, with boys taking a backseat, with their grades going down. Just as an update of sorts...

As to the OP: I would suggest going to some parent discussion boards and asking the question; it may be of more use...

FR

KansasWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip Finbar - I hadn't thought about that and will head over there.

Ona - oh sure, I'll be doing research and speaking with experts, but as you know, it's often great to get some "real people" quotes in an article.