... how do I work the three dots?

Status
Not open for further replies.

juneafternoon

Return of the Jedi
Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone! General wondering of things: how do you use the three dots?
blah...blah

-or-
blah... blah.
Difference is the space in between the three dots and the latter word.

I don't know how to emply it to this sentence:
I cracked a smile. “You’ll see that money again… hopefully.”

Thanks in advance to all you fabulous grammar gurus!

Prawn

Writing is finite,revising infinite
Registered
Reaction score
June, what word processor do you use? MS word handles this just fine.

juneafternoon

Return of the Jedi
Registered
Reaction score
I juggle back and forth between MS Word and Wordperfect, and neither is offering particularly entrenched insight. I just grabbed a book off my bookshelf (Twilight) though, and it seems that blah... blah is acceptable, so I'll go with that.

KTC, thanks for that! It pointed me somewhere in the vicinity of Correct Usage :D

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Do remember that there's always a blank space after ellipses, so it's never blah...blah but blah... blah. IIRC, Word started inserting the necessary blank around Word 6.0 (that's a best-guess) but it didn't always, so you may have to watch for it yourself.

Maryn, providing this information as a public service

juneafternoon

Return of the Jedi
Registered
Reaction score
Maryn, you're the grammar goddess. Thanks!

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Do remember that there's always a blank space after ellipses

That's true (and you are a godess) but the explanation is slightly misleading if we are discussing ellipsis points (also "ellipses") for U.S. publications.

There is not only a space after an ellipsis point, but before and after each one. So the example is "blah . . . blah" or blah-space-dot-space-dot-space-dot-space-blah.

Although many U.S. editors only use the three-dot ellipses at the end of a sentence, technically, if ellipses come at the end, they follow the period, and it's four spaced dots, but no space before the period, of course. For example, Blah blah blah. . . .

I checked this information with my former newspaper editor, Modern Language Association, and The Chicago Manual of Style. Where have I erred?

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
I checked this information with my former newspaper editor, Modern Language Association, and The Chicago Manual of Style. Where have I erred?

That's correct as far as the Chicago and MLA style manuals go, but there are a lot of publications that don't like or use the spaces in ellipses. I think everyone should probably do whatever they're comfortable with, because the copyeditors will change it to the house style anyway.

Appalachian Writer

Somewhere in the hills....
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with our IceCreamEmpress. Although I teach English at a small state university, I certainly wouldn't take points off for a simple ...[dotdotdot] I also wouldn't take points off for a . . . [dot space dot space dot]. I think it's a matter of preference, and that the meaning is understood, whether in a research paper (I had to leave something out to make my point ellipsis) or just a pause ellipsis in fiction. Keep writing and if you reach the editor in some publishing house, they'll sort it out.

FennelGiraffe

It's green they say
Registered
Reaction score
Be aware that if you type an ellipsis in MS Word, the so-called AutoCorrect feature will convert those three separate dots into a single character consisting of three dots. But that's a non-standard character, so if you then copy and paste the text elsewhere, you're likely to end up with some weird random character instead.

What you need to do is beat Word into submission disable AutoCorrect. For Word 2003, go to Tools, then AutoCorrect Options. Then, on the AutoCorrect tab, untick the box for "Replace text as you type". (I don't know where it is in Word 2007, but I suppose it's similar.) If you're curious, just below that there's a long list of things Word has been replacing without your knowledge.

While you're in AutoCorrect Options, look at the AutoFormat tab, too. That has more things you should turn off, like smart quotes and em-dashes.

Deleted member 42

It's a typesetting issue, when it's just the three dots, otherwise known as an ellipses.

Just be consistent; the publisher's typesetter will know which of the two completely acceptabe and equally "correct" styles is preferred.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Our editor (and all the others I've worked with) prefer:

word-space-dot-space-dot-space-dot-space-word, or:

word . . . word

Anything else gets a growly email, because it's something the copy editor will have to go back and fix in the manuscript by hand. It's hard to look for codes---which is what Word turns the punctuation into if given the opportunity.

Just one opinion, though. I'm sure there are editors out there who don't care.

Deleted member 42

What ever you do, you DON'T want to use the code or the special ellipses character, and yes, Word, curse it, might try to substitute the special character.

The problem is that the character looks ugly, and it's not even available in all fonts, and it's not cross-platform.

Englishmaid

On extended leave from a ladies' slick, my privileges include tormenting
sister editors with daily e-mail. None can locate among the magazine’s many references a single U.S. style manual or grammar handbook not calling for ellipses constructed from dots equally separated by a space as Chase and Cathy C point out.

A senior editor remembers a discussion about the proliferation of unspaced
dots. A consensus was that compressed versions come from various Miss Grammars on-line and Conan the Grammarians in newsletters who misunderstand the manuals. It’s now passed on like internet prose à la ee cummings–another lovely editors must endure.

As to “do as you please and let the copy editor handle it”: Yes, we circle
errors to be corrected by final transcribers (for the most part, “type” is
no longer “set” by hand or machine but electronically engraved).

However, there are times when circles proliferate to the point where junior editors such as I place submissions in circular files to be processed by the
janitorial team.

I do wonder why anyone teaching writing would direct students to a blurb from a questionable source rather to a handbook adopted for student use, but then I am forever amazed at the current bent to despise anything perceived as a “rule.”

veronie

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.preferredword.com
Here's the dope on those dots (from a newspaper copy editor's perspective). The following guideline always made it easy for me.

Treat an ellipses like a three-letter word. So, that means there is a space before and after it:

"Blah blah blah ... blah blah blah."

The same goes if it ends a sentence and another sentence begins after it. Put your period to end the sentence, then the ellipses, then the next sentence:

"Blah blah blah I told her. ... Later I said that blah blah blah."

Deleted member 42

A senior editor remembers a discussion about the proliferation of unspaced
dots. A consensus was that compressed versions come from various Miss Grammars on-line and Conan the Grammarians in newsletters who misunderstand the manuals. It’s now passed on like internet prose à la ee cummings–another lovely editors must endure.

No, it's because MicrosoftWord's autoformat "feature" substitutes the high ASCII ellipses character for anything resembling an ellipsis unless a writer turns off said feature.

As to “do as you please and let the copy editor handle it”: Yes, we circle
errors to be corrected by final transcribers (for the most part, “type” is
no longer “set” by hand or machine but electronically engraved).

Over in the colonial wilderness we still call it setting type, whether it's cold, or digital and done using Quark Express, FrameMaker, or Pagemaker.

I do wonder why anyone teaching writing would direct students to a blurb from a questionable source rather to a handbook adopted for student use, but then I am forever amazed at the current bent to despise anything perceived as a “rule.”

Possibly because the most commonly used style manual in the hinterlands, Chicago, puts it this way:

"The ellipsis points are printed on the line like periods, not above it like multiplication dots in mathematics. They are usually separated from each other and from the text and any contiguous punctuation by 3-to-em spaces (Chicago 13th; 10.36)."

Writers get to "3-to-em spaces" and their eyes glaze over . . . ;)

BarbJ

Registered
Reaction score
As the different posts point out, it's a matter of the editors choice, not of what's correct by which authority. My prefernce is to do a sp...sp mid-sentence, and a no-sp...sp end sentence. I've been told this is correct, and I've been told this is incorrect. Both views are right. So I'll go with my first irrelevent reply, which was:

... :D

girlyswot

Registered
Reaction score
Website
myromancereviews.wordpress.com
I cracked a smile. “You’ll see that money again… hopefully.”

I know this wasn't what you were asking but, on the whole, I'd just avoid using ellipses like these if at all possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.