Closing For A Query Letter

ExposingCorruption

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Can I please get everyone's opinion on a closing for a query letter?

Should I close with "Sincerely," or should I close with "Sincerely Yours," or does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Danthia

I've used sincerely, regards, thank you for your time, and best wishes. It all depends on the tone of the query and if the agent has expressed any preferences on thier blogs or websites. I don't think it matter unless you're unprofessional, too cutsey or too familar. It's a professional letter, so anything that falls under that style works.

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
I don't think it matter unless you're unprofessional, too cutsey or too familar.

Yeah, I strongly recommend against, "Dude!" or "Love always," or "Your future client." Any agent that would get their panties in a twist over "Regards," vs. "Sincerely," vs. "Sincerely yours," has a real problem.

For the record, I always use "Sincerely," in all my business correspondence.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
I'd go for yours sincerely, because sincerely yours sounds like the ending of a formal love letter. You wouldn't want to scare the agent.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Can I please get everyone's opinion on a closing for a query letter?

Should I close with "Sincerely," or should I close with "Sincerely Yours," or does anyone have any other suggestions?
Don't sweat the small stuff. Seriously.

- Victoria

Spiral Stairs

Registered
Reaction score
You can never go wrong with "Sincerely," and if I recall correctly, that's what I used in my round of querying. (Then again, that was a smashing failure.)

I do like "Best regards," though, as "Sincerely" is a little generic. In my professional life, I use "Best regards" for e-mail or if I want to establish a more collegial relationship than usual.

If I ever query again (even odds), I think I'll probably use "Best regards,". (Note: You don't capitalize the second word of your closing.)

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
If I have to start querying again I'm going to sign them all "Love you Madly!" and "Hugs and Kisses"
Just to see if that helps...

RLSMiller

Registered
Reaction score
I use Sincerely for the initial query, and Warm regards for e-mails post-request.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
If I have to start querying again I'm going to sign them all "Love you Madly!" and "Hugs and Kisses"

Three words seems a bit wordy to me. I was thinking about some one word ones like "Yay!" or "Snuggles".

Working up to "Yours desperately" if the cuddly approach fails.

ExposingCorruption

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Three words seems a bit wordy to me. I was thinking about some one word ones like "Yay!" or "Snuggles".

Working up to "Yours desperately" if the cuddly approach fails.

If you're going to get wordy, then how about "Confident that you won't pass up the opportunity to represent me"?

Marva

Registered
Reaction score
I use Cordially. I don't know, but I just don't think I'm so sincere, but I'm certainly friendly toward any agent who'd like to take a look at my stuff.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I uses Sincerely, but I'm considering going with "Warm Smushy Kisses" so it adds the right amount of stalkerish desperation.

dantem42

Registered
Reaction score

Laughing...if your novel has been flying off the shelves, you can sign them "Yours in Lucifer" if you want and no one will blink; they'll just chalk it up to those eccentricities successful authors are more or less permitted, like dressing weird at parties and drinking to excess.