Home theaters...

Inky

Eat, Sleep, Write...
Registered
Reaction score
Mine's a 65". Makes for an awesome viewing of LOTR...StarWars...closeups of Orlando...hey, priorities!
But it has a tendancy to backfire too. How? Well, whenever there's a nipple shot..ugh...it's 'bout the size of mi' hand--MY EYES! MY EYES!!!
Course...my husband thinks THAT is what cinema viewing is for...freak!

Hobbes

Sneaky. In a good way.
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. WHat's it like to have so much money as to put into a room like that? What's the rest of the estate look like?

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
Home theaters are popular in the new McMansions out in eastern Long Island. Although I've never seen any quite like those. Holy Bat Cave!

Joycecwilliams

Registered
Reaction score

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I absolutely adore the bat cave. If I had that kind of money, I'd want one, with an 110" plasma TV (yes, they make them that big now).

Ray, whose real name is Bruce Wayne

Inky

Eat, Sleep, Write...
Registered
Reaction score
So Inky, you and hubby watch a lot of "adult" films?
Nah, but it seems these days, a female lead can't be in a movie 'less she signs away rights to her boobs. No nip shot, you ain't gonna be a star!
Funny thing is, ye' nevah see a testicle shot...just sayin'....

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
Theme rooms can be done for a moderate amount of money, or a large amount of money. I thought those were pretty cool, and don't know what I'd do if I ever put in a home theater.
I already know what I'd like to do to my unfinished basement (pool table, bar...) but don't have the dough.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
OMG THESE ARE SOOOO COOL! I thought the Batcave one was teh awesomez (Maestrowork, hate to burst your bubble, but *I* am Bruce Wayne)... until I saw the Nautilus. OHHHH MAN.

Seriously, though, you could make one of these yourself for much less than these exorbitant price tags. They're basically paying for the designer. All you need is an extra room and mid-level carpentry skills.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My dad has a ginormous theatre. His is done in classic cinema style with vintage movie posters and art deco styling. And all the seats are actually recliners. With cupholders. Yeah. Guess where I watch my movies? And I help myself to the drink vendor and large popcorn maker.

Kadea

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, but how fun would that be to have... Talk about having a movie night around the house...

Honalo

Registered
Reaction score
Ah, the loopy rich. Gotta love them. Absolutely no concept of anything else in the world except their own hedonistic wants. They are truly in a kingdom of their own.

Sorry, bat cave fans: I can't imagine having that in my house - I think I'd start feeling like a canary. I'd feel like Karen Allen trapped with the snakes in the Indiana Jones room and the Titanic glass roof makes me think of that woman floating in the water in her nightgown.

Do I sound sour? I have personal experiences with the loopy rich; oh, the stories. I never saw any bat caves but I did go into a certain boxer's trophy room.

But trying to separate myself from everything vile the loopy rich reprsent, I will concede that the home theater is a true extravagance that would be worth having ...

if I myself were loopy rich.
Well, rich, but never loopy.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Ah, the loopy rich. Gotta love them. Absolutely no concept of anything else in the world except their own hedonistic wants. They are truly in a kingdom of their own.
And one day I hope to join them. Sorry, but having a posh home theater has been my dream for years. Nothing loopy about enjoying great audio and video electronics and a room to show it off in.

WarrenP

Registered
Reaction score
I know this field very well, having written a book about building dedicated home theaters, and currently producing a DVD series on the same.

You can build a wonderful home theater for about 10K. I've been in amazing theaters that were well over 200K, and I personally enjoyed my own first 'home theater' which I put together for about 4K.

Myself, I am going to start on a new theater this Summer. It will take me about 2 years to finish, as I will be doing all the work myself, and it will not be cheap when it is done. But, for me, it will be worth every penny and every drop of sweat.

The theaters in that link are nice, but most folks give this desiger, Theo Kalomirakis, the nod as the most well-known in the industry. Feel free to go to his site to see some of his work. The stuff is artwork... beautiful...

http://www.tktheaters.com/gallery/ then click the images on the left hand side for the details and more pictures of each theater.